Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,698 members, 7,802,059 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:32 AM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (63) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (665683 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 1:05pm On Oct 27, 2015
I wish our states will stop receiving money from the Federal Government maybe they will sit up.Oyo state's Gemstones and arable land,Ondo state's oil,timber and Cocoa,Osun state's Gold and tourism,Lagos state's location and population,Ogun state's limestone and industry, and Ekiti's tourism is enough.This oil money is a curse to the south-west,It has made us lazy

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 27, 2015
I've seen so many threads about the Fulani-Yoruba elders issue.I said it 2 days ago that the Yoruba-Hausa or Fulani relationship is a hoax.They have no atom of respect for anyone in this country and some people wonder why I say they own it.We can only reply to the things they say but the deed has been done and the fact that he had enough guts to say those things in front of Yoruba elders is a big slap in the face of the whole Yoruba race.The confidence the average Fulani has in this country is indescribable,reminds me of the kind of things Sanusi said in his article.I can't remember the name of the Hausa politician who held an interview on Channels and was insulting the whole Yoruba race during the whole Saraki-Tinubu brouhaha.There are several examples we can give

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 1:48pm On Oct 27, 2015
Locked in...

Time to mark the register today.

Shalom. cool

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:50pm On Oct 27, 2015
Missy89:

The subtitle thingy is a headache lol
They really need to improve in their subtitling of movies. I watched one where Jide Kosoko calls a woman, a murderer. The person subtitling it, probably thinking murderer is masculine, subtitled it to "you are a murderess."
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by totit: 1:54pm On Oct 27, 2015
CabbieAC:

Yeah we can come up with ideas but how do we put it into effect?Just typing on Nairaland is obviously not the way to go.We need to be more direct and i have no idea how we can go about that

What we need could be an online...radio station.

What I call Odua/SW people's voice

With such a platform and million of oduas people followers?
I can assure you that as a tribe we would be able to voice out our ideas, political analysis,et al and force our leaders to act on our interest as a tribe and or people cheesy

I am more than prepare to contribute!
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 1:57pm On Oct 27, 2015
totit:

What we need could be an online...radion station.

What I call Odua/SW people's voice

With such a platform and million of oduas people followers?
I can assure you that as a tribe we would be able to voice out our ideas, political analysis,et al and force our leaders to act on our interest as a tribe and or people cheesy

But that's political though, I meant how do we transform our ideas on how to develop the region into reality
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by totit: 2:03pm On Oct 27, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

But that's political though, I meant how do we transform our ideas on how to develop the region into reality

Ofcourse, the radio will stand as a platform where Odua people's youth can discuss, analyse and come up with difference ideas/strategies, and with one voice and millions of youth followers? I can bet we will achieve out aims.

All we need is followers and members of " Odua people's (youth) voice" and with member both home and abroad? I can assure you that we can!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:03pm On Oct 27, 2015
IlekeHD:

Start at 0:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AE1PTAfRms?t=17s

Kunle and co still have a lot to do.....most of their movies are in English and I doubt they're into the Yoruba aspect. Not that tit's totally a bad thing since we need to expand our tentacles on both Yoruba/Englsih parts of nollywood.
"Irapada" by Kunle Afolayan is purely Yoruba. In his movies where English is spoken, he usually use a cast made up of people that can speak Yoruba. In "Figurine" Ramsey Noah speaks Yoruba. During the audition for "October 1", some of the cast said that their spoken Yoruba was tested before given roles. Their is nothing tribal here, just to reflect the setting which is Yoruba. In "Phone Swap", there was no such thing.
Tunde Kelani on the other hand, does films in Yoruba and English. In "Saworoide", "Kosegbe" and "Oleku", Yoruba is spoken. In "Narrow Path", it's English that is spoken. In some, both languages are spoken, like "Maami" and "Arugba."
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:05pm On Oct 27, 2015
9jacrip:

No, they're different persons.

Here's a link to a news on the tourist: https://www.nairaland.com/2537162/adedamola-aderemi-late-ooni-ifes

I hope the Giesi man takes us back to tradition without forgetting the necessary developments Ife lacks.

Thank God they're.

I honestly don't know why Yorubas of this generation can't separate politics from Yoruba interests, especially when it involves the culture/tradition of Yorubas. Why would someone aspiring to be an Ooni of Ife - a place regarded as the home of all Yorubas - go visit an emir, in the first place? That's just stupidity and absurd. That's why the Kwacoonfool idi.iot had the audacity to march all the way to Oyo to tell folks to shut up. Not even Lagos, Ekiti, Ilorin, Ondo, Osun, or Ogun - the heifer went to Oyo. That's how fvcked up Yorubas have become - silly idi.ots who sold their birth rights for a plate of porridge.

I know some might want to allude to pseudo-sophistication and being pseudo-civilised. But the Queen of England will never go to Ireland and tell them to shut up, unless she wants them to stone her. The Chinese President Xi Jinping just visited the UK - and no one was brave enough to mention human right abuses in China. And no one will ever be brave enough to travel to China to cite human right abuses. That's how you project power. A lot of these folks are utterly useless and it's funny how they always try stupidly to mask it with other obtuse crap.

I think it's high time Yoruba youths formed another party that will serve Yoruba interests...the two parties - PDP and APC - are just useless with blinkered miscreants who care more about the crumbs they get than use their brain cells. APC doesn't even offer anyone anything. The APC folks are the dumbest political strategists ever - they never bothered to get a nice deal before selling their souls for crumbs. Now they want everyone to keep playing their losers' game, while selling Yorubas out. As for PDP - those ones are just useless, no point talking about them.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:08pm On Oct 27, 2015
Totit there use to be an Oduduwa voice station but it never really got support.I don't think it still exists
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by totit: 2:11pm On Oct 27, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

But that's political though, [b]I meant how do we transform our ideas on how to develop the region into reality[/b]

We need a voice, a platform.
If we can come together under a platform we can not achieve anything nor have a common interest as a tribe.

Let's build a platform where yoruba youth both home and abroad can discuss our common interest then everything will fall into place...
Don't you agree?

It's as simple at that!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by totit: 2:13pm On Oct 27, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Totit there use to be an Oduduwa voice station but it never really got support.I don't think it still exists

No. This time it's gonna by the youth, for the youth and our common interests..

We must pitch out tent under one umbrella....
That we failed before doesn't guarantee we will fail again.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:14pm On Oct 27, 2015
Teaser for the day. Genius and I think he's the only black professor at Oxford University

Dapo Akande

Dapo Akande is Yamani Fellow at St Peter’s College, University of Oxford where he is also University Lecturer in Public International Law and Co-Director of the Oxford Institute for Ethics, Law and Armed Conflict (ELAC) & the Oxford Martin Programme on Human Rights for Future Generations. He is the current Convenor of the Oxford Law Faculty's Public International Law Group. He has held visiting professorships at Yale Law School (where he was also Robinna Foundation International Fellow) and the University of Miami School of Law. He is (or has been) a member of the boards of several journals, academic and professional organizations, including: the Editorial Board of the American Journal of International Law; the Scientific Advisory Board of the European Journal of International Law; the Editorial Board of the African Journal of International and Comparative Law; the Advisory Council of the British Institute of International and Comparative Law; the Executive Council of the British Branch of the International Law Association; and the Advisory Board of the International Centre for Transitional Justice.

He has held visiting professorships at Yale Law School (where he was also Robinna Foundation International Fellow), the University of Miami School of Law and the Catolica Global Law School, Lisbon. Before taking up his position in Oxford in 2004, he was Lecturer in Law at the University of Nottingham School of Law (1998-2000) and at the University of Durham (2000-2004). From 1994 to 1998, he taught international law (part-time) at the London School of Economics and at Christ's College and Wolfson College, University of Cambridge.

Dapo has advised States, international organizations and non-governmental organizations on matters of international law. He has advised and assisted counsel or provided expert opinions in cases before several international tribunals and national courts. He has worked with the United Nations on issues relating to international humanitarian law and human rights law; acted as consultant for the African Union on the international criminal court and on the law relating to terrorism; and also as a consultant for the Commonwealth Secretariat on the law of armed conflict and international criminal law. He has also provided training on international law to diplomats, military officers and other government officials. He has varied research interests within the field of general international law and has published articles on aspects of the law of armed conflict, international criminal law, the law of international organizations, and international dispute settlement.

Research Interests: Public International Law; Application of International Law in National Courts; International Law and the Use of Force; Law of International Organizations; International Dispute Settlement.

Media expertise: Many appearances on BBC News, Radio, World Service and African Service on issues of international law and conflict worldwide. Comment for newspapers including The Guardian and Le Monde.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:21pm On Oct 27, 2015
sanmibukunmi:
on nollywood Yoruba palava, I think the problem is that it has been left in the hands of illirrates. for example I can tell you categorically that 90% of our so called actors and actresses no little about movies and its production not to talk of being educated enough to understand the great importance of movies. you will notice that the two frontiers or let me say the two best movie producers in Yoruba land I.e afolayan and kelani took time to really study it. they were not just introduced to it by one uncle or smtin. they knew what they wanted and they went after it. unlike now where most of them are just rag tag area boys and they just join a movie production. I want Yoruba land to be in such a way that people that go to the university to study anything about movies are allowed to take center stage in producing it. even if they don't study it in the university, they should have gone through some sort of training. our script writers, producers and directors should start looking inwards into Yoruba folklores and produce movies from them. Americans gave produced several folklores movies and they were hits. when will we start making movies from books such as " Ogboju Ode Ninu igbo irunmole......"
The use of people that read drama or related courses in the universities is one of the live wires of Hollywood. In most of their movies, if you check them on Wikipedia, you will realize that their actors are mostly graduates of drama and fine arts. In Yoruba movies, Tunde Kelani did this. Take "Kosegbe," for example: Peter Fatomilola, Laide Adewale, Yemi Shodimu, Kola Oyewo, the man that played the role of Ajepe/Commissioner of Police in "Saworoide, etc are lecturers and graduates of Department of Dramatic Arts, OAU, Ile-Ife.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:21pm On Oct 27, 2015
totit:

No. This time it's gonna by the youth, for the youth and our common interests..

We must pitch out tent under one umbrella....
That we failed before doesn't guarantee we will fail again.

That was also by the youths and it was also for our common interest and still never got support.Don't forget that was during the period Yorubas felt marginalized in the scheme of things.Now that the so-called Yoruba party APC is now in power and things have gotten better, i wonder how a Yoruba radio station will fare.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:23pm On Oct 27, 2015
Do you know rapper, Nelly, who sold over 30 million records and his investments in apple bottoms and VOKAL designers? If you do, then you should know the brain behind both Apple Bottoms and VOKAL - Yomi Martin - a Yoruba son.

Yomi Martin

[img]http://4.bp..com/_72Fq2ASEDsQ/SpWdy6mdBeI/AAAAAAAADbU/_CNRN-6T-k8/s320/yomi-martin_apple-bottoms.jpg[/img]

Yomi Martin turned a $300 investment into a $22 million business. In 1997, Martin and local rappers Nelly and Kyjuan each kicked in $100 to have 30 T-shirts made featuring the St. Lunatics music group. Martin then sold the shirts for $20 each at a concert on Laclede's Landing.
"I was just being young and enterprising, and one thing led to another," Martin said.

Today, Martin is chief executive of Vokal Clothing, which has evolved from T-shirts to an entire urban clothing line that includes jeans, jerseys, jackets, sweatpants, hats and headbands. The company's headquarters is in the fashion district in New York City. Martin, who lives in St. Louis, also has offices here on Washington Avenue.

Martin now is working on a deal for a new, upscale urban line called A-Klass, which has more of a corporate casual look to it. The line should be available in the next two years, he said.

"We're getting older, and we're growing," Martin said. "We don't wear sweatsuits seven days a week anymore. We're wearing buttoned shirts and nice jeans."

"We started living together and started the whole rap thing," Martin said. "I couldn't rap. I think my rap career lasted about a half hour."
Martin considers Nelly a mentor. "My father wasn't around too much, so Nelly told me the ways of the world from a male standpoint," Martin said.

Joseph Hipskind, an attorney with Stinson Morrison Hecker who nominated Martin, said he fits the mold of the 30 Under 30 award.
"There are very few individuals under 30 who have accomplished as much as Yomi," Hipskind said
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:28pm On Oct 27, 2015
So Dapo Akande is the only black professor at Oxford and Nike Okundaye the only woman who did not attend university that lectures at Harvard

GOD BLESS THE YORUBA RACE

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:30pm On Oct 27, 2015
He's a regular contributor on Guardian UK and you can't miss the erudite and intelligent wordsmith on there. grin

Toyin Agbetu

Toyin Agbetu is a father, writer, educator, artist-activist and Pan African community worker. He was born in Hackney, London, UK on April 13, 1967 and is an African of Yoruba heritage, Ogun spirit. As an independent film director his works include Maafa: Truth 2007, Maisha: Solutions and The Walk. He has participated in numerous panel discussions including the Oxford Unions' This house would make reparation for colonialism debate and been interviewed for various TV, radio and film productions on community issues ranging from African history to home education.

During the 1980 - 90’s he formed his own record labels, Unyque Artists and Intrigue Records and became a prolific musician releasing numerous recordings on various major and independent labels. After his fathers passing in 1996, he founded the Ligali Organisation (2000) in his name, where as an educationalist and journalist he has published political, social and cultural media for African people worldwide.

As Head of Social and Education Policy for Ligali, Toyin has also been responsible for a number of initiatives including the Stuff You Should Know initiative aimed at informing young people of their rights around stop and search, the No N Word campaign focusing on stemming the rampant use and negative reclamation of the offensive ‘n word’ in media and social institutions and supporting calls for the establishment of a national African Remembrance Day in the UK every August (started by the African Remembrance Day Committee) and an annual three minutes silence to remember the Ancestors during Notting Hill Carnival in London (started by Phemy Williams).

Late 2007, he started writing a weekly column called Nyansapo for the New Nation, a national newspaper for the African community. In 2009, he begun broadcasting a weekly interactive community radio program called the Pan African Drum. On the 5 June 2010 he resigned as the head of the Ligali organisation to become its curator-administrator. He home educates his children on a part time basis with his wife and is a university student of Education and Community Development alongside Human Rights and Constitutional law.

Toyin is a published author, his books include Ukweli - A Political and Spiritual Basis for Pan Africanism, Revoetry - Poems form an African British Perspective and The Manual: The Rules for Men.

Through Ligali he has authored several reports including; Jesus Says Sorry: The Anatomy of a Political Apology for Slavery, Declaration of Protest to the 2007 Commemoration of the Bicentenary of the British Parliamentary Abolition, The Making of an Impoverished History: From G8 to Live8 and Addressing Maafa denial and slavery apologists.

Toyin believes that Pan Africanism only works when politics and spirituality is at the heart of its teachings and that its ethos of education and community development only occurs when the spiritual essence is peace making and the most political expression is that of progressive community building.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:30pm On Oct 27, 2015
Economic Competitiveness accross South-western states

Ogun state

-Ogun state is one of Africa’s largest industrial centres.
-Ogun has the highest number of registered universities in Nigeria (nine in all)
-Ogun is rich in mineral resources including extensive fertile soil with savannah belt in North- Western part suitable for cattle rearing.
-Ogun has a Large area of eco-tourism centre
-Ogun is the home of obanta shrine
-Ogun is the home of ofada rice production

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:33pm On Oct 27, 2015
Ekiti State

-A Large number of symbols to the uniqueness of her mountains and hills it possesses.
-Ikogosi springs is the only place in the world where warm and cold water occur naturally side by side. cool
-Ekiti has the highest yield per hectare for cassava and the best grade of cocoa.
-Land mass for arable farm product
-Agro and Agri unit- watermelon and bee keeping
-Tourism corridor: Ikogosi warm and cold spring
-High producer of cassava for biofuel
-Home of aquaculture

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:35pm On Oct 27, 2015
Debo Adegbile

Debo Patrick Adegbile (born December 1966) is an American lawyer in private practice who was nominated to serve as the United States Assistant Attorney General for the United States Department of Justice Civil Division. The Senate rejected his nomination because he had filed a brief arguing that there was racial discrimination in jury selection for the trial of Mumia Abu-Jamal, a convicted and allegedly-confessed murderer of a law enforcement officer.

Adegbile also worked for the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund and as a senior counsel on the staff of the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary.

Born Adebowale Patrick Akande Adegbile in New York City, Adegbile is the son of a Nigerian father and an Irish immigrant mother. He was raised by his single mother. He also was a child actor on the children's TV show Sesame Street during the 1970s, playing the character Debo and performing in episodes for nine years.

Adegbile studied at Lehman College in 1986 and 1987 and earned a bachelor's degree in 1991 from Connecticut College. He then earned a law degree from New York University School of Law in 1994.

During law school, Adegbile served as a legal assistant in the summer of 1991 for the New York law firm Solin & Breindel and then was a summer associate during the summer of 1992 for Morrison & Foerster. In the summer of 1993, Adegbile served as a summer associate for Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison. He then joined the firm full-time as an associate in the firm's litigation department in 1994, holding that position until 2001.

In 2001, Adegbile joined the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, where he served as assistant counsel from 2001 until 2004, associate director of litigation from 2004 until 2007, director of litigation from 2007 until 2010, associate director-counsel/director of litigation from 2010 until 2014, acting president and director counsel from 2012 until 2013, and special counsel in 2013. Adegbile argued his first case before the United States Supreme Court in 2008, making a defense of the Voting Rights Act.

In October 2011, blogger Ed Whelan reported that the White House was considering nominating Adegbile to one of three vacancies at the time on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. Shortly thereafter, The Washington Post reported that President Obama had asked the American Bar Association to evaluate Adegbile's credentials, but the White House did not submit his name.

In 2013, Adegbile joined the staff of the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary as a senior counsel with a focus on legislative matters.

On November 18, 2013, President Obama nominated Adegbile to serve as Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Rights Division, to succeed Thomas Perez, who had left the position to serve as United States Secretary of Labor.

U.S Senators from both parties objected to Adegbile's signing of an appeal for Black Panther member Mumia Abu-Jamal who was convicted in 1982 for the first-degree murder of Daniel Faulkner, a Philadelphia police officer, on December 9, 1981. Mumia Abu-Jamal was sentenced to death, although the death sentence later was vacated because of problems with jury instructions. Adegbile and other lawyers filed an unsuccessful amicus curiae brief with the United States Supreme Court in 2009, arguing that the conviction was invalid because of racial discrimination in jury selection.

In January 2014, Adegbile's nomination was returned to Obama, who renominated Adegbile within days.

On February 6, 2014, the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary reported Adegbile's nomination to the full Senate in a 10–8, party-line vote. On February 27, 2014, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid filed for cloture on Adegbile's nomination, in an effort to cut off a filibuster by Republican senators.

On March 5, 2014, the U.S. Senate failed to advance Adegbile's nomination in a 47–52 vote blocking his confirmation. Senate Republicans unanimously voted against him, particularly because of his appeal for Abu-Jamal, along with seven Democratic Senators.
On September 15, 2014, Adegbile announced his withdrawal as a nominee to be assistant attorney general, and that he would be going into private practice, joining the law firm of Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by sanmibukunmi: 2:36pm On Oct 27, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
I've seen so many threads about the Fulani-Yoruba elders issue.I said it 2 days ago that the Yoruba-Hausa or Fulani relationship is a hoax.They have no atom of respect for anyone in this country and some people wonder why I say they own it.We can only reply to the things they say but the deed has been done and the fact that he had enough guts to say those things in front of Yoruba elders is a big slap in the face of the whole Yoruba race.The confidence the average Fulani has in this country is indescribable,reminds me of the kind of things Sanusi said in his article.I can't remember the name of the Hausa politician who held an interview on Channels and was insulting the whole Yoruba race during the whole Saraki-Tinubu brouhaha.There are several examples we can give
Our greedy and hungry politicians caused it. they have sold themselves cheap and hence they look worthless in their sight. where i served in ago-are in oyo state, i witnessed the menace of these so called fulanis. i noticed its not that we yorubas are cowards or we are weak, it is because of our elders. the cheifs in those communities have been bribed and even when the people try to revolt, they call the cops on them. and at the end of the day, a solution is not arrived at. see one on one, a fulani man wont be able to face a yoruba man or even any man from any tribe for that matter. they are weak and have very low stamina. what they use is political power and weapons. i believe to end this fulani menace, we need to wake our youth and let them know that there are times when we have to let go of elderly respect and try to do things our way. i tild people in the community i served in that if fulann people start getting missing one by one, they wont bring thier cattles near their domain again. lets hands off all those politicians that have sold our race so cheap and lets start making them respect in whatever manner we might need to employ.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 2:36pm On Oct 27, 2015
zimoni:

Egbon, it should be Osun. We Ijeshas have countless Billionaires(hope I've not just bought a job for myself).

And we also admire Ijebus and respect them for their success.

Ijebu No 1. RESPECT. Too many Billionaires. Too much MONEY.

I think you are right, but what I don't admire about them is that they don't build or stay in osun (or there locality. most of them prefer having there in another place rather than there place of origin.
I could remember one of the nominees of ooni of ife (the owner of oduduwa university) apart from the institution, all other companies and assets is outside osun which is not suppose to be so.
osun needs investors like never before.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by sanmibukunmi: 2:40pm On Oct 27, 2015
Shymm3x:

Thank God they're.

I honestly don't know why Yorubas of this generation can't separate politics from Yoruba interests, especially when it involves the culture/tradition of Yorubas. Why would someone aspiring to be an Ooni of Ife - a place regarded as the home of all Yorubas - go visit an emir, in the first place? That's just stupidity and absurd. That's why the Kwacoonfool idi.iot had the audacity to march all the way to Oyo to tell folks to shut up. Not even Lagos, Ekiti, Ilorin, Ondo, Osun, or Ogun - the heifer went to Oyo. That's how fvcked up Yorubas have become - silly idi.ots who sold their birth rights for a plate of porridge.

I know some might want to allude to pseudo-sophistication and being pseudo-civilised. But the Queen of England will never go to Ireland and tell them to shut up, unless she wants them to stone her. The Chinese President Xi Jinping just visited the UK - and no one was brave enough to mention human right abuses in China. And no one will ever be brave enough to travel to China to cite human right abuses. That's how you project power. A lot of these folks are utterly useless and it's funny how they always try stupidly to mask it with other obtuse crap.

I think it's high time Yoruba youths formed another party that will serve Yoruba interests...the two parties - PDP and APC - are just useless with blinkered miscreants who care more about the crumbs they get than use their brain cells. APC doesn't even offer anyone anything. The APC folks are the dumbest political strategists ever - they never bothered to get a nice deal before selling their souls for crumbs. Now they want everyone to keep playing their losers' game, while selling Yorubas out. As for PDP - those ones are just useless, no point talking about them.
i concur to that. its about time we started thinking about true leadership rather than politics.... the afore mentioned ones are just parties without set out policies and ideologies to guide their decisions

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:41pm On Oct 27, 2015
sanmibukunmi:

Our greedy and hungry politicians caused it. they have sold themselves cheap and hence they look worthless in their sight. where i served in ago-are in oyo state, i witnessed the menace of these so called fulanis. i noticed its not that we yorubas are cowards or we are weak, it is because of our elders. the cheifs in those communities have been bribed and even when the people try to revolt, they call the cops on them. and at the end of the day, a solution is not arrived at. see one on one, a fulani man wont be able to face a yoruba man or even any man from any tribe for that matter. they are weak and have very low stamina. what they use is political power and weapons. i believe to end this fulani menace, we need to wake our youth and let them know that there are times when we have to let go of elderly respect and try to do things our way. i tild people in the community i served in that if fulann people start getting missing one by one, they wont bring thier cattles near their domain again. lets hands off all those politicians that have sold our race so cheap and lets start making them respect in whatever manner we might need to employ.

√√√√√√√√

Where are the OPC guys by the way? I thought the organization was formed to tackle issues such as this.The only time i hear from OPC is when the matter has to do with oil.OPC can go as far as Rivers state to protect pipelines but can protect their own brothers in the southwest smh
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by FFKfuckedBIANCA: 2:44pm On Oct 27, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Ogun has the highest number of registered universities in Nigeria (nine in all)
There are Seventeen(17) NUC accredited universities in Ogun state not Nine

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:45pm On Oct 27, 2015
Professor Mashood Adebayo Baderin

[img]http://english.ahram.org.eg/Media/News/2012/6/14/2012-634752992970126571-12.jpg[/img]

Mashood Baderin is currently Professor of Law at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London. He was formerly Professor of Law at the Brunel Law School, Brunel University, Uxbridge, West London; Reader in International Human Rights Law and Director of the International Law and Human Rights Unit, School of Law, University of the West of England, Bristol. He had also previously taught law at the School of Law, University of Nottingham, and the School of Law, University of Southampton. He has also been a Visiting Professor to the American University of Paris, Paris, France, and the Islamic Science University of Malaysia, Nilai, Malaysia. He is a qualified and experienced Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria. He is founding co-editor of the Muslim World Journal of Human Rights.

Professor Mashood Baderin of the School of Law has been appointed the UN Independent Expert on the situation of human rights in the Sudan by the UN Human Rights Council (HRC). The appointment was announced at the end of its 19th Session in Geneva on 23 March 2012.

For the next 12 months, Professor Baderin will be responsible for engaging with the Government of the Sudan with a view of identifying areas of assistance that will aid the country to fulfil its human rights obligations. He is required to submit a report to the HRC for consideration at its twenty-first session.

Professor Baderin who is a specialist in human rights and Islamic law, said he felt honoured but very humbled by the international recognition. “I am determined to fulfill the responsibilities of the mandate most diligently and effectively,” he said.

The Consultative Group of the HRC, who selected Baderin for the role, said about his appointment: "Mr. Baderin has extensive academic and in-country experience as a specialist in human rights and Islamic law. The Consultative group was impressed by Mr. Baderin's awareness of the issues specific to the situation in the Sudan, his ability to express a clear focused and practical approach to the mandate and his knowledge of the legal and cultural context.”

The Group also remarked in particular on his ability to articulate the relationship between Islamic law and culture within Sudan.

Professor Baderin’s responsibilities are outlined under paragraph 11 of the HRC Resolution 18/16. He performed similar duties in 2003 and 2008 for the Department for International Development (DIFD) as a specialist on scoping visits for the UK Government's ‘Safety and Access to Justice Project’ in the Sudan.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 2:45pm On Oct 27, 2015
WIZGUY69:

I think you are right, but what I don't admire about them is that they don't build or stay in osun (or there locality. most of them prefer having there in another place rather than there place of origin.
I could remember one of the nominees of ooni of ife (the owner of oduduwa university) apart from the institution, all other companies and assets is outside osun which is not suppose to be so.
osun needs investors like never before.

Yes. You are right Sir.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by sanmibukunmi: 2:47pm On Oct 27, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

√√√√√√√√

Where are the OPC guys by the way? I thought the organization was formed to tackle issues such as this.The only time i hear from OPC is when the matter has to do with oil.OPC can go as far as Rivers state to protect pipelines but can protect their own brothers in the southwest smh
i think in this case its the money that has come to play i here. you know they get paid for their pipeline protection services but dont really get paid for the later.maybe thats why
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:48pm On Oct 27, 2015
FFKfuckedBIANCA:
There are Seventeen(17) NUC accredited universities in Ogun state not Nine

According to DAWN, its nine(9)
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 27, 2015
Osun State

-Osun is the highest producer of plantain
-Osun is known for her Ancient culture
-Unique tourism corridor: Olumirin waterfall, Osun river etc.
-Osun is the home of gold mine
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 2:50pm On Oct 27, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Put some blame on illiterate Fulanis, but put much of the blame on Yoruba politicians who are after self-interests.

This is not an internet war, it cannot and should not be fought online.

Enough with comparing Fulani menace in the SW to the SE because apparently, the Fulani bark dogs aren't ready to protect their territory.

Kwankaso and Fulani leaders pulled the last straw and I hope Yoruba youths are aware.

The same thing Kwankaso/El-Rufai said about Fulanis in the SW is the same thing Buhari said about boko harams in 2011.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (384) (Reply)

Nairaland Says No To Secessionists / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.