Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,915 members, 7,806,660 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:03 PM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (86) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (666602 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 1:24pm On Oct 30, 2015
More Pictures (Eko Tower - 27 Floors)............

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 1:26pm On Oct 30, 2015
More Pictures (Eko Tower - 27 Floors)....

Project still ongoing.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 1:28pm On Oct 30, 2015
Marriott Waterfront Hotel, Lagos - 10 Floors (Project ongoing)

Design

Implementation

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 1:32pm On Oct 30, 2015
Osapa Convenience Centre - Lekki

Design

Implementation

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by jstbeinhonest(m): 1:35pm On Oct 30, 2015
Pictures from akure,i sincerely hope no one has uploaded these before.There are too many pics,i hate repetition.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 1:40pm On Oct 30, 2015
Ogun State Cultural Centre (newly renovated)

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 1:43pm On Oct 30, 2015
Ambode promises rapid development in Epe

Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State yesterday assured residents in Epe area of the state that the ancient town would witness infrastructural development in the course of his administration.

The governor, who gave the assurance while speaking at a special Ramadan lecture at the premises of Epe Local Government Council, thanked the people for the support shown to the All Progressives Congress, APC, during the electioneering, promising that the development of Epe was uppermost in his heart.

He assured residents of the area that his government would reciprocate the gesture by carrying out infrastructural projects that would make life comfortable for them.

“I just want to say a big thank you to everyone here. I know that a lot of us contested, but the bottom line is that I belong to this community and whatever it is that we do is in the interest of this community. We are all going to stand together to make sure the development of Epe is uppermost in our heart,” he said.

Governor Ambode, who hails from Epe, however enjoined residents to join hands with his government, urging them to seize the period of the Ramadan to pray for the success of his tenure in office.

“I am glad Epe is one. It pleases God that what we’ve missed in the city for almost 40 years has come to us. It is now left for all of us to come together and join hands with this government.

“There is nothing I can do for Epe people that can be enough, but I assure you that Epe would be a new city. All I need from you now is prayer because I am ready to pay my dues in Epe and I will try my best to ensure that Epe and indeed Lagos State witness all-round development and transformation,” the governor said. Earlier, the guest lecturer, Dr. Nosirudeen Onibon, had urged those who would form the cabinet of the governor to imbibe the culture of moral competence in the discharge of their duties.

He said governance thrives on division of labour, hence all hands must be on deck to ensure the success of the administration.

Onibon expressed optimism that with Governor Ambode in the helm of affairs in the state, Lagos would witness a great deal of development.

Among dignitaries who graced the lecture were the Oloja of Epe, Oba Kamorudeen Ishola Animashaun, Chief Imam of 1st Epe Central Mosque, Alhaji Abdulrahman Abiola; member, Lagos House of Assembly, Epe Constituency I, Hon. Segun Olulade; a former lawmaker, Hon. Bashir Abisoye Oloto and the Executive Secretary, Epe Local Government, Hon. Ahmed Seriki.

Source:: national mirror

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 1:48pm On Oct 30, 2015
Update on the Lekki-Epe International Airport

Investors’ unwillingness causing N7BN lekki-epe international airport serious set back

Obviously, one of the biggest uncompleted projects that the Lagos State Governor-elect, Akinwunmi Ambode, will be inheriting from Governor Babatunde Fashola, from May 29, 2015, is the multi billion Naira Lekki-Epe International Airport, located in the Lekki Free Trade Zone, LFTZ of the state. The proposed international airport being implemented under the Public Private Partnership, PPP, is currently struggling and experiencing serious financial challenges as a result of unwillingness on the part of investors.

According to the report by Vanguard, the Commissioner for Commerce and Industry, Mrs. Sola Oworu, disclosed the current challenge facing the realization of the airport while briefing newsmen on the activities of her ministry. Oworu explained that further work has been suspended on the construction of the airport as the former investor which earlier indicated interest later withdrawn from pursuing the project over certain reasons.

Though, she was not specific on lack of funds for the withdrawal but said one of the reasons given by the investors was the 2015 general elections outcome, which they feared could endanger the investment by incoming administration. “The state government is currently shopping for new investors. Efforts are being made to conclude discussion with prospective investors. As soon as all documents are ready we will recommence construction work at the site.” Oworu stated.

Owuru however, assured that the incoming administration in the state would continue with the project, saying investors’ investments are guaranteed, as “a ready market is provided for their products with the state’s estimated over 20 million residents.” She also reiterated that the project is a reality as it had so far attracted key players particularly in the oil and gas sector with a greater prospect of attracting more investors as its development progresses, especially with the provision of standby 12 megawatts of electricity supply.

Oworu, recalled when the Minister of Commerce and Industry, Senator Jubril Martins-Kuye, carried out an on-the-spot assessment of the LFTZ, saying with the right environment, which had been created for the LFTZ, would be consolidated, so as to open doors of better economic opportunities and ensure, technology transfer and capacity building. Project: The state government had earlier, appointed one of the new generation banks, as the sole financial advisor on the proposed Lekki-Epe International Airport project.

The airport is to be developed on a modular basis at an estimated project cost of N71.64 billion in its first phase and is expected to commence operations with a conservative capacity of two million passengers per annum, reaching five million passengers by 2015. It is a scalable airport that is been designed to cater for the Airbus A380, making it a Code F compliant airport as well as boost economic activities around LFTZ.

Located about 10km from Lekki Free Trade Zone, LFTZ, the proposed airport was also designed to drive urban development and tourism in the Lekki-Epe axis of Lagos state and by extension check rural-urban drift.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Gbawe: 1:53pm On Oct 30, 2015
Shymm3x:
Update on Eko Atlantic

The sky scrappers are looking decent - God bless Yorubaland. cool

Bro how far? remember I told you that if we get the politics right then the prospect of developing the SW is really bright? This is why I don't join in demonizing the likes of Tinubu who, to be effective and to deliver for the people, is constrained to work the Nigerian way for now or he remains in the cold where he can do zilch for his fellow Yorubas. The Eko Atlantic mega city is Tinubu's baby. He conceived it with the Chagoury brothers. little known is that Tinubu was the first politician to float the PPP model of development (Private-public sector partnership) that is now popular today. Eko Atlantic, Lekki international airport and Lekki seaport are all PPP projects involving Lagos State and private sector partners. Tinubu, sick and tired of waiting for "crumbs" from the FG, was the first to use bonds and money market funds to raise money for infrastructural development. He was laughed at when he suggested the idea after he became Governor in 1999 yet we know the reality today.The SW is therefore far better off for having and supporting Tinubu rather than thinking without pragmatism and demanding "off with his head" simply because some uniformed and envious folks say falsely he has enslaved Lagos and cornered all her wealth. Ditto Fashola, Amosun et al. These guys, in a highly tainted environment, give back in ways others don't. There are many today simply stealing and doing nada.

Fact of the matter is that there is no politician in Nigeria working without a degree of corruption. It is the 'environment' and you must comply, to an extent, or remain a Soyinka who is eternally principled yet is unable to do jacksh1te for the people. The best we can have for now are politicians who deliver even as they have to 'play the game' the Nigerian way. Gradually we will get better grade of politicians when many things continue to come together like improving political sophistication of the people and greater political checks and balances etc. In regards to the notion of politicians delivering, even as they have to work in a very murky environment that means they must dirty their hands, then I think the SW has it best of all regions of Nigeria. We should count ourselves lucky and not despair. No doubt that there is no room for complacency or the praise-singing of mediocrity but we must understand what we started with in 1999, with terrible politicians, and where we are today after 2007 when a decent and productive group of Yoruba leaders begun to make it into leadership like Fashola, Amosun, Ajimobi et al. Man me, even you can get involved. You are young enough to be involved at the grassroot level and work your way up. Would it interest you to know that many politicians today lived in the diaspora? Ayo Fayose, for example, lived in the UK. What SW politics need, above everything else, is pragmatic men/women of idea who know how to think, plan and deliver.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by ODVanguard: 2:10pm On Oct 30, 2015
Gbawe:

Bro how far? remember I told you that if we get the politics right then the prospect of developing the SW is really bright? This is why I don't join in demonizing the likes of Tinubu who, to be effective and to deliver for the people, is constrained to work the Nigerian way for now or he remains in the cold where he can do zilch for his fellow Yorubas. The Eko Atlantic mega city is Tinubu's baby. He conceived it with the Chagoury brothers. little known is that Tinubu was the first politician to float the PPP model of development (Private-public sector partnership) that is now popular today. Eko Atlantic, Lekki international airport and Lekki seaport are all PPP projects involving Lagos State and private sector partners. Tinubu, sick and tired of waiting for "crumbs" from the FG, was the first to use bonds and money market funds to raise money for infrastructural development. He was laughed at when he suggested the idea after he became Governor in 1999 yet we know the reality today.The SW is therefore far better for having and supporting Tinubu rather than thinking without pragmatism and demanding "off with his head" simply because some uniformed and envious folks say falsely he has enslaved Lagos and cornered all her wealth. Ditto fashola, Amosun et al. these guys, in a highly tainted environment, give back in ways others don't. There are many today simply stealing and doing nada.

Fact of the matter is that there is no politician in Nigeria working without a degree of corruption. It is the 'environment' and you must comply, to an extent, or remain a Soyinka who is eternally principled yet is unable to do jacksh1te for the people. The best we can have for now are politicians who deliver even as they have to 'play the game' the Nigerian way. Gradually we will get better grade of politicians when many things continue to come together like improving political sophistication of the people, better calibre of leaders and greater political checks and balances etc. In regards to the notion of politicians delivering, even as they have to work in a very murky environment that means they must dirty their hands, then I think the SW has it best of all regions of Nigeria. We should count ourselves lucky and not despair. No doubt that there is no room for complacency or the praise-singing of mediocrity but we must understand what we started with in 1999, with terrible politicians, and where we are today after 2007 when a decent and productive group of Yoruba leaders begun to make it into leadership like Fashola, Amosun, Ajimobi et al. Man me, even you can get involved. You are young enough to be involved at the grassroot level and work your way up. Would it interest you to know that many politicians today lived in the diaspora? Ayo Fayose, for example, lived in the UK. What SW politics need, above everything else, is pragmatic men/women of idea who know how to think, plan and deliver.

You are absolutely right about the Tinubu factor and I agree with you. A lot of people accuse him of not vigorously championing something akin to SW secession/autonomy and what not. But truth is that he has had to learn by experience to work within the system currently on ground. At this stage, it'll be politically suicidal for him (and would have grave implications for the region) to 'rock the boat'. The June 12/Abacha episode must've taught him a lot about how regional instability can stifle regional development. I'll rather the Biafrans continue their agitating for now while we keep building (their agitation is creating a lot of uneasiness and uncertainty in their region and making potential investors apprehensive about making commitments there). If they succeed, the SW will automatically become a beneficiary coz Nigeria as we know it would be history and cease to exist. The only grouse I have with Tinubu is that I think he's not doing enough to spread the development his influence is attracting beyond Lagos. I see no reason why another Lekki-Ajah/Lagos model or replica can't be duplicated multiple times over all around the SW. We need to spread the development.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 2:17pm On Oct 30, 2015
marioking:

Okun jare abaluka grin iyan ha yun lerun re. Aba re a gbe.
Uhun uyalerun lo je lugba ki Ilekehd wi Ekiti lun iha. Iha omo Ekiti naa ti soju Ile-oduduwa ganni. Apere ni Professor Adegoke Olubummo ko je Ojogbon akoko ni eka imo isiro (mathematics) ni Orile ede Naijeriya.
Ekiti kete a gbe ha o

Welcome!
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 2:18pm On Oct 30, 2015
Shymm3x:

Lol.

This is Ekiti dialect, right?

IlekeHD, come say hello to ya people...this is Ekiti parapo war. grin

Err...where are ya other ekiti warriors? Ekiti_bear,etc..?

Hey young soldier.

Great job.

I'm reluctant to post because I don't want repetitive lol.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 2:21pm On Oct 30, 2015
ODVanguard:

You are absolutely right about the Tinubu factor and I agree with you. A lot of people accuse him of not vigorously championing something akin to SW secession/autonomy and what not. But truth is that he has had to learn by experience to work within the system currently on ground. At this stage, it'll be politically suicidal for him (and would have grave implications for the region) to 'rock the boat'. The June 12/Abacha episode must've taught him a lot about how regional instability can stifle regional development. I'll rather the Biafrans continue their agitating for now while we keep building (their agitation is creating a lot of uneasiness and uncertainty in their region and making potential investors apprehensive about making commitments there). If they succeed, the SW will automatically become a beneficiary coz Nigeria as we know it would be history and cease to exist. The only grouse I have with Tinubu is that I think he's not doing enough to spread the development his influence is attracting beyond Lagos. I see no reason why another Lekki-Ajah/Lagos model or replica can't be duplicated multiple times over all around the SW. We need to spread the development.

Very interesting. I agree with you, especially about the bold.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 2:21pm On Oct 30, 2015
@marioking,

Are you currently in Ekiti?

Can you find some pictures to post?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Gbawe: 2:24pm On Oct 30, 2015
ODVanguard:

Bro, I know Tinubu personally. He is very passionate about the development of the entire SW. This is why he has only supported achievers and men of ideas to be Governor. Contrary to popular belief, Tinubu is not dictatorial. Yet he can be firm and dogged. He tries not to interfere with the work SW governors are doing but he does meet with them to level constructive criticism and make suggestion. Most SW Governors may be respectful but they are also insistent on doing things their own way and will simply not do something because Tinubu demands it.

It is now up to APC SW Governors, since they have the FG behind them, to do much better than we have seen so far. Comparatively, they have no excuses now.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 2:26pm On Oct 30, 2015
[size=14pt]19 Year-Old Harvard Senior, Nigerian-American Saheela Ibraheem Commended by President Obama[/size]

Saheela Ibraheem was named one of the World’s 50 Smartest Teenagers, and U.S. President Obama met and commended her on this feat at a reception celebrating Black History Month.

The teenager had the honour of introducing the President and First Lady Michelle Obama at the event.

Here’s a bit of what The Best Schools website had to say about the teenager,

At just 15 years old, Saheela Ibraheem was accepted into Harvard University, which makes her among the youngest students ever to attend that school. But that’s not the most impressive part, Saheela was accepted at 12 other colleges, including MIT, the University of Pennsylvania, Cornell, Brown, Princeton, Columbia, and the University of Chicago.

Saheela’s Nigerian parents, totally supportive of the young scholar, sometimes taught her subjects the schools didn’t offer.

Saheela believes the key to success is knowing what you love to learn as early as possible, a knowledge she says she came to at age five. “If you are passionate about what you do, and I am passionate about many things, especially math and science, it will work out well.” The teen is also interested in languages, and knows Yoruba, Arabic, Spanish, and Latin, in addition to English.

As for her own brain, Saheela claims she is nothing special. “I try my best in everything I do,” Saheela said. “Anyone who’s motivated can work wonders.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdZ_ubmHxAA
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:30pm On Oct 30, 2015
Gbawe:

Bro how far? remember I told you that if we get the politics right then the prospect of developing the SW is really bright? This is why I don't join in demonizing the likes of Tinubu who, to be effective and to deliver for the people, is constrained to work the Nigerian way for now or he remains in the cold where he can do zilch for his fellow Yorubas. The Eko Atlantic mega city is Tinubu's baby. He conceived it with the Chagoury brothers. little known is that Tinubu was the first politician to float the PPP model of development (Private-public sector partnership) that is now popular today. Eko Atlantic, Lekki international airport and Lekki seaport are all PPP projects involving Lagos State and private sector partners. Tinubu, sick and tired of waiting for "crumbs" from the FG, was the first to use bonds and money market funds to raise money for infrastructural development. He was laughed at when he suggested the idea after he became Governor in 1999 yet we know the reality today.The SW is therefore far better for having and supporting Tinubu rather than thinking without pragmatism and demanding "off with his head" simply because some uniformed and envious folks say falsely he has enslaved Lagos and cornered all her wealth. Ditto fashola, Amosun et al. These guys, in a highly tainted environment, give back in ways others don't. There are many today simply stealing and doing nada.

Fact of the matter is that there is no politician in Nigeria working without a degree of corruption. It is the 'environment' and you must comply, to an extent, or remain a Soyinka who is eternally principled yet is unable to do jacksh1te for the people. The best we can have for now are politicians who deliver even as they have to 'play the game' the Nigerian way. Gradually we will get better grade of politicians when many things continue to come together like improving political sophistication of the people and greater political checks and balances etc. In regards to the notion of politicians delivering, even as they have to work in a very murky environment that means they must dirty their hands, then I think the SW has it best of all regions of Nigeria. We should count ourselves lucky and not despair. No doubt that there is no room for complacency or the praise-singing of mediocrity but we must understand what we started with in 1999, with terrible politicians, and where we are today after 2007 when a decent and productive group of Yoruba leaders begun to make it into leadership like Fashola, Amosun, Ajimobi et al. Man me, even you can get involved. You are young enough to be involved at the grassroot level and work your way up. Would it interest you to know that many politicians today lived in the diaspora? Ayo Fayose, for example, lived in the UK. What SW politics need, above everything else, is pragmatic men/women of idea who know how to think, plan and deliver.

Sir, I understand your point. However, my grouse with Tinubu has more to do with using capitalism for self-interest - rather than making it a collective interest and more people/group oriented.

Yes, Eko Atlantic is a laudable project, and when completed, it would give Lagos an identity it lacks, at the moment. If a few other industries can be ceded to other parts of the region. However, when things that are meant to under an umbrella for all - are systematically cornered and pocketed by an individual (or with people with close ties), then it becomes problematic. I believe there's an Odua Investment Group, which caters to group interests - why not get them more involved? What we're creating here is the type of extreme capitalism that's plaguing the US, hence the country is systematically collapsing from within. And without its military might - the US would've collapsed time ago.

Also, it's not even about living abroad. A lot of those folks never achieved anything tangible whilst they were abroad - apart from a Fayemi who has a stellar CV, and is more suited for International Relations - than being an administrator of a state. When you put square pegs in round holes basically cos they lived abroad, there won't be any tangible results. There are tons of Nigerians who have excelled abroad in different fields - those are the type of folks the country needs, by tapping into their expertise/experience and putting them where they can function effectively - with the enabling environment for them to do so.

Personally, in as much as I'm a politics enthusiast cos of family background. I'm not a career politician, though I can be a critique. Even if I were to try - my personality/mentality will never let me. I'm much more reserved than whatever you see on here and I don't think I can thrive as the focal point of anything. I'd rather focus on my field/career, achieve greatness, and if and when I'm able to contribute effectively I'm called upon to do so. It's my responsibility to help in whatever way I can and contribute my quota. However, I don't I can compromise my beliefs for a game that's full of deceit. But can I make practical suggestions, by citing examples in other climes or folks from the same clime in the past? - yes I can. That's all I can do for now.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:31pm On Oct 30, 2015
IlekeHD:

Hey young soldier.

Great job.

I'm reluctant to post because I don't want repetitive lol.

Thanks, the Ekiti Amazon. grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by SpaceTour: 2:37pm On Oct 30, 2015
Good work guys. Keep it coming. With love from Anambra. Ooshe!

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:40pm On Oct 30, 2015
IlekeHD:
@marioking,
Are you currently in Ekiti?
Can you find some pictures to post?
I would have loved to do so but I ain't there for now.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 2:40pm On Oct 30, 2015
marioking:

I would have loved to do so but I ain't there for now.

Igba wo ni wa pada lo si Ekiti?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Gbawe: 2:40pm On Oct 30, 2015
I feel that the SW has a solid foundation to build on and it is time we all get to work instead of expecting others to do everything for us. As I stated earlier, what we need 211are intelligent and visionary men/women who know how to think, plan and deliver solutions. Before the political environment did not exist to sustain these sort of men and women and this is why the SW, and indeed the entire Nigeria, stagnated badly to now leave us playing 'catch up' in relation to the world and even some African Countries.I think more sustained and politically deliberate efforts from all of us could pay dividends in an age we are seeing more modern politicians open to ideas.

http://www.gamji.com/article6000/NEWS7879.htm

Nigeria: One Country Four Economies Discussion Points
By
Falalu Bello, OFR
abumoha1978@yahoo.com

v I thank my friend and Junior brother, Mr. Sam Nda-Isiah, for inviting me to speak at this important forum on what to do to reverse de-industrialization in Northern Nigerian. When the invitation was extended to me, I asked of the topic I am to speak on and I was not given any. All my brother wanted me to do at this Conference is to set the tone for the experts invited to do justice to the topic under discussion. My role therefore is not to talk of how industrialists are to access funds from the banking system nor even to talk on such general issues as the importance of finance to industrialization:

v I have been invited to contextually put Northern Nigeria amongst other regions in Nigeria and could easily have compared Northern economy and its Southern Counterpart. I have chosen not to go this route because, I want us all to see that geography, history and the Obasanjo administration and its reform agenda have created four (4) fairly distinct economies in Nigerian. We as Northerners need to appreciate where our economy currently stands amongst other economies in Nigeria so as to appreciate the kind of race we have to run if we are to remain relevant in Nigeria.

v On the basis of ownership and/or control of resources that make for economic development, post-Obasanjo Nigeria in terms of strength could easily be categorized into 4 economies as follows:

a) South West Economy;

b) South East plus Delta Economy;

c) Northern Economy; and

d) South South minus Delta Economy

v The four economies mentioned above are fairly distinct with each growing at its own pace. [size=14pt] The South Western economy is growing at a faster rate than all followed by South East plus Delta [/size] economy whilst those of the North and South South minus Delta could at best be described as stagnant. A simple analysis of these four economies is given below:-

a) South West Economy

South Western Nigeria with a Land Mass of 76,852 square kilometres and population of 25.2 million today owns and/or control 60% of the nation’s industrial capacity, 44% of banking assets, 67% of insurance assets and is house to the nation’s three deep sea ports of Apapa, Tin Can Island and Roro; the busiest international airport of Ikeja, three thermal stations of Egbin, Papalanto and Omotosho. Today, its three major industrial estates of Agbara, Ikeja and Otta are all linked to gas under the West African gas pipeline plan and piping of gas is ongoing from Otta to Abeokuta. Added to these, the South Western population today is the most educated as western education came through there and education as a resource was democratized since the early sixties. Geographical location, democratization of western education, availability of resources enhanced in last 9 years and some empowerment during the Obasanjo administration have collectively enabled the South Western economy to rank as first of the four economies in Nigeria. Today, the South West as a region can boast of having a defined growing middle class and is perceived to have at least 20,000 of its indigenes with net worth of over N100m each. [size=14pt] Take it out of Nigeria, the South West economy with is defined growing middle class and resources, will be one of the fastest growing economies in the world.[/size]

b) The South-East plus Delta

The South Easterners plus their cousins across the Onitsha bridge control commerce in all parts of Nigeria and are thus largely employed. The region has clusters of small scale industries around Nnewi and Aba. The banking consolidation has assisted these people to now have ownership and or control of over 50% of Nigerian banking assets. It also controls 21% of the nation’s insurance assets and 20% of industrial assets. With this development, this region which has not had a commanding control over Nigerian economy will certainly begin to do that now. Commercial activities backed by finance can only grow the economy of South-East plus Delta. The growing strength of financial muscle of this region has been aptly demonstrated by the recent licensing of Micro Finance Banks. Of the over 600 MFBs recently licensed by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Anambra State alone had 74 whilst Yobe State had 1, Sokoto 5, Zamfara 6, etc. There exists also in this economy a middle class which will now grow itself in number and financial muscle and will almost certainly grow its economy inclusive particularly of small and medium sized industrial base.

c) The Northern Economy

The North which geographically is 719,435 Square Kilometers or 79% of Nigeria’s landmass and has 75 million or 53.6% of Nigeria’s population has its economy as a consequence of various reforms introduced, been totally grounded. Today, the North has ownership and/or control of no more than 3% of banking assets and 2% of insurance assets and 10% of industrial assets. True, the North has a huge landmass but this has remained under exploited due to jettisoning of time tested policies of price support (as a result of abolishing of marketing boards without putting alternatives) and abandonment of extension services and quality control. Also, the North has a huge population but the population has remained largely uneducated and/or half educated because of near failure of governance in certain States and Local Governments. Currently its most distinguishing characteristic is grinding poverty. Recent poverty statistics indicate that the poverty level of States in the North has been on the increase in the last 9 years and reached over 80%. Its two commercial and industrial nerve centers (Kano and Kaduna) have seen industrial capacity utilization decline to an all time low of less than 10%. The textile, automobile and beverages companies that thrived so impressively in the 1970s and 1980s have collapsed rendering thousands jobless. Although hydroelectricity is generated at Kainji Dam and in lesser quantities at Shiroro Gorge and at several smaller sites, the entire mechanisms are run on very obsolete equipment and the performance is consequently very epileptic and unsuitable for meaningful economic activity.

d) The South South minus Delta

The South South is largely in the creeks of Niger Delta and has therefore a small land mass of only 48,321 square kilometers and is populated by 13.6 Million people. Notwithstanding the fact that it is house to Nigerian Oil wealth, this region exclusive of oil company activities like the North is also backward economically. It controls no more than 3% of banking assets, 10% of insurance assets and no more than 10% of industrial assets on account of oil related industries that the indigenes do not control. Furthermore, its overstretched land mass has suffered considerable degradation and its aquatic life destroyed. As a region, its people and economy are worst off than the North as it lacks fresh environment, water and even good air to breath.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by ODVanguard: 2:48pm On Oct 30, 2015
Gbawe:

Bro, I know Tinubu personally. He is very passionate about the development of the entire SW. This is why he has only supported achievers and men of ideas to be Governor. Contrary to popular belief, Tinubu is not dictatorial. Yet he can be firm and dogged. He tries not to interfere with the work SW governors are doing but he does meet with them to level constructive criticism and make suggestion. Most SW Governors may be respectful but they are also insistent on doing things their own way and will simply not do something because Tinubu demands it.

It is now up to APC SW Governors, since they have the FG behind them, to do much better than we have seen so far. Comparatively, they have no excuses now.

I see your point. I guess that's why it's grossly unfair to compare Tinubu to Awo coz Awo had administrative jurisdiction over the entire Western Region while he was Premiere, while Tinubu never has never really had that much reach. Yes he has considerable influence over the politics of the SW but pragmatically there's only so much he can do outside Lagos under the current system. Even Awo himself lost relative influence over the region after the demise of regionalism despite his political eminence -- it was not uncommon for some of his lieutenants/proteges during his time (e.g. former Gov. of Oyo, the late Bola Ige) to overrule his suggestion at times.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:49pm On Oct 30, 2015
Ehn! CabbieAC wo le de.Ade mi da?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by skyline123: 2:54pm On Oct 30, 2015
Gbawe:
I feel that the SW has a solid foundation to build on and it is time we all get to work instead of expecting others to do everything for us. As I stated earlier, what we need 211are intelligent and visionary men/women who know how to think, plan and deliver solutions. Before the political environment did not exist to sustain these sort of men and women and this is why the SW, and indeed the entire Nigeria, stagnated badly to now leave us playing 'catch up' in relation to the world and even some African Countries.I think more sustained and politically deliberate efforts from all of us could pay dividends in an age we are seeing more modern politicians open to ideas.

http://www.gamji.com/article6000/NEWS7879.htm

Looking at this thread, I can see a lot of academics. Sure you can find a few who would be willing to do research on best policy practices across the world. Creating a forum for discussing and harvesting ideas would be a good start.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 30, 2015
My cabbieAC account just got banned again and then some people wonder why their businesses fail.The owner of this forum is just too complacent for my liking.Can i blame him? he has no competition

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 30, 2015
I'm loving the direction the thread is facing.Development!more of this please.Big ups to sultaan,oduavanguard,shymm3x and gbawe for these beautiful contributions.I don't want to get involved in the whole tinubu discussion because i still maintain my stance on him else we'll keep going round in circles.Please we need more of discussions like this so we can pin-point what exactly is wrong and critique our leaders.
For those who promised to feed us with developmental pictures this weekend, we're anxiously waiting.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Gbawe: 3:17pm On Oct 30, 2015
Shymm3x:

Sir, I understand your point. However, my grouse with Tinubu has more to do with using capitalism for self-interest - rather than making it a collective interest and more people/group oriented.

Yes, Eko Atlantic is a laudable project, and when completed, it would give Lagos an identity it lacks, at the moment. If a few other industries can be ceded to other parts of the region. However, when things that are meant to under an umbrella for all - are systematically cornered and pocketed by an individual (or with people with close ties), then it becomes problematic. I believe there's an Odua Investment Group, which caters to group interests - why not get them more involved? What we're creating here is the type of extreme capitalism that's plaguing the US, hence the country is systematically collapsing from within. And without its military might - the US would've collapsed time ago.

Tinubu is no socialist but he is no self-serving uber capitalist either. He is somewhat in the middle i.e socio-capitalist. From the way he talks and reasons, Tinubu's belief is that government should directly oversee and empower the projects, policies and plans that will enable Nigerians to do the rest themselves to secure their own socio-economic development. In other words, Tinubu is of the 'teach a man to fish' school of thought.

The problem is that Tinubu has a lot of enemies and many of them naturally revel in deceiving Nigerians by deliberately and deceptively dealing in half-truths and even outright lies. they will tell you about Eko Atlantic and his many private ventures but they will not tell you of his efforts, in his home state of Lagos, to deliver independent power supply while he was Governor. The will downplay BRT , like the British bus lane, which is the first effort of its kind in Nigeria to transport ordinary Nigerians faster and in relative comfort. You will not see him get credit for his dogged dedication to the notion that road infrastructure increases economic activities. This is the backbone policy that saw Lagos construct more square-km of roads than some African countries managed in the same period. Are you aware of Tinubu's effort to secure rail transport for use by all Lagosians and not the elite alone? this was at a others were still buying bicycles for the citizens of their States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos_Rail_Mass_Transit

The idea of developing a light rail network for Lagos was revived by Governor Bola Tinubu in the early 2000s with a formal announcement of its construction in December 2003.[8] This initial $135 million proposal was part of the greater Lagos Urban Transportation Project to be implemented by the newly formed Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA).[8] LAMATA initially concentrated on developing a Bus Rapid Transit system, running from Mile 12 to Lagos Island. In 2008, LAMATA began also to make progress with the rail project, focusing initially on the Blue Line and the Red Line.

Micro-finance for small business, to boost the SME (small to medium enterprise) sector, was an idea of Tinubu that is now cornerstone policy for the APC. Same also welfare benefit for the elderly who cannot draw a pension and are living in abject poverty. The man has done a lot to promote the idea of economic self-help that assist a people to develop themselves via taking advantage of certain government provisions such as stable power supply, adequate transport mix etc. The problem is that many enjoy promoting the image of Tinubu as a self-serving and greedy venture capitalist who wants every kobo available in Nigeria. This is an image mis-informers provide that many Nigerians themselves enjoy swallowing, without inspecting the history of Tinubu since he became a governor in 1999, because many love to hate the "oppressive and greedy" elite they see Tinubu to be among. No doubt the man has superlative private ventures but, for fairness, we should look at the entire picture to see many things, ahead of their time, he has tried to do for ordinary Lagosians.

Also, it's not even about living abroad. A lot of those folks never achieved anything tangible whilst they were abroad - apart from a Fayemi who has a stellar CV, and is more suited for International Relations - than being an administrator of a state. When you put square pegs in round holes basically cos they lived abroad, there won't be any tangible results. There are tons of Nigerians who have excelled abroad in different fields - those are the type of folks the country needs, by tapping into their expertise/experience and putting them where they can function effectively - with the enabling environment for them to do so.

You miss my point about living abroad which is that it is not an impediment that prevents or bars you or anyone else, even if not living in Nigeria currently, from getting involved in the politics of Nigeria. I have many bright friends in the diaspora, I believe have much to contribute, who rule out getting involved in Nigerian politics, even when passionate about it, because of the perception that they would stand no chance.

Personally, in as much as I'm a politics enthusiast cos of family background. I'm not a career politician, though I can be a critique. Even if I were to try - my personality/mentality will never let me. I'm much more reserved than whatever you see on here and I don't think I can thrive as the focal point of anything. I'd rather focus on my field/career, achieve greatness, and if and when I'm able to contribute effectively I'm called upon to do so. It's my responsibility to help in whatever way I can and contribute my quota. However, I don't I can compromise my beliefs for a game that's full of deceit. But can I make practical suggestions, by citing examples in other climes or folks from the same clime in the past? - yes I can. That's all I can do for now.

You don't have to be a career politician. Having a passion to make a difference means you may simply want to get into a position that allows you to make a difference. Fashola, for example, is no politician. Dude stinks at politics. Yet he has made a difference and I believe will continue to do so in any leadership position he occupies.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:20pm On Oct 30, 2015
@forgiveness Lol i don't want to risk replying you in Yoruba again.I've failed thrice with my account getting banned. cheesy But anyways hopefully if this account doesn't get banned today again, i will mention you for the Yoruba hour

@Orlandoowoh the same thing.I responded to you in Yoruba and got banned cheesy but i agree with you though on those names you mentioned.The reason why we didn't profile them is because we decided to cut it down a little bit and talk more about development.If you have their biographies, you can post them here
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 3:21pm On Oct 30, 2015
ODVanguard:

I see your point. I guess that's why it's grossly unfair to compare Tinubu to Awo coz Awo had administrative jurisdiction over the entire Western Region while he was Premiere, while Tinubu never has never really had that much reach. Yes he has considerable influence over the politics of the SW but pragmatically there's only so much he can do outside Lagos under the current system. Even Awo himself lost relative influence over the region after the demise of regionalism despite his political eminence -- it was not uncommon for some of his lieutenants/proteges during his time (e.g. former Gov. of Oyo, the late Bola Ige) to overrule his suggestion at times.

Yes, you can't compare the two obviously cos they're from two different eras and they operated within two different structures, with different teams. The same way you can never compare a Michael Jordan to a Lebron James.

However, what you can compare are the qualities they displayed and how these effectively led to achieving desired collective goals - and the overall impact they made. That's what folks need to start discussing and how Yorubas can look inwards for folks that'll make collective goals the nucleus of whatever they do.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 3:23pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

@forgiveness Lol i don't want to risk replying you in Yoruba again.I've failed thrice with my account getting banned. cheesy But anyways hopefully if this account doesn't get banned today again, i will mention you for the Yoruba hour

@Orlandowoh the same thing.I responded to you in Yoruba and got banned cheesy But i agree with you though on those names you mentioned.The reason why we didn't profile them is because we decided to cut it down a little bit and talk more about development.If you have their biographies, you can post them here

What was the "reason" they gave?

It would be absolutely ridiculous if that's reason you're getting banned.

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (384) (Reply)

Nairaland Says No To Secessionists / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.