Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,031 members, 7,807,058 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

Is Biafra Igbo? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Biafra Igbo? (3132 Views)

Biafra: Igbo Assembly Tells Buhari What To Do To Nnamdi Kanu / This Month Is Biafra Month- Asari Dokubo / No More Biafra: Igbo Chieftain Lists Reasons Igbos Will Never Leave Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Biafra Igbo? by ezeagu(m): 2:05am On Oct 24, 2015
An apparent minority is pushing for secession of eastern Nigeria as Biafra, while the majority of the Igbo remain silent, and let's be honest, the silence is as a result of a people who would ideally like to be on their own but understandably do not want to invest in many different ways in something that may end up bad in also a variety of ways including a repeat of the 60s. The problem however is that not only is the movement very chaotic at the moment, but there is confusion as to where Biafra is. Many are saying that the whole of eastern Nigeria is Biafra, but I think this is really a mistake the Biafra secessionists are making. I believe that the area known as 'south south' are not as enthusiatic about a Biafra as the secessionists would like to believe. In fact all the major protests have taken place only in Igbo land, and particularly in the five Igbo states. And I'm sure some would say they know someone in Ogoja or someone from Calabar who joined them in protest somewhere, but to be honest these minute amount of people doesn't change the point that overwhelmingly the sentiment about seceding or a 'Biafra' has been and has been perceived as an Igbo thing. Check the names on any 'Biafra' message for example. I have encouraged an idea of an 'eastern' unity within Nigeria here before, but following from the sentiment that eveyone should respect themselves and the autonomy of others, it my deep belief, considering history even before the Nigeria-Biafra war, that the Igbo people, if there were ever a secession, should form a nation on their own, or at least a federation as a country like England in the United Kingdom. I believe the nature and goal of an Igbo person will continue to be misunderstood by anyone and I do not want a situation where an Igbo person will feel they are held back because they don't want to be seen as overdoing anybody.

All of these thoughts were solidifed by the recent writings of Alabo Abiye Akkio-Abbey here https://www.facebook.com/alaboabiye.akkioabbey/posts/10153267949980028 and the replies by people from his community, some I have attached.

1 Like

Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by Nobody: 2:45am On Oct 24, 2015
this land is mind
Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by carnegiefan: 3:05am On Oct 24, 2015
Here's what will likely happen:
Mainly Igbo parts will succeed in obtaining secession, but ALL non-Igbo parts of eastern region will gate crash into Biafra at the veeery last minute.
Staying back in Nigeria after Igbo have left will be pure HELL for non-Igbo easterners.
True freedom beckons in Biafra.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by tpiah11: 3:07am On Oct 24, 2015
carnegiefan:
Staying back in Nigeria after Igbo have left will be pure HELL for non-Igbo easterners.

how so?

just curious.

2 Likes

Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by carnegiefan: 3:13am On Oct 24, 2015
tpiah11:

how so?

just curious.

First, they will be forcefully converted to Islam. Note that Igbo have been the only major Christian population in Nigeria, and the east.
The Igbo shields the east against forceful Islamization as is happening now in the middle belt.
Once Islamized, they become like northern minorities, at the killing whims and caprices of the Fulani overlords.
Cattle will finish off the rest of the farmlands left after oil pollution.
Soon there will be an Emir of each of those minority clans, and they can do nothing about it.
Stay in Nigeria will be pure HELL for any eastern minority.
Biafra is all about equality, and Christian type of freedom.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by ezeagu(m): 4:06am On Oct 24, 2015
carnegiefan:

First, they will be forcefully converted to Islam. Note that Igbo have been the only major Christian population in Nigeria, and the east.
The Igbo shields the east against forceful Islamization as is happening now in the middle belt.
Once Islamized, they become like northern minorities, at the killing whims and caprices of the Fulani overlords.
Soon there will be an Emir of each of those minority clans, and they can do nothing about it.

Even if this farfetched situation could happen, it should be the decision of those groups to stay in Nigeria. I even believe that it's messy to want a group of people who rejected you to join you when they have never shown any sense of a unified destiny with you. You'd just make the new country a mini Nigeria. I don't know why some people can't leave Ndi Mba Miri alone but are talking for them. It's very irritating, especially with some of the insults like in the comments posted.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by Nobody: 4:52am On Oct 24, 2015
carnegiefan:
Mainly Igbo parts will succeed in obtaining secession, but ALL non-Igbo parts of eastern region will gate crash into Biafra at the veeery last minute.

Oh my God, you understand human psychology very well. Majority of non-Igbo south-southerners are still sitting on the fence simply because they think Biafra will not succeed in leaving Nigeria but the moment they realize that it might actually happen, all of them will flood the line begging to join. This is something that Nigerian government understands very well, hence they are more scared of biafran actualization.

5 Likes

Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by Nobody: 5:03am On Oct 24, 2015
carnegiefan:

100% correct. Igbos are the major reason south-south minorities are not islamic. Even the middle-belt which has 3 times more ethnic groups couldn't withstand the Islamic expansion. The moment Igbos leave Nigeria, the tune of the music will change. The level of exploitation the remaining south-south will witness will make the Nigeria of today look like heaven.

2 Likes

Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by DaBullIT(m): 5:43am On Oct 24, 2015
If everybody is denying being part of Biafra, who will pay Kalu's bail ?

8 Likes

Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by Nobody: 5:48am On Oct 24, 2015
I have always maintained that we Ndi Igbo should concentrate on having Biafra as an Igbo only country(excluding the Ikwerres pls). Y'all should stop being concerned about the well being of these our non-Igbo SS neighbours who betrayed us in the past & who will surely betray us again. Our blood could not have been continously shed all these years for Biafra and then, have these minorities come in to enjoy the fruits of our labor, after we've done all the hard work. Mbanu! Things simply don't work that way. I hate to see Ndi Igbo adding these people into the Biafra equation, thereby attracting unnecessary ridicule and insult to us. Have we ever stopped to ask ourselves, what use these people will be to us in Biafra? To be honest, these minorities will be nothing short of a liability and headache to us in Biafra. An Igbo only country called Biafra is the answer!
@Ezeagu, it's not just a few Ndi Igbo that are talking of Biafra. The truth is that 98% of Ndi Igbo want Biafra. I would also like to know your opinion on this Biafra issue, 'cause you've kind of been on the fence about it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by Nobody: 5:52am On Oct 24, 2015
Let them experience the islamization after all, they asked for it. Why should we care? Are we their guardian?

NAIJASOM:

100% correct. Igbos are the major reason south-south minorities are not islamic. Even the middle-belt which has 3 times more ethnic groups couldn't withstand the Islamic expansion. The moment Igbos leave Nigeria, the tune of the music will change. The level of exploitation the remaining south-south will witness will make the Nigeria of today look like heaven.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by Warlord3000(m): 5:53am On Oct 24, 2015
Hmm.... Won't say a thing
Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by Nobody: 6:03am On Oct 24, 2015
We will not allow them to gate-crash. We can't bear all the suffering and have them come in on a platter of gold, to enjoy. Where is it done?

carnegiefan:

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by Legitbaba(m): 6:16am On Oct 24, 2015
Before now...so many pple tot Biafra was an Igbo struggle.. Buh later on...i realized that it wasnt.....it was abt d then eastern region....many pple still think that way b cos Igbos are d more serious unit about the fight...there is no way a Rivers state or any south south state will b under Nigeria if d secession actually happens....and some others are not just comfortable with d name...mayb a change of name could do some magic
Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by Nobody: 6:22am On Oct 24, 2015
nwanlecha:
I have always maintained that we Ndi Igbo should concentrate on having Biafra as an Igbo only country(excluding the Ikwerres pls). Y'all should stop being concerned about the well being of these our non-Igbo SS neighbours who betrayed us in the past & who will surely betray us again. Our blood could not have been continously shed all these years for Biafra and then, have these minorities come in to enjoy the fruits of our labor, after we've done all the hard work. Mbanu! Things simply don't work that way. I hate to see Ndi Igbo adding these people into the Biafra equation, thereby attracting unnecessary ridicule and insult to us. Have we ever stopped to ask ourselves, what use these people will be to us in Biafra? To be honest, these minorities will be nothing short of a liability and headache to us in Biafra. An Igbo only country called Biafra is the answer!
@Ezeagu, it's not just a few Ndi Igbo that are talking of Biafra. The truth is that 98% of Ndi Igbo want Biafra. I would also like to know your opinion on this Biafra issue, 'cause you've kind of been on the fence about it.

First an foremost, It was an enlightened Ijaw man that gave Biafra its name. Even though majority of Biafra is Igbo, it has never been an Igbo only affair. Forget about the years of propaganda and brainwashing after the war.

I absolutely don't mind an Igbo only Biafra but if a south-south minority group votes to join, It will be pure evil to deny them a chance of freedom.

And yes its true that Igbos have sacrificed the most with blood for Biafra but its simply because we are the largest group in the east and we are everywhere. Imagine if a group like the Ogonis for example suffer the level of genocide Igbos suffered, they will be extinct like the dinosaurs.

2 Likes

Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by Nobody: 6:44am On Oct 24, 2015
Yea right! And it was the same Ijaw people in the form of Ken Sarowiwa and Isaac Boro, that betrayed us when we needed them most. The earlier we start thinking of Biafra as an Igbo only country, the better for us. Even if these minorities claim to want Biafra now, they are only saying so to use us and get out of Nigeria. Once we get Biafra, they will show us their true colors. We need to learn from our past in order not to make the same mistake twice. There is a saying that goes thus; fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Anyi bu Ndi Igbo, a si, na otu osisi a di aghu mmadu anya ugboro naabu.

NAIJASOM:

First an foremost, It was an enlightened Ijaw man that gave Biafra its name. Even though majority of Biafra is Igbo, it has never been an Igbo only affair. Forget about the years of propaganda and brainwashing after the war.

I absolutely don't mind an Igbo only Biafra but if a south-south minority group votes to join, It will be pure evil to deny them a chance of freedom.

And yes its true that Igbos have sacrificed the most with blood for Biafra but its simply because we are the largest group in the east and we are everywhere. Imagine if a group like the Ogonis for example suffer the level of genocide Igbos suffered, they will be extinct like the dinosaurs.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by Nobody: 7:00am On Oct 24, 2015
nwanlecha:
Yea right! And it was the same Ijaw people in the form of Ken Sarowiwa and Isaac Boro, that betrayed us when we needed them most. The earlier we start thinking of Biafra as an Igbo only country, the better for us. Even if these minorities claim to want Biafra now, they are only saying so to use us and get out of Nigeria. Once we get Biafra, they will show us their true colors. We need to learn from our past in order not to make the same mistake twice. There is a saying that goes thus; fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Anyi bu Ndi Igbo, a si, na otu osisi a di aghu mmadu anya ugboro naabu.

The ijaws were divided in their support for Biafra. Some of them supported it, some were unsure of what to think of it, while a good number betrayed it.

But to address you main point. If a minority group joins Biafra because they just want a way to leave Nigeria, what is the problem with that?

Remember the Biafran constitution will have a secession clause for non-Igbo minorities that join. If they want to later go and form their own country in the future, there is no problem with that, we Biafrans should support them 100%. If we don't, then we are no better than Nigeria.

Finally, Biafra will have full regional autonomy and resource control. Every region will govern itself like a small country so what the point of leaving?

2 Likes

Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by Nobody: 7:17am On Oct 24, 2015
It's ok if that is how you feel. I am honestly tired of explaining myself. Good night dear.

NAIJASOM:

The ijaws were divided in their support for Biafra. Some of them supported it, some were unsure of what to think of it, while a good number betrayed it.

But to address you main point. If a minority group joins Biafra because they just want a way to leave Nigeria, what is the problem with that?

Remember the Biafran constitution will have a secession clause for non-Igbo minorities that join. If they want to later go and form their own country in the future, there is no problem with that, we Biafrans should support them 100%. If we don't, then we are no better than Nigeria.

Finally, Biafra will have full regional autonomy and resource control. Every region will govern itself like a small country so what the point of leaving?

1 Like

Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by Obiagu1(m): 7:29am On Oct 24, 2015
carnegiefan:

They will be shocked at how firmly we will shut the door in their faces.
By then, their masters will offer them 'resource control'.

2 Likes

Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by Obiagu1(m): 7:33am On Oct 24, 2015
NAIJASOM:

I agree with most of what you said but to use us to leave? No way, they have to follow and shed blood too.

Secession clause will be in Biafra but after 50 years of being together!
Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by frakdon(m): 7:34am On Oct 24, 2015
nwanlecha:
Yea right! And it was the same Ijaw people in the form of Ken Sarowiwa and Isaac Boro, that betrayed us when we needed them most. The earlier we start thinking of Biafra as an Igbo only country, the better for us. Even if these minorities claim to want Biafra now, they are only saying so to use us and get out of Nigeria. Once we get Biafra, they will show us their true colors. We need to learn from our past in order not to make the same mistake twice. There is a saying that goes thus; fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Anyi bu Ndi Igbo, a si, na otu osisi a di aghu mmadu anya ugboro naabu

hmmm! This woman ..
Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by frakdon(m): 7:37am On Oct 24, 2015
NAIJASOM:

BIAFRA......I love this name, and what it stands for.
Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by Energito: 7:38am On Oct 24, 2015
Thank you brother,i have been saying this,what i need is Biafra of igbos alone.we can be in the same country with ijaws i can never work.
ezeagu:

Even if this farfetched situation could happen, it should be the decision of those groups to stay in Nigeria. I even believe that it's messy to want a group of people who rejected you to join you when they have never shown any sense of a unified destiny with you. You'd just make the new country a mini Nigeria. I don't know why some people can't leave Ndi Mba Miri alone but are talking for them. It's very irritating, especially with some of the insults like in the comments posted.
Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by carnegiefan: 7:49am On Oct 24, 2015
nwanlecha:

Eziokwu Chineke.
And Biafra we must have with or without non-Igbo easterners.
ezeagu wants a strictly Igbo only country but Biafra is a spirit in the east and welcomes all true believers in that spirit irrespective of tribe.
the aniomas in delta state bought into that spirit when their sons and daughters fought and died for Biafra.
Igbo and non-Igbo died for Biafra in 1967-70.
It would be unconscionable and irresponsible not to at least extend an invitation to everyone in the east before we shut the "Noah's ark" that is Biafra.
And yes the name remains BIAFRA.
Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by truefact: 7:51am On Oct 24, 2015
nwanlecha:
It's ok if that is how you feel. I am honestly tired of explaining myself. Good night dear.

Honestly, I think you are one of the divide and rule suffercated people
Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by Nobody: 8:00am On Oct 24, 2015
Obiagu1:

I agree with most of what you said but to use us to leave? No way, they have to follow and shed blood too.

Secession clause will be in Biafra but after 50 years of being together!

Yes i agree 100%. Biafra needs to be given a fair chance before its citizens decide if they want to continue to stay.
Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by Yujin(m): 8:18am On Oct 24, 2015
truefact:

Honestly, I think you are one of the divide and rule suffercated people
She's not. Its very painful seeing someone you're fighting with turning around to mock you to the delight of others. Not everyone will respond the same way. Some may still offer a path for repentance and reunion while for others its entirely over. That is how it operates nwanne.

2 Likes

Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 24, 2015
Legitbaba:
Before now...so many pple tot Biafra was an Igbo struggle.. Buh later on...i realized that it wasnt.....it was abt d then eastern region....many pple still think that way b cos Igbos are d more serious unit about the fight...there is no way a Rivers state or any south south state will b under Nigeria if d secession actually happens....and some others are not just comfortable with d name...mayb a change of name could do some magic
Come if na joke u better stop it before I invoke the anger of Chukwu okike abiama on u, which name do u want to change BIAFRA u must be a joker and dreamer, the name Biafra is as old as Africa, why not change Africa name to start with. go and check the ancient map of Africa 1800 - 1899. u will see BIAFRA there. secondly it cant be change becos millions have died becos of its restoration so let live with it. Am Proudly BIAFRA. Bleep off haters

Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by Noneroone(m): 9:50am On Oct 24, 2015
ezeagu:
An apparent minority is pushing for secession of eastern Nigeria as Biafra, while the majority of the Igbo remain silent, and let's be honest, the silence is as a result of a people who would ideally like to be on their own but understandably do not want to invest in many different ways in something that may end up bad in also a variety of ways including a repeat of the 60s. The problem however is that not only is the movement very chaotic at the moment, but there is confusion as to where Biafra is. Many are saying that the whole of eastern Nigeria is Biafra, but I think this is really a mistake the Biafra secessionists are making. I believe that the area known as 'south south' are not as enthusiatic about a Biafra as the secessionists would like to believe. In fact all the major protests have taken place only in Igbo land, and particularly in the five Igbo states. And I'm sure some would say they know someone in Ogoja or someone from Calabar who joined them in protest somewhere, but to be honest these minute amount of people doesn't change the point that overwhelmingly the sentiment about seceding or a 'Biafra' has been and has been perceived as an Igbo thing. Check the names on any 'Biafra' message for example. I have encouraged an idea of an 'eastern' unity within Nigeria here before, but following from the sentiment that eveyone should respect themselves and the autonomy of others, it my deep belief, considering history even before the Nigeria-Biafra war, that the Igbo people, if there were ever a secession, should form a nation on their own, or at least a federation as a country like England in the United Kingdom. I believe the nature and goal of an Igbo person will continue to be misunderstood by anyone and I do not want a situation where an Igbo person will feel they are held back because they don't want to be seen as overdoing anybody.

All of these thoughts were solidifed by the recent writings of Alabo Abiye Akkio-Abbey here https://www.facebook.com/alaboabiye.akkioabbey/posts/10153267949980028 and the replies by people from his community, some I have attached.
personally i love all Igbo country too. But i believe Kalu knows what he is doing. o buru na gina mmadu na azo ani, oge ikpe rue, i were nke abughi nkegi tinye na oke nke gi. ka oga abu ikpazu ka inwete anagi nile.
Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by Brooklynsouth(f): 11:16am On Oct 24, 2015
nwanlecha:
this guy from ur arguement u are not igbo so many words u used which is common with the yaribas and mind u the biafran consciousness is natural it awakens all with notice e.g portharcourt rally even the governor gave a wave on for the rally so my dear impostor u are not igbo and I know where this biafra problem is the igbo speaking biafrans are problems of the actualization mind t was an ijaw man that moved for the secession of biafra so they are more biafrans than ur igbo ones

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by tpiah11: 11:18am On Oct 24, 2015
carnegiefan:

Why would they be forcefully converted to Islam?

Moreso many of them are already muslims and besides, there are Christian or non-Islamic populations in the north as well who are indigenous to there.
Re: Is Biafra Igbo? by tpiah11: 11:56am On Oct 24, 2015
Besides, the southeast is not a "buffer zone" between north and south, the middle belt is.

You still have the midwest as an alternative route, not to mention river Niger.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Malabu OPL 245 - The Summary Of The Controversial Deal / Salary Is A Privilege Not A Right -rochas Okorocha / BREAKING NEWS Muhammadu Buhari- POISONED IN AMERICA "Pics INSIDE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.