Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,894 members, 7,806,617 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:09 PM

My Experience Today As An Applicant. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Experience Today As An Applicant. (39317 Views)

My Bitter Experience Today As A Marketer / 6 Annoying Things Nigerian Interviewers Do When Interviewing An Applicant / My Job Interview Experience Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Sashafm(f): 2:17pm On Oct 26, 2015
Being recently churned out by NYSC, on October 15th of this month. I have always heard about how precarious it was to get a job in this country without connections, but I did not actually know the gravity of it until now. Armed with my 2.1 certificate from OAU (The best University wink) and my NYSC discharged certificate I thought now I have arrived to become gainfully employed.

I left Lagos for Abuja just 2 days after my POP, alas, after sending out countless applications and applying for any job that fits my criteria, I have not even been called for a single interview!!!.

I was swayed after a week and thought to myself, if I wouldn't be called for interviews I would go in search of the companies my self and make an appearance. I was Wrong sad. I am not really conversant with Abuja very well, but i was determined to go in search of a job physically instead of gazing at my laptop all day long. I dressed in my best, looked very corporate even wore my corporate court shoes that i painfully bought from my alawee in the hope that when I get called for interview by Standard chartered bank or PWC grin, I would launch it. Anybody that met me on the way would think I am a business executive,on my way to seal a contract deal.

Started the long journey to town as I stay close to the airport. on getting there I started from Wuse zone 3, as I had earlier sourced from the internet the addresses of companies that had posted vacancies in Abuja. My plan was to go and submit my CV in person .Unfortunately for me I was even unable to locate the offices as, the Address given on the internet did not even correspond. mogbe moment was activated as I was lost, broke and on heels with no direction. I was being turned back at most of the offices, that was when I realized the gravity of being an unemployed person. At a point removed my shoes and changed to my sanders as i had packed them in my bag. Dejected and sad, I turned back home. And here I am at home again. Glued to my laptop and scanning for job again. It is indeed pathetic.

92 Likes 13 Shares

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by HungerBAD: 2:19pm On Oct 26, 2015
Lol.

October 15th you finished NYSC? you no even let the Ink dry for Month end? You Don enter road?

I like your spirit.

You will get something don't worry, it's just a matter of time. Meanwhile, do not limit your scope to Jobs in Nigeria only.

Apply for Foreign Jobs too.

Go through the UN Website. They usually have openings, although it takes them almost a year to get back to you if they need you.

But, give it a shot.

Goodluck.

131 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Nobody: 2:21pm On Oct 26, 2015
If na like dis exam questions dey long,everybody for cucuma dey ready for carryoversadsad

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Nobody: 2:22pm On Oct 26, 2015
HungerBAD:
Lol.
what is funny about that

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Sashafm(f): 2:24pm On Oct 26, 2015
Jollyjoy:
If na like dis exam questions dey long,everybody for cucuma dey ready for carryoversadsad
I don't understand your point.

23 Likes

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by queenfav(f): 2:25pm On Oct 26, 2015
Lesson number one..Never ever go for an interview with heels.They were not made for trekking.Biko,buy good flats and wear.If the job is your's ,its yours!No one cares if you are wearing a clarks shoe of 12k.Just dress well sha,in a way that the flats won't be really noticed.Secondly,going to apply in person doesn't pay most of the time.Your cv will just end up in the trashcan,that's if you are lucky enough to even get past the gateman.I can totally relate to your job search experience sha.God will see graduates through in Nigeria.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by kudus007(m): 2:28pm On Oct 26, 2015
it's so sad that seeking for job is difficult in Naija..i have sent uncountable applications on the Internet and up till now no response...I know how you feel Op just be optimistic everything will work out for good.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Nobody: 2:37pm On Oct 26, 2015
My own best tips-
Since u knw ur career profile and where u wud fit in,get a list of companies u feel u cud fit in,goto dere websites(career),fill in ur app. Or u get dere company email and send ur CV dere.
Also jobberman is also a gud jobsites in itself wen dey want to but all ds scammer job vacancies re just ruining tins,so wat i do most times is list down all dos vacancies go look for d companies on google,if i find dem i apply directly, cos most times i doubt all dos applications sent via jobberman get to dere destinations

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Nobody: 2:38pm On Oct 26, 2015
Best bet nowadays is get a list of outsourcing companies, apply to dem directly, send ur CV to dem

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Sashafm(f): 2:39pm On Oct 26, 2015
HungerBAD:
Lol.

October 15th you finished NYSC? you no even let the Ink dry for Month end? You Don enter road?

I like your spirit.

You will get something don't worry, it's just a matter of time. Meanwhile, do not limit your scope to Jobs in Nigeria only.

Apply for Foreign Jobs too.

Go through the UN Website. They usually have openings, although it takes them almost a year to get back to you if they need you.

But, give it a shot.

Goodluck.
I will definitely try that.
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Freeben: 2:39pm On Oct 26, 2015
October 15? And already frustrated? My guy hope still dey o. I finished service October 10th 2013, I have only been called to one interview since then and that was in December 2014. I submit my CV everyday. I am yet to give up, so guy, abeg never tire o. E MUST better for us.
Goodluck in your continious search!!!

Sashafm:
Being recently chunned out by NYSC, on October 15th of this month. I have always heard about how precarious it was to get a job in this country without connections, but I did not actually know the gravity of it until now . Armed with my 2.1 certificate from OAU ( The best University wink) and my NYSC discharged certificate I thought now I have arrived to become gainfully employed.
I left Lagos for Abuja just 2 days after my POP, alas, after sending out countless applications and applying for any job that fits my criteria, I have not even been called for a single interview!!!. I was swayed after a week and thought to my self, if I wouldn't be called for interviews I would go in search of the companies my self and make an appearance. I was Wrong sad. I am not really conversant with Abuja very well, but i was determined to go in search of a job physically instead of gazing at my laptop all day long. I dressed in my best, looked very corporate even wore my corporate court shoes that i painfully bought from my alawee in the hope that when I get called for interview by Standard chartered bank or PWC grin, I would launch it. Anybody that met me on the way would think I am a business executive,on my way to seal a contract deal.Started the long journey to town as I stay close to the airport. on getting there I started from Wuse zone 3, as I had earlier sourced from the internet the addresses of companies that had posted vacancies in Abuja. My plan was to go and submit my CV in person .Unfortunately for me I was even unable to locate the offices as, the Address given on the internet did not even correspond. mogbe moment was activated as I was lost, broke and on heels with no direction. I was being turned back at most of the offices, that was when I realized the gravity of being an unemployed person. At a point removed my shoes and changed to my sanders as i had packed them in my bag. Dejected and sad, I turned back home. And here I am at home again. Glued to my laptop and scanning for job again. It is indeed pathetic.
[color=#006600][/color]

24 Likes

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by SirLegal(m): 2:40pm On Oct 26, 2015
Hunting for an IT placement taught me a huge lesson on Employment in Nigeria.

I spent thousands of naira making fruitless journeys to Companies uninvited and of course always never made it past the Security/gatemen. It was really frustrating.

Just know, You ain't the only one out their going thru dis.

This is NIGERIA for us.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Sashafm(f): 2:41pm On Oct 26, 2015
danieloy4:
My own best tips-
Since u knw ur career profile and where u wud fit in,get a list of companies u feel u cud fit in,goto dere websites(career),fill in ur app. Or u get dere company email and send ur CV dere.
Also jobberman is also a gud jobsites in itself wen dey want to but all ds scammer job vacancies re just ruining tins,so wat i do most times is list down all dos vacancies go look for d companies on google,if i find dem i apply directly, cos most times i doubt all dos applications sent via jobberman get to dere destinations
Quite true as I am yet to receive anything from Jobbermam after all the applications even before I left service.
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Philadelphia: 2:43pm On Oct 26, 2015
Sashafm:
Being recently chunned out by NYSC, on October 15th of this month. I have always heard about how precarious it was to get a job in this country without connections, but I did not actually know the gravity of it until now . Armed with my 2.1 certificate from OAU ( The best University wink) and my NYSC discharged certificate I thought now I have arrived to become gainfully employed.
I left Lagos for Abuja just 2 days after my POP, alas, after sending out countless applications and applying for any job that fits my criteria, I have not even been called for a single interview!!!. I was swayed after a week and thought to my self, if I wouldn't be called for interviews I would go in search of the companies my self and make an appearance. I was Wrong sad. I am not really conversant with Abuja very well, but i was determined to go in search of a job physically instead of gazing at my laptop all day long. I dressed in my best, looked very corporate even wore my corporate court shoes that i painfully bought from my alawee in the hope that when I get called for interview by Standard chartered bank or PWC grin, I would launch it. Anybody that met me on the way would think I am a business executive,on my way to seal a contract deal.Started the long journey to town as I stay close to the airport. on getting there I started from Wuse zone 3, as I had earlier sourced from the internet the addresses of companies that had posted vacancies in Abuja. My plan was to go and submit my CV in person .Unfortunately for me I was even unable to locate the offices as, the Address given on the internet did not even correspond. mogbe moment was activated as I was lost, broke and on heels with no direction. I was being turned back at most of the offices, that was when I realized the gravity of being an unemployed person. At a point removed my shoes and changed to my sanders as i had packed them in my bag. Dejected and sad, I turned back home. And here I am at home again. Glued to my laptop and scanning for job again. It is indeed pathetic.

And who told you that OAU is the best University in Nigeria? undecided
I hiss in Swahili. angry

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Sashafm(f): 2:44pm On Oct 26, 2015
queenfav:
Lesson number one..Never ever go for an interview with heels.They were not made for trekking.Biko,buy good flats and wear.If the job is your's ,its yours!No one cares if you are wearing a clarks shoe of 12k.Just dress well sha,in a way that the flats won't be really noticed.Secondly,going to apply in person doesn't pay most of the time.Your cv will just end up in the trashcan,that's if you are lucky enough to even get past the gateman.I can totally relate to your job search experience sha.God will see graduates through in Nigeria.
lesson learned ma'am kiss
queenfav:
lesson learned ma'am
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Sashafm(f): 2:51pm On Oct 26, 2015
Philadelphia:

And who told you that OAU is the best University in Nigeria? undecided
I hiss in Swahili. angry
Pls don't derail this thread, I only made an attestation. You are free to make yours.

21 Likes

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Nobody: 2:51pm On Oct 26, 2015
Sashafm:
lol

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Opetech(m): 2:55pm On Oct 26, 2015
Sashafm:

You are a good writer. Never mind I had to quote you to write this.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Sashafm(f): 3:01pm On Oct 26, 2015
Opetech:

Thanks for noticing kiss
Opetech:

Thanks for noticing.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by CharlyNick: 3:07pm On Oct 26, 2015
Sashafm:

I saw you at Wuse today! So it was you on that Blue Suit?

See my signature if you want to stop searching for Jobs.

Did I hear u say you are broke after 1 week of Passing out? gosh!
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by seglad2(m): 3:08pm On Oct 26, 2015
walk to any real estate offices in ABJ. start from there, cos i really knw they will absorb u

1 Like

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Sashafm(f): 3:18pm On Oct 26, 2015
seglad2:
walk to any real estate offices in ABJ. start from there, cos i really knw they will absorb u
Do you know of ones you can't refer me to?
Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Roseey0(f): 3:26pm On Oct 26, 2015
babe just prepare your mind for a long wait lol

Did I hear Godforbid

It's the hard truth.
You can lay your hands on little things around until the good job comes shaa. Try teaching or Tailoring.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Nobody: 3:38pm On Oct 26, 2015
Hmm, it is well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by onismate: 3:41pm On Oct 26, 2015
i know it wont be so easy but i will advise you to be calm, try venturing into another thing like business or handwork you have while still job hunting. my sister finished her service last year but is yet to get a job, but her baking business she does, the money she dey get in one week, some government workers never make am in a month. though she will soon get a govt job before the end of the year. @shashafm please what did you study in school?

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Nobody: 3:52pm On Oct 26, 2015
Philadelphia:

And who told you that OAU is the best University in Nigeria? undecided I hiss in Swahili. angry
Who gave OAU the best University? I tire for you o . Best in dream.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by cmoney22222: 3:54pm On Oct 26, 2015
Op, I have been at home now for a year eating mama thank you. But am still search for a job. Anyway, may you find favor pretty soon. Don't relent. Cheers

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Leopantro: 4:05pm On Oct 26, 2015
Since you are still on the laptop, why don't you try another angle. Make a list of all large and medium size companies. Search LinkedIn, twitter and Facebook for these companies, identify their HR or their chief spokesman or woman of such companies and identify the contact email then use that. Be creative and think outside the box.

However, you have joined the band wagon in making the first mistake made by every graduate. Wish you success in your endeavours

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Today As An Applicant. by Stevano007(m): 4:08pm On Oct 26, 2015
Miss This is your experience as a wanderer not as an Applicant

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Waec Coordination for May/June 2016 starts Thursday,16th 2016 / 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable / Graduate Trainee At Diamond Bank Plc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.