Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,638 members, 7,801,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:55 AM

Is There A Need For A Standardised Igbo? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is There A Need For A Standardised Igbo? (837 Views)

Advice On How Much I Need For A Wedding Of 120 Guests Please / A Need To Redefine The Word:change-agent [article] / A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There A Need For A Standardised Igbo? by ezeagu(m): 8:28pm On Oct 28, 2015
A carry on from the last thread maybe, is there even a need for a Standard Igbo? Do people really use it for communicating to other dialect speakers in non-formal situations. People have fund ways to communicate without having to learn Igbo Izugbe, or Standard Igbo, but there's a suggestion that one form of Igbo needs to be the main Igbo, why is this?

1 Like

Re: Is There A Need For A Standardised Igbo? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Oct 29, 2015
I think what Igbo language needs is a uniform pattern and syntax. Every Igbo community should be encouraged to sustain their dialect. Various dialects can stand in as synonyms in the language.
Eg jee and gaa for go
Gote and zuta for buy

1 Like

Re: Is There A Need For A Standardised Igbo? by ezeagu(m): 7:51pm On Oct 29, 2015
Imagine a situation where the words are learnt as synonyms, then most dialects would become intelligible.

2 Likes

Re: Is There A Need For A Standardised Igbo? by Nobody: 12:03am On Oct 30, 2015
Who speaks "Standardized Igbo"?
Re: Is There A Need For A Standardised Igbo? by Nobody: 12:05am On Oct 30, 2015
adeitoro:
I think what Igbo language needs is a uniform pattern and syntax. Every Igbo community should be encouraged to sustain their dialect. Various dialects can stand in as synonyms in the language.
Eg jee and gaa for go
Gote and zuta for buy
Do you think neo-nsibidi can help?

1 Like

Re: Is There A Need For A Standardised Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:23am On Oct 30, 2015
Just my honest opinion here, from observation and experience..

I believe a standard should exist [Huh? So that Ngwa boy ChinenyeN is pro-standard? -- Yes]. The catch for me is that I believe said standard should exist insofar as language maintenance and literacy are concerned. Beyond that (and speaking strictly in the case of Igbo), I see a standard as unnecessary. The 100+ years of strong interaction along with early 20th century missionary efforts have helped established a speech baseline, largely influenced by the syntax of the Onitsha/Idemili axis (thanks to the spread of Catholicism).

From my observation, this speech baseline is both convenient and effective. To make use of the speech baseline, all one has to do is mostly mirror the syntax. In some instances, a change in lexicon may not even be requried. In that same manner, Standard Igbo provides support by laying down the general rules and guidelines for transcribing speech. We could call it a literary baseline.

The only major deficiency is that standards are prone to the unintended side effect of causing linguistic discrimination. We don't have to look far too find rampant cases of this among the Igbo. Aside from that, a standard has its uses.

However, I believe in and highly encourage focused development of the various lects. In my opinion, the lects stand a better chance of lexical growth than Standard Igbo. That's why I don't speak Standard Igbo, but still write it.

3 Likes

Re: Is There A Need For A Standardised Igbo? by Nobody: 1:32am On Oct 30, 2015
Johnydon22 you might like these folks.
Re: Is There A Need For A Standardised Igbo? by Nobody: 5:34am On Oct 30, 2015
imhotep:

Do you think neo-nsibidi can help?

I think nsibidi if standardized can be used along side with Latin alphabet.
Teaching nsibidi in schools will go a long way in spreading its usage.

1 Like

Re: Is There A Need For A Standardised Igbo? by Nobody: 6:07am On Oct 30, 2015
adeitoro:

I think nsibidi if standardized can be used along side with Latin alphabet.
Teaching nsibidi in schools will go a long way in spreading its usage.
i agree with you.

1 Like

Re: Is There A Need For A Standardised Igbo? by johnydon22(m): 7:38am On Oct 30, 2015
musKeeto:
Johnydon22 you might like these folks.

Thank you bro. . . so happy to this ...

ezeagu
adeitoro
chinenyeN
imhotep

This is wonderful guys, lets keep this thread alive for eternity.... Registering my presence here...

@ezeagu are you from ezeagu in enugu state?

1 Like

Re: Is There A Need For A Standardised Igbo? by Nobody: 8:43am On Oct 30, 2015
johnydon22:

Thank you bro. . . so happy to this ...

ezeagu
adeitoro
chinenyeN
imhotep

This is wonderful guys, lets keep this thread alive for eternity.... Registering my presence here...

@ezeagu are you from ezeagu in enugu state?
Supported.
This blogger is doing interesting things with nsibidi --> http://blog.nsibiri.org/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

OGWASHI-UKU CARNIVAL, THE BEGINNING IN RETROSPECT / Wow! See This Village Where It Is An Abomination To Have Doors In Your House / Lovely Photo Of Emir Of Kano And His Mother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.