Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,990 members, 7,806,880 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:03 AM

"MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" (27674 Views)

Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess / MTN In Fresh Trouble, Fined $8.5million / N1.4trn Penalty Too Heavy To Bear – MTN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by thrillionaire(m): 8:38am On Oct 29, 2015
When you port, your number remains the same, it doesn't change. The only change is that you're now on glo network but with your old number
eagleonearth:
MTN should pay that fine. This is a way of also getting a fraction out of the fortunes this telecom giant is carting away from nigeria. I bet there must have been other operators who failed to meet the deadline but the fact remains that MTN is so much hated by every well-meaning nigerian. MTN is an unscrupulous thief. Remember the days of "send go to 33.." and 100 will disappear just like dt. After the re-registration of my sim recently, they credited 500 to me which I could not check the balance. That airtime could not call up to 4mins and got exhausted. I can go on and on to state how this operator has dealt with Nigerians like me. If not for the popularity and engagement of my line which have lasted for over 11 yrs, I would have ported a long time ago.

1 Like

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by IamforGod: 8:41am On Oct 29, 2015
It's mtn users that will still pay that money

And they wnt even know they are paying
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by slap1(m): 8:44am On Oct 29, 2015
Whoever fined them such amount is a thief.
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by playboy19(m): 8:44am On Oct 29, 2015
chosby:

my people perish for lack of knowledge. We have no alternative for Dstv and mtn yet we are daring the South Africans. Shoprite, Standard Chartered- should I continue? A trade war with SA can't augur well for our nomadic economy o. pls make una warn the herdsman o!!!!!

You guys just spew sh!t everywhere just for talking sake. No alternative for MTN? Then why do we have other network providers? Aside from job losses, tell me a single service Mtn offers that we can't get from other network? And Standard Chartered? What's that again? You must be kidding, if quick loan is what you want, go to FCMB.

Let me enlighten you a little, incase you don't know, shoprite rarely build shopping centers, they only rent and partner with real estate developers and have a first right over the shopping space and use their brand to draw traffic to the mall. Let the quit their space today and watch over 100 retail stores bid for their space.

Dstv? Even Koos Becker, the owner, will never dare to make such statement. He knows in a very very few months from now, he'd be having a formidable competition which he won't even dare to bully like he did to Toyin
Subair. So in all this, aside for loss of job, what exact are the services these SA companies offering we can't get from somewhere else again? Stop running this country down. It's enough.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by next2kings(m): 8:46am On Oct 29, 2015
We have less foreign investors in this country and we want to chase them away, Fine! MTN has never been fair to Nigerians (me inclusive) but 1.4 Trillion is way too much. Beside, where's this money going into if not being shared by OGAz @the top...NCC ko...NCC ni.
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by chekasforchekas: 8:47am On Oct 29, 2015
Ncc I can testify for you guys ooo, my sim is not registered oooo an it's what am using to update this on nairaland so they should pay.
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by Arogba: 8:48am On Oct 29, 2015
Who ever in NCC came up with this fine must be smoking some cheap drugs. The company "MTN Nigeria" is not even worth $5 billion, so why would a regulator fine a company far more than the company is worth?
This is sending a wrong message to investors.

NCC is actually trying to cover up for it inadequacies. Remember, NCC took 45 billion Naira from the government for the same sim registration exercise that it never conducted.

This case will be in court for next few years.
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by Sandoefc(m): 8:48am On Oct 29, 2015
When two elephants fight it is the grasses that will bear the burden. MTN will shift the burden on Nigerians.

Omo nah to port oooooo
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by rman: 8:48am On Oct 29, 2015
When is FG going to fine themselves for not delivering on the national identity card?

We need to separate politics from business. We also need to separate our emotions from logical reasoning as Nigerians.

MTN is one of the biggest investors in Nigeria and government cannot punish them for their own laxity. Did NCC not collect money for sim reg that operators are already doing?

The main reason for this fine is because mtn has consistently refused to do the shady deals our politicians and public office holders are used to. Why fine 200k for every unregistered sim? Are u saying on the average Nigerians load 200k on their sims annually or monthly?

Mind u, this is the second time NCC is fining mtn in less than 1yr. The strategy is to frustrate them so they can take it over and run it like Nitel and kill it.

Yes, mtn is not perfect but this has politics and determination to frustrate them out written all over it. And for all those rejoicing, we are in a digital world where everything is linked together. If mtn shuts down all their switches today, economic activity will grind to a halt! Fact!

Swift, and other ISPs have their backbone traffic on their fibre infrastructure. Some oil platforms are using their Tx services. Some bank networks are riding on mtns enterprise solution and their back up may not be as robust.

Yes, fine mtn, but apply some common sense into it.

Fining one company 1/4 of the nations entire annual budget is illogical.

2 Likes

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by chekasforchekas: 8:49am On Oct 29, 2015
playboy19:

You guys just spew sh!t everywhere just for talking sake. No alternative for MTN? Then why do we have other network providers? Aside from job losses, tell me a single service Mtn offers that we can't get from other network? And Standard Chartered? What's that again? You must be kidding, if quick loan is what you want, go to FCMB.

Let me enlighten you a little, incase you don't know, shoprite rarely build shopping centers, they only rent and partner with real estate developers and have a first right over the shopping space and use their brand to draw traffic to the mall. Let the quit their space today and watch over 100 retail stores bid for their space.

Dstv? Even Koos Becker, the owner, will never dare to make such statement. He knows in a very very few months from now, he'd be having a formidable competition which he won't even dare to bully like he did to Toyin
Subair. So in all this, aside for loss of job, what exact are the services these SA companies offering we can't get from somewhere else again? Stop running this country down. It's enough.

your educated bro, nice one.

2 Likes

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by OlujobaSamuel: 8:49am On Oct 29, 2015
Mboi:
When the issue of Sim registration came out, so many Nigerians were skeptical about it. Some said it will be used for election, some refused to go register. Some bought already registered sims, some gave people to register for them with fake or incomplete addresses, unknown image and so on. When MTN tried to educate them the need to register properly, many customers complained that MTN does not have the right to force them to give them their data, that after using their lines for years, MTN is threatening them with disconnection for failure to disclose their data for them. From there a lot of people started shouting FRAUD by MTN. So they decided to let their customers be.

Now all of a sudden, NCC now mandated all network providers to disconnect every line that was not properly registered by August. Messages, calls were put across to mtn customers who did not register properly but many turned it down saying it's a disturbance. Why would mtn ask them to leave their businesses to go and start registering line again after they have done it before years back. With this, a lot of people didn't go for proper registration as at the August deadline and threatend to sue MTN if their lines are disconnected.
So as it is now, MTN is facing this huge penalty because in a way, she was being fair to her customers. It will be a great hit on Nigeria businesses when you wake up one morning and noticed that about 5million lines have been disconnected, keeping ur business, all your contacts gone. I think NCC should be fair to Nigerians in discharging their so called duties.
Why single out MTN, are you saying other network providers subscribers are knowledgeable than their MTN counterpart. Oga forget joor, mtn must pay, my line is about 11years old, I won't blink an eyelid in dumping it into the sea. As it is now, I don't have an account except the one I have with Zenith which is opened by the employer and GTB by NYSC, I closed all because I noticed they were stealing from me, couldn't close that because I wasn't the one that opened it and I need a letter to terminate it. I will rather not deal with you than to manage unfavorable relationship. MTN don scam us too much.

1 Like

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by prinsam30: 8:49am On Oct 29, 2015
just because of free calls wey I subscribed for 700 naira for one month, mtn Don take style chop my 1500 credit by forcing a subscription of 50mb 24hrs plan for 200 naira four times in a week, like say dat one never do dem, one minute call to mtn line na 47 naira, to other networks na 62 naira, I called dia customer care, d only thing wey dem fit tell me na, "we ar sorry for d inconvenience, pls bear with us" can u imagine Dis rubbish I swear na potting level I dey so oooo
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by BuddhaPalm(m): 8:52am On Oct 29, 2015
Lol, these figures have to be wrong.

NCC might as well tell them to just hand over their company, and go home.
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by idupaul: 8:53am On Oct 29, 2015
stupidity:
They should close down the company sef.

To all MTN subscribers, keep recharging your mtn sim on your own peril.
Mumu

1 Like

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by guyXander(m): 8:56am On Oct 29, 2015
Nemesis!!!
Yes!
There is justice!
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by MadCow1: 9:05am On Oct 29, 2015
playboy19:

Subair. So in all this, aside for loss of job, what exact are the services these SA companies offering we can't get from somewhere else again?

Young Man please take a seat and stop blowing hot air.

The truth is that MTN and DSTV Nigeria can close up shop in Nigeria and still reel in an annual profit. You make it sound as if Nigeria is a haven for people to do business in. With all the challenges they have to face in our business climate, they still managed to build the biggest brands in the two sectors they operate in. If they leave, the unemployment burden on the nation will be phenomenal. If doing what they do were that easy, HITV would be the King of cable Television in Nigeria and NITEL would still be the National telecoms network provider.

And please your post on shoprite is neither here nor there. If Shoprite leaves, many businesses will definitely take their space, but unless you are bringing in another foreign supermarket chain like ASDA, TESCO, WALMART, COSTCO, e.t.c, it wouldn't command the same business pull that SHOPRITE carried neither will they employ the number of staff that Shoprite does.

The Nigerian Market remains a free market. DSTV may be expensive but considering the number of original content DSTV carries, I absolutely understand. Nigerians will never question why a Mercedes in the same class as a KIA sells for 5 times the price of a KIA but yet would want DSTV to provide them premium packages for minimum wage. That is absolute bullshit.

I would be happy to see another cable Television subscriber give DSTV a run for their market share in Nigeria, but I doubt anybody would be able to achieve that immediately. DSTV has been doing this for over 20years. You don't just come out of nowhere to overthrow the king.

If DSTV shuts down AFRICA MAGIC... grin grin Nollywood actors will stage an "Occupy Nigeria protest". Musicians nko?

1 Like

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by OlujobaSamuel: 9:07am On Oct 29, 2015
rman:
When is FG going to fine themselves for not delivering on the national identity card?

W need to separate politics from business. We also need to separate our emotions from logical reasoning as Nigerians.

MTN is one of the biggest investors in Nigeria and government cannot punish them for their own laxity. Did NCC not collect money for sim reg that operators are already doing?

The main reason for thsi fine is because mtn has consistently refused to do the shady deals our politicians and public office holders are used to. Why fine 200k for every unregistered sim? Are u saying on the average Nigerians load 200k on their sims annually or monthly?

Mind u, this is the second time NCC is fining mtn in less than 1yr. T strategy is to frustrate them so they can take it over and run it like Nitel and kill it.

Yes, mtn is not perfect but this has politics and determination to frustrate them out written all over it. And for all those rejoicing, we are in a digital world where everything is linked together. I mtn shuts down all their switches today, economic activity will grind to a halt! Fact!

Swift, and other ISPs have their backbone traffic on their fibre infrastructure. Some oil platforms are using their Tx services. Some bank networks are riding on mtns enterprise solution and their back up may not be as robust.

Yes, fine mtn, but apply some common sense into it.

Fining one company 1/4 of the nations entire annual budget is illogical.
Bros, glo fibre optic is having a wider range than that of mtn. Do you know glo is the only network in Nigeria that runs a fibre optic cable from UK down to Nigeria and some other Africa countries.
NB; Not a glo fan nor have I used their network before, but setting the record straight.
Airtel is having a wider range in terms of reception in rural areas than any other network.
Last week, Mtn said they are to lose about 5m customers because it is more expensive running their network base in the rural communities. 70 to 85% are in the urban or suburban areas.
About 90% of subscribers(Enterprise Solutions inclusive) are having backups, so I only see a minimal effect as collateral damage.
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by francotunsco: 9:12am On Oct 29, 2015
Good for MTN! They told us per second billing was impossible until our own Glo stepped in and exposed them. DSTV, you are next, prepare for your woes aswell!
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by Wisdomkosi(m): 9:12am On Oct 29, 2015
Their father
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by xbernardx(m): 9:16am On Oct 29, 2015
I guess it is high time indegenous companies like antyGLO start raising to the challenges, i think now EmptyHen will know we cannot be taken for granted as Governement has changed hands, i bet they will start trading with caution now because we fit pursue them anytime.

Shoprite........
DSTV.........

After they will loot our shops, kill our citizens and call it xenophobic when ZumaJacob will say nothing......

#ProudlyNigerian
#NaijaEntrepreneur
#NaijaRocks
#ChaseThemOut

1 Like

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by M16: 9:16am On Oct 29, 2015
frankdata247:
kk

You are still going about on this site with your scams after being banned by the moderators. You have been using different monikers to continue with you scam. Nairalanders beware, this guy is a scammer and has no data to sell. HE will collect your money and stop answering your phone calls.
Moderators should do their work, and ensure scammers like this don't tarnish your site's reputation

1 Like

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by rusher14: 9:17am On Oct 29, 2015
playboy19:

Nuff said.
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by banio: 9:18am On Oct 29, 2015
Federal govt milking the economy tru various subterfuge. Soon MTN will sack people because of this fine. Its the public that will suffer while politicos enjoy the National loot
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by beright: 9:25am On Oct 29, 2015
It is called greed
MosquitoLaps:
I know they're misbehaving, but trillions?! Haba! That's too much for a fine na. You want to chase away potential foreign investors?
In fact, NCC must be probed!
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by proxillin(m): 9:29am On Oct 29, 2015
If its during Jonathan time, they wont even pay any fine talkless of doing managerial change. Buhari is Ijaya.

When is Buhari going to deal with DSTV?

1 Like

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by huthority01(m): 9:41am On Oct 29, 2015
eagleonearth:
MTN should pay that fine. This is a way of also getting a fraction out of the fortunes this telecom giant is carting away from nigeria. I bet there must have been other operators who failed to meet the deadline but the fact remains that MTN is so much hated by every well-meaning nigerian. MTN is an unscrupulous thief. Remember the days of "send go to 33.." and 100 will disappear just like dt. After the re-registration of my sim recently, they credited 500 to me which I could not check the balance. That airtime could not call up to 4mins and got exhausted. I can go on and on to state how this operator has dealt with Nigerians like me. If not for the popularity and engagement of my line which have lasted for over 11 yrs, I would have ported a long time ago.

Your comment show how basho you are with informations, your line hav lasted 11yrs that's why you can port.... Hmmm I pity ur life. Porting no hard but I bet you, you go run back to MTN you calling the worst network. Talking from experience ni ooO.

For those who will like to port to MTN, send PORT to 3232 and visit any of the work-in-centres around you complete porting process. You can call other network care centers for their porting process and still retain your number from other networks but mind you, you can't port back to your previous network until after 90days.

Lastly from your post I see that you have no understanding of about happenings between MTN and NCC. MTNNIGERIA failure to disconnect subscribers who fail to register their lines is in the best interest of their customers and in line to delivering good customer satisfactory service they have got nothing to loose in disconnecting the unregistered line which doesn't make 1/3 of the whole subscribers as planned by NCC.

THE WHOLE THING HAVE BEEN POLITIZIED, AS GLOBAM BEEN THE NATIONAL CARRIER IS NOT MAKING HEADWAY AMOUNG OTGER INTERNATIONAL NETWORKS. NCC NEED TO ANSWER A QUESTION.... I HOLD MY THUMB FOR NOW.
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by rman: 9:45am On Oct 29, 2015
OlujobaSamuel:

Bros, glo fibre optic is having a wider range than that of mtn. Do you know glo is the only network in Nigeria that runs a fibre optic cable from UK down to Nigeria and some other Africa countries.
NB; Not a glo fan nor have I used their network before, but setting the record straight.
Airtel is having a wider range in terms of reception in rural areas than any other network.
Last week, Mtn said they are to lose about 5m customers because it is more expensive running their network base in the rural communities. 70 to 85% are in the urban or suburban areas.
About 90% of subscribers(Enterprise Solutions inclusive) are having backups, so I only see a minimal effect as collateral damage.

GLO has one

Main One has one

MTN has one (west African cable landing company)

FYI, the total number of base stations in Nigeria combined is around 24 thousand. MTN has around 9500. There is no operator that has mtns coverage in Nigeria. Yes, network experience varies from location to location but fact is in terms of coverage no one is close to mtn. How did they end up with 50% market share if not due to wider coverage?

In major cities, they are not the market leader anymore so their large subscriber base is only due to wider coverage.
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by tobyemmanuel(m): 9:50am On Oct 29, 2015
Am very happy abt this. Soon nw MTN go close down. Wake up 2 days ago only to find out they deductd my 200naira
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by walade(m): 9:58am On Oct 29, 2015
MTN is unscrupulous.Illegal deduction of airtime balance at will is their pastime. They should pay or ship out. Awon Ole angry angry angry
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by youngjoe10(m): 10:04am On Oct 29, 2015
Our government with fines this days

First Bank
UBA
And nw MTN.
Is d new way of generating revenue, and scaring investors
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by Ijaya123: 10:06am On Oct 29, 2015
The fine is so on point. I dumped MTN for Glo many years ago, believe me, I've been better off.

After paying this fine, I doubt if there will be another edition of Project Fame next year.
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by Reference(m): 10:23am On Oct 29, 2015
lekjons:
Despite our hatred, most of us still uses MTN.
They really tried.

What i found annoying about them was the spam msgs, deducting your credit even when you have a valid subscribtion, automatic subscribtion(quotes, caller tunes e.t.c)

i believe they were doing all those because they didn't have a reasonable rival/competitor, which they'd find a threat.

Etisalat, Glo, Airtel all of them has their demerits..

May God help us..

Etisalat has no issues whatsoever as far as am concerned. I hardly touch my MTN. Sacked them as my main striker since 2003 then airtel for a while, GLO for about 5 years after but these are just substandard compared to Etisalat of which I have one voice and two microcards for data. Green, yellow and red sit on the bench. I ain't intrested in traffic lights, just a smooth cruise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mobile Phone Voice Changer Software Needed / Infinix Hot 10T (65,400) Vs TECNO Spark 7p (60,900) Which Should U Buy? (photos) / Glo Launches 'Glo Bolt' Super-fast Internet Modem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.