Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,840 members, 7,802,692 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:01 PM

University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell (47893 Views)

Kebbi Sickle Cell Association (KESCA) Marks World Sickle Cell Day (Photos) / Sickle Cell Patient On Oxygen Dies After Power Outage In Lagos / The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Liverpoolfc(m): 6:37pm On Oct 29, 2015
Berrylite:
Am glad this info is coming from UI, the seminar I attended about introducing herbal medicine into the medical curriculum will be the next. Am miles ahead of this because I have got a cure for diabetes too.
No more drugs or insulin injection. For the doubting Thomas(s) around, keep on quoting 1880 journals while the world is changing faster than you can comprehend.
Check my signature for details on managing diabetes using natural supplement.
I actually took time read through ur signature. you are far from what dm really is.
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by chunky78: 6:40pm On Oct 29, 2015
That's a great discovery and atleast something good can come out of nigeria
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Valfrankie(m): 6:42pm On Oct 29, 2015
I don't see any new discovery made in this report, I 've always known about the stem cell transplant, just like many of us here do, ok maybe the elimination of the chemotherapy session made it new. Dear fellow warriors, it is nor yet uhuru, this report is too sketchy to elicit any sigh of relief. The questions we should be asking include:

1. Will take transplant take place in Ibadan or the US?

2. How affordable to the common warrior in the street 'll it be?

3. Has any transplant been so far carried out in IBADAN?

These and many other questions should be answered before we can roll out the drums and celebrate. I also think if this is true, the government through the Nigeria Sickle Cell foundation should make it available to all warriors at little or no cost (as was done for HIV ART drugs, though this is different). I still believe in the Naija dreams, the future is bright! GOD bless all warriors.

Cc. Abali, Chi59 and all warriors present.

4 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Gassa007: 6:45pm On Oct 29, 2015
IlekeHD:
So proud of the Yoruba race grin grin grin
Use your brain,in case you don't have try to borrow na
NB:If you quote me back,you will die mysteriously. Thanks...
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by d33types: 6:46pm On Oct 29, 2015
Don't even start
This is a very ill informed reporter.
Bone marrow transplant has always been done for children .though it's very expensive, it's being done in UBTH(1st in west Africa). The chemotherapy that's even talked about is hydroxyurea which is long been in use in same UBTH Benin city to manage acute chest syndrome (a complication of sickle cell disease) and not to cure.
The procedure has its risks as well and is even not considered a cure yet.
This article is capable of making love struck (AS+AS) persons ,marry themselves hence my verdict is; zero knowledge is better than half knowledge.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by anumide(f): 6:55pm On Oct 29, 2015
mctima darling, is this true?
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Uinic14(m): 6:58pm On Oct 29, 2015
WHAT A RELIEF OF IMBALANCED BODY....GREAT NEWS
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by ernecy(m): 7:01pm On Oct 29, 2015
grin : D abeg I no fit Laff
Rumpelstiltskin:
Which of the mental facilities are you posting from really?

2 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by ipledge10(m): 7:11pm On Oct 29, 2015
I dont know Loyola collège,but I know University of illnois...expensive die like $36000/year
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 7:13pm On Oct 29, 2015
jamest3:
That is a good one. Respect to all those who didn't make it before this discovery, you are our heroes according to adaptive theories. But I didn't see any mention about what happens to the genotype? Will it change from ss to aa or as?
with a successful bone marrow transplant, the patients bone marrows will then start producing Normal RBC. when this happens, the normal RBC will gradually replace all the damaged sickled RBC.
So yes, the patient will become AA, if the bone marrows used was gotten from AA person.

2 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 7:17pm On Oct 29, 2015
Chi59:
Great news(if true)!
There is hope!!!!

Abali1, where art thou??
Fellow warriors, there is hope!!
I am here. Am really happy about the break through. The challenge will now be getting a 'matching Donor' for the transplant.
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Baddestmudafuka: 7:19pm On Oct 29, 2015
I fu©king came to fu©king check the fu©king names of the fu©king Nigerians who fu©king made a fu©king collaboration to fu©king discover a fu©king permanent cure for a fu©king disease and I wasn't fu©king disappointed.: Yorubas we are the fu©king baddest muthafuckers in this country cool

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Baddestmudafuka: 7:24pm On Oct 29, 2015
IlekeHD:
So proud of the Yoruba race grin grin grin

You get sense die. May ur husband pr!ck be long.
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 7:28pm On Oct 29, 2015
utytill:
But uniben teaching hospital did that to one boy last year or so?.
The bone marrow transplant as a cure for children has always been there. the difference here is that this one is for Adult Sufferers of SCD.
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 7:37pm On Oct 29, 2015
Valfrankie:
I don't see any new discovery made in this report, I 've always known about the stem cell transplant, just like many of us here do, ok maybe the elimination of the chemotherapy session made it new. Dear fellow warriors, it is nor yet uhuru, this report is too sketchy to elicit any sigh of relief. The questions we should be asking include:

1. Will take transplant take place in Ibadan or the US?

2. How affordable to the common warrior in the street 'll it be?

3. Has any transplant been so far carried out in IBADAN?

These and many other questions should be answered before we can roll out the drums and celebrate. I also think if this is true, the government through the Nigeria Sickle Cell foundation should make it available to all warriors at little or no cost (as was done for HIV ART drugs, though this is different). I still believe in the Naija dreams, the future is bright! GOD bless all warriors.

Cc. Abali, Chi59 and all warriors present.
The real difference apart from the Absence of Chemotherapy, is that, Adults can actually be cured through this process. The previous processes only involved children.
And yes the cost is going to be a huge hindrance to many people accessing this procedure.
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Nobody: 7:51pm On Oct 29, 2015
Rumpelstiltskin:
Which of the mental facilities are you posting from really?

Yaba left, i suppose grin

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Nobody: 7:53pm On Oct 29, 2015
Baddestmudafuka:
I fu©king came to fu©king check the fu©king names of the fu©king Nigerians who fu©king made a fu©king collaboration to fu©king discover a fu©king permanent cure for a fu©king disease and I wasn't fu©king disappointed.: Yorubas we are the fu©king baddest muthafuckers in this country cool

Yes! Yes! You're fu(c)king right mutherfu(c)kerrrrrrr
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Sincerityofheart(m): 8:11pm On Oct 29, 2015
That's a good news
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Valfrankie(m): 8:18pm On Oct 29, 2015
Abali1:

The real difference apart from the Absence of Chemotherapy, is that, Adults can actually be cured through this process. The previous processes only involved children.
And yes the cost is going to be a huge hindrance to many people accessing this procedure.
The previous process though risky was also carried out on adults. Anyway, let's see how it goes and hope the government 'll subsidise it

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by utytill(m): 8:21pm On Oct 29, 2015
@Abali1...i heard that there a hospital in abuja that is doing that.there was lady of 32 yrs that was looking for funds to go for that in abuja.not sure anyway.
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by tharaomo(f): 8:54pm On Oct 29, 2015
Love ui....rili want to go there bt cnt wait till nxt yr
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by XwhY(m): 8:58pm On Oct 29, 2015
Does it means Africans are the only continent living with sickle cell? When they say it will cure over 5 million Africans...
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by professore(m): 9:06pm On Oct 29, 2015
This is a good development
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by 0taPiaPia(m): 9:06pm On Oct 29, 2015
amiskurie:
This claims will be rubbished soon.

Those mofos never want any good come out of Africa

yea... same way the Nigerian govt never want any good to come out of eastern Nigeria.
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by dedugbaa(m): 9:45pm On Oct 29, 2015
amiskurie:
This claims will be rubbished soon.

Those mofos never want any good come out of Africa
Hello it is a great achievement but this form of treatment has been in existence for over 3 years it is well documented and is a staple seminar for post graduate student of biochemistry,cell biology and the like in Nigeria, am surprised the story reads a cure has been discovered instead of the first university in Nigeria to be able to carry out bone marrow transplant to cure sickle cell disease in Nigeria.The academic community will laugh at the newspaper for the misinformation.

2 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by akinsdotman(m): 10:02pm On Oct 29, 2015
Good
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by akinsdotman(m): 10:04pm On Oct 29, 2015
Liverpoolfc:
I actually took time read through ur signature. you are far from what dm really is.
Oga o
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by mfm04622: 10:10pm On Oct 29, 2015
nath0507:
@amiskurie

Its not a claim, I actually when through this procedure December 2013/January 2014 with my sister being my donor and up till date I have not had any crisis, so please don't discourage people that will wanna go through the process. Its enough that we go through the pain then to have someone that don't have any clue what the pain is like trying to put doubt into peoples mind is a shame. I had my transplant at National institute of health in Bethesda, MD and Am Nigerian born in the United States. Its real no joke. Please people don't listen to those ignorant folks trying to put doubt in your mind.

Thank God you got cured. The procedure is not NEW! It has always been an option. Just an expensive option that many couldn't explore because if the cost. Why is t University claiming they discover a cure now?

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by omoarole: 10:10pm On Oct 29, 2015
dedugbaa:

Hello it is a great achievement but this form of treatment has been in existence for over 3 years it is well documented and is a staple seminar for post graduate student of biochemistry,cell biology and the like in Nigeria, am surprised the story reads a cure has been discovered instead of the first university in Nigeria to be able to carry out bone marrow transplant to cure sickle cell disease in Nigeria.The academic community will laugh at the newspaper for the misinformation.

That's if the laughter hasn't started already. I wonder who is talking about a cure for sickle cell anemia. A cure? Where did they get that from? The only possible "cure" is gene therapy. As long as that glutamine-valine substitution remains on the beta hemoglobin locus, there is no possible cure. They will still have the S gene, even though the phenotype changes.
Now, by the way, bone marrow transplant has been available for more than 10 years for the treatment of bone marrow disorders including leukemia and SCA mainly for children. Stem cell therapy has also been available for a while shorter....and it's helping to change the phenotypic expression of the disease. I wonder what the breakthrough was really about.
Nobody really advocates stem cell therapy or bone marrow transplant for adults because it's usually a waste of resources. Reason being that the end organ damage from repetitive Sickle cell crises in infancy and childhood will make the gains of transplant unimportant, and might even increase the chances of transplant rejection, or GvH disease. It's like giving someone with Churg-Strauss syndrome a kidney transplant. It's not about the chemotherapy or immune suppression involved, it's about the outcome.
I will really love to read a scientific report about the breakthrough sha.....if anyone has the direct link from the researchers. I'm always wary of reading newspaper reports of scientific breakthroughs especially in Nigerian news

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by Nobody: 10:12pm On Oct 29, 2015
my niggas.... grin no need to fear AS and AS marriage.
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by damocheezy(m): 10:28pm On Oct 29, 2015
Spidermon:
This procedure theoretically had always been on the table.
that's not true. You are probably mistaking it for Leukaemia but this is sickle cell anaemia
Re: University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell by lacici(m): 10:54pm On Oct 29, 2015
Interesting! Kudos

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is There A Cure For Hiv/aids / Snake Hunter Bitten By Tiger Snake Is Facing Multiple Organ Failure in Australia / Anthony Ayalogu: Customs Comptroller Slumps At Airport, Dies, CG Mourns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.