Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,968 members, 7,799,296 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:35 PM

Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? (6663 Views)

Nigerian Developed Mobile Apps - Yaay Or Nay? / Who Have Heard Of Cordova And Phonegap? / Do You Develop Cross Platform Apps(cordova/phonegap)? Lets Meet On Whatsapp!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by logica(m): 7:47am On Dec 04, 2015
thewebcraft:

why would he use html5 for a very large project?
Hindsight is 20/20 vision.
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by Nobody: 8:10am On Dec 04, 2015
logica:
Hindsight is 20/20 vision.
Doubtful, i wont even score 5/20. HTML5 for large app can never be as scale-able as using NATIVE. I remain to be proven wronged.
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by logica(m): 8:13am On Dec 04, 2015
dhtml18:

Doubtful, i wont even score 5/20. HTML5 for large app can never be as scale-able as using NATIVE. I remain to be proven wronged.
...would you have thought like this if people like Facebook had not first made such a mistake? If Facebook had been on only native from the onset, you would all question why they didn't use HTML5.
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by Nobody: 9:37am On Dec 04, 2015
I am not here to argue, but i have done my research well into the matter. And i used to program hybrid apps before I moved to native. So lets say I am speaking from my own experience - but i may be wrong. I always believe in practicalizing these programming issues. Do your app and test the performance yourself - whatever the results, take it like that.

This is why i like the oyinbo people, they compare technical matters based on facts. A person might come and say function1 is faster, and another say function2 is faster, then someone tests the speed of the functions and give their results.

But in Nigeria, mister A can use only function1 - and will argue with everyone why function1 is the best, and why everyone should use it. Meanwhile, he has never used function2 and yet he will criticize it to the last.

The only way that this discussion can be meaningful is if the participants have actually created a mobile app with hybrid and native. That will at least enlighten them a bit.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by Nobody: 10:07am On Dec 04, 2015
Olumyco:
Whether native or hybrid. I believe it is a function of the developer.
Besides d issue of performance (speed) is d only problem dat can differentiate them. But still a good JavaScript programmer might still b able to overcome this.
The issue of UI, and others is no problem at all. If u know how to use HTML and CSS then u r gud to go.

I will like to ask this question. How many programming lang can b used to build android mobile apps and their names?
Speed will always be major difference and nothing can change that. The purpose of Cordova isn't speed but ease of cross development.

1 Like

Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by Nobody: 10:26am On Dec 04, 2015
pcguru1:

Thank you very much. Speed will always be major difference and nothing can change that. The purpose of Cordova isn't speed but ease of cross development.
Thank you very much jare. That is a fact, it has nothing absolutely to do with the type of hybrid method used - whether Cordova or Iconic.
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by Nobody: 10:33am On Dec 04, 2015
dhtml18:

Thank you very much jare. That is a fact, it has nothing absolutely to do with the type of hybrid method used - whether Cordova or Iconic.

I built a mobile application for a bank recently and yes its fast as in very fast since I used onsen and optimised it crazingly but what I realized that the speed differed from phone to phone Android 5 had mad performance 4 was good too but 3 average, now noticed some of the 5 devices had slow performance compared to others e.g inifinix but phones like one plus and HTC were fast. But you see on native regardless on the platform the animations and speed are consistent and always linear my animations sometimes could lag. Another issue one would face is if there are excessive doms, you are gonna experience some artifacts on lower end devices especially when showing a long list of items. I could go and on. Then comes the issues of plugins , you have to pray the plugin supports all platforms. Me I am looking for native cross platform development and also free too. Xamarin is too expensive
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by Nobody: 11:16am On Dec 04, 2015
That is right. I did all my researches too - into XAMARIN, and even ADOBE FLASH BUILDER WITH PHP. At the end of the day, i had to resort to native in the end.
Why should I be paying Adobe or Xamarin or anyone of them for something that i can get for free? for what?
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by Olumyco(m): 12:14pm On Dec 04, 2015
pcguru1:

I built a mobile application for a bank recently and yes its fast as in very fast since I used onsen and optimised it crazingly but what I realized that the speed differed from phone to phone Android 5 had mad performance 4 was good too but 3 average, now noticed some of the 5 devices had slow performance compared to others e.g inifinix but phones like one plus and HTC were fast. But you see on native regardless on the platform the animations and speed are consistent and always linear my animations sometimes could lag. Another issue one would face is if there are excessive doms, you are gonna experience some artifacts on lower end devices especially when showing a long list of items. I could go and on. Then comes the issues of plugins , you have to pray the plugin supports all platforms. Me I am looking for native cross platform development and also free too. Xamarin is too expensive

Nice
But did u use hybrid or native?
There is a student version of Xamarin that one can get & use for free.
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Dec 04, 2015
Olumyco:

Nice
But did u use hybrid or native?
There is a student version of Xamarin that one can get & use for free.

Hybrid check out Onsen its fast and caters to old device s not sure of ionic since I have never used it. Ionic looks like for high performance devices.

Not for me I work in a corporate organisation so student wouldn't give us all features and the yearly fee is just something else. Only thing that comes close is Qt but that's C++ I highly doubt fast development with c++
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by directonpc(m): 5:34pm On Dec 04, 2015
thewebcraft:

why would he use html5 for a very large project?
With this comment of yours you have agreed that native is better and webviews are lazy fixes (shortcut) :p
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by Nobody: 7:19am On Dec 05, 2015
^^^I believe the keyword is speed and efficiency. Large hybrid apps tend to drag - usually not the fault of the developer.
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by Nobody: 8:14am On Dec 05, 2015
With onsen you can achieve speed what I do is load HTML on demand rather than the putting all the template on one page. Check out verveworld on playstore my colleague built it and the performance is neat.
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by Nobody: 10:31am On Dec 05, 2015
Thats a good one, i shall try it and see for myself. I believe in practical things.
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by Olumyco(m): 6:29pm On Dec 05, 2015
With what pcguru1 just said, it confirms to us that a that d hand that plays d pipe dictate d tune. The developer exposure and understanding is a factor. I suscribe 2 dat idea of loading the html on demand.
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by FincoApps(m): 10:00pm On Dec 05, 2015
pcguru1:
With onsen you can achieve speed what I do is load HTML on demand rather than the putting all the template on one page. Check out verveworld on playstore my colleague built it and the performance is neat.

The app is pretty nice. Access bank app too is just like that, high performance app
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by Nobody: 8:46am On Dec 06, 2015
Olumyco:
With what pcguru1 just said, it confirms to us that a that d hand that plays d pipe dictate d tune. The developer exposure and understanding is a factor. I suscribe 2 dat idea of loading the html on demand.
This works even on dynamic and responsive websites too. However, I am not really so experienced with hybrid - just experimented a bit and jumped into native. But i am coming back into hybrid because there are some kind of apps that are just best done with hybrid.
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by FincoApps(m): 11:31am On Dec 06, 2015
dhtml18:

This works even on dynamic and responsive websites too. However, I am not really so experienced with hybrid - just experimented a bit and jumped into native. But i am coming back into hybrid because there are some kind of apps that are just best done with hybrid.

Exactly
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by thewebcraft(m): 10:20am On Dec 08, 2015
directonpc:

With this comment of yours you have agreed that native is better and webviews are lazy fixes (shortcut) :p
Who is comparing native and html5?
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by Nobody: 11:28am On Dec 08, 2015
thewebcraft:

That dude does not know what this thread is about, just dey misyarn.

1 Like

Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by thewebcraft(m): 12:34pm On Dec 08, 2015
pcguru1:

Hybrid check out Onsen its fast and caters to old device s not sure of ionic since I have never used it. Ionic looks like for high performance devices.

Onsen UI Is really fast (Top on my list, had to learn AngularJS because of it) only that its part of the AngularJs family.
Ionic is growing really fast, but they dont support android 2 O.S, also not that fast on android 4.4 (Check out my app)
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by thewebcraft(m): 12:39pm On Dec 08, 2015
dhtml18:

That dude does not know what this thread is about, just dey misyarn.
He wan beef me.. grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by thewebcraft(m): 12:45pm On Dec 08, 2015
dhtml18:

exactly why didnt facebook continue to use only php for their website? (They know it cant scale), besides they just decided to use HTML5 based on trends and also wanted to experiment on it.
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Dec 08, 2015
thewebcraft:

exactly why didnt facebook continue to use only php for their website? (They know it cant scale), besides they just decided to use HTML5 based on trends and also wanted to experiment on it.
You are quite correct.
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by directonpc(m): 3:53pm On Dec 08, 2015
thewebcraft:
Lol.
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by jboy01(m): 9:26am On Dec 09, 2015
what I know is that hybrid is giving the native tough time, and if hybrid is able to catch up with native, then like 70% of the Android native developer will no longer be needed.
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by Borwe: 11:03am On Dec 09, 2015
Can't write simple android game like Flappy Bird with Html5, that shit would lag.
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by FincoApps(m): 5:15pm On Dec 09, 2015
Borwe:
Can't write simple android game like Flappy Bird with Html5, that shit would lag.
Says who ?

There are powerful game libraries that would do the job well for mobile especially simple games like flappy birds, pacman etc. If you use BlackBerry, there's one game they created with HTML5. Till now I still think BlackBerry lied about it but then check the src files grin
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Dec 09, 2015
FincoApps:

Says who ?

There are powerful game libraries that would do the job well for mobile especially simple games like flappy birds, pacman etc. If you use BlackBerry, there's one game they created with HTML5. Till now I still think BlackBerry lied about it but then check the src files grin

It will lag at some point, especially on mobile, When it comes to gaming, infact it's not recommended to do Gaming in java on Android talkless of HTML5, C++ is the best option, i mean you have access to raw power and some API look clean. e.g Cocoa2dx sadly i don't know how to draw.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by FincoApps(m): 8:52pm On Dec 09, 2015
pcguru1:

It will lag at some point, especially on mobile, When it comes to gaming, infact it's not recommended to do Gaming in java on Android talkless of HTML5, C++ is the best option, i mean you have access to raw power and some API look clean. e.g Cocoa2dx sadly i don't know how to draw.

Seriously, that's why I mentioned simple games like Flappy birds. The game I'm talking about is brick breaker but with cool smooth animations.... maybe I'll record my screen, upload it and post the link here.

1 Like

Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by thewebcraft(m): 7:45am On Dec 10, 2015
Borwe:
Play it with your android phone online .. always have proof of what youre saying..
Re: Why Do HTML5 Mobile Apps Have A Bad Reputation (cordova / Phonegap)? by FincoApps(m): 9:17am On Dec 10, 2015
thewebcraft:

Play it with your android phone online .. always have proof of what youre saying..

looool nice mehn. Truly games can be created with Phonegap. Simple ones

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Any Data Scientists In The House? / Udemy Coupons: FREE--BE FAST BEFORE IT EXPIRES / Nairaland Programmers That Share Language And City In Common

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.