Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,588 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:50 PM

My Experience In Conducting 2015 Polls — Jega - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Experience In Conducting 2015 Polls — Jega (720 Views)

Court Stops Sheriff From Conducting Ondo PDP Primary In Ibadan / Ajimobi Leads Team In Conducting Cleanup Exercise Across Oyo State -pics / Nigeria Will Assist Benin Republic In Conducting Credible Elections – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience In Conducting 2015 Polls — Jega by donfemzy: 3:02am On Oct 30, 2015
For the first time after conducting the 2015 elections adjudged to be one of the country’s best, former Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commissioner, Professor Attahiru Jega, yesterday, spoke about what the commission went through.
Jega, who is now teaching Political Science at Bayero University, Kano, spoke at the first University of Abuja Public Lecture Series with the theme Electoral Reforms in Nigeria: Challenges and Prospects.

The former INEC boss said the commission had to contend with unnecessary challenges created by some desperate politicians, who wanted to win election at all cost.

According to Jega, many of the politicians, who he described as ‘militicians’ have a mindset of capturing power through any means, thereby trying to subvert the will of the people.

The former INEC boss said that the commission was able to thwart the antics of the desperate politicians by ensuring effective compliance with the laws and remaining transparent and non-partisan throughout the process.

Jega said: “From my experience, I quite often say that Nigeria has a special breed of politicians (Militicians). They generally tend to believe that political power through elections has to be ‘captured,’ and this has to be done by hook or by crook; and by any means necessary. To them, winning election is, literally, a do-or-die affair.

Minefield

“INEC faced perhaps its greatest challenge in containing the predisposition and reckless mindset of Nigerian politicians. Any wonder then that our political arena increasingly resembled a bloody battlefield, with maiming, killing, burning, and unimaginable destruction of lives and property.

“Navigating the minefield of do-or-die politicians as an impartial electoral umpire required nerves of steel, and we had to quickly muster the requisite thick skin, as well as appropriate containment strategies.

“A series of badly conducted elections could create perpetual political instability and easily reverse the gains of democratization. If adequate care is not taken, badly conducted elections can totally undermine democratization and replace it with authoritarian rule, of the civilian or military varieties.

Slams 2007 elections

“At best, they can install inept and corrupt leadership that can herald, if not institutionalize, bad governance. There are many illustrations or manifestations of this throughout Africa.

“But nowhere is this as amply illustrated as in the Nigerian case, especially between 1999 and 2007.

“The 2007 elections were manifestly the worst in Nigeria’s history, as declared by both domestic and international observers. The EU observer mission, for example, noted that the elections fell ‘short of basic international standards,’ and were characterized by violence and crude use of money to buy votes.

“There was reckless mobilization of ethno-religious cleavages and heightened use of money and thugs to influence results.

“The pre-electoral processes, such as party primaries, were conducted in grossly undemocratic fashion. In many cases, the results were said to have gone to the highest bidder.

“The winner of the presidential election, late President Umaru Yar’Adua, himself admitted on the day of his inauguration that there were serious flaws in the election that brought him to power.

Lists challenges

“There are also other associated challenges. For example, meeting the production deadlines in the production of PVCs was seriously affected by power failures, which damaged equipment, which the vendor could not quickly replace.

“The use of the SCR was constrained by the fact that some polling units were located in areas where there was no Internet coverage.”

Jega lauded President Muhammadu Buhari over the choice of his successor, Professor Mahmood Yakubu, boasting that he would make Nigerian proud with his leadership at INEC.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/10/my-experience-in-conducting-2015-polls-jega/

Re: My Experience In Conducting 2015 Polls — Jega by Demmocrats(m): 3:15am On Oct 30, 2015
The man I respect so much. I respect the way PDP is making there moves, its the right one. Pick someone from the north against APC in 2019 is a smart move that will cause a big imbalance in votes. The north will be divided because of it, then look for a SS/SE but I strongly go for SS which you know SE will accept as far as Jonathan endorsed the VP candidate. People still love Jonathan, they can use it to there advantage during campaign.

I strong go for JEGA or Almustapha as a strong candidate for PDP. That will create a strong division within the north with the help of SE which the senate President will be zoned to them to get there votes plus SS.

To me Jega is a perfect candidate because of his outstanding records and his influence both home and abroad and fearless attitude even during difficult times.
Re: My Experience In Conducting 2015 Polls — Jega by Segunod(m): 3:25am On Oct 30, 2015
I just hope and pray d new INEC boss can perform better than Prof Jega
Re: My Experience In Conducting 2015 Polls — Jega by nnachukz(m): 4:18am On Oct 30, 2015
APC led Government is nullifying many of the elections conducted under your watch or by you implying they were not actually as credible as you claimed.
Re: My Experience In Conducting 2015 Polls — Jega by TonyeBarcanista(m): 4:37am On Oct 30, 2015
Is it not the same election that is being nullified by the courts? How can the court nullify a free and fair election? Perhaps it is a case of judicial terrorism by the ruling APC administration.
Re: My Experience In Conducting 2015 Polls — Jega by Mynd44: 5:17am On Oct 30, 2015
Demmocrats:
The man I respect so much. I respect the way PDP is making there moves, its the right one. Pick someone from the north against APC in 2019 is a smart move that will cause a big imbalance in votes. The north will be divided because of it, then look for a SS/SE but I strongly go for SS which you know SE will accept as far as Jonathan endorsed the VP candidate. People still love Jonathan, they can use it to there advantage during campaign.

I strong go for JEGA or Almustapha as a strong candidate for PDP. That will create a strong division within the north with the help of SE which the senate President will be zoned to them to get there votes plus SS.

To me Jega is a perfect candidate because of his outstanding records and his influence both home and abroad and fearless attitude even during difficult times.
The only person the can split the Northern votes in 2019 is Kwankwaso. The names being peddle by the PDP can't touch President Buhari except he messes up the next 3.5 years
Re: My Experience In Conducting 2015 Polls — Jega by juman(m): 5:24am On Oct 30, 2015
He is man of honour.

INEC tried a lot.

Thanks to inec family.
Re: My Experience In Conducting 2015 Polls — Jega by juman(m): 5:27am On Oct 30, 2015
nnachukz:
APC led Government is nullifying many of the elections conducted under your watch or by you implying they were not actually as credible as you claimed.

Despite those election results cancelled, the jega election was the best election in the history of this country.
Re: My Experience In Conducting 2015 Polls — Jega by SkyBlue1: 5:29am On Oct 30, 2015
juman:

Despite those election results cancelled, the jega election was the best election in the history of this country.

And that is the point. It is only a testament to how bad the elections of the past have been, that's all. Hopefully the country can continue to build on this issue, and a giant step in the right direction would be a prosecution and jailing of people involved in electoral malpractise of the last elections.
Re: My Experience In Conducting 2015 Polls — Jega by menix(m): 5:30am On Oct 30, 2015
Jega abi Sega u re a fraud for all I know, keep deceiving urself with "One of the best election story" while APC tribunal upturns same election result..
Re: My Experience In Conducting 2015 Polls — Jega by juman(m): 5:34am On Oct 30, 2015
SkyBlue1:

And that is the point. It is only a testament to how bad the elections of the past have been, that's all.

You are right. Elections in nigeria always very bad, very bad "leaders".

Goodluck jonathan brought new phase of electioneering into the country. He brought better election.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News. Arsene Wenger Blames GEJ For Bayern Lost. BBC Hausa / What Will Nigerian's Lose Or Gain If They Let Biafrans Go? / Atiku Donates N10m Cash At HID Awolowo’s Book Launch-vanguard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.