Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,697 members, 7,805,863 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:33 AM

Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr (41654 Views)

How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You / How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake / E-recruiter MTN Graduate Trainee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 9:08am On Oct 30, 2015
As an international Recruiter,
I have noticed some things that hinder my recruitment in Nigeria, it is heart breaking when someone comes to me and says I'm relocating to the USA or Canada or wherever, what placement can you get for me and just by chatting with the person, I know that it will have to be a menial job despite the diplomas and degrees.
There is a reason why I have Recruited over 50 expatriates from some unimaginable countries into Nigeria where they got perks like:
3 bedroom furnished apartment in the Lekki area a few bus stops away from the company
2 domestic staffs to do the cleaning, cooking and driving.
Comprehensive health insurance
Approx. 10M annual salary
28 working days paid vacation
3 working days paid leave
Approx 3M in other allowances
Return annual paid tickets to their home country annually
In some cases a lesser paying job for the spouse is guaranteed.

I have facilitated the purchase of some Multi Million houses which Companies bought for their expatriate staffs. The minimum being 700M for 20 units of 3 bedroom flats, and some up to 2 Billion just for these expatriates.

You must be thinking why, below are some of the reasons in my opinion.
1. Education
Our universities don't help matters, they split one course into 3 units for students to study and graduate and use 20 years old techniques / syllabus to teach. As a result, fresh Nigerian graduates and even West African graduates can not stand fresh graduates from other parts of the world until they have experience or go for more classes. I begin to ask, what is the craze to get admission and graduate for?

2. Lack of seriousness on the part of the students
As if that isnt enough, many of their results were bought in the sense that in a new setting, they can't defend this result. A Bsc Econs holder couldn't pass an exam to place her in a 200level equivalent in the USA. While in school, a lot of them joined cults and turned to private prostitutes just to get the good grades. News Flash!!! Recruiters are fully aware and can't be deceived.

3. Inability to speak good English
What breaks my heart now is that many of them can't speak good English. They are well educated in the best schools but nothing to show for it. If that cert. goes missing today, and they have the opportunity to write another exam to receive a new result, 80% won't pass. Yes, English isn't our mother tongue but when you want a job in a company where English language is spoken, you have to speak English too. Your command of English is highly important. It can speak a lot about you even before you present your certs.

4. Greed
Now, once in a while, I see a graduate who has ticked all the wrong boxes still forming "I know my worth and wont settle for less". I'll simply tell you to call me next week as that's when I'll be recruiting for the big fishes and that will be the end. The bad part of these incompetence is that you never know you have them. Hence, there's nothing to lower those over inflated egos.

5. Nonchalant attitude
Some feel once they have gotten their certs esp. the 1st class and 2nd class upper, they have tried abeg. Cut them some slack, give them a break. But they don't understand that its just the beginning. You must seek more exposure by all means. Keep reading, keep find ways to polish your trophy, keep learning from those who are there.
For example; I can say, 90% of graduates, cant write a standard cover letter, 85% cant write a standard Resume / CV. My mum looked at an applicants cv one day, laughed and said, My CV was as naive as this when I applied for my first job. Meaning, that CV was in vogue in the 1970's!!! I'll talk more on the CV later.

6. Unrealistic desires
Okay, we all know you didn't spend years in the Uni for nothing. You didn't go to Boko Haram infested areas during your service for nothing etc. But baby, its time to wake up! Life isn't rosy anymore. There is tight competition out there. There are over 2000 people better than you graduating every year. The best tool you have when job hunting is experience. I daresay experience is more valuable than degrees in some cases. Start where you are as long as i can recharge your phone, transport you to and from work and pay your basic bills, it will be worth it.
Learn from Dami:
Dami (not real name) ticked 3 wrong boxes and due to the strict requirement, could never see the light of the job. What did Dami do?
He wrote a new application letter volunteering to work for free only asking to be allowed to benefit from the Company's transport as he lives far. 2 years later, Dami got a job in that company as an Assistant Mgr.

7. Lack of Packaging
You are a brand, you wish to be the face of a company, how can you sell the company in a good image if you can't sell yourself? Start with your CV and cover letter.
I don't care where you are from unless the job specifically asked for candidates from a particular region. telling me you have an experience as a waiter in a 7* hotel when applying for the post of a teacher will make me shove your resume in the bin.
Indicate all that apply and leave out the unnecessary details. I skim through 80 - 100 Cv's in 1hr or more. Meaning at a glance, I want to see what I want shouting back at me in your resume. Keep it straight to the point and Brief. Don't lie! Be creative, learn new ways to write a cv. Always ask someone who likes you to proof read for you. Always run a spell check. Don't have one CV. I have more than 8. Always create a new CV to fit the new job. Indicate in the section for skills, all your skills which was listed as a requirement.

8. Failing to test all spirits
Apply to all positions you feel you are qualified for.
Secret: You don't need to have it all. Hr Managers are there to brush you up!

I have to stop now.
Below is the cv of a guy with just WAEC ( I edited it for him )

The other pix are for laughter effects

28 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Milliprime: 9:23am On Oct 30, 2015
So how do you help to solve the problem.

You telling them to call you back next week whereas you do not wish to further with them goes a long way to show how you are being of no help to those you assumed client or job seeker.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by kaykash007(m): 9:34am On Oct 30, 2015
This is informative.....but I also think the Op should at least give hint on how to build a strong attractive CV to compete in the Nigeria Labour market.

3 Likes

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by ambassadorgozie(m): 9:40am On Oct 30, 2015
DEAR RECRUITER,

I am Mr Paul, studied International relations and graduated with 2.1 from a federal university, certified in French language and HSE, proficient in the use of MS office suite ,and i write articles..
Please help to fix me somewhere.

My email is ambassadorgozie@gmail.com .
I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards.
Paul

Help a jobless graduate..

Merci beaucoup!

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by jashar(f): 9:49am On Oct 30, 2015
ok OP. So, how are you going to help people that would like a job on this forum?
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by sakalisis(m): 10:16am On Oct 30, 2015
Hi OP

I am a freelance technology (Phone) researcher and entreprenuer, am a certified Java programmer coupled with my knowledge of phone and laptop repairs. I also graduated with a strong 2.1 in Physics Electronics from the best technology university in Nigeria.

My email is sakalisis@yahoo.com. I will be looking forward tp your reply.

Thanks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 10:19am On Oct 30, 2015
Please, I'll reply more on this later in the day. I am busy now.
Thanks.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Olabestonic001(m): 10:43am On Oct 30, 2015
My dear op, thanks for enlightening us on our errors in the job hunt. We are still evolving and I believe someone like you can be a catalyst to my career progression. I will like to have a personal chat with you.

N.B: I'm presently in a comfortable employment but who says I can't polish my "Trophy" as you"ve advised. Please kindly drop your email so that I can keep correspondence with you. Thanks so much.

2 Likes

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by skillip(m): 11:08am On Oct 30, 2015
@Op, nice write up you have written. However, I have some observations to make. I think after the summary your work experience comes next, I don't have time to be looking at interest etc first, because I have too many Cv's to peruse and no time.
I will prefere this format, Summary, work experience and accomplishment just beneath each job/place you worked, skills follow etc.
Like I said it's just my opinion, I just look for what you have done first, achievments/accomplishment, matching skills etc.
Keep it up.

1 Like

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by amicable09(f): 11:08am On Oct 30, 2015
Dear HR manager,

Sorry. In as much as you are pained, we are also more pained. One of these days I will write an article and post my pains too. Truth is we don't know what you recruiters want! I've noticed your preferences vary as well as the format CVs and Cover Letters should take.

We apply and get short listed, you bomb us with questions during the aptitude test that has no relationship whatsoever with the job role. Fortunately, we ace the test and are invited for an interview then you make the interview look like a war zone... very hostile looking panel throwing questions at you, other times you meet other HR Mgrs who simply act as though they are doing you a favor, haba! Me, I tire for all of these attitude sef. If there is a particular thing you are looking for just say it! if you want to pay a graduate 20k because we studied in Nigeria then say it as well, it is not when we say what we want you will then post us to a later date, Next week! Not fair jare

115 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by brainzdh(m): 11:39am On Oct 30, 2015
Thanks ma'am, you've spoken well. The unemployment situation in the country is quite terrible, that's why you'll find Crop Science graduates(and the likes) applying for jobs strictly stated for Engineering graduates.

At the end, it's so much work for the HR Recruiter to start sifting the thousands of CVs for a position slated for just 5persons.

Funny enough 3months into the job, one or two of the new recruits might tender resignation letters due to a better Job offer elsewhere or sudden frustration with the job....Lolz! At the end both recruiter & the unemployed share a level of pain.

2 Likes

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Emmaesty(f): 11:39am On Oct 30, 2015
Hello Gold45, I've sent you a pm. Please reply because I need your help regarding a particular problem
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by raayah(f): 12:03pm On Oct 30, 2015
Thank you for this great thread.
Very informative and entertaining grin

I think universities in Nigeria should have career services that teach job search skills like resume and CV writing and interview skills. The career services should also contact recruiters for Jobs on behalf of their students. That's how it's done in most places.

Our Universities are laughable to be honest, I got to the third year of my engineering degree in Nigeria and I had not used a computer. Not even microsoft applications. Meanwhile, First years in other countries have started designing robots, learning AutoCAD, solidworks, excel,MATLAB etc.

You just cannot compare both abeg.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Nobody: 12:08pm On Oct 30, 2015
Gold45:
Please, I'll reply more on this later in the day. I am busy now.
Thanks.

When you do get back to your thread please help me understand the following things

1. What makes the expatriates stand out in a pool of candidates where there are Nigerians as well?

2. Why are expatriates more appealing to recruiters/employers more than Nigerians?

Questions 1 & 2 are kind of similar but please treat them separately and be brutally honest abeg.

3. Do these expatriates actually meet and exceed expectations where they end up? Do they out perform their co-workers from Naija or other African countries?

I ask these questions because I've met a good number of Nigerians who are well spoken with a good head on their shoulders and come across as well adjusted adults who can handle business at the work place.

I really don't buy this notion & idea that Nigerian graduates are unemployable. Granted a number of them may mess up during applications and at interviews but a majority of folks I've met have it together.

My honest observation.

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by raayah(f): 12:19pm On Oct 30, 2015
sihom:

When you do get back to your thread please enlighten me on the following things

1. What makes the expatriates stand out in a pool of candidates where there are Nigerians as well?

2. Why are expatriates more appealing to recruiters/employers more than Nigerians?

Questions 1 & 2 are kind of similar but please treat them separately and be brutally honest abeg.

3. Do these expatriates actually meet and exceed expectations where they end up? Do they out perform their co-workers from Naija or other African countries?

I ask these questions because I've met a good number of Nigerians who are well spoken with a good head on their shoulders and come across as well adjusted adults who can handle business at the work place.

So I honestly don't buy this notion & idea that Nigerian graduates are unemployable. Granted a number of them may mess up during applications and at interviews but a majority of folks I've met have it together.

I think most expatriates are usually engineers/ construction workers / Technology. Truth is that our universities do not teach practical work at all. A lot of people cannot handle basic microsoft applications , there were not taught. Students studying computer science have never wrote an App/ Programmed a machine. This is what other countries are doing in their first years.
What about their labs? Its standard. They are taught to use equipments that Nigerians only read about. A business will not invest 100 million into a machine and give it to someone who has no experience to run it. Simply not done. We should step up a country.

Expatriates are way better than Nigerians in terms of experience, education and professionalism. If we fix our education sector, students will be rushing to study in Nigeria from all over the world. We will definitely reduce the amount of expattriates.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Nobody: 12:24pm On Oct 30, 2015
OP, they spend a lot of time on other activites like going out on dates and so on.

"What goes around, comes around."

1 Like

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by yorex2011: 1:36pm On Oct 30, 2015
I'm usually saddened when Nigerian graduates and students are belittled, using qualifiers as "half-baked" and "unemployable".
Considering I'm a recent Graduate myself.
We are compared with our counterparts from other developed countries, forgetting that we are a developing country.
True, there are a number that fall short of expectation, but it is like that in other countries too.
I recently registered for a massive open online course (MOOC) organized by IFP school France, and i am impressed at their methodology, and i imagined, that's how it should be in their schools there too, learning is convenient and interesting, unlike here in Nigeria where we have to go through hurdles, such as economic hardships, poor amenities, difficult learning conditions and yet still graduate with good grades.

Nigerian graduates should not be belittled, if not for anything but for the fact that we triumphed in difficult conditions.
Everyday we see topics of Engineering students building stuff and here on Nairaland are still insulted, and their efforts rubbished. Do they think its easy building something out of nothing, it shows our innovative and never say die spirit.

We should try to help out, we wont get anywhere by criticizing everyday, we should try to offer solutions, seek out ways to improve the state of things. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I'm currently looking for a job, but i helped a fellow nairalander review his cv once, I'm not a professional CV writer, but i read a lot and I did it, as a way of contributing to some form of development. Same with a group i created for unemployed graduates where we share ideas, information, tips, ideas. Its not much but I'm contributing the little i can.

We sometimes forget the days of humble beginnings, someone that schooled in Nigeria, maybe holding a good position, calling graduates unemployable...

Nigerians are good people, hardworking, it goes beyond what you see, its a way of life, even if 90% of us can't write a cover letter or 85% of use can't write a CV, we will keep persevering, we will keep going till we overcome

Note that a future president, future CEO, future Nobel prize winner is currently among these so-called half baked.

God bless us all

72 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by sochima1989(m): 1:39pm On Oct 30, 2015
well recruiters also end up hiring wrong candidates when you expect them to rehearse very well their line before meeting the oh great same question panel. am an example of a candidate what underwent the whole stage from 30 to 15 to 5 to 3 and unfortunately got the job. I resigned after a month cos employers have worse problems(not all though)
And when you need a pillar to rely on, your recruiters are not there. If only recruiters can take their time not only looking for qualified candidates but also telling the candidates what to expect from their employers it will be good.
I have not met an employer willing to give me my dream job and as u said worth but i have learned to create that myself.
RECRUITERS PLEASE THE ISSUE IS NOT WITH YOU BUT THE WOLVES YOU SEND US TO....... IF YOU WANT IT TO BE BUSINESS AS USUAL THEN THE IN/CHASE/RUN STYLE WILL CONTINUE.......BUT IF YOU DESIRE TO SOLVE SOME OF THE PROBLEMS YOU LISTED ABOVE, THERE IS A LITTLE PART YOU MUST PLAY.........DEFEND YOUR CANDIDATES.
Am a customer service personnel, i wanna learn, i wanna do more, i wanna earn my worth but maybe by myself

7 Likes

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Nobody: 1:49pm On Oct 30, 2015
raayah:

I think most expatriates are usually engineers/ construction workers / Technology. Truth is that our universities do not teach practical work at all. A lot of people cannot handle basic microsoft applications , there were not taught. Students studying computer science have never wrote an App/ Programmed a machine. This is what other countries are doing in their first years.
What about their labs? Its standard. They are taught to use equipments that Nigerians only read about.

Expatriates are way better than Nigerians in terms of experience, education and professionalism. If we fix our education sector, students will be rushing to study in Nigeria from all over the world. We will definitely reduce the amount of expattriates.
Hey, just read your posts. cheesy

Tell me, are you an educationist?

2 Likes

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Opetech(m): 1:54pm On Oct 30, 2015
I'm here to learn

I know this is front page material
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Nihilist: 2:04pm On Oct 30, 2015
CV format posted by the OP is wrong in the first place.

The OP alludes to recruiting mainly fresh grads but posts of sample CV where their education is at the bottom while interests and experience are on top.

Interests are not interesting to recruiters and a fresh graduate is not really expected to have that much experience\achievements anyway.

A CV should sell its owner. OP your sample cv is just boli paper

12 Likes

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by sochima1989(m): 2:11pm On Oct 30, 2015
Its gonna be wrong and so wrong if we quote and reply quotes here telling ourselves Nigerian youths are not employable.
how many of you were taught how to write a resume or cover letter in the university?
how many of u have had an Indian, a Chinese, a Frenchman etc preview and rewrite your cv? its a world of crux
how many of u sat before panels who by no chance can do better if they are in your shoes?
how many of u had a chance to correct wrong answers from job test?
I wont mention company names but i tell you they are such blue chip companies in Nigeria(MY short experience)
Mid last year it was a banking test and guess what? we answered 20 questions out of which our interviewers couldnt get right just 5 correct answers.... we were almost thrown out cos we stood on correcting them even if our names were delisted.
secondly, i went for a call center agent interview in another finance sector firm it was a messy day till date cos that position is always vacant after every month..... My interviewer called me names because i cant fraud my way to get result, cos i cant speak french, cos am gonna turn out an activist...but when the test grade was sent,,,,i had a go go green Tag.
I would object at all day that we lack good and qualified graduates cos same employees had same fate but as human they become Oliver Twist...........wanting more than ten out of ten.......

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Richie0974: 2:13pm On Oct 30, 2015
Ok
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by HonourablePomk: 2:13pm On Oct 30, 2015
Ok
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by yomalex(m): 2:14pm On Oct 30, 2015
Hmm God HELP us
Check top jobs and vacancies on http://www.jobsdome.com
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by condralbede(m): 2:16pm On Oct 30, 2015
ok
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by kulobyno: 2:17pm On Oct 30, 2015
Ok
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Aitee1: 2:17pm On Oct 30, 2015
lipsrsealed
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by yemstok(m): 2:17pm On Oct 30, 2015
o.p, u listed the problems. solution nko?
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by menix(m): 2:18pm On Oct 30, 2015
Nice..
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Johniyke2flex(m): 2:19pm On Oct 30, 2015
Came here looking for the way forward, but as usual, OP has only stated the problems.

Is it not irony that some of these HR managers that only became polished after they had spent many years undergoing trainings from top tier companies would later turn around and complain about the unavailability of employable graduates?

Nigerian graduates are employable. Just a few of them are a mess, and those few need just rechannel their manpower to something else.

We are constantly being judged by the standards of developed nations. It is absolutely wrong. In life you get what you pay for.

I was very surprised when a very close friend that I graduated with some years back echoed those same words..."Nigerian graduates are unemployable." I was mad. Is it this same guy that graduated with a weak 2.2? Is it this same guy whose uncle help facilitate his employment into the multinational where he currently works? He was the least intelligent in our group, and there he was, spewing trash. Of course I echoed all that in my mind.

He had become refined and polished, but cowardly, he had dissociated himself from the system that produced him. He had clung to the system that cleaned him up, and was judging others by his current standard. That's the irony of the Nigerian situation.

Give everybody that equal opportunity and watch the Nigerian graduate soar to high heavens.

I may not have that perfect CV, and, I may not have attended an ivy league school, but, I am employable, and, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

57 Likes 6 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How Civil Servants In Nigeria Are Graded / His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off / STERLING BANK RECRUITMENT- The True Story!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.