Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,879 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:03 AM

I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) (38557 Views)

Why I Sold ‘monkey Tail ’ To Feed My Family – Woman Tells Ndlea / Why I Dumped My One-Day-Old Baby - Mother (pictured) / 15-year-old Loses Eye After Flogging By Step Mother (pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by ijustdey: 5:28pm On Oct 30, 2015
By Emma Una
CALABAR—MARIA Ekanem, a 20-year-old school drop out from Odukpani Local Government Area of Cross River State, said yesterday in Calabar that poverty and lack of where to stay after she gave birth made her sell her two weeks old baby girl for N20,000.

Maria, who was arrested by the police along five other accomplices, said her boyfriend who got her pregnant, asked her to abort the baby but said a doctor helped her with free antenatal care and food until she gave birth.
This, she added, prompted her to agree to sell the baby when arrangements were made to sell.

Paraded along with Maria were a 55-year-old medical doctor, Okokon Offiong Okoho, the proprietor of Evangel Clinic,of 2, Atu Street; a 70-year-old matron of Sadatoe Maternity located at Umoh Street and a nurse at the maternity who allegedly made the plans to sell the girl to an Abuja-based lady who is now on the run.

However, plans to sell the two weeks old girl was leaked to the police by a Senior Secondary Two girl of NYSC Demonstration Secondary School, Calabar , Maria Elemi, whose parents Maria was living with after she delivered the baby.

“When I came back from school on Monday, Maria told me she wanted to take the baby to the parents of the boy who impregnated her since she can no longer cope with taking care of the baby,” she said.

Maria said when they got to Fuller by Inyang Street in Calabar South, they met Mrs Elemi and her daughter in an SUV car, adding that Maria gave the girl to the matron who handed her over to the buyer.

She said: “The woman gave Maria N20,000 and asked her to pay the nurse at the Evangel Clinic and use the rest for herself.”
The girl said she became suspicious when the driver of the SUV told the woman with the baby that her husband said she should take her to the airport to catch a flight to Abuja .

“I started wondering why they should take the girl to the airport when the boyfriend to Maria and her parents live here in Calabar,” Maria stated.

Cross River Police Public Relations Officer, ASP John Eluu, who paraded Maria along with the doctor and Matron, said when information got to the police at the Federal Housing Police Station, detectives swung into action and arrested the suspects.

Eluu said investigations were continuing to apprehend the buyer of the girl who is now on the run.

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/10/i-sold-my-daughter-because-of-poverty-20-year-old-mother/

lalasticlala

Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by Chanchit: 5:33pm On Oct 30, 2015
There's nothing wrong in what she did had it been it was done legally. She should be assisted in giving the baby up for adoption, I hate seeing children suffer from poverty which they know nothing about. Even the mother needs care, she looks like a man.

75 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by Oppypoppy: 5:34pm On Oct 30, 2015
Hmmmmmmmmm
Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by Imortal001: 5:35pm On Oct 30, 2015
No be poverty dey worri her, na opolo eye dey worri her....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by fatheritunu: 5:41pm On Oct 30, 2015
Speechless speechless, that's how you make me feel....
Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by yomi007k(m): 5:49pm On Oct 30, 2015
For 20,000?

Chineke mee

1 Like

Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by rozzyy(m): 5:49pm On Oct 30, 2015
Send am go sambissa. Make she born plenty so she fit dy sell plenty
Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by SLIDEwaxie(m): 5:53pm On Oct 30, 2015
YOU SHLD HAVE LET HER GROW TO LIKE 17 YEARS AND SELL HER. IS THAT NOT WHAT YOU GUYS DO WHEN YOU COLLECT BRIDE PRICE RUNNING INTO MILLIONS OF NAIRA?

1 Like

Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by Yustash001(m): 6:00pm On Oct 30, 2015
You didn't consider poverty when you were enjoying the rod....na thunder go fire you...

6 Likes

Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by Bonapart(m): 6:12pm On Oct 30, 2015

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by bisdam9086(m): 6:12pm On Oct 30, 2015
Poverty is never an excuse for this... Wicked mother..

1 Like

Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by Berrylite: 6:13pm On Oct 30, 2015
If you cannot use protection, better stay off sex.

Click my signature and know how to manage diabetes naturally

1 Like

Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by ajosegabriel(m): 6:14pm On Oct 30, 2015
that's too inhumane...signs of End time
Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by raayah(f): 6:14pm On Oct 30, 2015
Just sad all the way.

We need adoption homes and planned family resource enters in this country.

Women like these who cannot care for their children should be able to put their kids up for adoption for another loving family to take.
Family resource centers will also give women information about contraceptives and family planing in general.

I hope they release her.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by Nobody: 6:14pm On Oct 30, 2015
What is Nigeria turning into. Just because of 20000 naira she sold the future president. Thank God she didn't abort it

Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by Truckpusher(m): 6:14pm On Oct 30, 2015
Chanchit:
There's nothing wrong in what she did had it been it was done legally. She should be assisted in giving the baby up for adoption, I hate seeing children suffer from poverty which they know nothing about. Even the mother needs care, she looks like a man.
It is still illegal and she will pay the price.

You have no excuse to commit any crime, you do the deed - you'll do the time.

2 Likes

Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by pure11(m): 6:14pm On Oct 30, 2015
i don't know for these naija women oooo
Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by saintkel(m): 6:14pm On Oct 30, 2015
D evil of today makes me wonder how the world will be in 2030

2 Likes

Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by Firefire(m): 6:14pm On Oct 30, 2015
embarassed
Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by dexon007: 6:15pm On Oct 30, 2015
God bless the real mothers
Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by lilmax(m): 6:15pm On Oct 30, 2015
This woman is a disgrace
Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by MizFrances(f): 6:15pm On Oct 30, 2015
Foolishness undecided
Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by EMMYB0Y(m): 6:16pm On Oct 30, 2015
nowadays its only God that can help. ... enjoy your money and your life while you still can. .... END TIME THINGS
Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by adesegun121(m): 6:16pm On Oct 30, 2015
sad sad sad shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked cry cry cry cry cry

To all mothers and women on this nairaland, poverty will not lead you to bad act..
type amen to claim this prayer and shared.
Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by saintkel(m): 6:16pm On Oct 30, 2015
Berrylite:
Hmmm
Dear u have to say sumtin, wots all dis hmm for? Abi u d sing hymn?
Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by themantle: 6:16pm On Oct 30, 2015
For close to 3month now, the students of the College of Health Sciences, Okofia-Nnewi campus have not known peace. The students of the College live in perpetual fear of harassment, burglary, armed robbery attacks from men of the underworld.
The robbers who are usually armed with daggers, guns, machetes etc specialize in burglary, snatching of bags, stealing of phones, laptops, tablets, cars, motorbikes etc at gun point, and even stealing during evening classes(night class) when students come to read overnight.
According to a student of the college who spoke on condition of anonymity, valuables worth millions of naira have been stolen by the thieves since august, 2015. These valuables include a car, motorcycles, laptops, tablets, phones, generator sets, money etc. She also lamented that several lodges have experienced the terrifying attack of the robbers including New heaven lodge, Ivy crystal, Madonna extension(Unity), Grand villa, Villa park, Good shepherd, Triumphant city. Mega lodge etc.
In her words, “The serial robbery started while we were writing our semester exams around august when student was robbed of her car and escalated during the vacation period.” She said that MBBS students, nursing students are still in school in order to enable them prepare for their professional examinations. “We are no longer safe in this community. We are no longer safe even inside our classrooms. We now live in fear everyday because nobody knows who will be the next victim.” She added.
One of the medical students who looked obviously infuriated by the situation urged the Commissioner of Police, Anambra state to as matter urgency deploy mobile policemen to the village to ensure the security of lives and property. He also informed us that the university management was aware of the situation and has promised to inform relevant security operatives.
The College of Health Sciences is the medical campus of Nnamdi Azikiwe University. The college has 3 faculties and 8 departments including Medicine, Nursing, Radiography, Medical Laboratory Sciences, Physiotherapy, Anatomy, Physiology and Environmental health (diploma). The roads leading to the College are almost are in a bad state and a proposed hostel project was seen abandoned by the Central Bank of Nigeria. Ongoing projects within the Campus included the internal road project, Faculty of health science building, Classroom blocks and an administrative building (donated by Dr. Cletus Ibeto).
We urge the Police to swing into action to put end to what can best be described as a serial robbery attacks by deadly and desperate robbers. Our future doctors, nurses and medical personnel deserve to study in a conducive environment and not in an atmosphere of fear.

https://www.nairaland.com/2696534/okofia-three-months-serial-robbery#39443288

1 Like

Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by Nobody: 6:16pm On Oct 30, 2015
Poverty causing confusion in Nigeria since 1958... cry
Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by ilo04(m): 6:17pm On Oct 30, 2015
when u cannot feud on yourself talkless of little child, y do u get pregnant.

condom is just fifty naira

I just pity d innocent little child

This a lesson to other girls
Pls avoid pre marital sex or if u must do use condom

1 Like

Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by Okemmuo(m): 6:18pm On Oct 30, 2015
Chaiyee!!!.........
Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by Badboiz(m): 6:19pm On Oct 30, 2015
This is sad
Re: I Sold My Daughter Because Of Poverty — 20-year-old Mother (pictured) by otiigba1(m): 6:19pm On Oct 30, 2015
Chanchit:
Absolutely!, but still i blame the girl entirely for having sex with the so called boy friend knowing that she could not look after the poor innocent child. And the level of selling of babies willy nilly in nigeria boggles the mind.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Vigilante Men Arrest Fulani Gunmen With Weapons Going To Delta From Taraba(pics) / Nigerian Man To Be Shot Dead In Thailand For Cocaine Business Scam (Video) / Police Arrest Alese, Badoo Cult’s Herbalist (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.