Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,983 members, 7,806,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:33 AM

What's The Halloween Fuzz/buzz About - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's The Halloween Fuzz/buzz About (357 Views)

Facebook Founder,Mark Zuckerberg And Family Mark Halloween In Vikings Costume / White Couple Mock Nigerians With Halloween Costume!!! [photo] / Funny Halloween Costume Of White People Dressed As Blacks Holding Nigerian Flags (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What's The Halloween Fuzz/buzz About by koife(m): 2:33pm On Nov 01, 2015
I have watched with dismay many uninformed nigerian/African friends of mine take the holloween craze to a whole new level, even to church. They flood my fb timeline and other social media platforms with their rather scary wizardry looks. They seem to identify and ignorantly celebrate foreign culture than their own. Africa is know for its rich culture, juju, charms, ogbanje, and many other allegedly known deities like shongo,amadioha et all., av never seen our people and indeed the whites celebrate them.I had to make some research and here is what I discovered.

Halloween is a holiday celebrated on the night of October 31. The word Halloween is a shortening of All Hallows’ Evening also known as Hallowe’en or All Hallows’ Eve.

Traditional activities include trick-or-treating, bonfires, costume parties, visiting “haunted houses” and carving jack-o-lanterns. Irish and Scottish immigrants carried versions of the tradition to North America in the nineteenth century. Other western countries embraced the holiday in the late twentieth century including Ireland, the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and the United Kingdom as well as of Australia and New Zealand.

Halloween has its origins in the ancient Celtic festival known as Samhain (pronounced “sah-win”).
The festival of Samhain is a celebration of the end of the harvest season in Gaelic culture. Samhain was a time used by the ancient pagans to take stock of supplies and prepare for winter. The ancient Gaels believed that on October 31, the boundaries between the worlds of the living and the dead overlapped and the deceased would come back to life and cause havoc such as sickness or damaged crops.

The festival would frequently involve bonfires. It is believed that the fires attracted insects to the area which attracted bats to the area. These are additional attributes of the history of Halloween (sourcehttp://www.halloweenhistory.org)
Clearly, it is a celebration of the western world and purely based on fiction. So can someone in the house pls answer my question why Nigerians carry the thing for head. Some new churches even sometimes ask their members to dress in special way undecided
Re: What's The Halloween Fuzz/buzz About by thebestonearth(m): 2:34pm On Nov 01, 2015
koife:
I have watched with dismay many uninformed nigerian/African friends of mine take the holloween craze to a whole new level, even to church. They flood my fb timeline and rather scary wizardry looks. They seem to identify and ignorantlty celebrate foreign culture that their own. Africa is know for its rich culture, juju, charms, ogbanje, and many other allegedly known deities like shongo,amadioha et all., av never seen our people and indeed the whites celebrate them.I had to make some research and here is what I discovered.

Halloween is a holiday celebrated on the night of October 31. The word Halloween is a shortening of All Hallows’ Evening also known as Hallowe’en or All Hallows’ Eve.

Traditional activities include trick-or-treating, bonfires, costume parties, visiting “haunted houses” and carving jack-o-lanterns. Irish and Scottish immigrants carried versions of the tradition to North America in the nineteenth century. Other western countries embraced the holiday in the late twentieth century including Ireland, the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and the United Kingdom as well as of Australia and New Zealand.

Halloween has its origins in the ancient Celtic festival known as Samhain (pronounced “sah-win”).
The festival of Samhain is a celebration of the end of the harvest season in Gaelic culture. Samhain was a time used by the ancient pagans to take stock of supplies and prepare for winter. The ancient Gaels believed that on October 31, the boundaries between the worlds of the living and the dead overlapped and the deceased would come back to life and cause havoc such as sickness or damaged crops.

The festival would frequently involve bonfires. It is believed that the fires attracted insects to the area which attracted bats to the area. These are additional attributes of the history of Halloween (sourcehttp://www.halloweenhistory.org)
Clearly, it is a celebration of the western world and purely based on fiction. So can someone in the house pls answer my question why Nigerians carry the thing for head. Some new churches even sometimes ask their members to dress in special way undecided
Re: What's The Halloween Fuzz/buzz About by fromnigeria(m): 2:35pm On Nov 01, 2015
Low Level Insurgency. Thats what they are suffering from.

(1) (Reply)

Troops Kill 30 Boko Haram Terrorists, Rescue 338 Persons At Sambisa Forest / EFCC Moves Against Diezani's Associates, Seizes Cars, Cash, Jewellery / [UPDATED] : Senate Acting Clerk, Adedotun Durojaiye Dies, Saraki Mourns Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.