Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,511 members, 7,808,867 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:20 PM

4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed (33321 Views)

7 Costly Mistakes On CV That Leave Graduates Unemployed / Why Most Nigerian Youths Will Remain Unemployed / N-Power Teacher Corps: FG Begins Recruitment Of 500k Unemployed Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by kinibigdeal(m): 7:44pm On Nov 01, 2015
1.    Lack Of Professional Connections

2.    Lack Of Talent Identification

3.    Lack Of Experience

4.    Graduates Are Too Choosy About Their Jobs

http://www.assignmentlabs.co.uk/blog/4-costly-mistakes-that-cause-fresh-graduates-a-run-of-unemployment/

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by pendusky(m): 7:47pm On Nov 01, 2015
If there is no "Lack of Jobs in the country" in ur list then its incomplete...matchew

88 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by chymystique(f): 7:50pm On Nov 01, 2015
So Op, you telling us if we do all these you stated as solution we will all ve jobs... I Think the problem is Few White collar Job opportunites compared with the number of graduates churned out every year by different higher institutions... and Nigerian economy/govt aint helping matters

24 Likes

Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by dominique(f): 7:56pm On Nov 01, 2015
scratch out number 3. We all had 'lack of experience' at some point.

In my own opinion, the major reason why most graduate don't get easily employed is their poor communication skills especially in the written form. You read an application presented by a 'graduate' and you'll almost weep for him/her.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by kinibigdeal(m): 7:58pm On Nov 01, 2015
chymystique:
After writing out the costly mistakes, expected you to give a solution to it and I saw none... undecided

Kindly read through again, each outlines carries its own solution within

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by kinibigdeal(m): 8:00pm On Nov 01, 2015
dominique:
scratch out number 3. We all had 'lack of experience' at some point.

In my own opinion, the major reason why most graduate don't get easily employed is their poor communication skills especially in the written form. You read an application presented by a 'graduate' and you'll almost weep for him/her.

Kindly read through point 3 again
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by kinibigdeal(m): 8:03pm On Nov 01, 2015
pendusky:
If there is no "Lack of Jobs in the country" in ur list then its incomplete...matchew

Adding "no job" is a form of discouragement. There are jobs, but the few jobs available are for "extra-ordinary" graduates that can add values to the few firm and not take from it
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by XaintJoel20: 8:04pm On Nov 01, 2015
The problem of unemployment still remains that there are very few jobs being chased by too many qualified graduate...
I strongly advise Nigerian graduates not to be soon dependent on their certificate, rather they should look at other directions like learning a skill or learning how to trade even after graduation. I toiled this path I have no regret...

3 Likes

Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by kinibigdeal(m): 8:06pm On Nov 01, 2015
XaintJoel20:
The problem of unemployment still remains that there are very few jobs being chased by too many qualified graduate...
I strongly advise Nigerian graduates not to be soon dependent on their certificate, rather they should look at other directions like learning a skill or learning how to trade even after graduation. I toiled this path I have no regret...

On point bro! Option 3 talks about that too.
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by ambassadorgozie(m): 10:28pm On Nov 01, 2015
Tired of hearing d same story.

Abeg tell ur baba buhari to create jobs for youth
NONSENSE

3 Likes

Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by ambassadorgozie(m): 10:29pm On Nov 01, 2015
pendusky:

My man pendusky... I see ya
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by macaranta(m): 10:33pm On Nov 01, 2015
Nice list...but the reality on ground is different.

1 Like

Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by timmyblast(m): 10:41pm On Nov 01, 2015
How do u guys come about all this list. If u finish eating to bowl of eba, then u start pasting list upon list.

11 Likes

Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by EzePromoe: 5:04am On Nov 02, 2015
The average Nigerian graduate is lazy and delusional. It's unfortunate that while still in the university, the groom themselves for white collar jobs such that they would reject any offer to go dirty with works because they are 'B.Sc holders'. It pains me that even the so called engineering students will channel all their attentions towards maintaining a high G.P so that they can use them in hunting for jobs. Noone is talking innovation and creativity, all leaving in dreamland to work in Shell.

8 Likes

Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by Joeace3000(m): 9:31am On Nov 02, 2015
Nigerian graduates are lazy simple. All they do is send CV's. Even when we have created a program for them to earn online, some join in, open an account and go relax hoping for millions of dollars to pour in. I think something is dumbing our youths and chaining them down to a life of poverty and lack of desire to amount to anything worthwhile in life.

Meanwhile for those people who have no jobs, are tired of switching jobs or have no skill at all and want to develop skills that can fetch them money today, here is my Nairaland thread (Brought to you by brilliantlightsmedia) where you can come in to learn how to join fiverr and offfer Hot, In-demand Services as well as developing the skills needed not only to make money monthly working online on fiverr but offline as a workplace skill you can start a business with or use to boost your resume and job chances. Ain't that cool?

The thread is a well explained step by step guide along with images to help you grasp what you need to do. to help you get started today

There are very easy ways of making it through the internet, you just have to find the safest and surest way, and this one beckons. follow me now...

The Nairaland Fiverr Free Training Thread
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by dominique(f): 10:22am On Nov 02, 2015
kinibigdeal:

Kindly read through point 3 again

Yes I read it again but is it the graduates faults that they do not have sufficient experience for a job role? For most employers, the 3-6 months of industrial training doesn't count as much on the applicant's resumé.
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by kinibigdeal(m): 10:24am On Nov 02, 2015
dominique:

Yes I read it again but is it the graduates faults that they do not have sufficient experience for a job role? For most employers, the 3-6 months of industrial training doesn't count as much on the applicant's resumé.

I quite agree with you but it helps
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by damton(m): 10:47am On Nov 02, 2015
y
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by Aminat508(f): 10:47am On Nov 02, 2015
Kinibigdeal undecided
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by Deardeals: 10:47am On Nov 02, 2015
seen
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by Smartresult(f): 10:47am On Nov 02, 2015
check sasuwa physics tutorial blog you will be surprised
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by Onozboy(m): 10:48am On Nov 02, 2015
Ok seen...
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by Blackberrybabes: 10:48am On Nov 02, 2015
Op you killed it all and highlighted it well

TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY, CAN YOU WISH ME WELL ON MY PROFILE?
https://www.nairaland.com/2704011/see-female-ex-corper-turned-blogger
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by Bollinger(m): 10:49am On Nov 02, 2015
kinibigdeal:

1.    Lack Of Professional Connections

For a fresh graduate, it is not often easier to find valuable contacts to recommend a job or get recommended. This is absolutely okay if you have just passed out of university and searching for employment. But, if it is your tenth attempt for a job and you still have no connections, then you are not taking this issue seriously. A valuable connection not only guides you in right direction but also helps you step into a job easily. Employers are followers of technology. They are in a constant search for a common connection that can fit in a vacant position in his organisation.
Use social sites, such as LinkedIn, to capture attention of industry-specific professionals in order to gain professional mileage. When you are socially visible on these online spheres, you magnify your visibility. Ultimately, you are in reach of a prospective employer who shares common interests with you.

2.    Lack Of Talent Identification

Majority of fresh graduates blindly follow a field without first realising their own potential. Having a degree in ‘marketing’ does not necessarily mean that you cannot pursue a career in film direction. You can definitely do it if you have the passion in visual art and really think you can make a name in this field.
If you are excellent in something, it is meaningless to question its relevancy with your degree. Talent is not measured by degrees and certificates. It is an unquantifiable thing that is beyond parameters of worldly norms. Just take initiative and follow your dream. It is never too late to find your passion. It is just a matter of time and place.

3.    Lack Of Experience
Fresh graduates often do not have any practical experience of work. The lack of experience interrupts their job application and causes a significant delay in their employment.
If you have just passed your graduation and does have any previous experience, it is natural for an employer to not give you priority for a job. However, there are other more important things in your career portfolio that you can make up with your inexperience. As a starter, you can show your previous on-job training programs or internships that you have completed in your trade. You can even demonstrate your specific life experiences that make you perfect candidate for a job, if this is the case.

4.    Graduates Are Too Choosy About Their Jobs
Nowadays, graduates are too choosy about the job they pick. They expect the best salary figure, ideal location, flexible working hours and lenient work environment. When graduates demand so much perks and benefits, they end up losing an opportunity that could benefit them in the long run. Ultimately, they deprive themselves of the larger benefits that they could have availed in terms of professional exposure and career profile.
When you land a job interview, consider it as an opportunity to streamline your career success. Do not think about that mundane ‘zeros’ in salary or the trivial benefits. At this stage of your career, you should focus more on skills and professional experience that you can gain from an opportunity. Look into the professional values that an organisation has to offer you rather than salary package that will not do any good at this stage

http://www.assignmentlabs.co.uk/blog/4-costly-mistakes-that-cause-fresh-graduates-a-run-of-unemployment/

There is only one real point which is "graduates are too choosy about their jobs". The rest does not necessarily guarantee you'll get a job quicker.
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by Orter(m): 10:49am On Nov 02, 2015
You can say it again
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by confamgist237: 10:50am On Nov 02, 2015
undecided undecided undecided
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by aspirebig: 10:51am On Nov 02, 2015
Ok

I know many young graduates that are very choosy, that opportunity goes while people that got the job keep gaining experience and they change jobs after a while. Talk the job and keep searching for a better opening. Even people with the connection, it is not always easy to land a dream job.
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by kinibigdeal(m): 10:51am On Nov 02, 2015
Bollinger:

There is only one real point which is "graduates are too choosy about their jobs". The rest does not necessarily guarantee you'll get a job quicker.

Every highlighted points are very important
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by Nobody: 10:52am On Nov 02, 2015
Choosy?
I don't want to see the graduate who will settle for less after
the acquired experience.
Would you jump at a job paying 40k monthly just because of being employed?
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by kinibigdeal(m): 10:53am On Nov 02, 2015
Aminat508:
Kinibigdeal undecided
angry
cool
Re: 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed by BUSHHUNTER: 10:53am On Nov 02, 2015
Shlt! Where is even d guddamn job! Can't see any....dude!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired / Some Tough Interview Questions And Their Answers / Ideas About PZ Cussons Aptitude Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.