Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,043 members, 7,799,534 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:09 AM

NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta (23131 Views)

NPC End Of The Year Thanksgiving Cypher. / NCPC Season 2: Weno & TheScrypt Emerge Winners Of The Renga Fiesta.... / The Roast: An NPC Initiative. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by llaykorn: 2:36pm On Nov 02, 2015
Introduction:

The Nairaland Poetry Club
is here again with it's second edition of the Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition: a challenge created to keep this part of the literature section alive, and to promote team work among Nairaland poets. This year's is a slightly upgraded version of last year's (where the duo of Royver and Krystalxx proved themselves to be the best competitors) as all our finalists will be made to write rengas, hence earning this season of the contest it's alternate name: The Renga Fiesta.

Guidelines:

1. Two poets shall be paired randomly to write together and submit a single poem of any theme.

2. The poem may be submitted by either of the poets,
provided that every verse/stanza written shall have the
name of the poet who wrote the verse at the top of it.

3. The competition shall be of two rounds. All genres and styles of poetry of a maximum of 60 lines shall be accepted in the first round. All poems exceeding 60 lines shall not be accepted

4. At the end of the first round, fourteen (14) of the best poets (7 pairs) shall proceed to the next stage where rengas will be submitted. The winning pair of poets will emerge from these seven (7).

5. Our impeccable judges shall follow the outline below to
grade all submitted poems in the first round:

i. Organization/Structure (20 marks)

ii. Poetic Devices: (20 marks)

iii. Grammatical Accuracy: (20 marks)

iv. Strength Of Mood / Emotional Intensity (20 marks)

v. Analysis (20 marks)

Obtainable Total: 100 marks

- This outline shall be followed to grade all poems in the second round:

i. Compliance To Renga Rules (50 marks)

ii. Grammatical Accuracy (20 marks)

iii. Poetic Devices (20 marks)

iv. Organization/Structure (10 marks)

Obtainable Total: 100 marks

6. Your analysis - preferably brief and concise - should be submitted with the poems.

7. Registration will close on Sunday, the 8th of November and pairings will be done on Sunday, the 8th of November. A total of 5 (five) days will be awarded to the paired poets to work together as the first round submissions will be made on Friday, the 13th of November. Our judges will score the submitted pieces on the Saturday and Sunday, the 14th and 15th of November. The 7 pairs of poets who move on to the next stage will on Monday, the 16th of November be awarded another 5 days to work together and bring their rengas to our judges' table by the end of Friday, the 20th of November. The winning pair of poets will be announced on Sunday, the 22nd of November.

8. Previously published poems, whether electronically or otherwise will not be accepted. All submissions will be checked for plagiarism. Posters of plagiarized or previously published pieces will be disqualified from the competition and banned from Nairaland.

9. Scores by judges for all pairs of contestants will be added together to obtain their total scores for both rounds of the competition.

Eligibility:

1. Be a member of Nairaland.
2. Submit in the comment box a six (6) line poem. That is your entry fee.

Judges:

A team of six (6) accomplished poets and poetry teachers have volunteered their time to put fairness to use in judging the submitted pieces. Three (3) will judge the first round, and the other three (3) will be judges of the second round of the competition.

Prizes:

A sum of 6,000 naira each for the winning pair.
A sum of 4,000 naira each for the runner-ups.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by danbrowndmf(m): 3:04pm On Nov 02, 2015
Feeling hot,then realize nepa jus took the power...
So weak so wouldn't take a shower...
Tryna sleep but my heart keep beating faster...
And my brain wouldn't stop to think faster...
I think about how much have missed my sister....
All those moment we both spend together...

Am in for this Mr llaykron..

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 3:14pm On Nov 02, 2015
Fear the walking dead
The army of living corpses
Flesh is their daily bread
Blood is their currency
Tis the end of civilization
The earth is now red

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by timpaker(m): 3:15pm On Nov 02, 2015
Ghen ghen!!!
Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by emaculate99: 3:17pm On Nov 02, 2015
Silence speaks louder than noise
Odour smells faster than scent
Clock cannot be referred to as time
And liquid is not always water
But I know in my heart
I am who I am

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by joseph1832(m): 3:30pm On Nov 02, 2015
timpaker:
Ghen ghen!!!
Action film won start oh!.

2 Likes

Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by timpaker(m): 3:33pm On Nov 02, 2015
Walahi! This one is gonna be tha bomb i swear...

FRONTPAGE PLEASE!!!

cc: Lalasticlala
Mynd_44
Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by funlord(m): 5:17pm On Nov 02, 2015
angry

TIMES UP;

Surely, I felt the pangs of an old mans guilt,

My world surely now on its final tilt,

My parents weeping, my kids in pain,

My thoughts bloody, my fears reign,

I peek into the shadows, the reaper lurks,

He then whispered to me while hiding a smirk!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by JigsawKillah(m): 5:36pm On Nov 02, 2015
Laveda and I strolled along the beach
Romantic was the air and soil beneath
We talked secrets, not one we missed
Then we hugged, touched and kissed
Got näked, had sex, cloud 20 it seems
Then I woke up! It was just a dream

12 Likes

Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 5:37pm On Nov 02, 2015
funlord:
angry

THE CHASM;

Out of the blue, suddenly a cursed meteor of doom crashes

All you see is confusion, debris, smoke and ashes

Dear lord, please save the children till this unknown tragedy passes

Lord who? Hater or ho? Merciless to all no matter the gender

Never been the type to consider amnesty, nor retreat or surrender

Just always prepared to deliver savagery once I decide to deal with offenders

Come from a place where death is never pretend

But rather looked upon as some sort of perfect blend

Ensuring cursed souls are never safe once this lord descends!

I'm from a nation where men are forged from steel and fire

Flawless, looming figure, my mere presence inspires

Supremely gifted right from the cradle until the day I decide to retire!

I possess an on the lam cowboys mentality

In addition to a gory and blood soaked morality

Also a firm protagonist of the scorched earth policy!

An artist spawned by the purest forces of organised religion

Who was born without a conscience but with an iron conviction

Renowned for typo-eloquence and apex levels of diction!

So be on the lookout for some of my many metaphysical clues

Maybe today, take a peek Into exodus 23: 22

In 1 of the many versions of ancient scriptures in which I foretold you

About the sort of deity that I am and what I intend to do!

undecided

6 lines!! They said 6 lines but you are here dropping 1000 bars like a possessed rapper.

Great poem though grin grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by funlord(m): 5:46pm On Nov 02, 2015
wink
AllNaijaBlogger:

undecided

6 lines!! They said 6 lines but you are here dropping 1000 bars like a possessed rapper.

Great poem though grin grin

My bad! Although I never follow rules anyway so no harm no foul!

I just saw the thread and the inspiration from my keyboard did the rest! Maybe they should just ban me again cause I'll never change! Lol

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by texanomaly(f): 5:49pm On Nov 02, 2015
Great start. Can't wait!
Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 5:51pm On Nov 02, 2015
funlord:
wink

I just saw the thread and the inspiration from my keyboard did the rest! Maybe they should just ban me again cause I'll never change! Lol

No worries bro.

Your poem is great. I wish I could write long poems. I usually write about 15 lines and give up
Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by texanomaly(f): 5:52pm On Nov 02, 2015
funlord:
wink

If you would like to enter and participate, please attempt to follow the rules. It is not fair to others who do follow them if we allow it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by Laveda(f): 6:49pm On Nov 02, 2015
JIGSAWKILLAH

I want to feel the softness of your tongue against mine
And our mouths sealed together as our legs interwine
I want to feel you slide into me hard and warm
And my heart tighten as the next moan forms
I just want to rip off your clothes
I'm overwhelmed

11 Likes 6 Shares

Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by Laveda(f): 6:50pm On Nov 02, 2015
Llaykorn I don't think I'm strong enough for this grin
Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 02, 2015
Llaykorn, would there be stipends for the winner?
Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by llaykorn: 7:15pm On Nov 02, 2015
Reyginus:
Llaykorn, would there be stipends for the winner?

Yes, definitely. Please re-read the original post.
Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by llaykorn: 7:16pm On Nov 02, 2015
Laveda:
Llaykorn I don't think I'm strong enough for this grin

You're already in it. tongue
Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by Laveda(f): 7:28pm On Nov 02, 2015
JigsawKillah:
Jigs, Fantasy? grin
Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by Laveda(f): 7:29pm On Nov 02, 2015
llaykorn:

You're already in it. tongue
Just replying jigs. . I prefer watching tongue

1 Like

Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by llaykorn: 7:32pm On Nov 02, 2015
Laveda:
Just replying jigs. . I prefer watching tongue

It's okay, but you derailed our thread. undecided
Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by Laveda(f): 7:34pm On Nov 02, 2015
llaykorn:

It's okay, but you derailed our thread. undecided
I'm sorry embarassed
Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by Nobody: 7:42pm On Nov 02, 2015
llaykorn:

Yes, definitely. Please re-read the original post.
Okay. How does the pairing work? Randomly or you choose?
Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by llaykorn: 7:54pm On Nov 02, 2015
Reyginus:
Okay. How does the pairing work? Randomly or you choose?

Randomly paired sir. smiley
Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by Nobody: 7:56pm On Nov 02, 2015
llaykorn:

Randomly paired sir. smiley
Lol. Okay.
Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by Nobody: 8:11pm On Nov 02, 2015
How on earth can they not see
The pains and tears buried so deep
The nights and times we cannot eat
Our moulds and faces, very lean
Do they think we'll never notice
The smiles with which they stole our peace...?

embarassed grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by joseph1832(m): 10:19pm On Nov 02, 2015
texanomaly:

Great start. Can't wait!
Howdy Tex? How has life been treating you? grin
Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by joseph1832(m): 10:34pm On Nov 02, 2015
JigsawKillah:

Laveda:

I want to feel the softness of your tongue against mine
And our mouths sealed together as our legs interwine
I want to feel you slide into me hard and warm
And my heart tighten as the next moan forms
I just want to rip off your clothes
I'm overwhelmed
Hmm, Not bad, not bad at all. I bet you and Jigs were having a field day daydreaming. LOL.
Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by JigsawKillah(m): 10:37pm On Nov 02, 2015
joseph1832:

Hmm, Not bad, not bad at all. I bet you and Jigs were having a field day daydreaming. LOL.

lol we're learners in this aspect when compared to those like you
Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by ladyF(f): 10:43pm On Nov 02, 2015
Interesting......LadyF will be observing.

As I dey here dey observe
Na on top my mat I dey
in this cold weather for 2
I just dey reason how this week go be
make Friday come sharp sharp make I go flex
life is too short to be unhappy

lol I hope I make next round. grin

#My#Opinion grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta by 69MissedCalls(m): 10:43pm On Nov 02, 2015
students, pay attention
to this is important information
for perfection in examinations
students in the nation
need determination
in order to achieve promotion

u dey feel me ba? grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Rhymes / The Last Monkey In Idanre / What If I Am A Black Woman?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.