Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,809 members, 7,806,271 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:47 PM

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? - NYSC (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? (18533 Views)

Federal Government Denies Scrapping NYSC Scheme / Nysc: Compulsory, Voluntary Or Scrapped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Ahmedhussain3463: 5:36pm On Nov 03, 2015
It shuld b speedily scrap becos d primary objective of d program av been defeated|people dt r hale still serve in their state of origin|
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by johnydon22(m): 5:44pm On Nov 03, 2015
OgundeleT:
if u see what we are undergoing presently in Awgu camp in Enugu state you will know NYSC suppose to be scrapped... No water, no good toilet, everything just dey expensive for mammy market

still expecting your call bro
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by TITOBIGZ(m): 5:47pm On Nov 03, 2015
Timbuktu14:
Scrap the goddamn thing! angry
Haba,God's last name no be DAMN Oo.cry
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Timbuktu14(m): 5:48pm On Nov 03, 2015
TITOBIGZ:

Haba,God's last name no be DAMN Oo.cry
cheesy cheesy
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by scofieldsimba(m): 5:52pm On Nov 03, 2015
airsaylongcon:

You obviously haven't served! Do you know how many secondary schools rely on Corp members as teaching staff?
Wrong!

I served over 10 years ago..

It was purely a waste of time and goverment resources..
Government should employ teachers and not rely on corps members..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by 0taPiaPia(m): 6:31pm On Nov 03, 2015
bushdoc9919:
No....keep it...for the reason that without NNPC.... NYSC

1.Many village schools won't have teachers.

2.Many village hospitals would not have medical personnel

3.Many Nigerian youth would be unemployed.

4.People won't learn how to get out of their comfort zone...and adapt to new environment.

i rule point 4 out of order.... redeployment is d other of the day for those that have what it takes....
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by ayo2pec(m): 6:32pm On Nov 03, 2015
REFORMED , to a compulsory year , when graduate Serve 6 months learning Trade, 3 months in Military and 3 months in Police

or any other suitable combination.
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by haywire07(m): 6:32pm On Nov 03, 2015
So I shld read all these so that NYSC can be scrapped? Omg!! Wat has d children of nowadays turned nairaland into, can u imagine d big big grammars that writer used . Could this b a copy and paste or a proffesors writeup ?..jst kidding..
Nysc-to be continued
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Alexcollins(m): 6:32pm On Nov 03, 2015
Walexsammy:
so many states have already hijacked it. They don employ teachers again, they now use Corp members as there regular teachers, I even no of a skul wia there vice principal is a corp member
Linus. vp a corp member? I doubt dat...
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by teemy(m): 7:01pm On Nov 03, 2015
at the time corpers were earning N9,500 I heard the expenditure on a corper was valued at N1.5 million. Consider that cost now with them earning N20,000. I believe orientatation should include enterprenorial trainings and have the corpers set up a business in their host communities and monitored progress reports done by their inspectors who would also have undergone managerial trainings.

Every host community that wants investments should be willing to play nice to corpers and emploment for their youth would come in. After the one year sevice a successful corper would not be willing to uproot his assets. This covers the intermingling of tribes and financial empowerment all at once. Private business owners also take on themselves social activities like road repair as they consider doing what would aid traffic to their place of business.
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by omitooguns(m): 7:03pm On Nov 03, 2015
sad

all of u shouting scrap either have nt served, will never sever, or when u served, u missed d CORE OBJECTIVES of NYSC.

NYSC, apart from training graduates to Defend of d Nation, is tackling Unemployement Seriously through SAED...Skill Acquisition and Entreprenuership Development Programme....Trainers come everyday immediately after d swearing in ceremony.

So u all get ur fact right b4 shouting Scrap.

...una need to hear testimonies...

Serving Corp... B'15 wink

NYSC can only b better not scrapped.

1 Like

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Orikinla(m): 7:04pm On Nov 03, 2015
scofieldsimba:

Wrong!

I served over 10 years ago..

It was purely a waste of time and goverment resources..
Government should employ teachers and not rely on corps members..
1000 Likes.
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Orikinla(m): 7:07pm On Nov 03, 2015
MsGlobalwonder:
well, the essence of NYSC is to promote unity and "acculturation" which is already abused. Ideally i'm Yoruba and I wasn't supposed to serve in a SW state, but guess what? I served in my state of Origin! Nothing spectacular. Nothing memorable. I hated it from the camp where nothing works.All I see was waste of resources. For instance, I gathered that the total cost of kit for each corp member is 20,000 naira. You can be rest assured all the kits given were not up to 8000naira. The food, no facilities at all.
Some are claiming impact and teaching, blablabla. How many corpers are actually good teachers? How many even stay in their PPA. I taught in a private school and I felt used! Not financially alone; these schools make so much money, they have at least 100students and each pay 20000 naira. Guess what? They have just 4 teachers and 10corpers. The school specially request for corpers. Corpers are equal to free labour. They pay corpers 5000 and their staff 15000. That includes extra hour lessons. It's ridiculous! I felt used. I would rather have learnt some personal and professional trainings than that. Schools should have teachers either public or private. We shouldn't promote mediocrity! The government should employ teachers. The proprietors too should employ and pay teachers well. If that is in place, graduates will be excited to teach for life.
[size=28pt]
WHAT A SCAM.[/size]
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Tdonks: 8:09pm On Nov 03, 2015
I have come to understand that NYSC for the average youth is with the motive of putting on the uniform and being identified that ''I served too''.

There isn't no special reason and importance of NYSC really. In fact, I have come to see that many of our youth in one way or the other, while in service ''serviced'' some people that is not part of the program. - I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say.

In my own opinion really, is exemptions should be given as evidence that you served if government don't want to scrap it regardless of ages and
After graduation, graduates should be sent on a compulsory training for six months on leadership and development by the government. By this, average

Nigeria youth would know what is right about making things right being a leader and I can assure you that our dear country is set to emerge in ensuring a leadership based country.

God bless Nigeria
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by clans(f): 8:39pm On Nov 03, 2015
omitooguns:
sad

all of u shouting scrap either have nt served, will never sever, or when u served, u missed d CORE OBJECTIVES of NYSC.

NYSC, apart from training graduates to Defend of d Nation, is tackling Unemployement Seriously through SAED...Skill Acquisition and Entreprenuership Development Programme....Trainers come everyday immediately after d swearing in ceremony.

So u all get ur fact right b4 shouting Scrap.

...una need to hear testimonies...

Serving Corp... B'15 wink

NYSC can only b better not scrapped.
Just wait till you leave camp then you know this SAED is a scam, just pray you get posted to wherever you can continue with your SAED
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by OgundeleT(m): 8:54pm On Nov 03, 2015
johnydon22:

still expecting your call bro
Ohhh. I will call u whenever am through in the camp. Beside, I dont think i av ur phone number yet.. Thanx
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by bayodele73(m): 9:48pm On Nov 03, 2015
it's a waste of a year

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by omitooguns(m): 10:13pm On Nov 03, 2015
clans:

Just wait till you leave camp then you know this SAED is a scam, just pray you get posted to wherever you can continue with your SAED

wit wat i av seen and heard here...NYSC SAED is sure...reasons:

1. They Brought Served C'14, and serving A'15 corp members who are already making cool cash tru D programme.

2. The Trainers take their time to teach us...these show that they mean Biz....though not everyone will rise up tru NYSC SAED programme.
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Walexsammy(m): 11:05pm On Nov 03, 2015
Alexcollins:
Linus. vp a corp member? I doubt dat...
ain't saying it to convince u bro...nah...far from it. Buh if uve been to some core north, u'll understand
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by lorelle(f): 2:44am On Nov 04, 2015
SCRAPPED.......IT IS A WASTE OF TIME
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by DBounty(m): 4:14am On Nov 04, 2015
Firstly,u ceated an impression not to b biased but ended up on a biased note.Anyway, my opinion is that NYSC shd b modified and not scrapped. Why? Because it has and will continue to achieve integration,interaction,and support. How? Thru language,marriage,culture,religion,etc understanding,acceptance and tolerance.Also, d billions spend and d time taken are are seriously needed to sustain and maintain d d hundreds of many half -baked graduates in d country.As for corruption in NYSC,it begins right from primary school-Teachers inclusive.
Thanks.
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by kazman117: 5:00am On Nov 04, 2015
agrovick:

Are you listening to them? The same set of people screaming scrap it are those who
1) are first to grumble when the allowee doesn't enter on time
2) Do not stay in their various ppa
There is no doubt the scheme has it's own benefits and of course it's demerits. Because of the scheme I'm being forced to re-read in order to teach my students and all I can say is it's a building up process. Do I need to mention the opportunity of learning new languages and experiencing the cultures of other people and of course experience the feeling of working for your own money. I'm a proponent of reforming the scheme
God bless broda
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Nobody: 6:21am On Nov 04, 2015
Female floral sneakers. Size:37. Free delivery in Lagos

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Nobody: 6:21am On Nov 04, 2015
Female floral sneakers. Size:37. Free delivery in Lagos

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Dapsin2901: 9:14am On Nov 04, 2015
it should be reformed and not scrapped I cant forget my NYSC days in enugu
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by cyberknoz(m): 11:32am On Nov 04, 2015
it should be reformed....ah don't see any reason why it should be scrapped because its a 1year fin after all so they should carry on with the scheme but make necessary changes thats all i can say.
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Lizzi78(f): 11:14am On Nov 05, 2015
agrovick:

Smh, selfish somebory. That's when you are most likely to be mobilized right?
yeap
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by mercyike: 12:42pm On Nov 05, 2015
@divinehand,u r absolutly rite i tink ders a rconsidratn because NYSC has introducd an Entrepre. Scheme.
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by incredu: 10:08am On Nov 06, 2015
Always live life in stages. Understanding the times and seasons!
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by incredu: 10:21am On Nov 06, 2015
First... I absolutely enjoyed my youth service. I served in a village as a secondary school in the North... started a business, helped my students, integrated into their society, swam in the stream, climbed their hills, made friends from all tribes, learnt some new skills, did some community devt programmes with other Corpers. NYSC served its purpose for me.

I was young, in my early 20's, with the whole world ahead of me. All the money and good jobs in front. This was all about service and adventure.

I still talk with and help out my students. Not a strand of regret!

A Prof once told me that we as a people need to learn to take small steps, instead of trying to get one big swoop. NYSC gets better every year. Allowee has even increased. Camp now includes Skills Acquisition.

My advice to people going for NYSC usually is "you are young; enjoy the moment; be philanthropic; u hv all the money to make in front after that".
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Listic1: 8:37am On Dec 30, 2015
DBounty:
Firstly,u ceated an impression not to b biased but ended up on a biased note.Anyway, my opinion is that NYSC shd b modified and not scrapped. Why? Because it has and will continue to achieve integration,interaction,and support. How? Thru language,marriage,culture,religion,etc understanding,acceptance and tolerance.Also, d billions spend and d time taken are are seriously needed to sustain and maintain d d hundreds of many half -baked graduates in d country.As for corruption in NYSC,it begins right from primary school-Teachers inclusive.
Thanks.

Please, how did I end on a biased note? I had to take a position one way or another. I couldn't have possibly concluded the article in an open ended way.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Female Corper Donates Borehole To Akwa Ibom Community (Photo) / Read Ise L’ogun Ise: Classic Yoruba Poem By J.F. Odunjo With English Translation / Relocating To Abuja For My Nysc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.