Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,368 members, 7,800,739 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:55 AM

Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother (4711 Views)

Please Guys Vote For Ur Brother. / Amaka, Oyinda & Fl Gators Vying For C2h5oh & Na2day / Hehehehe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by ThisLife1: 11:19am On May 11, 2009
recently relocate to Florida,,and am liking it guys,,,but mennnn,,I am missing Garri,amala,egwusi soup etc,,,,please anybody have an idea where I can butyNaija foods here in Tampa Florida??
I have been here since January 2009,,everything is fine with me here except for the food,,Abeg guys help me b4 yawa go gas ooo!
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by MrCrackles(m): 11:24am On May 11, 2009
Why dont you just move in with Fl-Gators?
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by blacksta(m): 12:53pm On May 11, 2009
Above you is Atlanta Georgia - which has a large community of Nigerians .- you will need to do a 2 to 3 hour one way journey from Florida probably monthly to stock up on your African requirements.   

Or

you could just stick to your taco's
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by ThisLife1: 2:31am On May 12, 2009
Fl Gators,,please where are you now? Help your fellow bro ooo,,,all I need is if you have an idea of any store with African foods like Garri etc,,,
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by ThisLife1: 2:34am On May 12, 2009
blacksta:

Above you is Atlanta Georgia - which has a large community of Nigerians .- you will need to do a 2 to 3 hour one way journey from Florida probably monthly to stock up on your African requirements.

Or

you could just stick to your taco's
Don't say what you don't know,Driving through I75 from Tampa to Georgia is a Minimum of 4hrs and that would take you a minium of 8hrs to and fro.Nevertheless what I want is something close by.Thanks for ur concern
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by OgidiBoy(m): 2:37am On May 12, 2009
Where is Toyin?
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by tpiah: 2:51am On May 12, 2009
Try shopping at the Spanish stores, in the meantime. A lot of them have African foods like yams, pepper, some form of powdered flour you can make fufu with, etc. You'll be surprised how many African foods you can find in a Hispanic store.

If you're hungry for things like pounded yam- you can also substitute with thick mashed potato.

Just buy the packaged potato flakes at any store, add water, stir and microwave or cook on the stove if you prefer.  Then turn as if you're making eba. My mom loves this and often has it instead of poundo yam.

Most grocery stores sell okro and veggies. Turnip greens are ok. So are mustard greens and kale. You'll also find spinach.

With all that and some meat for stew, you should be good to go until you find an African store.

for garri, amala and egusi, you could search for African stores online. I couldnt find any, actually. But check your yellow pages- you may find some listings there.
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by tpiah: 2:56am On May 12, 2009
found this one in Australia

http://dfhunny.com/products

here's another based in Georgia

http://www.shebafoods.com/detail.aspx?ID=14

I'm not affiliated with any of these stores though.

Just posting while you're waiting for Fl Gators.
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by ThisLife1: 2:58am On May 12, 2009
tpiah : God bless you Tpiah,I have already visited the mexican stores around here,yes I found yam and even cocoa yam,I also make vegetable soup using spinach and shrimps,,and thats what I use in eating my yams,,but you know how okro and garri(eba) they flow.Thats what am missing now.I had said earlier on that Okro is available here and just needed to get garri,,sometimes even for drinking purpose with coconut.
In spanish shop too they have coconut but person need to use garri with sugar settle that one down.Thanks again my guy.
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by Sissy3(f): 3:05am On May 12, 2009
shoulda posted this in some other sections, like GD, or family. my sis ebony dnt do politics so it will prolly take longer 4 her to see it undecided
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by tpiah: 3:07am On May 12, 2009
This Life:

tpiah : God bless you Tpiah,I have already visited the mexican stores around here,yes I found yam and even cocoa yam,I also make vegetable soup using spinach and shrimps,,and thats what I use in eating my yams,,but you know how okro and garri(eba) they flow.Thats what am missing now.I had said earlier on that Okro is available here and just needed to get garri,,sometimes even for drinking purpose with coconut.
In spanish shop too they have coconut but person need to use garri with sugar settle that one down.Thanks again my guy.

you're quite welcome.

I was reading somewhere that you can substitute pumpkin seeds for melon (egusi) but I havent tried that personally.

Dont know how long you've been in the US but if you try Jamaican stores/restaurants, their food can make you forget home. wink

Cajun cooking isnt too bad either.

~Sissy~:

shoulda posted this in some other sections, like GD, or family. my sis ebony dnt do politics so it will prolly take longer 4 her to see it undecided

true.

Or culture.
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by ThisLife1: 3:10am On May 12, 2009
~Sissy~:

make I try that again my sister,I hope say some bad belle people no go come dey mis yarn say I dey disturb dem with my stress.Thanks again, it would be in the family section right away.
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by bawomolo(m): 3:14am On May 12, 2009
go track down toyin in the romance section. na where her shop dey cheesy
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by ThisLife1: 3:28am On May 12, 2009
tpiah:

found this one in Australia

http://dfhunny.com/products
here's another based in Georgia

http://www.shebafoods.com/detail.aspx?ID=14
I'm not affiliated with any of these stores though.
Just posting while you're waiting for Fl Gators.
Infact you are very nice guy(Nigerian) I will make do with the shebafoods incase FL Gator does'nt show up,,I will let you know How it all went.Thanks again for being your brother keepers.For all the haters try and be nice cos you might not know how serious someone is in need b4 ur careless rantings.
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by FLGators1: 3:47am On May 12, 2009
@tpiah
Thanks for the info smiley

@Poster
I don't live in Tampa, so I can't help you with a specific Nigerian store location.

As tpiah said, try shopping at those Spanish/Jamaican/ Haitian stores.
They sell similar Nigerian foods, if not, something as a substitute.

Try stores such as "Sedanos" and "Alberto" etc.

@bawomolo
Ori e bo ri gbeske.

Why don't you come and kidnap me from there cool cool
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by FLGators1: 3:48am On May 12, 2009
@poster

And if you don't mind taking a few hours, like 2hrs, drive from Tampa. . . .I can give you store locations from Miami, Pembroke Pines and Hollywood.

Just two hours drive
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by na2day2(m): 4:23am On May 12, 2009
FL Gators!:

@poster

And if you don't mind taking a few hours, like 2hrs, drive from Tampa. . . .I can give you store locations from Miami, Pembroke Pines and Hollywood.

Just two hours drive

2hrs for eba? it is not that serious ooo
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by yicob(m): 5:44am On May 12, 2009
@ Gator, give him your fone numbre and house address because he doesnt know how to cook naija delicacies.
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by biina: 6:01am On May 12, 2009
yicob:

@ Gator, give him your fone numbre and house address because he doesnt know how to cook naija delicacies.
shocked shocked shocked
are you suggesting that she cooks for him like his wife, and he just drops in every weekend for eat-in and take-out?  shocked shocked shocked
dat requires my guy to dey drop better pepper every week for grocery shopping o!
wetin my sister go dey get in return nah? haba, particularly for dis kain rainy season.
me no like say d thin dey sound like arrangee' marriage o! shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin

I think am again, , paro lo! carry go jare!! nothin do u!!! grin grin grin
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by yicob(m): 7:28am On May 12, 2009
Gator can volunteer to teach him culinary skills every weekend. Imagine the guy seeking for Gator in every section. There is more to this than looking for a place to buy african.
Guy, tell us whats on ur mind.
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by biina: 8:17am On May 12, 2009
yicob:

Gator can volunteer to teach him culinary skills every weekend. Imagine the guy seeking for Gator in every section. There is more to this than looking for a place to buy african.
Guy, tell us whats in ur mind.
motion second!

@This Life
ol boy come clean as e be like say u get hidden agenda
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by IFELEKE(m): 8:50am On May 12, 2009
biina:

@This Life
ol boy come clean as e be like say u get hidden agenda
Me think he's got other places to service aside his stomach wink grin
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by ThisLife1: 12:27pm On May 12, 2009
@Gator: My dearest sister God bless you! At last I found you.I am so glad you responded,,please I will prefer the store at Hollywood cos that is more closer to me,but you can also let me have the one at miami too.Please let me have here on this thread because some bad belle people don start dey yarn garbage.
Please I will appreciate if you let me have on or b4 its weekend so I go get some stuff.Once again God bless you.
@biina & co, biina am surprise you are making comments like this,I have been going thruough your comments on this forum and I would say you are one of the few people that makes very intelligent contributions each time.But just so surprise you attacking me here.I hope you re only just trying to be funny? Nevertheless, there is virtually nothing attached somebody recommended that I should go after FL Gator and that she would be in a position to help me out and that was why I to be running after everywhere on this Forum.
I no know say I go fit dey miss our food like this oooo!
I beg my sister FL Gator don't listen to these guys oo,just help your feloow brother.Thanks and Gpd bless you.
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by bluespice(f): 12:53pm On May 12, 2009
shouldnt this be in foods section?
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by FLGators1: 11:05pm On May 12, 2009
@This life

LOL, it's okay.
Don't mind them, they're just joking wink wink

Ok, I'll make a few phone calls to get the address, will get back to you.

@IFELEKE
Tin ba mu e angry tongue tongue

How you dey jare?
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by bawomolo(m): 12:05am On May 13, 2009
Ok, I'll make a few phone calls to get the address, will get back to you.

na wa o. this is how far you would go to find husband. putting love portion in their food. chei
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by FLGators1: 12:11am On May 13, 2009
na wa o. this is how far you would go to find husband. putting love portion in their food. chei
rotflmao. . . .

Any problem with that? cool cool
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by biina: 12:11am On May 13, 2009
This Life:

@biina & co, biina am surprise you are making comments like this,I have been going thruough your comments on this forum and I would say you are one of the few people that makes very intelligent contributions each time.But just so surprise you attacking me here.I hope you re only just trying to be funny? Nevertheless, there is virtually nothing attached somebody recommended that I should go after FL Gator and that she would be in a position to help me out and that was why I to be running after everywhere on this Forum.
I no know say I go fit dey miss our food like this oooo!
I beg my sister FL Gator don't listen to these guys oo,just help your feloow brother.Thanks and Gpd bless you.
Ol' boy, no vex o, na ur side I dey. I just dey try help u say d thin wey u never say.
I know say bachelor life no easy for yankee, na im make I dey try see if una go fit get better arrangement.
Shoe get size. u no fit compare ur cooking to d one wey my sista go configure.
Abi u don get won aparo wey dey giv u sandwich chop e?
If my sista gree, u better fall in. person no dey run from better thin jare.  grin
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by FLGators1: 12:12am On May 13, 2009
@binna

Stop causing wahala for here grin

Dude was just asking for a place to buy naija food. It's kinda hard to find Nigerians up here you know tongue tongue
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by biina: 12:15am On May 13, 2009
FL Gators!:

@binna

Stop causing wahala for here grin

Dude was just asking for a place to buy naija food. It's kinda hard to find Nigerians up here you know tongue tongue
me? cause wahala ke? lai lai! all na for d glory of God grin
At least make my guy drive down make u show am the store in person grin
im fit no sabi price thin for market grin
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by chiogo(f): 12:15am On May 13, 2009
na2day?:

2hrs for eba? it is not that serious ooo
LMFAO!!!!! the poster sounds serious though.

@topic, I don't know about FL. I know some in Boston. But yeah, spanish/haitian/jamaican stores sell African foods.
Re: Strictly For Fl Gators,please Help Ur Brother by FLGators1: 12:17am On May 13, 2009
@biina
me? cause wahala ke? lai lai! all na for d glory of God Grin
At least make my guy drive down make u show am the store in person Grin
im fit no sabi price thin for market
LOL. . . .Can't show him the store anywaz. I don't live around there anymore.

rotflmao. . . .you guys are mean grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Prince Onyeka Eze Receives Euro-knowledge Awards In London / Your Most Traumatising Experience? / Why Are Born Again People So Wicked?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.