Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,718 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:58 PM

Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People (54803 Views)

30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups / List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:34am On Nov 05, 2015
IGBOPRINCE:
ok na only the language of igbo them dey speak abi?

Na ask I ask o?
they speak ibani and not igbo

1 Like

Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by Nobody: 7:53am On Nov 05, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Obiagu1:
http://www.riversstate.gov.ng/item/1117-chairmen-set-to-develop-ibani-language-curriculum.html

He opined that what it takes to preserve a language include
to teach it in schools, printing appropriate literature books,
and promoting its use publicly and privately.

In his lecture, Amasenibo Eric G. Jumbo listed out the
current threat to Ibani Language which include Commerce
and Christian Religion.

Also speaking, Warisenibo Abinye Morgan Ogolo,
challenged the people of Bonny and Opobo Kingdoms to
make concerted efforts to stop speaking Ibo language.

This will help to rediscover Ibani Language so that it will
take its rightful place despite the damage it has suffered
over the years.

The Chairman of Opobo/Nkoro L G A, represented by the
Council Secretary, Mr. Sunny J. Pepple, called on volunteer
experts of the Ibani language to partner with the Council to
revive the language.

1 Like

Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by Nobody: 7:55am On Nov 05, 2015
Deltagiant:
One thing that is constant with the agitation of Ndigbo is the lingual and cultural affinity with a
Deltagiant post=39556050:
One thing that is constant with the agitation of Ndigbo is the lingual and cultural affinity with any community they say it's part of them. I have never seen them go into another language group in Nigera and assert their cultural affinity, even on their closest allies the Ibibios.

Here is a video of KCPP Foundation of Britain on their charity tour of Opobo and its remote areas.

Listen to the language this old illiterate Opoboan is speaking.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO3xLlXf-8M
[img]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO3xLlXf-8M[/img]
ny community they say it's part of them. I have never seen them go into another language group in Nigera and assert their cultural affinity, even on their closest allies the Ibibios.

Here is a video of KCPP Foundation of Britain on their charity tour of Opobo and its remote areas.

Listen to the language this old illiterate Opoboan is speaking.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO3xLlXf-8M
[img]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO3xLlXf-8M[/img]
Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by IGBOPRINCE: 8:52am On Nov 05, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

ok all the bonny dey speak ibani abi all the opobo and bonny dey speak ibani no igbo at all?
Abeg I want dey clear.
Tanx
Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by fratermathy(m): 8:53am On Nov 05, 2015
HopeAtHand:

The Op is already biased..He created a thread sometime and referred to Ikwerre as Igbo, even we tried to correct him, he didnt seem to bother..it is safe to say he has lumped us together.

Not that i cared what this op writes, its his thread, but his ignorance may land him in trouble in PH.

Nothing takes me to PH except going THROUGH it for at most 45mins. cheesy

As for all your insults to me, I say SHALOM!

If you want to document Ikwerre, don't be bitter about me. You are free to write about them or post pictures here. Don't worry I'd do you the favour of documenting YOUR PEOPLE in my next thread. I'd mention you once I'm done.
Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by bigfrancis21: 8:54am On Nov 05, 2015
nextdoor84:
Why is it that the ikwerre people are not always represented in things like this....abii dem no get culture nii?? Abii dem be artificial people wey Naija created. . grin grin grin grin grin

Wene su badu, eli ikwerre mara mma. Ikwerre meka nu! cheesy
Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by bigfrancis21: 8:55am On Nov 05, 2015
IGBOPRINCE:
ok all the bonny dey speak ibani abi all the opobo and bonny dey speak ibani no igbo at all?
Abeg I want dey clear.
Tanx

Lol. You're asking the wrong person for the truth.

Well, let's see what he has to say. grin

1 Like

Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by bigfrancis21: 8:57am On Nov 05, 2015
Xpaz:

guy stop all this lies.
Dakuku is an ijaw man from ijaw community called Nkorro.
Go figure

You mean Dakuku Peterside? The same person who openly declared himself as an Igbo man descended from King Jaja of Opobo?
Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by HopeAtHand: 9:01am On Nov 05, 2015
fratermathy:

Nothing takes me to PH except going THROUGH it for at most 45mins. cheesy

As for all your insults to me, I say SHALLOM!

If you want to document Ikwerre, don't be bitter about me. You are free to write about them or post pictures here. Don't worry I'd do you the favour of documenting YOUR PEOPLE in my next thread. I'd mention you once I'm done.

I did not see my insult..point it out.

I wanted to post some pictures here but decided against it, afterall, what's the point when your mind is already made up.

And SHALOM to you too.
Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by fratermathy(m): 9:16am On Nov 05, 2015
HopeAtHand:

I did not see my insult..point it out.

I wanted to post some pictures here but decided against it, afterall, what's the point when your mind is already made up.

And SHALOM to you too.

My mind is not made up on anything. You said I am biased. I take offence to that.

I acknowledge Ikwerre as a distinct cultural and ethnic group. However, I maintain my grounds that Ikwerre language belongs to the Igbo language clusters. My argument is strictly on the language.

Arguing against this fact is like seeing the Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin and saying God didn't write it.

2 Likes

Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by bummyla(m): 9:21am On Nov 05, 2015
Thank You LORD For Making Me A Nigerian! http://www.bummyla.com
Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by cheruv: 9:30am On Nov 05, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
@OP....
1. Bonny is still occupied by IJAW people.

2. Opobo still remain Ijaw people.

3. We have Opobo son(Kel4soft) on this forum.

Make amends please...
Enyi ga nodu ala.
The OP merely reported things as he saw them...and those things are
1]bonny is an Igbo speaking enclave in ijawland
2]opobo is an Igbo speaking enclave in Obololand(obolos are from the Ibibio/efik cluster).

Stop causing issues where they're none angry
Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by cheruv: 9:43am On Nov 05, 2015
fratermathy:

Exactly. I thought so too. Anyway, I'm aware that the isles were originally inhabited by Ijaws and that's why I treaded carefully and balanced both sides in the edit of the post.
Brother,
In Rivers state there's a coastline called Igwenga and its defined as the seaboard lying btwn the mouth of bonny river in the West and the mouth of Imo river in the East.
The first people to settle here are the Otams who came from present day Abia state. The ijos came later and the two communities coexisted together till the advent of the slave trade.the trade in slaves was what tipped the balance here into a definitive Igbo one as the main slave stocks were Igbos from the orlu okigwe axis.
All these info is for bonny alone.as for opobo,its simply the property of Jaja and his descendants and everybody knows that Jaja is Igbo

1 Like

Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by cheruv: 9:45am On Nov 05, 2015
fratermathy:

You are right sir. However, it is in place. He and the maidens dressed like Efiks do.
Overamwen was exiled to Atakpa(that's what we Igbos call calabar) so its not surprising they dress like efiks
Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by cheruv: 9:57am On Nov 05, 2015
Xpaz:

guy stop all this lies.
Dakuku is an ijaw man from ijaw community called Nkorro.
Go figure
I donno why the guy is spreading lies here angry
Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by IGBOPRINCE: 11:42am On Nov 05, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Lol. You're asking the wrong person for the truth.

Well, let's see what he has to say. grin
I don't think I'm asking the wrong person, I ve listened so much from my people so I want to understand tonyebarcanista's views.

So that s why I asked him those questions but it seem he can't denied the stands of igbos in opobo cos he has kept mute since then.
Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by Heartibaby(f): 12:02pm On Nov 05, 2015
fratermathy:

My research was factual and correct.
Anaang people employ fattening rooms. It's even on Anaang wiki page.

The Efiks also have this too. However, I didn't write the title of the photo. The original photographer did. I have no right to tamper with that.

http://www.bubblews.com/posts/fattening-room-used-by-a-nigerian-group-to-gain-weight
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaang_people#Anaang_fattening_Room

As much as wikipedia tries to be, it isnt always correct. We are telling you the history of these people based on EXPERIENCE and you are talking based on internet RESEARCH. Who do you honestly think is more accurate?

U talked about fattening room in annang and then posted a picture a photographer took of a calabar girl and u are saying u didnt label the picture so its not ur fault? Ah don gerrit. The reason why u cant find an actual picture of an annang girl being fattenend is because the annang people do not have that culture.

U did a good job. Please dont spoil it by refusing to correct these errors. U are misleading people

1 Like

Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by bigfrancis21: 1:42pm On Nov 05, 2015
IGBOPRINCE:
I don't think I'm asking the wrong person, I ve listened so much from my people so I want to understand tonyebarcanista's views.

So that s why I asked him those questions but it seem he can't denied the stands of igbos in opobo cos he has kept mute since then.

Yea I get you. By wrong person i meant someone who would not give you the objective truth nor provide you with the truth as it is.

These people find it difficult to admit to the simple fact that Opobo and Bonny (descendants of Ndoki founders) speak Igbo. Notice that in their story versions of these places they are intentionally silent on the language spoken in these areas or outright claim them as Ibani speaking. Do not be surprised if TonyeBarcanista is from one of these places and he speaks fluent Igbo. Bad misrepresentation of facts.

1 Like

Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by Xpaz: 8:20pm On Nov 05, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You mean Dakuku Peterside? The same person who openly declared himself as an Igbo man descended from King Jaja of Opobo?
wanne open your eyes.
Nkorro shares border with Opobo.
don't allow this ijaw people to use you guys again like jona did with Azikiwe
Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 12:00pm On Jun 22, 2017
Very informative ! Need more of these.
Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by Kirigidi(m): 8:14pm On Jun 22, 2017
biafranqueen:
Obi Okosi I on his instalation, 1913. The Roman Catholic caused drastic discontinuities in Onitsha Kingship tradition, and produced deep schisms in Onitsha community. Obi Okosi refused to perform most of the required Installation rituals (especially “Going to Udo” and receiving the “King’s Ofo), and his very crown for his initial Emergence was provided by the RCM, who moved physically into his new palace grounds. The crown he wore here does hold traditional bird feathers, but also features a prominent fleur-des-lis; he does appear to be holding the traditional horsetail switch of mourning, Otinri. At that time, a very large number of Ndi-Onicha refused to give the new Obi his customary tribute, ridiculing him as “the Book (educational) King” (Eze Akukwo) and “Foreigners’ King” (Eze Oyibo).
The mention of "Going to Udo" caught my attention and reminded me of ancient "UDO" the capital of AKA KINGDOM [later re-named Benin Empire] during the "OGISO DYNASTY". Or was it actually a ceremonial rehearsal pointing to where the Obi Kingship authority came from which is the ancient Udo of the OGISOS?
Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by Kirigidi(m): 8:34pm On Jun 22, 2017

d only reason why u ijaws have mouth to talk is because we ve moved on and accepted one Nigeria, If Nigeria ever breaks let nothing can stop us from taking back our stolen lands from the Niger delta. Even of the Ijaws like let them stretch through all the coasts in west Africa 1billion of u guys cant stop us. Bunch of land grabbing greedy people.
Thanks for knowingly or unknowing exposing the hidden evil agenda of Igbo Biafra and your forceful inclusion of Niger-Delta minorities in your Biafra map. But it won't work out. We Niger-Deltans are fully aware of Igbo expansionist plans due to their lack of sufficient land and access to the sea, but we won't succumb to it. We refused to be Biafrans.

2 Likes

Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by Kirigidi(m): 9:59pm On Jun 22, 2017
VickJames:

When you listen to the points they give in this forum, you wont help but ask if these people went to school or they just got educated from a roadside mechanic. I dont usually comment on such senseless threads because they end up killing my intelligence level because whenever i see people talk like that, I feel sad about the next generation of some people.

One man can make a whole tribe speak his language in opobo? He forced everyone in opobo to speak his language there? They will not read history where other people read history but they will cite one blog and call it history of our people. Even when they read normal history, they refuse to picture the happenings of then and make sense in what is happening. but they love living in denial.

Lets say the binis left their kingdom to come to the now ikwerre land like the story claimed, but they refused to cite in the story that the man that was running away saw some people where he started living. So, they told us that the only man who left bini started giving birth kids while other people he met stopped living and expanding. They became barren and lost the penile organ. the way people think in this forum is as a result of lack of critical thinking.

Their revered asari dokubo said that, rivers state is a battle ground which the hausa/fulani people created to cause trouble between the igbos and the minorities. why cant they join the remaining ijaws in the state with their brothers in bayelsa since bayelsa is an ijaw state. they didnt do it, they want to cause more troubles for themselves. the Ijaws are always been known to be riverine people, while attach them to upland people? to cause problems?

they have big problems and they dont even know how to solve it.
Friend! Language alone does not determine or tell the real origin of a people. This is because language is dynamic and people of a place can switch language at any point in history. Let me give you examples in Urhoboland. Orogun is an Urhobo clan with several towns and villages but since time immemorial they were fond of marrying Ukwuani-Igbo women. And because children spend more time with mothers than fathers, they tend to learn quickly whatever language the mothers teach them. As a result of maternal influences, the whole Orogun clan is presently bi-lingual; speaking both Urhobo and Ukwuani-Igbo. Furthermore, do you know that some of these Orogun villages [e.g. Arhagba] have virtually lost their Urhobo language and speak mainly Ukwuani-Igbo? Do you know that their children now find it difficult to speak or understand Urhobo but they can speak and understand Igbo [Ukwuani] fluently? I visited Arhagba-Orogun town in 2011 during INEC Voters Registration Exercise and was taken aback by what I saw. Every where in the community I reached the people were speaking Igbo, playing Igbo musics and rarely heard someone spoke Urhobo. It was so overwhelming that I had to asked my companion that day if we were still actually in Urhoboland and had not wandered into Igboland by mistake. The Igbo influence was so strong in Arhagba town that even church programs were been conducted in English and Igbo languages alone, and not in Urhobo their supposed indigenous language. I tell you, the only feature that still identify Arhagba as an Urhobo town are just their native surnames and culture. Even then, some of them have started bearing Igbo names and if this trend continues in the next 50 years, Igbo culture may completely take over the community and there may not be any trace of Urhobo culture or heritage in Arhagba again. In summary, if we should use language spoken in a place as sole yardstick for ethnic grouping, then in the next coming years Arhagba and other Orogun communities may no longer be classified or regarded as Urhobo but rather Igbo. I suppose that was the same case with Bonny, Ekpeye and others who now speak more of Igboid languages. Do you known that even in Rwanda Hutu and Tutsi are two separate ethnic groups but speak the same language? This was because the Tutsis presumably lost their language in the course of history and adopted the language of the Hutus.

2 Likes

Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by AworiLagosian: 11:38pm On Jun 22, 2017
Kirigidi:

The mention of "Going to Udo" caught my attention and reminded me of ancient "UDO" the capital of AKA KINGDOM [later re-named Benin Empire] during the "OGISO DYNASTY". Or was it actually a ceremonial rehearsal pointing to where the Obi Kingship authority came from which is the ancient Udo of the OGISOS?

How come Udo now is just a tiny insignificant village of not even up to an hamlet?
Udo can't even be seen on a map
Wth happened
Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by fratermathy(m): 12:18am On Jun 23, 2017
AworiLagosian:

How come Udo now is just a tiny insignificant village of not even up to an hamlet?
Wth happened

Things change over time historically. Cities fall, empires go to dust, languages die and new things may or may not arise from their ashes. Greece and Rome were once centres of global civilisations but are today shadows of themselves.

The capital of Igodomigodo (old Benin) somehow changed to modern day Benin City (with the end of the Ogiso dynasty and the rise of Eweka I as the Oba of modern Benin). With the focus on Benin City as the centre of Benin Kingdom, Udo gradually reduced in status, size and prestige. Many more groups may have left at this point to found other Edo communities.

1 Like

Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by AworiLagosian: 12:26am On Jun 23, 2017
fratermathy:

Things change over time historically. Cities fall, empires go to dust, languages die and new things may or may not arise from their ashes. Greece and Rome were once centres of global civilisations but are today shadows of themselves.

The capital of Igodomigodo (old Benin) someone changed to modern day Benin City (with the end of the Ogiso dynasty and the rise of Eweka I as the Oba of modern Benin). With the focus on Benin City as the centre of Benin Kingdom, Udo gradually reduced in status, size and prestige. Many more groups may have left at this point to found other Edo communities.

Yes, but at least there should be ruins, artefacts, signs of an old settlement etc.
Instead all we have is just a tiny bunch of houses. Udo may not have been all that.

1 Like

Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by fratermathy(m): 1:04am On Jun 23, 2017
AworiLagosian:

Yes, but at least there should be ruins, artefacts, signs of an old settlement etc.
Instead all we have is just a tiny bunch of houses. Udo may not have been all that.

Have any known excavations been done that you know of? A lot could be buried underneath. Pompei used to be a centre for Roman culture but most of it is buried in ash now.

1 Like

Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by AworiLagosian: 1:08am On Jun 23, 2017
fratermathy:

Have any known excavations been done that you know of? A lot could be buried underneath. Pompei used to be a centre for Roman culture but most of it is buried in ash now.

Well, the earliest Benin artefacts don't far back enough to the time Udo was the capital of early Edo.
Udo was not an imperial capital, and some have even mentioned that the palace sites of the Ogisos were in Benin.

The only thing I can remember is that one of the earlier rulers of Benin during the time of was it (Eweka?) tried to set up a parallel government there, but of course, Eweka came out triumphant.

1 Like

Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by Kirigidi(m): 9:52am On Jun 23, 2017
AworiLagosian:

Wth happened
Time changes things! "UDO" was a flourishing town during the "OGISO DYNASTY" era. The "OGISOS" made "UDO" the Capital of ancient "AKA KINGDOM" and was home to a vast number Edoid people including the Urhobo-Isokos, Ishans, Etsakos, Epie-Atissas, Ikas, Engennis, Degemas, etc. At the height of the reigns of the "OGISOS" between 600-900 AD, UDO was a power house in the region sending rulers to different lands to reign. For example, "ERE" who was one of the early OGISOS was the founder of "Ughelli Kingdom" in Urhoboland. And it was also during the Ogisos reigns that kings were crowned to rule in Onitsha, Asaba and Agbor. It was after the collapse of the "OGISO DYNASTY" in "900 AD" that Udo town started declining in population and influence. Consequently, the various peoples who made Udo their home abandoned the town and fled to establish new settlements elsewhere as a result of chaos and civil strives which trailed the fall of the "AKA KINGDOM". The Igbos so-much boast-about "ERI" was one of such people who left to found new communities elsewhere. The first settlement "ERI" established on arrival in Igboland was named "ERI-AKA" in memory/ remembrance of where he migrated from; "AKA" land. I do laugh whenever some Igbos claim that 'ERI" migrated from ISRAEL. That is a big lie as there was no such thing! Igbos take note of this: ERI's origin lies in ancient UDO and AKA land of the OGISO KINGS and not ISRAEL. Following the emergence of a new Dynasty [the "Oba Dynasty"] after years of interregnum, "Oranmiyan" who came from "UHE" ["IFE"] was scared to reign from "Udo". Fearing for his life, he transferred the Capital to a new settlement and renamed the Kingdom "BENIN". Relatively, "Udo" is older than "Benin City". If you could remember, the people of UDO refused to accept the authorities of the early OBAS of the OBA DYNASTY and fought several battles gallantly against the Obas until the were finally subdued during the reign of possibly Oba Ewuare the Great [Ogidigan] in about the fifteen Century. It was the many battles Udo waged against the authorities of the Obas that brought the town down. They probably regarded the emerging Obas as strangers and intruders to the land and resisted their over-lordship. Even till date, UDO though now reduced to a small community, still enjoy some autonomous status within the Benin Kingdom.

2 Likes

Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by Konquest: 1:18am On Jul 07, 2017
biafranqueen:
Obi Okosi I on his instalation, 1913. The Roman Catholic caused drastic discontinuities in Onitsha Kingship tradition, and produced deep schisms in Onitsha community. Obi Okosi refused to perform most of the required Installation rituals (especially “Going to Udo” and receiving the “King’s Ofo), and his very crown for his initial Emergence was provided by the RCM, who moved physically into his new palace grounds. The crown he wore here does hold traditional bird feathers, but also features a prominent fleur-des-lis; he does appear to be holding the traditional horsetail switch of mourning, Otinri. At that time, a very large number of Ndi-Onicha refused to give the new Obi his customary tribute, ridiculing him as “the Book (educational) King” (Eze Akukwo) and “Foreigners’ King” (Eze Oyibo).
^^^^^^^^^^
Onicha Ado ni Idu... grin
Re: Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People by Konquest: 1:36am On Jul 07, 2017
UnimkeAk:

Interesting thread OP.

The attached pic.
He was a Calabar King.

King Eyo Honesty; as you can see from the photo, he wore two crowns to show that he was coronated by her majesty The queen of England and the Efik people.
^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
grin ... he wore two crowns?
Colonial mentality... grin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

200-Year-Old Crocodile Showcased At Ero Okeliwo Festival In Ogun (Photos) / Fredrick Obateru Akinruntan: I Am The Leader Of All Obas In Yorubaland / Must See - African Bravery In Pictures!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.