Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

Growing Menace Of Online Sports Betting - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Growing Menace Of Online Sports Betting (1031 Views)

3 African Tips For Starting Small & Growing Big In Your Business & Career / Pauline Ochanya: Pretty Female Firefighter Who Has Won Hearts Of Online Users / Janet John, 23-Year-Old Soldier Who Has Won Heart Of Online Users (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Growing Menace Of Online Sports Betting by Ayo221(m): 7:30pm On Nov 04, 2015
As I sat at my favorite spot in the cyber cafe I couldn't help but notice Lekan the cafe operator checking system display screens cubicle by cubicle.  As he got closer,  I could hear some people murmur and look back at him annoyingly. 
'Lekan',  I called him
'yes boss' , he replied
'Why you dey check people screen na ehn,  can't you see they are not happy about it? I said in our usual pidgin English style. 
'Na all this betting boys jare, we no want make them dey do am here. 
Then it struck me that the owner of the cafe was a devoted Christian and in fact a pastor, which explains why he gave that directive. 
Lekan's reply also took my mind back to what happened last week when I was at a different Cafe for urgent work because my modem was down at the office.  On entering the cafe was that day,  it quickly became obvious to me that every one in the cafe was on one betting site or the other.  The sound of loud chitchat arrested my attention and looked towards the direction of the sound only to find school boys surrounding one system and arguing loudly about the outcome of a match while they took turns to place a bet. Other customers which includes young teenagers, youth and elderly men where busy with the same thing! 
Now I am a football fan,  Infact I support Manchester United,  but rate at which our youth are dependent on the bet earnings is alarming. Should our youth continue to justify the popular saying that the black man is lazy and uncreative? 
As I think about those school children who are supposed to be doing assignments and checking up information online that can develop their mental ability, I fear for the future of this country. 
Yes,  the economy is bad and there are no jobs,  but is sports betting the answer? 
Think about it! 
Big Town

1 Like

Re: Growing Menace Of Online Sports Betting by emorse(m): 7:44pm On Nov 04, 2015
Sports betting like alcohol is completely legal. 18+ only. Whether or not it is morally acceptable is subject to opinion.

1 Like

Re: Growing Menace Of Online Sports Betting by HaykayIsOkay(m): 11:43pm On Nov 04, 2015
You're very right bro. Sport betting is another trick that Satan is using to arrest the soul of both young and old nowadays. A cousin of mine once told me that even on Sundays after church service, you will see people in a bet shop even with thr Bible and garment. Yes, sport betting is legal like alcohol but you will be addicted to it and it destroy life just like alcohol.
Ayo221:
As I sat at my favorite spot in the cyber cafe I couldn't
help but notice Lekan the cafe operator checking system
display screens cubicle by cubicle.  As he got closer,
 I could hear some people murmur and look back at him
annoyingly. 

'Lekan',  I called him

'yes boss' , he replied

'Why you dey check people screen na ehn,  can't you see
they are not happy about it? I said in our usual pidgin
English style. 

'Na all this betting boys jare, we no want make them dey do
am here. 

Then it struck me that the owner of the cafe was a devoted
Christian and in fact a pastor, which explains why he gave
that directive. 

Lekan's reply also took my mind back to what happened last
week when I was at a different Cafe for urgent work because
my modem was down at the office.  On entering the cafe
was that day,  it quickly became obvious to me that
every one in the cafe was on one betting site or the other.
 The sound of loud chitchat arrested my attention and
looked towards the direction of the sound only to find school
boys surrounding one system and arguing loudly about the
outcome of a match while they took turns to place a bet.
Other customers which includes young teenagers, youth and
elderly men where busy with the same thing! 

Now I am a football fan,  Infact I support Manchester
United,  but rate at which our youth are dependent on
the bet earnings is alarming. Should our youth continue to
justify the popular saying that the black man is lazy and
uncreative? 

As I think about those school children who are supposed to be
doing assignments and checking up information online that can
develop their mental ability, I fear for the future of
this country. 

Yes,  the economy is bad and there are no jobs,
 but is sports betting the answer? 

Think about it! 

Big Town
Re: Growing Menace Of Online Sports Betting by Frostty: 5:40am On Nov 05, 2015
in as much as d t major religion in d country is against betting i wont really want to blame ppl dat r involved.just take a look @ dis failed system we called a country.a counry whr sum1 steals wat belongs to all of us and his/her children uses dis stolen treasury to even oppress us in d society.No jobs,no basic amenities,even u want to start meagre biz no capital and u av an opportunity to place a bet wit may be 200h to win lyk 50k or even more within a wk & u fink ppl wont jump @ it.

2 Likes

Re: Growing Menace Of Online Sports Betting by josephobaro(m): 6:12am On Nov 05, 2015
Betting is good but when it becomes an adiction then it's bad.
Re: Growing Menace Of Online Sports Betting by hatux: 7:31am On Nov 05, 2015
The poster above me though*you'll surely know them with their kinda comment*

Sport betting or any form, hate it with passion. You will always see them for football viewing center seated at the front with the palasa phone. Even though our religion do not support and I still don't indulge in it.

When I sees a friend of mine who plays it, na to say bye bye be that.
Re: Growing Menace Of Online Sports Betting by Ayo221(m): 4:43pm On Nov 05, 2015
And you see grown men holding on to bet slips like their life depends on it. Crazy!

(1) (Reply)

How Genuine Is This Dude On Business Mentorship / Easy Admission Into Indian Universities At Very Cheap Rate / How To Make Money IN Midnight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.