Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,213 members, 7,807,731 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:13 PM

A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion (40052 Views)

Court Order Now Prerequisite For Release Of BVN - CBN / My Accounts Has Been Restricted Because Of BVN / Help: my money is Stuck In My GTB Account Because of BVN issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by dan56: 8:21pm On Nov 06, 2015
swimcash:
lol...ur ignorance is amazin.......ow possible can one steal ur money wit ur bvn? bt u fit giv ur bvn numb 2 d banker 2 link ur Acc...bro, its nt possible ok
when u apply for ATM. Don't the banker give you your default ATM pin to go and change it?? Your ignorance is really amazing. That they didn't want to do it themselves dose it mean they can't??
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by mfm04622: 8:22pm On Nov 06, 2015
dan56:
sir your the ignorant one here. If I steal your phone or sim linked to your account. I can get your personal details. Vital information. And if your in for online banking it easy for me to do the rest. Getting your bvn number. I CAN have acces to all your registered information. Don't ask me next step. Just post your bvn number here. Thank my wise ignorant nairaland user.

Think of BVN as an ID card. Then all will be clear. BVN will replace identity cards that be faked. Nothing more.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by dan56: 8:24pm On Nov 06, 2015
mfm04622:

Think of BVN as an ID card. Then all will be clear. BVN will replace identity cards that be faked. Nothing more.
it's more than that. It's like a security for transaction too.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by emerem: 8:30pm On Nov 06, 2015
MikelEleta:
Alright I would do just that but please this has to be put in front page
MikelEleta:
Alright I would do just that but please this has to be put in front page
We are all here to learn from each other. Plz my bros dont be offended, watch your usage of 'would' as a present tense instead of 'will'. Many professors I know also make that mistake which outrightly outwitted their quest for flawless grammar. The word; will changes in tenses like others. Would is just the past tense of will, no string is attached to that. Coming to your point, it is not wise for NCC to allow such sensitive biometric data to be accessed without a password or other security gateways. I was in the bank the other day to link my account with the BVN, the account officer collected my phone, only to return it with a hiss, I thought you registerd your BVN with this sim. I was surprised to notice she just flashed her phone with mine to get my number, but on the other side, she was right that wasn't the phone number I registered with. Something should be done about this fast.

1 Like

Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by mfm04622: 8:34pm On Nov 06, 2015
dan56:
it's more than that. It's like a security for transaction too.

Where are you getting this info? I work in the banking industry. Though am not an IT person, I know the purpose the BVN is meant to serve. People now come to Bank with fake documents that will fool anybody till the owner of the account start shouting he/she did not authorise any withdrawal. With BVN, when they scan your fingerprint, they know who you are! They know the accounts you can withdraw from. You can't impersonate another person in the bank. If BVN will lead to your account being compromised, then any rogue banker can send your BVN to his/her accomplice and drain your account as bankers that has your account number or name can see your BVN.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by yollychika(f): 8:34pm On Nov 06, 2015
It's no big deal... Bvn has biometric info bout da owner which only da owner av access to his account... Da security around bvn is bottleneck tight!!!
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by dan56: 8:37pm On Nov 06, 2015
mfm04622:

Where are you getting this info? I work in the banking industry. Though am not an IT person, I know the purpose the BVN is meant to serve. People now come to Bank with fake documents that will fool anybody till the owner of the account start shouting he/she did not authorise any withdrawal. With BVN, when they scan your fingerprint, they know who you are! They know the accounts you can withdraw from. You can't impersonate another person in the bank. If BVN will lead to your account being compromised, then any rogue banker can send your BVN to his/her accomplice and drain your account as bankers that has your account number or name can see your BVN.
check my post. It's at high risk if the account holder sign up for online banking....sorry to say this. Got my info from guys that are defrauding citizens of the hard earn money .
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by inze(m): 8:39pm On Nov 06, 2015
Chinaimporter:
[size=18pt]it is very true.....no need for childs play here.......i dont want to lose my 4 billion naira in nigeria like i lost my 90 million dollars in venezuela and interpol seized my 101 million dollars in colombia[/size]

. . . wake up from your 'malaria' infested dream.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by donaldekechi(m): 9:42pm On Nov 06, 2015
Pls note bvn is not a password to operate an account.. It's mainly for identification.. Is no PIN CODE FOR ATM ...
Pls stop passing wrong information...
Ur acc can b hacked through debit card n ur Pin code or by fraudulent banker which will b traced immediately at ur bank... Thanks embrace technology grin grin
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by mfm04622: 9:59pm On Nov 06, 2015
dan56:
check my post. It's at high risk if the account holder sign up for online banking....sorry to say this. Got my info from guys that are defrauding citizens of the hard earn money .

https://twitter.com/NigeriaNewsdesk/status/662734733705515008

Read the link above from CBN and learn!
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by mfm04622: 10:02pm On Nov 06, 2015
dan56:

https://twitter.com/NigeriaNewsdesk/status/662734733705515008

Read especially from the second point. Note that this is from CBN! Nobody know about BVN like CBN! Stop misinforming others
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 10:04pm On Nov 06, 2015
Chinaimporter:
[size=18pt]it is very true.....no need for childs play here.......i dont want to lose my 4 billion naira in nigeria like i lost my 90 million dollars in venezuela and interpol seized my 101 million dollars in colombia[/size]
LMVO
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by mfm04622: 10:06pm On Nov 06, 2015
emerem:
We are all here to learn from each other. Plz my bros dont be offended, watch your usage of 'would' as a present tense instead of 'will'. Many professors I know also make that mistake which outrightly outwitted their quest for flawless grammar. The word; will changes in tenses like others. Would is just the past tense of will, no string is attached to that. Coming to your point, it is not wise for NCC to allow such sensitive biometric data to be accessed without a password or other security gateways. I was in the bank the other day to link my account with the BVN, the account officer collected my phone, only to return it with a hiss, I thought you registerd your BVN with this sim. I was surprised to notice she just flashed her phone with mine to get my number, but on the other side, she was right that wasn't the phone number I registered with. Something should be done about this fast.

Nothing special in what she did. She just searched the database for your phone number. If it was the number you used for BVN, it would have brought up your BVN. She doesn't need your phone number. She could have used your account number or name. They prefer number as name can have different variations
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Nobody: 10:12pm On Nov 06, 2015
You're right but BVN does not open my bank account thanks for the details
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by tosyne2much(m): 10:13pm On Nov 06, 2015
jomoh:

Here is my question.

Don't you give people your account number?

Am sure most of the people that will join in condemning this innovation have distributed their account number to almost everyone on their contact list.

Having access to my BVN is like having access to my account number simple. It doesn't mean you have access to my account.

This is why the western worlds still regard us as being backward.
Hahhaha cheesy
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by jomoh: 10:37pm On Nov 06, 2015
tosyne2much:
Hahhaha cheesy

My broda shey I lie ni.

When a so called educated person is afraid of ordinary BVN that is protected by my fingerprints. It shows the person is not in tune with the present technology let alone the Nexgen technology.

I see no difference between such person and an old illiterate market woman who for the fear of the bank loosing her money prefers to keep in under her bed.

Only that that woman, was better because she is an illiterate. If she had been educated, she would have a better chance of understanding how it works.

And the fact that he brought it to an open forum like Nairaland and some people were supporting him makes it really annoying.

2 Likes

Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by sameolg616(m): 10:38pm On Nov 06, 2015
debbie:
As far as i know,Nigeria is not yet ripe for all these ADVANCED TECHY STUFF we do.Do we have enough communication security,do we have enough internet security...have people been educated on the importance of all these and how to safeguard their data,info and personal stuffs( what about those who are illiterates,those aged men and women in the villages and towns,the ignorant youth who dosnt understand how all these works).What we want it to do this and that,CBN will wake up one day to issue an order ( which will turn to be a problem to the masses).Internet banking is porous in Nigeria,even face to face banking has its loopholes too.Even NCC has not even helped ordinary mobile phone users,have the ensured our information is safe.

We want to be like the developed world by force.....until then,biko try to educate your parents ,relations,uncles and aunties....and even friends.So that they wont fall prey to the gullible people out there.

We are far from cyber,mobile and telecommunication security....Nigeria doesnt even have a central security center where tech gurus work to ensure that things are safe.....please tell me if we have any?

Anyway my bvn number is deep down my BOX. cheesy
Good point..pls let me add to ur fears..not so long ago,sim registration exercises were carried out..it was a thorough process of data capture of finger print,maiden name,and face capture...so pls tell me,why is mtn insisting that data registration was partial,incomplete or wasn't done as claimed by ncc...why are they being fined(obvious they don't relieve in the exercise been repeated)..it's injustice..who is in charge of all these data..wer are they kept..?im into I.t and I know te importance of such database esp wen it gets into wrong hands..we get a lot of spam calls;u might tink it's some1that knows u that's behind it..it may simply e a fallout of this misplaced data..
I still got a spam mail yesterday alerting me of a suspicious login alert which wld In turn redirect u to a page where u wld innocently enter ur original details and the rest is history.we really wan upgrade the system but as u stressed they is no proper education,awareness and manpower esp in a country where corruption is becoming a cultural trend..they shd start from stable electricity..

Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by tunergy(m): 10:43pm On Nov 06, 2015
dan56:
giving your bvn to the wrong hands. Will expose your vital information....personal datas, And if your in for online banking it paves way to clear your account. By extreemed online bank defrauders.....

I must confess, thus is really interesting.
Take thus scenario.
I have an accout with Gtb (online banking subscribed) also i have another account with First bank(online banking subscribed too)

The two mention accounts are linked to 1 BVN number. However i use 3 level security to assess these online banking. 1. my password 2.my security question 3.token generated code.
Pls note that the authentication of the 2 accounts differs.

Please Explain how someone with possession on my BVN Number can access my account and clear it.

If there is something you know. Fellow NL would like to be aware and updated too.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by aspirebig: 10:57pm On Nov 06, 2015
Very soon, NCC will be called to settle family issues.

Is like some people never knew that NCC is existing until recently.

Very interesting.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by sameolg616(m): 11:03pm On Nov 06, 2015
mfm04622:

I'm into it so let me correct u..cyber crime is well organized..it's only fools,greedy pple and or God just wants u to be caught..there is something called reverse engineering..pple find a way to exploit the system.eg Oyinbo made programs to like ip concealer to hide ur computer details so that hackers don't break into ur system..I'm this part of the world,that same program is what pple use to fake they are In the us and even scam they pple the program was built to protect..if ur boss is a participant in a multi Naira scam and he instructs u to make a payment witout a bvn authorization citing he is a top customer,wld u query him or the networks equites to facilitate the authorization fails,won't u switch to manual mode?
As it's said,wen u fight corruption,corruption fights back..
A fool on Nairaland made an advert of 5g for 1500..so u decided to call him but as I asked many questions,he replied angrily,pls don't call me again and he dropped the fone...I used trucaller to trace the number and it came out as joy connectt..we called again wit another number and he realised I was the one and dropped angrily..so tell me,if he had scammed me,do u tink his registration details(bvn) with mtn or ncc is enuf to catch him...yeye!
If it cld,then those phone scams wld av reduced or stopped
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by tosyne2much(m): 11:08pm On Nov 06, 2015
jomoh:

My broda shey I lie ni.

When a so called educated person is afraid of ordinary BVN that is protected by my fingerprints. It shows the person is not in tune with the present technology let alone the Nexgen technology.

I see no difference between such person and an old illiterate market woman who for the fear of the bank loosing her money prefers to keep in under her bed.

Only that that woman, was better because she is an illiterate. If she had been educated, she would have a better chance of understanding how it works.

And the fact that he brought it to an open forum like Nairaland and some people were supporting him makes it really annoying.
Bros you have spoken intelligently

I have also been wondering why on earth an educated person will be bereft of technological knowledge.

Even without asking, one's initiative should tell him that another person can never get access to your account with just BVN
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by sameolg616(m): 11:08pm On Nov 06, 2015
aspirebig:
Very soon, NCC will be called to settle family issues.

Is like some people never knew that NCC is existing until recently.

Very interesting.
Lol..na serious family dispute be dat cuz I can't imagine wen a polygamous family eventually sells an inherited property after many years ad they are waiting for the money to be shared then anoda smart thief now steals bvn and withdraws all the money...GBESE re o..no be only Jesus dem go use find am,na occultic spirits dem go call
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by jomoh: 11:22pm On Nov 06, 2015
tosyne2much:

I have also been wondering why on earth an educated person will be bereft of technological knowledge.

Even without asking, one's initiative should tell him that another person can never get access to your account with just BVN

Abi o.

And the guy and some of his equally shameless apologists keep arguing with anyone who cares to enlighten them.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by sameolg616(m): 11:22pm On Nov 06, 2015
tosyne2much:

Now u both are the ones talking like the illiterates..if America,a more organized country can be hacked then wats the relevance of ur bvn in the whole matter..as Fashola said "it's an institutional process"..bvn is an improved centralized of the old mandate banks used to request from each other..the person that wrote this thread made a very good point and awareness needed in improving the system..u shd be applauding him..
Let me give u an assignment..find ur friends mtn fone who has neva transferred credit before and try to...the system wld return an error prompting u to change the default password of 0000 to ur desired password..wen its successful....are u aware,even the owner of the fone is not aware and in the future can't even transfer on his fone except he calls in to complain..so tell me,who provided the information used to commit the crime?mtn
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by sameolg616(m): 11:47pm On Nov 06, 2015
mfm04622:

Sir, you are the ignorant one. BVN is a means of identification! If anyone steal your ID card that contain your photo and finger print. Does that give them access to your account?
What BVN will b used for is confirming you are who you claim to be in banks. For example, instead of asking for driver's licence that we know can be faked, banks will just ask you to put your finger on a finger scanner. End of story! You can not be Aina and claim you are Ojo again.
im really sorry for u....its too-know pple like u that are always the 1st to be scammed....in the end,u start making empty threats that u wld sue or that u know pple.....
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by sameolg616(m): 11:51pm On Nov 06, 2015
GoodMuyis:

No He didnt have a point, the New bank will Verify your name and photograph before any transaction that requires BVN
and what if itts the bank officials and their allies that are involved in the crime....intelligent security companies pay attention to posts like this so they can learn to improve tactics,strategies and policies.....why do u think the bvn was created in the first place.....check the archives for the steward that impersonated his senator boss.....that was part of wat led to sim registration...
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by tosyne2much(m): 11:55pm On Nov 06, 2015
sameolg616:

Now u both are the ones talking like the illiterates..if America,a more organized country can be hacked then wats the relevance of ur bvn in the whole matter..as Fashola said "it's an institutional process"..bvn is an improved centralized of the old mandate banks used to request from each other..the person that wrote this thread made a very good point and awareness needed in improving the system..u shd be applauding him..
Let me give u an assignment..find ur friends mtn fone who has neva transferred credit before and try to...the system wld return an error prompting u to change the default password of 0000 to ur desired password..wen its successful....are u aware,even the owner of the fone is not aware and in the future can't even transfer on his fone except he calls in to complain..so tell me,who provided the information used to commit the crime?mtn
hmmmmm !!!

You are wrongly justifying the OP bro.. Nobody is denying the fact that a call for safety practices are needed to avert fraud and manipulation

What we are trying to say is that, your BVN is synonymous to your account number. In as much as it's quite unnecessary to hide your account number from other people, same thing applies to BVN
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by sameolg616(m): 12:11am On Nov 07, 2015
tosyne2much:
hmmmmm !!!

You are wrongly justifying the OP bro.. Nobody is denying the fact that a call for safety practices are needed to avert fraud and manipulation

What we are trying to say is that, your BVN is synonymous to your account number. In as much as it's quite unnecessary to hide your account number from other people, same thing applies to BVN
since u av agreed in ur statement "Nobody is denying the fact that a call for safety practices are needed to avert fraud and manipulation"
then its case closed...the poster was right along with everyone that expressed fear or wanted to learn more...
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by sameolg616(m): 12:20am On Nov 07, 2015
tosyne2much:
hmmmmm !!!

as its said:nobody controls the internet,just make the best of everytin if u can"
this is my field and i dont leave anytin to chance.....
years ago,there was a famous scam in intercontinental banks......a bamker just developed a bug to be deducting N5 from pples accounts...so tell me,if u got an alert that read "N5 deducted from xxxxxxxxxxxx for xxxxxxxxxxx reasons"...trust me,u wld never call ur bank to complain or investigate...now do the math,N5 X 1million accts...dint that scam just bypass ur bvn and gain access to ur account?
and do u know why?cuz thats an inside job..
i still dont know how he was caught but it wld boil down to GREED..
try watch this movie by harisson ford "firewall'...he built the safety and hardest firewall against bank fraud...but the fraudsters had a better plan,he would be the same person to break the firewall and grant their wishes....it was a simple wish....they wanted just $10k from the 100top millionaire accounts..
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by tosyne2much(m): 12:26am On Nov 07, 2015
sameolg616:

as its said:nobody controls the internet,just make the best of everytin if u can"
this is my field and i dont leave anytin to chance.....
years ago,there was a famous scam in intercontinental banks......a bamker just developed a bug to be deducting N5 from pples accounts...so tell me,if u got an alert that read "N5 deducted from xxxxxxxxxxxx for xxxxxxxxxxx reasons"...trust me,u wld never call ur bank to complain or investigate...now do the math,N5 X 1million accts...dint that scam just bypass ur bvn and gain access to ur account?
and do u know why?cuz thats an inside job..
i still dont know how he was caught but it wld boil down to GREED..
try watch this movie by harisson ford "firewall'...he built the safety and hardest firewall against bank fraud...but the fraudsters had a better plan,he would be the same person to break the firewall and grant their wishes....it was a simple wish....they wanted just $10k from the 100top millionaire accounts..
Hmmmmm !!!

*Mouth sealed*
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by tosyne2much(m): 12:36am On Nov 07, 2015
jomoh:

Abi o.

And the guy and some of his equally shameless apologists keep arguing with anyone who cares to enlighten them.
Bros easy oooo cool
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Tinyemeka(m): 1:14am On Nov 07, 2015
MikelEleta:
Has anyone wondered about the dangers of using your phone to get your BVN number. All I see is how excited everybody seems to be. Though its a laudable initiative BUT I feel it would give room for criminals and hackers to easily obtain the BVN number simply by collecting ones phone and using it to send the code thereby obtaining the BVN number. Something urgently needs to be done concerning this OR in the meantime let it be stopped by the NCC. I fear for the repercusions of this. Does anyone concur to what am saying or has a contrary opinion? Please I would like to get contributions. Cc Lalasticlala, Obinoscopy, Ishilove and all other mods please push this to front page let the authorities hear us.

And what would they need your BVN for?

Your ownership of a BVN is simply a confirmation that you've completed the Biometric data capture needed by the banks to properly tie your account(s) to your identity. Basically to drastically minimize fraud.

BVN does not grant access to your account. Only aids in identification.

My opinion sha.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

1 Dollar Is Now ₦‎1,070 / Herbert Wigwe's Cryptic Post Hints At ‘End Of Life’ / Ten (10) Ways One Can Remain Poor In Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.