Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,812 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:28 PM

How To Write A Professional Job Winning Curriculum Vitae - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Write A Professional Job Winning Curriculum Vitae (2727 Views)

10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae / 6 Tips For Writing A Winning Curriculum Vitae / Here's What A job-winning One-page CV Looks Like (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Write A Professional Job Winning Curriculum Vitae by ashantemoore(f): 9:58am On Nov 05, 2015
With all the flaws have seen in some of the resumes have been able to review out of all that have gotten, out of my very busy schedule, I'm so compelled to write on how to design/write a 'good' professional cover letter/comprehensive CV that will stand you out among other resume, help you beat other applicants, get you the job interview and give you a greater opportunity of being selected for the job because truth is I cant possibly reply all the mails and at the same time review, re-write/edit all the chunk of CV's that have gotten since @Kdrex put me on the spot. angry

To all those that have not been able to reply your mails or edit your resume for you, you are not ignored at all, its due to time factor. Plus the mails have gotten are so much. Please accept my apology and do take this article as a general reply to all your mails. Thank you for understanding.

To be blunt and honest, i could not help but laugh after reviewing some of the resumes i was chanced to review and below is some of the advice i gave out.

"This is 2015 and no HR manager would want to waste his or her time viewing your CV not to talk of considering you for an interview with the loads of resume on his desk for the following reasons...

No matter how comprehensive your resume is, it must not be more than two pages, better still a page. (I was shocked to see some 3 to 4 pages resume). Secondly, your CV has no objective nor summary. It is not professional nor targeted. CV's this days must be designed and targeted at a particular industry or job role. Thirdly, your CV format is out-dated, this is 2015 and no HR manager would be interested in going through a resume with an unattractive 1980's format. There are more point but i have to stop there."

You should note that HR managers receive loads of CV on daily basis and your CV must surpass the above listed criteria for them to view it at all not to talk of considering you for an interview. We often underestimate how important a well written CV is, whereas it is a candidates first contact with a prospective employer. It's important to remember that when it comes to your CV, looks really do matter.

A 'good' professional comprehensive CV dramatically improves your chances of getting an interview and reduces the length of time you spend looking for a job. Essentially your CV is a passport to getting a job interview and a well written CV can make you VISIBLE, while a bad one can make you invisible.

PART 2

Good morning beautiful people... My apologies for not coming back yesterday to give you the concluding part of this post. Continue to read below...

A resume is a concise, persuasive and focused marketing tool designed to get you an interview. Since a professional CV is vital to building a successful career, it should be designed to the highest standards aimed directly at the needs, objectives and requirements of the employer.

If you dad is not a petroleum minister directly handing your CV to the employer, please know that you will not get a second chance to make a first good impression with employers, therefore it's very important that you develop a professional high impact CV that not only gets you noticed but also qualify you for the job interview. Recruiters never ignore good talent and a well written professional CV is the first sign of that.

Things to note before writing you CV:

* Write and have 2 comprehensive CV (In a Standard CV and Targeted CV Format). The Targeted CV will target a particular job role/industry you are interested in working with while the Standard CV will be a general professional career summary resume tailored to suit your present career status designed to give you a great step towards your career.

* Write and target it at a specific job so you don't aim at the recruiters dust bin.

* Before you start, know who you are, where you are going and think carefully about what you have to offer an employer. Ask yourself, “What’s in it for them?” This is your image maker – make it flawless.

* Treat your curriculum vitae as a marketing document and lay it out in an organized way so that it’s easy for the employer to quickly find the information they are looking for in an employee.

* Try to get into the mind of the employer and find out exactly what they are looking for in an employee. Do this by carefully reading the job description and making detailed notes on the job specifications and also what qualities, skills, qualifications and experience the employer has asked for in the job advert. Write down the key phrases and terminology that are used and then mirror these by mentioning them in your CV.

* Most employers prefer a one page or two resume so exclude the long list of names of your References (Available Upon Request will do). Avoid any personal data such as age, date of birth, number of children, gender, religion, health or marital status, they are not interested in that yet, what they want to know is your key abilities and strengths, what you can offer them. Also, be sure to arrange the contents well, putting the most important content first (You can follow the order listed below).

* Once again and most importantly, professionally write your resume to tailor and target each specific job you are applying for to get the job interview and consequently the job.

How To Write A Professional Job Winning Curriculum Vitae:

1. Write Your Identifying Information: Start at the top with your full name and middle initial centered in font size 14. Underneath your name, in font size 11, write your mailing address with city, state and zip. On the next line, type your phone number(s) with area code(s), email and perhaps your LinkedIn website address. Know that is not necessary to label your resume “Resume of” at the top of the page.

2. Write Your Summary: This easily determine the type of job/career you are seeking telling the recruiter what you want and what you have to offer. You should know that recruiters tend to create a mental picture as they read your resume, so begin by creating the image they want and need.

Mention the following in you summary...
Your strongest skills that match the requirements of the job role.
Any special work related awards or distinctions that you may have achieved.
Try to clearly explain what you can bring to the job.
Try to use buzzwords related to the job role, however do not over do, only use a maximum of three.

3. Write Your Skills Sets/Core Competences: This is where you quickly sell to the recruiter what you have to offer. Start with a bullet, and then list your top transferable abilities in one, two or three columns. (Don't forget to stress your areas of expertise)

4. Experience: This is an important part of your CV where you will show and describe to the recruiter what you have done and achieved in your career, secondly what useful skills you have that they could use.

Remember to save space and make yourself more attractive and marketable by presenting only relevant facts and keeping unnecessary information to a minimum. Have a priority of showing your achievements over any daily routine tasks you performed. When describing your work duties try to make them sound interesting by using dynamic power words and not boring clichés. It goes without saying that you should only give positive and successful examples of what you have done or achieved.

5. Education: write the names of schools, locations, degrees, certificates and anything that is relevant.

6. Honors: These can include awards, citations, scholarships, Dean’s list and any other recognition.

7. Community Service: Hiring managers like to see that you are giving back outside of work. Often, volunteer experience can be as equally valuable to paid employment. It can also show that you are well rounded. An officer position can indicate leadership abilities.

8. Interest: Although this is optional, recruiters may get a better feel about you if you show your personality and uniqueness. Think about any interesting side of you want to draw attention to. Can it demonstrate any related skills? Often you will see travel, hobbies and athletics.

9. References: Available on request (Simple)

I will come back to post how to write a cover letter and it's advantage.

2 Likes

Re: How To Write A Professional Job Winning Curriculum Vitae by obinnashady(m): 10:12am On Nov 05, 2015
Cv's don't give jobs in Nigeria,its just favour and connection

1 Like

Re: How To Write A Professional Job Winning Curriculum Vitae by estheradenike(f): 2:08pm On Nov 05, 2015
May God help us all
Re: How To Write A Professional Job Winning Curriculum Vitae by Nobody: 2:19pm On Nov 05, 2015
Please ma, I'm so interested.
Re: How To Write A Professional Job Winning Curriculum Vitae by projet: 2:23pm On Nov 05, 2015
babe just drop wetin u know...guys are interested. thanks
Re: How To Write A Professional Job Winning Curriculum Vitae by 12507: 2:32pm On Nov 05, 2015
okay, eagerly waiting with so much interest
Re: How To Write A Professional Job Winning Curriculum Vitae by Gentlemedi(m): 2:46pm On Nov 05, 2015
Nice post my dear...am interested..continue
Re: How To Write A Professional Job Winning Curriculum Vitae by Sidney1990: 2:57pm On Nov 05, 2015
I am interested, pls carry on
Re: How To Write A Professional Job Winning Curriculum Vitae by Inioluwa01(m): 6:32pm On Nov 05, 2015
Following
Re: How To Write A Professional Job Winning Curriculum Vitae by chrisantus25(f): 6:58pm On Nov 05, 2015
Go on ma'am
Re: How To Write A Professional Job Winning Curriculum Vitae by Nobody: 7:02pm On Nov 05, 2015
As u were saying...

1 Like

Re: How To Write A Professional Job Winning Curriculum Vitae by ashantemoore(f): 10:18am On Nov 06, 2015
Good morning beautiful people... My apologies for not coming back yesterday to give you the concluding part of this post. You can read it now, its updated...
Re: How To Write A Professional Job Winning Curriculum Vitae by Nobody: 10:22pm On Nov 08, 2015
Nice post, please how can I reach you,I still have much questions to ask
Re: How To Write A Professional Job Winning Curriculum Vitae by Nobody: 9:29am On Nov 09, 2015
ashantemoore:
Good morning beautiful people... My apologies for not coming back yesterday to give you the concluding part of this post. You can read it now, its updated...
will like to ask u about this cover letter.. I have like 3 different ones but I still dat I haven't gotten it write.. Do u mind reviewing any fr me
Re: How To Write A Professional Job Winning Curriculum Vitae by ukeme200(m): 12:16pm On Nov 09, 2015
Useful article
Re: How To Write A Professional Job Winning Curriculum Vitae by lexaydfg(m): 11:22pm On Feb 22, 2016
@op, i cant see any cover letter, can you please re-post or sumfin

cc
ashantemoore

(1) (Reply)

Become Sales Manager In Zagaleti / Vacancy! Vacancy!! Vacancy!!! / Fastizers Food and Confectionery Ltd Recruitment (3 Positions) - OND/HND/Bsc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.