Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,889 members, 7,806,578 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) (54526 Views)

Nigerian Doctor Suspended For ‘wooing’ Patient With Texts: Is It OKAY For Doctor / See How Hospital Watched This Innocent Child Die (VIDEO) / RE: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctors By Jude Chiedu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by olafum1(m): 7:16pm On Nov 05, 2015
Poor attitude of health workers claims the life of a pregnant woman in labour, BUKOLA ADEBAYO reports

When Omowumi Shonuga tapped her husband that her water had broken at 5 am on Thursday morning, being a sign of labour pain, anxiety took hold of him. Although he, Ayobanji Shonuga, was remotely happy that his second child was about to be born, he was as nervous as many men would be in that situation.

As the wife’s labour pains increased, the 33-year-old man quickly packed his baby’s things and rushed her to the Rauf Aregbesola Health Centre in Egbeda. Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos.

were locked.

Shonuga said, “We got to the hospital around 5 am to meet the hospitals locked. I horned and horned, nobody came out. After a while a woman came out and said there was no doctor to attend to me, that I should take her to the Igando General Hospital.

“I said it was impossible for a doctor not to be on duty in a hospital as big as this. She ignored any other enquiry I was trying to make. As I got back to my car, I saw that my wife had delivered the baby and that she was in a pool of blood and she was also bleeding. It was when I started shouting, ‘Blood! Blood! Baby’ that two nurses rushed out from the hospital.”

Moribund, grounded ambulances

Shonuga related the ordeal that Omowunmi went through in the hands of health workers at the health centre last week to our correspondent, saying the hospital’s negligence had turned him into a widower.

Instead of coming to his wife’s aid, Shonuga alleged, the nurses blamed him for not shouting loud enough to have attracted their attention to get the keys to open the gate .

“After they opened the gate, I drove in. One of the attendants picked the baby, but the nurses refused to touch my wife. I asked for a stretcher to take her in, they said they didn’t have. I asked for an ambulance to take her away from there, they said they were not with the keys.

“I had to carry her upstairs with no help from them because they didn’t want to touch her. They said there was no doctor to attend to her.”

After much persuasion from him, the nurses told him to go and buy some injections and drugs that would stop the bleeding while they began stitching a cut his wife had.

“She was shouting that the pain was too much while they were stitching her but they kept telling her to keep quiet. I knew something was wrong and told them to get a doctor. They said he was on his way,” he added.

‘We cannot handle this case, take her to Igando’

Shonuga said that in spite of the stitches, Omowunmi did not stop bleeding and the doctor who came in while they were cleaning her up said they should take her to the Igando General Hospital as her case was too critical for them to handle.

“ He looked at her eyeballs and said that she had lost a lot of blood and would need to be transfused but they could not do that at that moment.

“ I asked again for the ambulance so I could take her to Igando. They said they didn’t have the keys yet. It was just packed there doing nothing. It was then I asked after my baby. They kept quiet. Later, someone went out to check the room the baby was supposed to be and said the baby was no longer breathing.

“It was obvious that they abandoned the baby. I went in to carry my wife with the drip on her but insisted that they must give me a referral note and a nurse to go with me to Igando so that her case could be treated as an emergency.

“They refused until their supervisor instructed them to go with me when she heard me shouting. It took another 25 minutes before they came with a note and one of the members of staff went with me,” Shonuga lamented.

No bed space, please go to another hospital

It was a similar scenario that played out when Shonuga got to the Igando General Hospital with Omowunmi around 6am on the same day.

She was rejected. Shonuga said the nurses told them to go to another hospital as there was no bed space to admit his dying wife.

“For another 45 minutes, we couldn’t get a bed. After I threw a tantrum that attracted some attention, they began running up and down and said they had created a bed space for her.

“They took her blood sample and insisted that they wouldn’t transfuse her till I had paid N20,000. We argued again that it was an emergency that they should go ahead but at this stage she was already losing consciousness. While they were trying to secure a drip for her, she died.”

Shonuga told our correspondent that he buried his late wife and his newborn baby later that day.

Omowunmi , a graduate of Accounting from the Lagos State University, died at the age of 30, leaving a three- year-old baby girl behind.

Still shaken by the circumstances that led to his wife’s death, Shonuga said he would petition authorities of the public hospitals and vowed that he would not relent until justice was served.

According to the widower, Omowunmi and his baby would have been alive if health workers at the two hospitals had given them the speedy attention they deserved.

“The most painful thing for me is that she suffered so much before she died. She cried and bled on and on, but that did not even move them. There was no doctor on duty and they could not give me an ambulance to handle her case.

“I only took her there because that was where she had her antenatal and they knew her and her health history. If I had known I would have taken her to a private hospital.”

When contacted, the Medical Officer, Alimosho Local Government, Dr. Micheal Ariyibi, said that the Ministry of Health had received a complaint and had begun an investigation into the case. The ministry, he said, would not hesitate to punish those involved in the unfortunate incident.

Ariyibi said, “The report is with the Ministry of Health already and we are trying to investigate who and who were involved. I’m assuring you that they will not go unpunished.”

The Director of Information at the ministry, Mrs. Deola Salako, corroborated Ariyibi’s claims, saying that an investigative panel had been sent to the health centres involved and any one found to have contributed to the deaths would be sanctioned.

Source: http://punchng.com/2015/11/4087

Nigerians always giving medicine after death embarassed embarassed embarassed . Doubts their are inspectors who regularly moderates and conduct checks and balances in this hospitals, The fact that its a government hospital makes the case worse. RIP to the deceased cry cry

Lalasticlala come jo..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by sissylucy(f): 7:18pm On Nov 05, 2015
.Hmmmm....na wa o..

may their soul rest in perfect peace

12 Likes

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by Donbabajay12(m): 7:18pm On Nov 05, 2015
Pityful!! RIP SAN(senior abiayiamo of nigeria)

1 Like

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by ernesty20(m): 7:20pm On Nov 05, 2015
Buhari

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by McCarlito(m): 7:24pm On Nov 05, 2015
Nigerian nurses and their I Don't Care Attitudes when their licences are withdrawn from them(If it is possible in Nigeria) now the will start blaming the devil....
See the cruel treatment melted out to a newborn and sending him/her back after barely spending 20mins on earth....

May the soul of both the woman and newborn rest in peace.....

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by nikkiking(m): 7:26pm On Nov 05, 2015
Haba now which kind bad luck is this cry cry.

They have nothing in hospital angry.

1 Like

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by menix(m): 7:32pm On Nov 05, 2015
Ooooohh my Gawd!!

What exactly works in this our country called Nigeria..

Ow I just wish the British can come annex this country, everything about this nation is just so pathetic..

With tears, I mourn with the husband, this is an ugly way to die in a country.

Ow I wish thunder hears our prayer..

RIP to these innocent souls....

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by MathsChic(f): 8:26pm On Nov 05, 2015
Oops! Not good
Incidents like this reveal the incredibly pitiable state Nigeria has descended into. Words cannot express the enormity of this pity. Words simply cannot.

... and everyone goes about their business, afterwards.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by wachakuta(m): 8:26pm On Nov 05, 2015
So sad
Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by piagetskinner(m): 8:26pm On Nov 05, 2015
Chai... All these unreliable public hospitals sef # sometimes it's better to make use of private hospitals

See how they've made this poor man become a widower overnight due to their ineptitude # something he never bargained for... It is well.

Wishing all pregnant mothers safe delivery

20 Likes

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by Raxxye(m): 8:27pm On Nov 05, 2015
Only in Naija

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by doctortope(m): 8:27pm On Nov 05, 2015
P
Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 05, 2015
So sad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by Nobody: 8:28pm On Nov 05, 2015
Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by Nobody: 8:28pm On Nov 05, 2015
Wow! Very sad. A friend just lost his wife to prolonged labour too. cry cry

5 Likes

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by costandi(m): 8:30pm On Nov 05, 2015
Its what an average Nigerian faces on a daily.

We should all put Nigeria in our prayers.
Everything seems to fail in this country lets look up to God.

ASIDE from the story

Sometimes I asked myself, Is this country meant to be?
At the tower of babel, When God wanted to cause disunity amongst the people, he caused the people to have different languages which resulted in different tribes.
Nigeria has 521 languages and has 371 ethnic groups. Isn't there bound to be disunity among us?

Are we meant to be?

14 Likes

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by sucreblazing(m): 8:30pm On Nov 05, 2015
Oh God I swear down we still have a very long way to go in Nigeria.....

2 Likes

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by butterflyatalan: 8:30pm On Nov 05, 2015
menix:
Ooooohh my Gawd!!

What exactly works in this our country called Nigeria..

Ow I just wish the British can come annex this country, everything about this nation is just so pathetic..

With tears, I mourn with the husband, this is an ugly way to die in a country.

Ow I wish thunder hears our prayer..

RIP to these innocent souls....

Trust me, it's still going to happen. smiley. And this time, it'll be tougher than the last

1 Like

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by successiam(m): 8:30pm On Nov 05, 2015
useless APC government

may all APC leaders die this way cos they fail to give Nigerians good health care

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by ubaobi: 8:30pm On Nov 05, 2015
Life is very cheap in naija

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by kozmokaz(m): 8:31pm On Nov 05, 2015
dis can only happen in Nigeria!!!

d poster below me just escaped from yaba left grin

1 Like

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by gokay11(m): 8:31pm On Nov 05, 2015
When are we going to get things right in diz country,Doctors are busy running their private hospitals while people are loosing their precious life in a government owned hospitals. Pathetic

8 Likes

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by BOWOTO(m): 8:32pm On Nov 05, 2015
Nigeria as it is has failed.
I pray God gives this new Government wisdom and will to make things right again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by EagleScribes: 8:32pm On Nov 05, 2015
RIP. This is so pitiable. I wish we were in a same country where there's law and order,
where citizens have rights,
where leaders are responsible

Such a pretty lady

*tears*

2 Likes

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by chimoskyg(m): 8:32pm On Nov 05, 2015
Such news break my heart.
Wish I can lay my hands on those useless nurses
Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by IYANGBALI: 8:32pm On Nov 05, 2015
Its a pity. Sorry bro

1 Like

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by Ismahill(m): 8:32pm On Nov 05, 2015
na God go punish those nurses ......see as the tin dy pain me lyk say na me d tin hpn 2 #DoubleRip

3 Likes

Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by maryhaam(f): 8:32pm On Nov 05, 2015
Read this earlier on punch today so touching,the medical line has lost its touch which is humanity,so devastating,the vacuum of been motherless,the widower,its pathetic.
Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by 4nobody4every1: 8:33pm On Nov 05, 2015
so,so sad, angry sad embarassed
Re: Mother, Child Die Looking For Doctor (Photo) by ToyozzieTohBad(f): 8:33pm On Nov 05, 2015
Sad

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lady Runs Mad Inside Osogbo Popular Market, Causes Traffic Gridlock (pic) / President Jonathan, Fashola, Sambo Use Hand Sanitizer During Meeting On Ebola / Benefits And Effects Of Cups Of Coffee A Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.