Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,240 members, 7,807,810 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:38 PM

Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All (3926 Views)

LASTMA Impounds Indian Man's Car On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos (Photos) / Community Blocks Akure Highway Over Death Of Boy / Core Function Of Lastma On Our Roads. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by xposure(m): 11:09am On May 13, 2009
When the Tinubu administration introduced LASTMA
{Lagos state traffic management authority}, it was
to manage the chaotic traffic situation in Lagos.

As it always happen to any good intended policy,
Nigerians have a way of turning it upside down
for their selfish interest.

Its a pity to say the least what happened today at
ojuelegba when a LASTMA official lost his life.

Anybody who is frequent around Ojuelegba knows there
are couple of road constructions going on around the
area {kudos to Governor Fashola}.

A commercial bus who because of the construction
stopped to drop a passenger where the LASTMA officer
must have frowned at took off in order to escape arrest
and in a bid to arrest the bus his life was cut short.

Eye witness account has it that the heavy duty machine
carrying a slab was at work when LASTMA officer was
running after the commercial bus. The red flag alert
which normally signals danger was up and everybody
stayed away from the caterpillar but the LASTMA officer
was not aware of the danger. He ran into the heavy duty
machine and died on the spot.

One is not condoning the attitude of the commercial
driver but it should be noted that there are better
ways to handle such situation. Personally i have
witnessed a situation where police officer and
LASTMA officer were dragging the steering wheel
with the driver of a fully loaded commercial bus
popularly called molue.

If not for selfish motive, situations like this could
be avoided. All the law enforcement officer needs to
do is get the registration number of the vehicle
and this will safe life of the driver, passengers,
the law officer and other road users.

What is your advise to other law officer to avoid
situations like this.

For More Stories About Happening In Lagos Check Out www.thisismylagos..com
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by busibodi(f): 11:36am On May 13, 2009
Eye witness account has it that the heavy duty machine
carrying a slab was at work when LASTMA officer was
running after the commercial bus. The red flag alert
which normally signals danger was up and everybody
stayed away from the caterpillar but the LASTMA officer
was not aware of the danger. He ran into the heavy duty
machine and died on the spot.

only happens in a failed state.
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by Nobody: 1:26pm On May 13, 2009
its all down to this "ROGER ME" bullshit! this guy was running to get his BRIBE not for any other reason!
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by adexchamp(m): 2:56pm On May 13, 2009
May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace.
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by manoy(m): 3:41pm On May 13, 2009
adexchamp:

Did U just say'his gentle soul' ?lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by AKO1(m): 3:43pm On May 13, 2009
busi-bodi:

What do you mean? Did you not read the part that said he was not aware of the flag?
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by Nobody: 11:57pm On May 13, 2009
The dead LASTMA's family has my sympathy.

The LASTMA officer however, doesn't.
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by busibodi(f): 9:06am On May 14, 2009
Siena:

The dead LASTMA's family has my sympathy.

The LASTMA officer however, doesn't.

As if your sympathy matters.
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by Sagamite(m): 9:26am On May 14, 2009
adexchamp:

Gentle? How you know?

manoy:

Did U just say'his gentle soul' ?lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Don't you just hate it when people think it is compulsory to say nice things (whether it is a lie or not) about people just because they are dead.
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by akhis: 9:33am On May 14, 2009
BUSI BODI, u are a real busy body. its as if u dont have work. You only criticise others. Its not a good attitude to have.
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by kaghoe(m): 9:38am On May 14, 2009
i do not wish to sound like an insensitive person here-it's a man's life that's lost- but i think it is a huge lesson to all them police and LASTMA people. what is supposed to be ''govt work'' is now personal ''hammer''. tell me, if he was to arrest and hand over the driver to the PROPER authority, he will not work that hard,
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by obxddon(m): 9:54am On May 14, 2009
Well the whole thing boils down to a bad government and also bad economy.If we had a good government these men would not take bribe because they would be paid well and if they do they would be punished by the law, But In a case where the head of the LATSMA and Olopa would wait for the return of the "rogers" collected from the boys, they cannot be punihsed even if they are caught.

Also if we have a strong database created, all the man needs to do is get the registration number of the driver and circulate through out the state or the country(that is if his intetions is not to collect egunje) and the other LATSMA people would be on alert and watch out for tha vehicle, In any case im don die, and when im get to Heaven or Hell he would tell his story grin grin grin
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by sesman(m): 9:54am On May 14, 2009
As for me personally, I will give him the benefit of doubt because he is not here to defend himself. He might just be doing his job trying to apprehend a culprit, not for his own benefit but simply because he is doing his job the best way he can.

My Sympathy goes out to him and his family.
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by kayc33(m): 10:32am On May 14, 2009
just sad
sad
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by kshow1(m): 10:42am On May 14, 2009
akhis:

BUSI BODI, u are a real busy body. its as if u dont have work. You only criticise others. Its not a good attitude to have.
i thot i was the only one that noticed this ,  smiley smiley
meanwhile i dey gbadun the babe comments cos its makes me smile. grin grin grin
i had even went as far as checking her profile to see how she looks but alas found no pic.

@ busi bodi : keep it up some of us dey feel you. ,  lol
as for the LATSMA GUY i feel so sad.
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by solosimple(m): 11:11am On May 14, 2009
If not for selfish motive, situations like this could
be avoided. All the law enforcement officer needs to
do is get the registration number of the vehicle
and this will safe life of the driver, passengers,
the law officer and other road users.

GOOD SUGGESTION!
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by Nobody: 11:27am On May 14, 2009
busi-bodi:

As if your sympathy matters.

Probably not.

Just as much as the death of the LASTMA officer matters to me.
People die daily, in different circumstances.

I'm a realist - I don't believe in praising a dead person, when in life, no one could find anything positive to say about him / her.
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by kalmebad(f): 11:30am On May 14, 2009
sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad

G8 mishap to his Family

May His Soul Rest In peace
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by vanariso(m): 12:02pm On May 14, 2009
I dont pity LASTMA officials.Infact am planning to maim one of them around Maryland and Etiebet place in Ikeja.They are heartless and worst than arm robbers.
I pray God judge the dead man according to his deeds, sure he will,He is not an hypocrite.
And to you all saying 'May his soul rest in peace,like we all like to say to the dead even when we know he has been wicked/bad while alive,so people could say you are nice, it doesnt matter or count what you say or prayed.God is not a Nigerian,and will not do OJORO or MAGOMAGO.
So do good while you are alive, If you die today and you are bad,1 Million 'may your soul rest in peace' from people will not save you from HELL. SHIKENA
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by Sagamite(m): 12:12pm On May 14, 2009
Siena:

Probably not.

Just as much as the death of the LASTMA officer matters to me.
People die daily, in different circumstances.

I'm a realist - I don't believe in praising a dead person, when in life, no one could find anything positive to say about him / her.

Abi o!
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by chuxy12(m): 1:15pm On May 14, 2009
i hope they will learn from that bad accident. And desist from doing stupid things in the name of egunje grin
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by busibodi(f): 1:54pm On May 14, 2009

see the big picture:

No matter what there will always be people to say something good or bad about any dead person.

meanwhile i dey gbadun the babe comments cos its makes me smile.
i had even went as far as checking her profile to see how she looks but alas found no pic.

And thats suppose to make me do what?
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by uchvic(m): 3:09pm On May 14, 2009
He lost his life for a little tips who knows?

oders should learn from this hard lessons

its a pity. my sympathy to his family and the LASTMA.
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by BP(m): 5:06pm On May 14, 2009
As much as I appreciate the order LASTMA has brought to Lagos, I still think the bulk of their officials are nothing but glorified touts.

I have seen them harrass, intimidate and extort motorists over borderline and debatable issues.

I am not happy this guy died oh but if you have suffered innocently in the hands of LASTMA, you can't wish them anything good.

It is well even in the well
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by potiglo: 8:17pm On May 14, 2009
that was sympathetic but i think the lastma officials needs more training on how to arrest or carry out their jobs although it was initially said that most of the guys recruited into lastma are educated but it is not reflecting in their attitude at all, there was sometime a situation at marry land brt bus stop where i lastam official was dragging steering with a fully loaded fuel thanker on motion, it nearly cause a great accident, they behave as if citizen life is not important to they, i think they need moore training, or beating,
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by teefunk: 7:36pm On May 17, 2009
Besides other possible reasons why this LASTMA man risked his life and sadly lost it, I think poor training or lack of it is the cause. In Nigeria, safety is only used in the term "Road Safety" (to refer to the Federal Road Safety Corps) but never practised. I doubt LASTMA, like other law enforcement bodies provide safety training to their personnel. If they did, I wont be surprised that the typical mentality that safe practices are only for 'sissies' was what was going through the man's head. Overzealousness is also to blame; so many law enforcement personnel who think they've suddenly been made of steel the day they get their appointment letters. I can mention many road users who don't care about safety: the conductor hanging outside a moving bus, the policeman all dressed in black at night standing in the middle of a highway with no reflectors, the 'okada' rider without helmet weaving in and out of car traffic, the private driver not wearing a seatbelt, the pedestrian crossing right underneath a pedestrian bridge on a busy highway. The list is endless.
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by maedan(f): 8:48am On May 18, 2009
You think the "road safety" officials in Lagos are over-zealous? Try Abuja! They could outrun a ferrari anyday! And they are so mean, no amount of begging will help u - and no bribe neither. As for the Lastma guy killed, so sorry, too bad.
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by maddock(m): 12:33pm On May 18, 2009
So sad anyway for that life that was lost, my condolence to the family. But how can one start blaming the goverment for an issue like this. I dont think fashola sent any LASTMA officer to run after danfo or any vehicle for that matter, the LASTMA officer did that for his won personal gratification. Time and time over again the Commisioner in charge of that sector has always said for all to hear that a LASTMA or VIO officer donot have any right to enter your vehicle or drag your steering with you. The worst they can do is to take down your vehicle number as far as you are residing in lagos you cannt go scot free. And nobody should give me that line about not being paid well, he have an option of not accepting the job,than terrosing people because he felt he iis not well paid.

The truth of the matter is that they are some of those LASTMA officers that are very dedicated to their duty and if not for their presence in some strategic places there would be a whole loada problem, but most of them are just touts with the law backing them to extort money a lot times from intentional law breakers but so few a time innocent commuters.
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by Nimshi: 12:12pm On May 21, 2009
Quote from: busi-bodi on May 13, 2009, 11:36 AM

A_K_O:

What do you mean? Did you not read the part that said he was not aware of the flag?

Because, in a truly functioning state:

1) The LASTMA Officer wouldn't have needed to do a chase

2) The bus driver wouldn't have attempted to make a run for it: the cost of speeding away would have discouraged him, as well as the secure knowledge that he wouldn't have escaped being caught.

As we have the news item, there's nothing about the runaway driver; that, again, is a telling sign of the failure of the state, or the reporter, or both.

Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by travelxpat(m): 4:03pm On May 22, 2009
There are lots of traffic between the border of heaven and hell and i guess he can be usefull there now.I only pity those he left behind , cos he died in ACTIVE and selfish service.Just two months ago they ripped a man off the sum of 50k for one "dead" car that took one way.
may is sturborn soul rest in pEaCe
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by ohmsworld: 6:53am On Aug 11, 2009
It's tough feeling sorry for LASTMA folks as clearly seen from others in this forum. Especially if you've been an innocent victim of their greed. However, may his soul go to a better place where he can realize the evil of his previous ways and maybe return as an angel.

For LASTMA victims, there's group therapy at lastmasucks.com
Re: Death Of LASTMA Officer: Lesson For All by noblegas2(m): 6:41am On Aug 12, 2009
Although May d Almighty Allah have Mercy on Him but @ d same time, I kinda Think dat serves Him Right, Dey almost bleeped me Up 1 day, Na only by d Grace of God dat i walked away, dey dont have pity & dey Exploit mOtorists & stuffs, sad sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please I Need Directions To Tarkwa Bay Beach From Ikotun / Botswana Picture Gallery: Africa´s Economic Star Performer / Barbados

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.