Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,873 members, 7,798,921 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:21 PM

Resources For Young Writers - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Resources For Young Writers (7730 Views)

Awka Agog As Young Writers Celebrate Achebe. / Why Young Writers Need Their Own Association – Wole Adedoyin / Young Writers Prize Gets Better!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Resources For Young Writers by lordmans(m): 12:58pm On Apr 21, 2016
Babysho:
Guys I have a writing problem.
Whenever I am writing a piece and I need directions, sometimes I check novels of famous writers and I see how amazing their work is.....my 15weeks old novel immediately becomes bullshit to me; I feel like my use of vocabulary isn't good enough,my formally awesome story becomes nonsense....i quit instantly....

This has happened more than 15times guys what do i do?

If u must become 'successful' writing you need to develop more confidence n believe in yourself. Learn and build on d style n experience of d masters bt never compare ur works with their's cos evry writer has his or her own unique style. Ur deviation from d norms is what will stand u out from d crowd.

And u see one truth u are missing about those great works from d masters is a collaborative efforts of many masters. Some other experts like proofreaders, editors have had their inputs to polish the works to d shining masterpiece u now admire. As a newbie start ur book by writing without editing. By doing this u allow ur creativity to flow without censorship. When u are done writing the entire book, then start editing and ur rewrite. You can even outsource this to fresh eyes on microjob sites likw fiverr, odesk, upwork for peanuts. Their is an army of creative experts who will bring out d glow in ur work on those sites.

I think this will help. Just my own opinion though.

2 Likes

Re: Resources For Young Writers by Nobody: 2:10pm On Apr 21, 2016
UjSizzle:
Download a copy of Stephen King's
"On Writing: A memoir of the craft"

Promise it will be time we'll spent.
Great thread but I don't really like that book you suggested. I read on writing exactly four years ago and it discouraged me from writing. He said some really high falutin things like great writers are born and that the rest of us mere mortals can only aspire to be just good writers. Never read anything more conceited in my life. S.K started writing early in life. Many of us do not know what we are good at till much later in life but does that mean we don't have the right to aspire to greatness? - which I should also add is an entirely subjective thing. Anyway for inspiration I just read the Wikipedia pages of writers I admire or watch YouTube clips and realize they are just as human as the rest of us. Some are late bloomers(Lee Child, Murakami) Some are early starters (Stephen King, Helen Oyeyemi). Some were well read as kids (J.K Rowling) Some were not ( Kazuo Ishiguro).. So there's no preset requirement to be a writer other than you just simply love writing and hope to make a life out it someday.

1 Like

Re: Resources For Young Writers by UjSizzle(f): 3:09pm On Apr 21, 2016
Horayce:

Great thread but I don't really like that book you suggested. I read on writing exactly four years ago and it discouraged me from writing. He said some really high falutin things like great writers are born and that the rest of us mere mortals can only aspire to be just good writers. Never read anything more conceited in my life. S.K started writing early in life. Many of us do not know what we are good at till much later in life but does that mean we don't have the right to aspire to greatness? - which I should also add is an entirely subjective thing. Anyway for inspiration I just read the Wikipedia pages of writers I admire or watch YouTube clips and realize they are just as human as the rest of us. Some are late bloomers(Lee Child, Murakami) Some are early starters (Stephen King, Helen Oyeyemi). Some were well read as kids (J.K Rowling) Some were not ( Kazuo Ishiguro).. So there's no preset requirement to be a writer other than you just simply love writing and hope to make a life out it someday.
Well, whatever else you disliked he did give some really good tips smiley
Re: Resources For Young Writers by Ezemann(m): 4:51pm On Apr 21, 2016
alpontif:

artizanni@gmail.com
alright thanks
Re: Resources For Young Writers by Babysho(m): 5:38pm On Apr 21, 2016
UjSizzle:

Comparison never helps.
Here's something I've learned over time:

When you read a good book, ask yourself why you think the book is good. If you can answer that question then you don't just view writing as Art, you also approach it from a scientific POV.
Then ask yourself what you can do better than that writer.
It's worthy of note that there is no original story... really there isn't. There's only your own way of telling it.

You can start with short stories instead of novels.
Take a shot at it. Post online and let people critique your style.
Play with other styles... approach a story from different POVs and please do not stop writing until you're done writing. Self-doubt will never allow you complete anything because you think you're not good enough.
YOU ARE good enough, but like those writers you consider great, you have to write a lot and let your story find your voice smiley

Stop trying too hard and just go with the flow.
Best of luck.

Thank you very much. I needed this.
Re: Resources For Young Writers by Emeka71(m): 1:49am On Apr 22, 2016
UjSizzle:
Hi! This thread is for people who want to take their writing seriously and grow.

I stumble on a number of things on the web-- advice for young writers from masters in the Art.

Whether it's a download link or a snippet of an article, I'll try to keep this updated as I go.

For today here's Teju Cole's epistle (in 8 letters) for young writers in PDF format. It's about 40 pages long and shouldn't take you longer than an hour (slow readers) to go through. It's also free.
I hope you learn a thing or two from it.

Happy reading Ask Jide.

Title: Eight Letters to a Young Writer

https://wordsfollowme.files./2010/10/teju-cole-eight-letters-to-a-young-writer2.pdf
Re: Resources For Young Writers by Emeka71(m): 1:51am On Apr 22, 2016
UjSizzle:
Hi! This thread is for people who want to take their writing seriously and grow.

I stumble on a number of things on the web-- advice for young writers from masters in the Art.

Whether it's a download link or a snippet of an article, I'll try to keep this updated as I go.

For today here's Teju Cole's epistle (in 8 letters) for young writers in PDF format. It's about 40 pages long and shouldn't take you longer than an hour (slow readers) to go through. It's also free.

Happy reading

https://wordsfollowme.files./2010/10/teju-cole-eight-letters-to-a-young-writer2.pdf
Ask Jide.
Re: Resources For Young Writers by NevetsIbot(m): 12:33pm On Apr 22, 2016
alpontif:
I still wonder why people will spend a lot of time to write very excellent novels and works of fiction ( stories) , then put it in the public domain like nairaland, when they could have published it and made money from it.

I have read so many excellent stories here, and I can now understand why most creative people are not rich, they just have no business smarts.

If you have a very good write-up, novel, etc any genre, as long as it's interesting, and you want to publish it, And make steady money from it. Just send your manuscript to me, my publishing outfit will handle the rest, and within ten days, you will start making money. But make sure the manuscript you will send is not in the public domain, there are anti plagiarism softwares that will make sure of that, once it's in the public domain, it cannot be published as a book anymore.

Stop writing for free. Make money from your writing.
can i mail you? I'm an 18 year old writer and Im currently writing three novels. My thoughts have been on how to monetize the novels when I'm done
Re: Resources For Young Writers by Babysho(m): 8:00pm On Apr 22, 2016
OneManLegion:

Look, if you continue to compare the works of veteran literary titans to a neophyte writer like yourself, you'll merely continue the cycle starting and quitting.

You need to brush your own skills by learning a thing or two from those whose writing styles you admire, however, don't compare with yourself with anyone else.

Thank You but it's not easy for me to learn from them(looking for key points from novels) without seeing all my work as rubbish.
Re: Resources For Young Writers by alpontif(m): 9:11am On Apr 23, 2016
NevetsIbot:
can i mail you? I'm an 18 year old writer and Im currently writing three novels. My thoughts have been on how to monetize the novels when I'm done

yes, you can mail me at artizanni@gmail.com
Re: Resources For Young Writers by Chuksemi(m): 6:07pm On May 19, 2016
She died. embarassed
Re: Resources For Young Writers by Fantasyisland(f): 10:48pm On May 28, 2016
LarrySun:
Beautiful. Thanks, UjSizzle. This will help a lot.

Hello Larry, I tried reaching you a while back via the PM thingy.

I wanted to ask if you take on editing jobs.
Re: Resources For Young Writers by LarrySun(m): 9:22am On May 29, 2016
Fantasyisland:

Hello Larry, I tried reaching you a while back via the PM thingy.
I wanted to ask if you take on editing jobs.
I do, ma'am.
Contact me via larrysun4real@yahoo.com
Re: Resources For Young Writers by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jun 20, 2016
UjSizzle:
Something extra

https://www.nairaland.com/1231678/10-tips-how-write-lot
I don't know if that nairaland email stuff delivers. I need your help getting a kitten. Whatsapp 08165866252
Re: Resources For Young Writers by uzoexcel(m): 6:28pm On Apr 17, 2017
I love ur profile pic as well as status...just in case it changes lemme leave it here cheesy

UjSizzle:

Happy reading

Re: Resources For Young Writers by robosky02(m): 3:23pm On Jan 12
Ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Laws To Power!!! / Hatred / Capital Dreams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.