Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,133 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

Things You Need To Have Before You Venture Into Any Kind Of Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Things You Need To Have Before You Venture Into Any Kind Of Farming (2300 Views)

Estimated Cost Of Farming 1 Hectare Of Cassava / Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! / What Type Of Farming I Can Invest 100k And Make My Money Back Quick. Need Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things You Need To Have Before You Venture Into Any Kind Of Farming by Kalusam(m): 2:56pm On Nov 07, 2015
Lucrativeness of farming has been promoted by several bloggers, newspapers and "Agribusiness Consultants", so much that everyone, young and old, rich and poor, men and women are trooping towards it, in many cases blindly. This interest in farming is a good sign, but the concerns of what really drives young people towards farming remain. Below are 5 things to posses before going all out on agriculture in order to reap the much mentioned success in the sector.

1. Information/knowledge. How much knowledge about farming do you possess. Like any other profession, farming requires expertise, in fact it requires a great deal of expertise because of the dynamic aspects of agriculture. Information such as weather patterns, what crop to farm on what soil and when and how do one get the best market, are very important. If you are truly keen on going into farming, roll up your sleeves and learn first.

2. Passion. How much do you want to farm? What motivates you to become a farmer. Many young people are lured into the trade with the glossy stories of success in the media without acknowledging the potentially disastrous risks involved. If you are not so much into it, the returns wont be too much into you either. Without passion, you may totally lose interest and miss out of the opportunities in the Agribusiness sector after a first failed attempt.

3. Capital. Young people interested in farming encounter their first hurdle in terms of capital. This is normal. Remedy for this can be found in the many agricultural support loans being given out by organizations, banks and even the government. The most important thing is the information on how to access these financial services. However, I personally advise you make some money first from other sectors before venturing into farming, or if you have friends and family who will be ready to invest in you and your dreams then you are good to go!

4. Total Commitment. There is a new crop of young farmers who engage in farming “via proxy”, mobile phone farming or absentee farming. From my personal experience, this does not work at all. Even if you have a good farm manager, there a number of things that will go wrong without your actual presence. For greater rewards in farming, you need to be on site. If you are very busy, I advise you start out a small farm near your house, even on concrete floors you can grow in bags or plastic containers.

5. Persistence. You are more likely to be disappointed by your farm in the beginning. This is called the learning period and giving up should not be an option. Wrap the failures under the folder of experience and use it to become better. It is important to expect misfortunes and be ready for them. Just remember NEVER give up, even if you fail several times in your farming attempt despite receiving previous training know one thing...you are building yourself up for greater things, when other farmers see dangers you will see opportunities, those periods you will be the only one taking to the market and make good profit.

7 Likes

Re: Things You Need To Have Before You Venture Into Any Kind Of Farming by jethro2: 3:34pm On Nov 07, 2015
Kalusam:
Lucrativeness of farming has been promoted by several bloggers, newspapers and "Agribusiness Consultants", so much that everyone, young and old, rich and poor, men and women are trooping towards it, in many cases blindly. This interest in farming is a good sign, but the concerns of what really drives young people towards farming remain. Below are 5 things to posses before going all out on agriculture in order to reap the much mentioned success in the sector.
1. Information/knowledge. How much knowledge about farming do you possess. Like any other profession, farming requires expertise, in fact it requires a great deal of expertise because of the dynamic aspects of agriculture. Information such as weather patterns, what crop to farm on what soil and when and how do one get the best market, are very important. If you are truly keen on going into farming, roll up your sleeves and learn first.
2. Passion. How much do you want to farm? What motivates you to become a farmer. Many young people are lured into the trade with the glossy stories of success in the media without acknowledging the potentially disastrous risks involved. If you are not so much into it, the returns wont be too much into you either. Without passion, you may totally lose interest and miss out of the opportunities in the Agribusiness sector after a first failed attempt.
3. Capital. Young people interested in farming encounter their first hurdle in terms of capital. This is normal. Remedy for this can be found in the many agricultural support loans being given out by organizations, banks and even the government. The most important thing is the information on how to access these financial services. However, I personally advise you make some money first from other sectors before venturing into farming, or if you have friends and family who will be ready to invest in you and your dreams then you are good to go!
4. Total Commitment. There is a new crop of young farmers who engage in farming “via proxy”, mobile phone farming or absentee farming. From my personal experience, this does not work at all. Even if you have a good farm manager, there a number of things that will go wrong without your actual presence. For greater rewards in farming, you need to be on site. If you are very busy, I advise you start out a small farm near your house, even on concrete floors you can grow in bags or plastic containers.
5. Persistence. You are more likely to be disappointed by your farm in the beginning. This is called the learning period and giving up should not be an option. Wrap the failures under the folder of experience and use it to become better. It is important to expect misfortunes and be ready for them. Just remember NEVER give up, even if you fail several times in your farming attempt despite receiving previous training know one thing...you are building yourself up for greater things, when other farmers see dangers you will see opportunities, those periods you will be the only one taking to the market and make good profit.
Well said. Writing from experience
Re: Things You Need To Have Before You Venture Into Any Kind Of Farming by jasper7(m): 6:18pm On Nov 08, 2015
Kalusam:
I love this. As much as it's exciting to note that Nigerians are now looking in the way of Agric. It's also key to apprciate that Agric is in no way a get rich quick scheme.
Re: Things You Need To Have Before You Venture Into Any Kind Of Farming by agricentral(m): 9:33pm On Nov 08, 2015
jasper7:

I love this. As much as it's exciting to note that Nigerians are now looking in the way of Agric. It's also key to apprciate that Agric is in no way a get rich quick scheme.

Nigerians shld take note.

1 Like

Re: Things You Need To Have Before You Venture Into Any Kind Of Farming by SlimBrawnie(f): 11:50pm On Nov 08, 2015
Is honey business also part of agriculture? not really an apiculture but buying honey with the combs from the farmers and processing/packaging it yourself for sale. I want to invest in it as I've got experience in that already.
Re: Things You Need To Have Before You Venture Into Any Kind Of Farming by Kalusam(m): 6:11am On Jun 03, 2017
SlimBrawnie:
Is honey business also part of agriculture? not really an apiculture but buying honey with the combs from the farmers and processing/packaging it yourself for sale. I want to invest in it as I've got experience in that already.

Sure it is! Every process in the value chain of any form of Agriculture is Agribusiness, this reply may be coming late but am just curious: did you start the Apiculture business?

1 Like

Re: Things You Need To Have Before You Venture Into Any Kind Of Farming by Kalusam(m): 6:11am On Jun 03, 2017
Thinking of doing dry season farming and reap bountiful this year? Then join in our Consolidated Irrigation Pre-order today and get quality Irrigation equipment for darn cheap prices. Drip Kit| Spray tubes| Raingun Sprinklers.
See details : https://www.nairaland.com/2110962/pre-order-rain-guns-spraytubes-dripkits/7#57059276

Call/ Whatsapp Samuel on + 2347036931636