Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:20 PM

Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them (371035 Views)

Examining Talk That Jehovah's Witnesses Are The Only Ones Preaching Out There / Ghanaian Man Chases Jehovah's Witnesses Out Of His House By Stripping Unclad / What Is Your Reaction When Jehovah Witnesses Knock On Your Door? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (278) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by tunde1200(m): 5:48pm On Nov 08, 2015
Same here with me too.
I really like them and their ways of life they are very different from other christians.
Also they believed in one God like we Muslims.

iamrealdeji:
I'm a muslim but I love Jehovah Witnesses so much,they come to my house every sunday and we talk about life,afterlife etc,my mum is an Alhaja and she does too,she entertains Jehovah witness folks and even offers them food cos you just gotta like this people cos of the way they interact with everybody, they're very intelligent,hardworking and educated folks and they don't discriminate,they don't hate,they're just trying to change the world positively. To me,they're the best christians in the world. Also,i have learned a lot from those that come to my house

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by ZUBY77(m): 5:48pm On Nov 08, 2015
iamrealdeji:
I'm a muslim but I love Jehovah Witnesses so much,they come to my house every sunday and we talk about life,afterlife etc,my mum is an Alhaja and she does too,she entertains Jehovah witness folks and even offers them food cos you just gotta like this people cos of the way they interact with everybody, they're very intelligent,hardworking and educated folks and they don't discriminate,they don't hate,they're just trying to change the world positively. To me,they're the best christians in the world. Also,i have learned a lot from those that come to my house

You are right. Unlike the criminals who tell you to pay tax/tithe or go to hell

3 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by ItsTime4me(m): 5:48pm On Nov 08, 2015
major466:
Unfortunately Jehovah's witness's core doctrine contradicts the doctrines of the bible.
Can you kindly give some examples?
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by DebbyChris(f): 5:48pm On Nov 08, 2015
Jesus is the only way to the father(God) if u don't believe in him u are already condemn. No matter ur door to door preaching, not believing in Jesus has made that ur great art of preaching useless.

8 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by Nobody: 5:50pm On Nov 08, 2015
major466:
Jehovah witness for example do not believe that Jesus Christ is GOD. To them Jesus Christ is a created being just like arch Angel Micheal. This belief is contrary to John1:1.
KINDLY FIND HERE A BRIEF EXPLANATION. FOR DETAILS, VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT JW.ORG

Is Jesus Christ actually God?

John 17:3, RS: “[Jesus prayed to his Father:] This is eternal life, that they know thee the only true God [“who alone art truly God,” NE], and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent.” (Notice that Jesus referred not to himself but to his Father in heaven as “the only true God.”)

John 20:17, RS: “Jesus said to her [Mary Magdalene], ‘Do not hold me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brethren and say to them, I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” (So to the resurrected Jesus, the Father was God, just as the Father was God to Mary Magdalene. Interestingly, not once in Scripture do we find the Father addressing the Son as “my God.”)

Does John 1:1 prove that Jesus is God?

John 1:1, RS: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God [also KJ, JB, Dy, Kx, NAB].” NE reads “what God was, the Word was.” Mo says “the Logos was divine.” AT and Sd tell us “the Word was divine.” The interlinear rendering of ED is “a god was the Word.” NW reads “the Word was a god”; NTIV uses the same wording.

What is it that these translators are seeing in the Greek text that moves some of them to refrain from saying “the Word was God”? The definite article (the) appears before the first occurrence of the·osʹ (God) but not before the second. The articular (when the article appears) construction of the noun points to an identity, a personality, whereas a singular anarthrous (without the article) predicate noun before the verb (as the sentence is constructed in Greek) points to a quality about someone. So the text is not saying that the Word (Jesus) was the same as the God with whom he was but, rather, that the Word was godlike, divine, a god.

What did the apostle John mean when he wrote John 1:1? Did he mean that Jesus is himself God or perhaps that Jesus is one God with the Father? In the same chapter, verse 18, John wrote: “No one [“no man,” KJ, Dy] has ever seen God; the only Son [“the only-begotten god,” NW], who is in the bosom of the Father, he has made him known.” (RS) Had any human seen Jesus Christ, the Son? Of course! So, then, was John saying that Jesus was God? Obviously not. Toward the end of his Gospel, John summarized matters, saying: “These are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, [not God, but] the Son of God.”—John 20:31, RS.

Does Thomas’ exclamation at John 20:28 prove that Jesus is truly God?

John 20:28 (RS) reads: “Thomas answered him, ‘My Lord and my God!’”

There is no objection to referring to Jesus as “God,” if this is what Thomas had in mind. Such would be in harmony with Jesus’ own quotation from the Psalms in which powerful men, judges, were addressed as “gods.” (John 10:34, 35, RS; Ps. 82:1-6) Of course, Christ occupies a position far higher than such men. Because of the uniqueness of his position in relation to Jehovah, at John 1:18 (NW) Jesus is referred to as “the only-begotten god.” (See also Ro, By.) Isaiah 9:6 (RS) also prophetically describes Jesus as “Mighty God,” but not as the Almighty God. All of this is in harmony with Jesus’ being described as “a god,” or “divine,” at John 1:1 (NW, AT).

The context helps us to draw the right conclusion from this. Shortly before Jesus’ death, Thomas had heard Jesus’ prayer in which he addressed his Father as “the only true God.” (John 17:3, RS) After Jesus’ resurrection Jesus had sent a message to his apostles, including Thomas, in which he had said: “I am ascending . . . to my God and your God.” (John 20:17, RS)

8 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by deeptesting(m): 5:50pm On Nov 08, 2015
They have their internal issues like every other religious body. They are dogged and fanatical about their doctrines even though majority of them do not practice what they preach. their beliefs and doctrine is narrow minded.

For instance they believe JW is the only true religion and pretty sure if God`s Kingdom should come today only the 8 Million JWs in the world as mentioned by the OP if found not wanting will inherit the earth out of which the remnants of the 144,000 who will rule as kings and priest with Christ will be taken from. Now, look around the world and think of other fantastic people who belongs to other religious body,what will be their fate?

Would they be condemn to destruction? Or they will be assimilated and then taught the doctrine of the JWs?

4 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by Nobody: 5:51pm On Nov 08, 2015
major466:
Jehovah witness for example do not believe that Jesus Christ is GOD. To them Jesus Christ is a created being just like arch Angel Micheal. This belief is contrary to John1:1.
KINDLY FIND HERE A BRIEF EXPLANATION. FOR DETAILS, VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT WWW.JW.ORG, or speak with a witness close to you

Is Jesus Christ actually God?

John 17:3, RS: “[Jesus prayed to his Father:] This is eternal life, that they know thee the only true God [“who alone art truly God,” NE], and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent.” (Notice that Jesus referred not to himself but to his Father in heaven as “the only true God.”)

John 20:17, RS: “Jesus said to her [Mary Magdalene], ‘Do not hold me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brethren and say to them, I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” (So to the resurrected Jesus, the Father was God, just as the Father was God to Mary Magdalene. Interestingly, not once in Scripture do we find the Father addressing the Son as “my God.”)

Does John 1:1 prove that Jesus is God?

John 1:1, RS: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God [also KJ, JB, Dy, Kx, NAB].” NE reads “what God was, the Word was.” Mo says “the Logos was divine.” AT and Sd tell us “the Word was divine.” The interlinear rendering of ED is “a god was the Word.” NW reads “the Word was a god”; NTIV uses the same wording.
What is it that these translators are seeing in the Greek text that moves some of them to refrain from saying “the Word was God”? The definite article (the) appears before the first occurrence of the·osʹ (God) but not before the second. The articular (when the article appears) construction of the noun points to an identity, a personality, whereas a singular anarthrous (without the article) predicate noun before the verb (as the sentence is constructed in Greek) points to a quality about someone. So the text is not saying that the Word (Jesus) was the same as the God with whom he was but, rather, that the Word was godlike, divine, a god.
What did the apostle John mean when he wrote John 1:1? Did he mean that Jesus is himself God or perhaps that Jesus is one God with the Father? In the same chapter, verse 18, John wrote: “No one [“no man,” KJ, Dy] has ever seen God; the only Son [“the only-begotten god,” NW], who is in the bosom of the Father, he has made him known.” (RS) Had any human seen Jesus Christ, the Son? Of course! So, then, was John saying that Jesus was God? Obviously not. Toward the end of his Gospel, John summarized matters, saying: “These are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, [not God, but] the Son of God.”—John 20:31, RS.

Does Thomas’ exclamation at John 20:28 prove that Jesus is truly God?

John 20:28 (RS) reads: “Thomas answered him, ‘My Lord and my God!’”
There is no objection to referring to Jesus as “God,” if this is what Thomas had in mind. Such would be in harmony with Jesus’ own quotation from the Psalms in which powerful men, judges, were addressed as “gods.” (John 10:34, 35, RS; Ps. 82:1-6) Of course, Christ occupies a position far higher than such men. Because of the uniqueness of his position in relation to Jehovah, at John 1:18 (NW) Jesus is referred to as “the only-begotten god.” (See also Ro, By.) Isaiah 9:6 (RS) also prophetically describes Jesus as “Mighty God,” but not as the Almighty God. All of this is in harmony with Jesus’ being described as “a god,” or “divine,” at John 1:1 (NW, AT).
The context helps us to draw the right conclusion from this. Shortly before Jesus’ death, Thomas had heard Jesus’ prayer in which he addressed his Father as “the only true God.” (John 17:3, RS) After Jesus’ resurrection Jesus had sent a message to his apostles, including Thomas, in which he had said: “I am ascending . . . to my God and your God.” (John 20:17, RS)

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by Caspian22(m): 5:51pm On Nov 08, 2015
I'm also very proud to be a Jehovah's witness. I felt very happy reading the positive comments about us. I hope the Governing Body sees this.
I just want to say that I was not born a witness But I became a witness because They gave me something positive to believe in.

8 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by ItsTime4me(m): 5:52pm On Nov 08, 2015
If you want to get more facts about Jehovah's witnesses, kindly visit www.jw.org. From this site you can get answers to most questions that puzzling mankind today.

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by alexis(m): 5:52pm On Nov 08, 2015
Nicolars:

That's actually what you think

They also believe in trinity

No they don't. Your are being dis-honest if you say they do. Their awake magazines and releases are filled with the denial of such
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by CChine(m): 5:53pm On Nov 08, 2015
There is one thing I love about this people "they love each other". I wud hv join them, but I believe in mama's prayer. So anything mama believe in, I do.

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by gagewonda(m): 5:54pm On Nov 08, 2015
Op I beg to differ a little bit. I use to love d jw's nd always get angry wen pple discriminate against dem nd say bad tins abt dem. Bt dat changed wen I dated a jw we dated for two yrs nd dat gave me d opportunity to really get close to dem nd I really saw d opposite. Jw r d ones dat discriminate against oda christian far from my previous belief, dey call oda christians "them" the unrighteous who gave u pple d right to judge? From getting close u pple behave more like a cult dan a religion, u pple destroyed d best love I eva had becos I was not of ur fold. U pple purnished her by reproving her nd she almost risked disfellowshiped becos she refused letting go of an unrighteous. I can go on nd on although u pple have ur good side bt don't make u all look like u r all good cos u r not. D sin in d jw fold is worse dan sodom nd gomorrah cos I can tell u I knw jw lesbians nd hw many of u guys sleep wit eachoda in d name of broda sister I hav come to knw a lot bt war freaks me is despite all dis u call odas unrighteous

12 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by gasgenius(m): 5:54pm On Nov 08, 2015
menxer:
This is truly an eye opener. So Jehovah witnesses is not a religious organization but a religion.

Since they don't owe allegiance to the government, do they resort to their "fellow servants of God" instead of the Judiciary to endorse/enforce contractual agreement?

So the millions of Jews Hitler killed is insignificant compared to 1600 jehovah witnesses?

Brb
Go ask ur pastor
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by feeloscar(m): 5:54pm On Nov 08, 2015
EVILFOREST:
I WITNESS JEHOVAH but am not a member.
I LOVE them so much because,
---Of all the CHRISTAIN denominations....
They are the MOST Enlightened, Educated, Exposed.
It is usually difficult to SPOT the Illiterates among them.

They train their KIDS to be resourceful in future
They are good at PUBLIC SPEAKING.
They dress modest.
They rarely give in, to the changes of the new age.

They study the BIBLE more than any other denomination.

Above all they have the BEST EVANGELISM network, involving both the rich and the poor. (youngest and oldest)
Their CLERGYMEN talk cautiously, unlike many others who talk back at the congregation carelessly.
Never MONEY driven nor conscious.

I always entertained them right from my CHILDHOOD and I have learnt a lot.
I just wish I can worship GOD, the way they do.
MOST times I feel ashamed as a christain when I see them.
I hope to pay them a visit soonest.

I Love them.
Same here
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by Ajagbe74: 5:54pm On Nov 08, 2015
Though.not widely accepted in Christiandom.i still prefer their doctrine to others.am a Muslim nevertheless.they are Christlike

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by tunesoft(m): 5:55pm On Nov 08, 2015
They don't do blood transfusion. Why?
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by Nobody: 5:55pm On Nov 08, 2015
I like Jehovah witness but I dislike two things about them.

1. They believe they are always right.

2. They will never attend your invite, but will want u to spend time with them...

4 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by jesussaves22: 5:55pm On Nov 08, 2015
jesussaves22:
Jehova witness are anti christ quote me any where.... They are evil. The love the things of the world very much. They dont believe in heaven. They are founded by rusell who is a member of freemansry. Google on rusell doctrine and post rusell doctrine. Read the interview of Rusell wife after rusell was buried. Read of the symbol in rusell grave and check the symbol use by church of satan. And the symbol in awake.... Do you know why michael jackson left jehova witness?
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by dolphinheart(m): 5:55pm On Nov 08, 2015
Kennitrust:
if u don't sale your magazine, why then do they always demand for a "stipend" to make for each magazine u required?

They dnt sell their magazines, they dnt always demand for stipents but ask if you want to support the publication .
Note, the watchtower is published 2 twice a month in 254 languages. It costs money.
The public edition of the watchtower presently has an average print of nearly 59 million copies every month.
The study edition has 15 million.
This does not come easy for an organization that does not collect tithe or praise rich men.

5 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by Amustical(m): 5:55pm On Nov 08, 2015
Who said jehovah witneses don't pray with other christians? They have prayed with more and more. Forget about sentiment. The best God witness so far is The Jehovah witness. They are far more spreading the gospel far more better than those other tribe. Am a christian and if you ask why jehovah witness won't come to ur church is the same way you ask yourslf why most of you and ur pastors always preach against we celestial church of christ memebers, anglicans, cherubim and sheraphim. And other orthodox churches. Then you will find answers to your criticizism. Proudly celestial. And a hard core fans of JW

7 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by gudluckgreat(m): 5:56pm On Nov 08, 2015
Lol I calmly sat to read comments. In all I must commend the JWs cos I have a very good friend who is a witness who showed me what it really means to study and think beyond normal.

But there is one thing I can summarize about their ills.
JWs understand the bible mostly literally and not spiritually. There are many things they view and examplify it with what is on ground now when in true sense understanding that issue only makes meaning spiritually.
They don't follow others to pray and the excuse my friend gave me is that you don't call or pray to God publicly.

3 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by alexis(m): 5:56pm On Nov 08, 2015
Nicolars:
Jw ar actually not bad

People just critisizes them bcus they preach d truth

And wat now surprises me is dat, no matter wat they say, they always back it up with d bible, hw come they ar false xtians

Several things you don't know about Jehovah witnesses:

1. Many of their founders have predicted the world would come to an end several times - It didn't. These are actual Jehovah witness publications. They predicted the end of the world and the time Jesus would began his rule in 1878, 1914. They have made several other predictions that haven't come to pass. The Bible said you will know a false prophet based on the predictions he made. If he says something and it doesn't come to pass, that prophet was never from God.
2. They claim that only 144,000 people will go to heaven. The Bible never claimed only 144,000 will go to heaven. This is another false statement.
3. They always change their stance on blood transfusion - they have banned it for several years, now they are allowing it, later then will change it.
4. They teach that Jesus was just a man while on earth. While in heaven He was and is, Michael the Archangel. The Bible never claimed such
5. The reject and deny the trinity

There are so many things that JW differ with biblical Christian belief. That being said, I respect them and their dedication - others can learn from it

6 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by ItsTime4me(m): 5:57pm On Nov 08, 2015
Please note that www.jw.org is the ONLY official website of Jehovah's witnesses. Feel free to visit it and you will be glad you did.

2 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by greatiyk4u(m): 5:58pm On Nov 08, 2015
naughtynaughty:
in oda words, unbelivers r goin to where? Heaven? Of dey r just goin to hell to b gisting since ders no hell fire? 7days adventist(dunno d name abeg) nd jehova witness r in d same group. R u guys part of CAN?

Shut up......d topic of discussion is beyond ur IQ
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by Nobody: 5:58pm On Nov 08, 2015
iyke2ken:

Baba, no vex, you be Jéhovah witness. I refuse to be scammed

Am an ardent ANGLICAN but widely traveled and exposed

2 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by Nobody: 5:59pm On Nov 08, 2015
DebbyChris:
Jesus is the only way to the father(God) if u don't believe in him u are already condemn. No matter ur door to door preaching, not believing in Jesus has made that ur great art of preaching useless.

We do believe in Jesus
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by Lovine: 5:59pm On Nov 08, 2015
I am proud to be a Born again child of God in Jesus Christ not a Catholic, JW, Pentecostal, etc
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by Excellentmind: 6:00pm On Nov 08, 2015
Op, please elucidate on the fanatical tendencies of Jehovah Witness as it affects marriage.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by achorladey: 6:00pm On Nov 08, 2015
The simplest of answer for Trinity is found in John 3:16 For God(Jehovah) so love the world that he gave his only begotten son(Jesus]....... So hw all of a sudden he becomes Father again. last time I checked it is impossible for God to lie.

3 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by xklucvG: 6:00pm On Nov 08, 2015
major466:
Unfortunately Jehovah's witness's core doctrine contradicts the doctrines of the bible.
Lie.

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by oluwaseun23(m): 6:01pm On Nov 08, 2015
A synergy of someone with evangelistic spirit of a JW, simplicity and moral consciousness of a Deeper lifer, and prayerfulness of an MFM member, is something close to a perfect Christian.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by aydotaone(m): 6:01pm On Nov 08, 2015
EVILFOREST:
I WITNESS JEHOVAH but am not a member.
I LOVE them so much because,
---Of all the CHRISTAIN denominations....
They are the MOST Enlightened, Educated, Exposed.
It is usually difficult to SPOT the Illiterates among them.

They train their KIDS to be resourceful in future
They are good at PUBLIC SPEAKING.
They dress modest.
They rarely give in, to the changes of the new age.

They study the BIBLE more than any other denomination.

Above all they have the BEST EVANGELISM network, involving both the rich and the poor. (youngest and oldest)
Their CLERGYMEN talk cautiously, unlike many others who talk back at the congregation carelessly.
Never MONEY driven nor conscious.

I always entertained them right from my CHILDHOOD and I have learnt a lot.
I just wish I can worship GOD, the way they do.
MOST times I feel ashamed as a christain when I see them.
I hope to pay them a visit soonest.

I Love them.

You have just spoken my mind
May Jehovah bless them

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (278) (Reply)

Sincere Milk — "The Most Essential Task" / Nairaland Bible Quiz-you can join anytime... / Dreams And Their Meanings/ Interpretation

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.