Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,715 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:51 AM

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) - Sports (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) (85647 Views)

The Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: Poland 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup / Falconets Qualify For U-20 World Cup (Photos) / The Golden Eaglets Of Nigeria Thread: U-17 World Cup (India 2017) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by mikron(m): 4:45pm On Jul 24, 2016
Hope u all remember this picture? saw it while surfing through my Archives ... May God continue to bless his Memory.. Late Coach TELLA who took these lads to d U17 world cup. then...CHRISANTUS MACAULAY won the golden booth...he also doubled as d MVP of d tournament.... A Ghanaian with d silver booth... Nd Tony Kroos with d bronze booth...
Fastforward>>>>>> 9yrs later... Tony Kross the winner of the bronze booth is worth more than 50million pounds... Bt the GOLDEN & SILVER BOOTH WINNERS are nowhere to b found...which way Africa?
My humble question is... Is AFRICAN FOOTBALL BEEN BEWITCHED?
AM totally confused... What's happening to us in Africa... Especially NIGERIA...
Critical analysis pls

Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:47pm On Jul 24, 2016
Icon4s:

A good number of d boys dat won dat CAF U23 were nt part of those build up games.

point is they were over 23 and still couldn't beat this team, twice.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by Icon4s(m): 4:48pm On Jul 24, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

If we are talking of the main competition, then I am for calling the pros. The African Championship I think, falls during the season and clubs will not release their promising players.

As soon as I saw that these boys stopped training, then I knew there was going to be a problem.

But since d pros are on break now why nt engage them to secure qualification for AYC.

U remember Iheanacho was part of d AYC qualifiers bt was nt available for the AYC.

When it comes to U17 we try to field d best bt at U20 we will field green horns.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by Icon4s(m): 4:52pm On Jul 24, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

point is they were over 23 and still couldn't beat this team, twice.

A pointer that we are in for a disappointing outing in Rio.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:37pm On Jul 24, 2016
Icon4s:

But since d pros are on break now why nt engage them to secure qualification for AYC.

U remember Iheanacho was part of d AYC qualifiers bt was nt available for the AYC.

When it comes to U17 we try to field d best bt at U20 we will field green horns.

I do not think quality of players was the reason we did not qualify. Unless maybe the effect of the NFF abandoning them to struggle. The pitch's poor condition would have a worse effect on the Foreign Pros too.

I think it is time the NFF face the truth. The current board is failing woefully. If they do not take preparations seriously, then they are putting the tournament in jeopardy.

Just like the way Manu Garba and his U17 boys are battling to make something out of the little they have. It is just too bad for our National team.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:41pm On Jul 24, 2016
Icon4s:

A pointer that we are in for a disappointing outing in Rio.

No that is why we lost, us Nigerians are fund of playing the games on paper forgeting that there is a real 90 minutes to be played. In football anything can happen they didn't lose to a disabled team those sudanese wanted to win also.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:56pm On Jul 24, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

No that is why we lost, us Nigerians are fund of playing the games on paper forgeting that there is a real 90 minutes to be played. In football anything can happen they didn't lose to a disabled team those sudanese wanted to win also.

And players striking for three days against A Sudanese team that wanted to win affected our performance. Those boys were not in the right frame of mind. That is not the kind of attitude a team should be before such an important game.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by Napoleon55(m): 6:10pm On Jul 24, 2016
It's high time we introduce U-18,U-19 teams in our football calendar. Not every year we won U-17 world cup,we rushed them straight to U-20 without allowing them to develop properly.
That's why European players will always be more technically better than us.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by goldfish80(m): 6:13pm On Jul 24, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

It was easy to tell who understood what to do to push our football forward. Amaju Pinnick wanted Coach Keshi out. Coach Keshi Won his last two games before Pinnick sacked him. After disrupting the team, Coach Keshi was reinstated and Uche forced on Coach Keshi. That disrupted the camp and affected the team.

Maigari wanted to kept Keshi. Giwa insisted on keeping Keshi. Just as he is insisting on keeping Salisu.

Yet we get these disruptive attitude from Amaju Pinnick insisting a cash strapped agency should hire a foreign coach. Neglecting the challenges the body faces.

Our football is in tartars. Whatever gains we made durring the Maigari era has been reversed 360°... The distractions from Giwa's crew is another valid excuse with the court cases and all that. This present board and the technical department has failed to keep things I check. Even if Pinick was goofing, the technical department with heads like Ikpeba, Lawal, Paul Bassey etc are renowned, they should have done better.

Pinick is just a politician not a technocrat. I have always said that the technical department of any FA should be the strongest with possibly the best heads of technocrats. It beats me why people like Odegbami and Adokie Amasiamaka is not on board. Joe Erico should be on that technical department too. We need to somehow augument for the loss of Shuaibu moving forward.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by goldfish80(m): 6:22pm On Jul 24, 2016
mikron:
Hope u all remember this picture? saw it while surfing through my Archives ... May God continue to bless his Memory.. Late Coach TELLA who took these lads to d U17 world cup. then...CHRISANTUS MACAULAY won the golden booth...he also doubled as d MVP of d tournament.... A Ghanaian with d silver booth... Nd Tony Kroos with d bronze booth...
Fastforward>>>>>> 9yrs later... Tony Kross the winner of the bronze booth is worth more than 50million pounds... Bt the GOLDEN & SILVER BOOTH WINNERS are nowhere to b found...which way Africa?
My humble question is... Is AFRICAN FOOTBALL BEEN BEWITCHED?
AM totally confused... What's happening to us in Africa... Especially NIGERIA...
Critical analysis pls
That's Ramsford Osei of Ghana. The young man was probably in his 30s durring that championship. The last I heard of him was when he played for a Malaysian team. By the way, failure of these sort of youth championships is not just an African thing. Even the German team that produced Kroos, you will struggle to name more than 3 other players who have gone to play for the German national team apart from Kroos. Even the Spanish team we defeated in the finals, apart from De gea and Bojan you will struggle to name a few other who have represented their national team.

I think Nigerians over celebrate these youthful tourneys thinking football development is all about winning U17 and U20 tournaments. The key is having a strong league and having proper academys. You can win all the U17s in the world, without having solid foundation and a good league, you will always be found out when it matters most.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by goldfish80(m): 6:28pm On Jul 24, 2016
Napoleon55:
It's high time we introduce U-18,U-19 teams in our football calendar. Not every year we won U-17 world cup,we rushed them straight to U-20 without allowing them to develop properly.
Wafu and Caf should be thinking along these lines. Between 17 - 21 is the age when footballers are shaped and roles clearly defined. Without having proper developments at these age groups Africa will never win the World Cup.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by Napoleon55(m): 6:31pm On Jul 24, 2016
It's high time we become more serious with U-20 completion than any other competitions.
This is where the real players are been born,MARADONA,MESSI,MIKEL,RONALDINHO,POGBA,XAVI,ETC.
This competition produces more great players than the U-17.

Any time we r able to produce good U-20 team consecutively for at least 3 editions,just b rest assured that it must reflect on our Senior team without any doubt.
It has happened in the past.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by mikron(m): 6:41pm On Jul 24, 2016
goldfish80:

That's Ramsford Osei of Ghana. The young man was probably in his 30s durring that championship. The last I heard of him was when he played for a Malaysian team. By the way, failure of these sort of youth championships is not just an African thing. Even the German team that produced Kroos, you will struggle to name more than 3 other players who have gone to play for the German national team apart from Kroos. Even the Spanish team we defeated in the finals, apart from De gea and Bojan you will struggle to name a few other who have represented their national team.

I think Nigerians over celebrate these youthful tourneys thinking football development is all about winning U17 and U20 tournaments. The key is having a strong league and having proper academys. You can win all the U17s in the world, without having solid foundation and a good league, you will always be found out when it matters most.
i concur totally with u, its sad, really sad. yes ransford osei, that was the ghanaian's name.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:21pm On Jul 24, 2016
Napoleon55:
It's high time we become more serious with U-20 completion than any other competitions.
This is where the real players are been born,MARADONA,MESSI,MIKEL,RONALDINHO,POGBA,XAVI,ETC.

Any time we r able to produce good U-20 team consecutively for at least 3 editions,just b rest assured that it must reflect on our Senior team without any doubt.

Mikel played U17. Ronaldinho played the U17. There are many great players who played the U17. The problem we have is that, if the players do not win trophies, we discard them.

Fabregas, David Silva played in the U17.

Our problems have never been the talents but lack of support. Making it here is a tough battle.

That is why I hope their U17 Title rewards are released to these boys so they can use it to run around for clubs.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:24pm On Jul 24, 2016
I just watched Amunike's interview and he made no excuses. I respect that.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by Icon4s(m): 8:02pm On Jul 24, 2016
Napoleon55:

Good observation.

In Europe they have the U17s-which are made up of cadet/academy players, U19 and U21.

However, while d European tourneys take place in even years FIFA tourneys take place in odd years.

Eg team to represent Europe in 2017 WYC would play d U19 this year, 2016. This implies dat players that represented European teams at last U17 would b 18 & below. This makes it possible for several European players dat played against Iheanacho's U17 set 3 yrs ago to feature at d U19s. But mean-while we are already fielding Awoniyi, and co as U23s.Thereby creating that gap in experience for an 18/19 yr old playing as U23. Only exceptional players can do well under this condition.

The European players would have a proper structured growth.

CAF needs to restructure its age grade programmes to something similar to those of Europe where the U19 & U21 tourneys are held at d end of season and with dat u expect a full house for d teams.

Likes of Awoniyi, Mathew, Yahaya, Sadiq, Nura, K. Nwakali, Osimhen, Chukwueze for instance should be with d U19.

While Likes of Success, Iheanacho, Simon, Ndidi, Iwobi, should even b playing U21 and nt even U23.
If dey play together at age grade levels from U17, U19, & U21 they can better bond and blend at d senior level.

I have had several arguments with peeps here on relationship between age and a player's performance.. And i still solidly stand by it. What Amuneke presented as U20 is U18. Yes cos the oldest player in that team, K. Nwakali jst clocked 18.

I personally believe in structured development for players.

As long as the development of these youngsters is always zigzag we will hardly get it right.

cc:TheGoodJoe
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by Icon4s(m): 8:08pm On Jul 24, 2016
Napoleon55:

Spot on bro.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by forgiveness: 8:27pm On Jul 24, 2016
5 REASONS WHY FLYING EAGLES CRASHED OUT

Nigeria’s Flying Eagles will not be in Zambia next year to defend the U20 AFCON trophy they won last year after they were shocked out of the qualifiers by Sudan.

The excitement of having won a record fifth U17 World Cup in Chile in November got the better of coach Emmanuel Amuneke, his assistants and even the players, who felt they have arrived on the world football stage after what they had achieved in South America.

They probably equated the demands of U17 football to that what is expected of a team at a higher U20 level, where the players are a lot more matured with some even knocking on the door of the full international side.

Such thinking almost derailed coach Manu Garba last year, before he welcomed superior ideas to open his team to players outside those he has previously worked with at the U17 cadre.

The wrong assumption that there is not much difference between U17 and U20 has affected over time the appointment of the coaches for the Flying Eagles as well as the faulty selection of players for the country’s youth team.

Poor tactics

On a day the rains poured down on Lagos, Amuneke got his tactics totally wrong by still insisting on the boys playing his passing game on a waterlogged pitch, while the more experienced and bigger Sudanese chose the more practical kick and rush style to their advantage.

The Flying Eagles lack of size certainly did not help their cause as they always played second best to their opponents even after they reduced to 10 men midway in the second half.

When it was 3-3, Amuneke should have shut the game as a draw was enough to qualify Nigeria.

Is Amuneke really the tactical genius he has been packaged as?

Team not good enough

The Flying Eagles Class of 2016 did not have the quality and had they managed to advance to Zambia 2017, they would have been badly exposed by better teams at the AFCON finals.

Even at the U17 level, what got them going was their raw determination, the goals of Victor Osimhen as well as their conditioning.

The team were shut out from other players even after a much-advertised screening exercise as Amuneke insisted on working with only the players he tinkered at the U17 level.

This killed the competitive spirit in the team as players in Amuneke’s U17 pool were always considered ahead of those who were outside this group.

Team selection was biased and there was hardly a serious consideration for the physical size of the players especially in key positions like goalkeeper, defensive midfield and central defence.

It must say something about the quality in this team that after all the hype and expectations, only a handful of these players have since secured contracts overseas.

Goalkeeper Akpan Udoh was safe at U17 level, but was clearly exposed at a higher level, the team’s defence was below average, skipper Kelechi Nwakali failed to shine after he was named MVP at the U17 level and Osimhen could not reproduce the magic that fetched him a pro deal a top Bundesliga club Wolfsburg.

Both players, coaches lost focus

At last year’s U17 World Cup, these same boys had fought like wounded lions to make a name for themselves even when they had not received any allowances and bonuses.

Their character and focus were praised, but only eight months later, it was a different story altogether after it got out to the media that they threatened to boycott Saturday’s match over unpaid monies.

Attitude and discipline were sacrificed for immediate financial gains.

“They lost the game even before they kicked the ball because suddenly they lost their focus and drive,” a top former international told AfricanFootball.com

It was also understood that several of these players openly challenged the instructions of their coaches with Amuneke also angling to be Super Eagles coach after he was brought on board in an interim capacity for the AFCON qualifiers against Egypt in March.

For Amuneke, it was not about qualifying for the AFCON, but winning the elusive U20 World Cup in South Korea next year.

It is possible nobody really told him that you first have to qualify for the AFCON before you could start targeting the World Cup.

Inexperience and lack of exposure

At the U20 level, experience is a major factor and these Flying Eagles lacked it because most of the players are still with academies with not one of them playing even in the lower Nigeria National League.

It was only three years ago that the likes of Paul Pogba and Kurt Zouma helped France to win the U20 World Cup in Turkey and today they have established themselves at Juventus and Chelsea, respectively.

Amuneke’s team prepared for these qualifiers by playing mediocre academies around Abuja with their only tough test games being against the country’s U23 team.

Matches against Premier League sides like FC IfeanyiUbah, which could have toughened them and got them the much-needed experience and exposure, were rejected outrightly.

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) would have done better by arranging for test matches in neigbouring countries like Benin and Ghana as was the case in previous years.

Probably, these big wins in their friendlies mostly at their training base deluded them into thinking they were unbeatable until Sudan delivered the sucker punch right in front of their home fans.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/2/841325881?-18946:4882:3

@bolded na em I don dey talk teeee... tey. Una don see am? grin

When I talk say I no see anything better for that Amunike's boys except for one or two players, somebories wanna kill me for here. They even called me names. Hahaha! grin

When I talk say na only pass pass na em the Amunike's boys take win. Many bories wan kwench me kwa. Hehehe! grin

Me wey I do vigile to watch and study those Amunike's boys 4 midnight, I come conclude say na mediocre players full the the team. Chai! grin

I remember 1993 U17, as I see Kanu nwankwo, I don see say na talent. Even though Wilson Oruma shine pass, I still know say na Kanu be ogbonge for that team but this one, shior! I no see.

The day I hear say na Amunike be the coach of U20, I tear 4-4ty commot 4 dis thread 4 am because I don know wetin em go do. grin

Don't ask me because I no go talk am. grin

Chai!
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by Icon4s(m): 8:29pm On Jul 24, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Mikel played U17. Ronaldinho played the U17. There are many great players who played the U17. The problem we have is that, if the players do not win trophies, we discard them.

Fabregas, David Silva played in the U17.

Our problems have never been the talents but lack of support. Making it here is a tough battle.

That is why I hope their U17 Title rewards are released to these boys so they can use it to run around for clubs.

I agree with Napoleon55 on this.

We celebrate too much our U17 titles and go to sleep at U20.

We take d pains to do a thorough screening process for d U17 bt when it comes to U20 we jst promote d previous U17 & shot out other players.
Etebor, Ajayi and Azubuike could have played d 2015 U20 bt were dey considered? Can Akinjide Idowu's game level b compaired with dat of Azubuike? Compare Sokari with Etebor and Junior Ajayi had always been ahead of Awoniyi.

Yes a couple of stars have played at d U17 bt d age where d real stars emerge is d U20.
Remember our argument some time ago where I maintained only few U17 graduates get to play at senior level? The U20 crop are d ones dat usually more likely graduate to senior level.

Producing 2 consecutive world smashing U17 classes has nt led to an U20 success.
And also as Napoleon55 said lets produce 2 or 3 consecutive U20 & see whether it will nt impact positively on d Super Eagles. Ghana's 2009 U20 success directly influenced their 2010 performance.

Until we start taking the U20 serious we will keep failing.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:22pm On Jul 24, 2016
Icon4s:

I agree with Napoleon55 on this.

We celebrate too much our U17 titles and go to sleep at U20.

We take d pains to do a thorough screening process for d U17 bt when it comes to U20 we jst promote d previous U17 & shot out other players.
Etebor, Ajayi and Azubuike could have played d 2015 U20 bt were dey considered? Can Akinjide Idowu's game level b compaired with dat of Azubuike? Compare Sokari with Etebor and Junior Ajayi had always been ahead of Awoniyi.

Yes a couple of stars have played at d U17 bt d age where d real stars emerge is d U20.
Remember our argument some time ago where I maintained only few U17 graduates get to play at senior level? The U20 crop are d ones dat usually more likely graduate to senior level.

Producing 2 consecutive world smashing U17 classes has nt led to an U20 success.
And also as Napoleon55 said lets produce 2 or 3 consecutive U20 & see whether it will nt impact positively on d Super Eagles. Ghana's 2009 U20 success directly influenced their 2010 performance.

Until we start taking the U20 serious we will keep failing.

You are missing something. This failure today is not down to quality. They were good enough to qualify. The problem was down to neglect.

Trying to make it look as if it is because it is the promotion of the U17.

I disagree.

This was a case of mismanagement. How can the NFF abandon the team like that and we are talking of Promoting players.

They did not train for three days. That is enough to disrupt the team.

It is the same case for long. If the U20 is the real deal as you guys make it, how many Nigeria '99 Stars from Spain had a long reign in the National team? Only Xavi to the best of my knowledge.

Brazil of 2003.

If talents are mismanaged, they waste Amaju Pinnick did not take this team seriously. Just as he is maltreating the current U17 team.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:33pm On Jul 24, 2016
Icon4s:

Good observation.

In Europe they have the U17s-which are made up of cadet/academy players, U19 and U21.

However, while d European tourneys take place in even years FIFA tourneys take place in odd years.

Eg team to represent Europe in 2017 WYC would play d U19 this year, 2016. This implies dat players that represented European teams at last U17 would b 18 & below. This makes it possible for several European players dat played against Iheanacho's U17 set 3 yrs ago to feature at d U19s. But mean-while we are already fielding Awoniyi, and co as U23s.Thereby creating that gap in experience for an 18/19 yr old playing as U23. Only exceptional players can do well under this condition.

The European players would have a proper structured growth.

CAF needs to restructure its age grade programmes to something similar to those of Europe where the U19 & U21 tourneys are held at d end of season and with dat u expect a full house for d teams.

Likes of Awoniyi, Mathew, Yahaya, Sadiq, Nura, K. Nwakali, Osimhen, Chukwueze for instance should be with d U19.

While Likes of Success, Iheanacho, Simon, Ndidi, Iwobi, should even b playing U21 and nt even U23.
If dey play together at age grade levels from U17, U19, & U21 they can better bond and blend at d senior level.

I have had several arguments with peeps here on relationship between age and a player's performance.. And i still solidly stand by it. What Amuneke presented as U20 is U18. Yes cos the oldest player in that team, K. Nwakali jst clocked 18.

I personally believe in structured development for players.

As long as the development of these youngsters is always zigzag we will hardly get it right.

cc:TheGoodJoe

Spain who have won the U19 and U21 Euro trophies many times are yet to win the Olympics and won the U20 only once. Last time in 1999. About 17 years ago.

It has not helped them dominate the U20.

The reason why these players like Toni Kroos, Xavi, Ronaldinho, Aguero develop is because their local leagues are developed. Our players do not have that luxury of growing on home ground. If a European club do not take you, you will hardly make it.

Brazil can assemble a strong U20 team because most are based in Brazil. Same thing with the Olympics. Same goes to Argentina Spain, Belgium, Mexico etc.

Look at how late Iheanacho, Success and Simon Moses made it late to camp in New Zealand. They missed the camping in Germany. Same thing is happening now. In the Olympics.

So, picking pros is going to delay camping an preparation. Our current U20 team is good but the mismanagement affected them. Not the promotion of the team. This was a string team.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by Icon4s(m): 10:01pm On Jul 24, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Spain who have won the U19 and U21 Euro trophies many times are yet to win the Olympics and won the U20 only once. Last time in 1999. About 17 years ago.

It has not helped them dominate the U20.

The reason why these players like Toni Kroos, Xavi, Ronaldinho, Aguero develop is because their local leagues are developed. Our players do not have that luxury of growing on home ground. If a European club do not take you, you will hardly make it.

Brazil can assemble a strong U20 team because most are based in Brazil. Same thing with the Olympics. Same goes to Argentina Spain, Belgium, Mexico etc.

Look at how late Iheanacho, Success and Simon Moses made it late to camp in New Zealand. They missed the camping in Germany. Same thing is happening now. In the Olympics.

So, picking pros is going to delay camping an preparation. Our current U20 team is good but the mismanagement affected them. Not the promotion of the team. This was a string team.

Talking abt Spain, it is that continuos domination in Europe at U19 & U21 that has taken them to where they are. And yes their league ensures those U19 & U21 remains in Spain.

A typical Spanish U19 or U20 side is made up of players hu have been well drilled in several Spanish clubs while our own U20 players would b composed mainly of player from "My People FC Academy" & the likes and u expect them to conquer d world?

The problem is we keep down playing d competition at d U20 level. A very large percentage of those Amuneke boys are nt U20 materials. Forget d issue of nt training for 3 days.
We were at home for God's sakes. And nt dat we played against Mali, Guinea, Ghana or CIV. It was Sudan! Sudan for Christ's sakes!
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by Icon4s(m): 10:04pm On Jul 24, 2016
[quote author=forgiveness post=47854620]5 REASONS WHY FLYING EAGLES CRASHED OUT

Nigeria’s Flying Eagles will not be in Zambia next year to defend the U20 AFCON trophy they won last year after they were shocked out of the qualifiers by Sudan.

The excitement of having won a record fifth U17 World Cup in Chile in November got the better of coach Emmanuel Amuneke, his assistants and even the players, who felt they have arrived on the world football stage after what they had achieved in South America.

They probably equated the demands of U17 football to that what is expected of a team at a higher U20 level, where the players are a lot more matured with some even knocking on the door of the full international side.

Such thinking almost derailed coach Manu Garba last year, before he welcomed superior ideas to open his team to players outside those he has previously worked with at the U17 cadre.

The wrong assumption that there is not much difference between U17 and U20 has affected over time the appointment of the coaches for the Flying Eagles as well as the faulty selection of players for the country’s youth team.

Poor tactics

On a day the rains poured down on Lagos, Amuneke got his tactics totally wrong by still insisting on the boys playing his passing game on a waterlogged pitch, while the more experienced and bigger Sudanese chose the more practical kick and rush style to their advantage.

The Flying Eagles lack of size certainly did not help their cause as they always played second best to their opponents even after they reduced to 10 men midway in the second half.

When it was 3-3, Amuneke should have shut the game as a draw was enough to qualify Nigeria.

Is Amuneke really the tactical genius he has been packaged as?

Team not good enough

The Flying Eagles Class of 2016 did not have the quality and had they managed to advance to Zambia 2017, they would have been badly exposed by better teams at the AFCON finals.

Even at the U17 level, what got them going was their raw determination, the goals of Victor Osimhen as well as their conditioning.

The team were shut out from other players even after a much-advertised screening exercise as Amuneke insisted on working with only the players he tinkered at the U17 level.

This killed the competitive spirit in the team as players in Amuneke’s U17 pool were always considered ahead of those who were outside this group.

Team selection was biased and there was hardly a serious consideration for the physical size of the players especially in key positions like goalkeeper, defensive midfield and central defence.

It must say something about the quality in this team that after all the hype and expectations, only a handful of these players have since secured contracts overseas.

Goalkeeper Akpan Udoh was safe at U17 level, but was clearly exposed at a higher level, the team’s defence was below average, skipper Kelechi Nwakali failed to shine after he was named MVP at the U17 level and Osimhen could not reproduce the magic that fetched him a pro deal a top Bundesliga club Wolfsburg.

Both players, coaches lost focus

At last year’s U17 World Cup, these same boys had fought like wounded lions to make a name for themselves even when they had not received any allowances and bonuses.

Their character and focus were praised, but only eight months later, it was a different story altogether after it got out to the media that they threatened to boycott Saturday’s match over unpaid monies.

“They lost the game even before they kicked the ball because suddenly they lost their focus and drive,” a top former international told AfricanFootball.com

It was also understood that several of these players openly challenged the instructions of their coaches with Amuneke also angling to be Super Eagles coach after he was brought on board in an interim capacity for the AFCON qualifiers against Egypt in March.

For Amuneke, it was not about qualifying for the AFCON, but winning the elusive U20 World Cup in South Korea next year.

It is possible nobody really told him that you first have to qualify for the AFCON before you could start targeting the World Cup.

Inexperience and lack of exposure

At the U20 level, experience is a major factor and these Flying Eagles lacked it because most of the players are still with academies with not one of them playing even in the lower Nigeria National League.

It was only three years ago that the likes of Paul Pogba and Kurt Zouma helped France to win the U20 World Cup in Turkey and today they have established themselves at Juventus and Chelsea, respectively.

Amuneke’s team prepared for these qualifiers by playing mediocre academies around Abuja with their only tough test games being against the country’s U23 team.

Matches against Premier League sides like FC IfeanyiUbah, which could have toughened them and got them the much-needed experience and exposure, were rejected outrightly.

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) would have done better by arranging for test matches in neigbouring countries like Benin and Ghana as was the case in previous years.

Probably, these big wins in their friendlies mostly at their training base deluded them into thinking they were unbeatable until Sudan delivered the sucker punch right in front of their home fans.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/2/841325881?-18946:4882:3

/quote]

attn: TheGoodJoe
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:15pm On Jul 24, 2016
Icon4s:

Talking abt Spain, it is that continuos domination in Europe at U19 & U21 that has taken them to where they are. And yes their league ensures those U19 & U21 remains in Spain.

A typical Spanish U19 or U20 side is made up of players hu have been well drilled in several Spanish clubs while our own U20 players would b composed mainly of player from "My People FC Academy" & the likes and u expect them to conquer d world?

The problem is we keep down playing d competition at d U20 level. A very large percentage of those Amuneke boys are nt U20 materials. Forget d issue of nt training for 3 days.
We were at home for God's sakes. And nt dat we played against Mali, Guinea, Ghana or CIV. It was Sudan! Sudan for Christ's sakes!

Success Of Spain: A Lesson For Every Football Nation

The seniors showed how to do it! And now the juniors showed that even they can do it. Next what? Even the Spanish U5 might win their respective football tournament in the very same way. It’s that time to say that Brazil is no more the most feared football country in the world. It’s time for Spain to take the throne. The victory of Spain U-21 in the European championships recently has further substantiated the claim of the kings of world football. But how has Spain managed this unprecedented success, this unbelievable consistency that every country wants to emulate the Spanish success model?

https://www.nairaland.com/3019225/success-spain-lesson-every-football
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by Icon4s(m): 10:19pm On Jul 24, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Success Of Spain: A Lesson For Every Football Nation

The seniors showed how to do it! And now the juniors showed that even they can do it. Next what? Even the Spanish U5 might win their respective football tournament in the very same way. It’s that time to say that Brazil is no more the most feared football country in the world. It’s time for Spain to take the throne. The victory of Spain U-21 in the European championships recently has further substantiated the claim of the kings of world football. But how has Spain managed this unprecedented success, this unbelievable consistency that every country wants to emulate the Spanish success model?

https://www.nairaland.com/3019225/success-spain-lesson-every-football

A vital ingredient to their Success is having the most competitive and technical league in the world.

We dnt have that in Nigeria and u expect us to beat Spain to the game?
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:34pm On Jul 24, 2016
Icon4s:
?

This is the main point. All other thing he is talking there does not add up.

For instance, talking of Amunike,should have mixed bigger players. That is totally absurd. Amunike is from a ball playing philosphy and lots of the smallish players are better on the ball. The big and bulky players will not fit in if they are not good ball controllers and players.

Saying that the team failed because the squad was promoted from the U17 is also funny. Manu Garba's just promoted U17 qualified and won the AYC.

Saying Amunike should have played friendlies against Ifeanyi Ubah does not mean that the behavior of the players will not affect the team.

It is time Amaju Pinnick and his gang get something straight. There is a reason for home and away matches.

When you are at home, select a stadium that favors the strength of the team. This stadium did not favor them and we had better pitches that would have suited them.

It seems people are forgetting we beat this same Sudanese team. Where these not the same boys? Where they not smallish? Did they not play the passing game?

When they beat the Dream team, were the dream team not bigger than them?

These boys were betrayed by the NFF due to lack of care. This disrupted the camp. Then the poor condition of the pitch did not favor them. Those are what caused them to lose.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:39pm On Jul 24, 2016
Icon4s:

A vital ingredient to their Success is having the most competitive and technical league in the world.

We dnt have that in Nigeria and u expect us to beat Spain to the game?

It is not U19 or U21 but meticulous development of their players at a very young age. Training the players and coaches to have similar styles and philosophies.

The running leagues at different age levels. Other European teams are adopting their methods because it works. Our boys are working in terrible conditions, miles from the likes of Spain, Germany and Belgium.

That is what affects the development of our players.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by papinx(m): 11:20pm On Jul 24, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

It is not U19 or U21 but meticulous development of their players at a very young age. Training the players and coaches to have similar styles and philosophies.

The running leagues at different age levels. Other European teams are adopting their methods because it works. Our boys are working in terrible conditions, miles from the likes of Spain, Germany and Belgium.

Wait, is there anything like academy in the Nigerian league?
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:15am On Jul 25, 2016
papinx:

Wait, is there anything like academy in the Nigerian league?

We have junior teams referred to as Feeders. I hardly here of clubs in Nigeria carrying out Academy programs

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by Icon4s(m): 6:00am On Jul 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
[b][/b]

This is the main point. All other thing he is talking there does not add up.

For instance, talking of Amunike,should have mixed bigger players. That is totally absurd. Amunike is from a ball playing philosphy and lots of the smallish players are better on the ball. The big and bulky players will not fit in if they are not good ball controllers and players.

Saying that the team failed because the squad was promoted from the U17 is also funny. Manu Garba's just promoted U17 qualified and won the AYC.

Saying Amunike should have played friendlies against Ifeanyi Ubah does not mean that the behavior of the players will not affect the team.

It is time Amaju Pinnick and his gang get something straight. There is a reason for home and away matches.

When you are at home, select a stadium that favors the strength of the team. This stadium did not favor them and we had better pitches that would have suited them.

It seems people are forgetting we beat this same Sudanese team. Where these not the same boys? Where they not smallish? Did they not play the passing game?

When they beat the Dream team, were the dream team not bigger than them?

These boys were betrayed by the NFF due to lack of care. This disrupted the camp. Then the poor condition of the pitch did not favor them. Those are what caused them to lose.

In as much as i dnt agree 100% with the thinking of that writer, there is a lot of sense in what he said. Particularly in the areas of sticking with his U17 boys and inexperience.

Manu almost made that mistake bt later introduced Wilfred Ndidi, Moses Simon and Kingsley Sokari of which i still felt was nt enough.

I understand ur pt from which u have been defending them bt those pts to me are nt enough to lose 3-4 at home to Sudan. Amuneke himself has come out to say no excuses.
Re: Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) by Icon4s(m): 6:53am On Jul 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Even with d meticulous development they have not won d U17.

There strength lies mostly in the U19 & U21.
A typical Spanish U21 side would parade players from the la liga hu would have had at list 3 yrs of senior team football.

Bt what we have as U20s are a bunch of academy players

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (Reply)

Emmanuel Emenike Converts To Islam / Oleksandr Zinchenko Is Married To Vlada "World's Most Beautiful WAG" / Anthony Joshua Hugged Andy Ruiz After Rematch In Saudi Arabia(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.