Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,327 members, 7,808,099 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:13 AM

MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President (20414 Views)

The Four Basic Laws Of Wealth, Success And Prosperity / MMM Promoters Exploited Nigerian Laws / 3 Laws Of Money. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by aspirebig: 10:56pm On Nov 08, 2015
Ok
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by nayoubiko: 11:12pm On Nov 08, 2015
The money giving to MTN TO PAY IS TOO SMALL, SAME COMING FOR ALL THE OYINBO OIL COMPANY IN NIGERIA

1 Like

Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by obontami: 11:13pm On Nov 08, 2015
[size=20pt]mtn should start selling recharge card of #750 for #200

DSTV should make their subscription fee starts from #500

Shoprite should also start selling hot dog,burger, sausage roll,pizza,juice and beer for the sum of #100 each

I mean u guys can't come to our country and be milking us badly

Its totally unacceptable[/size]

5 Likes

Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by kayalla(f): 11:49pm On Nov 08, 2015
they always take Nigeria for granted and never obey any rules or law, now its by force they pay or leave.

2 Likes

Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by naijacentric(m): 12:28am On Nov 09, 2015
all thanks to d new sheriff in town dstv dont be warned

1 Like

Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by billyG(m): 12:37am On Nov 09, 2015
Demdem:
South Africa’s Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa has urged Africa’s biggest mobile-phone company, the MTN Group Ltd., to follow the rules in countries where it is operating.

This followed a fine of $5.2 billion imposed on MTN by telecoms industry regulator, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), for failing to disconnect customers with unregistered phone cards.

NCC gave MTN until November 16 to pay the fine, which relates to the timing of the disconnection of 5.1 million subscribers and is based on a charge of N200,000 ($1,005) for each unregistered customer.

Nigeria is the Johannesburg-based MTN’s biggest market with 62 million clients as of September.

The company’s shares have slumped 14 per cent since October 26, when the fine was imposed.
Ramaphosa, in an address to lawmakers in Cape Town yesterday, said the government would be taking note of what “is happening with a view of seeing how the company involved responds and reacts” to its challenges.

“We would like our companies to comply with the laws and regulations of countries where they operate, without violating them.

“It does seem like in the case of Nigeria, there were issues, and those issues need to be addressed.

“If this fine is indeed imposed as it is, it is going to impact on South Africa as well, as our revenue fortunes from a taxation point of view are going to be lower,” he said.

Agency reports indicated that comments by Ramaphosa, a former chairman of MTN, suggested that South African authorities might leave MTN to face its problem as it seeks to have the penalty reduced.

South African authorities might also be reluctant to confront their Nigerian counterparts following a series of diplomatic spats that have soured relations between the Africa’s two biggest economies.

The most recent occurred in April, when Nigeria’s government allegedly ordered its two most senior diplomats in South Africa to return home for consultations following a wave of attacks against immigrants, including Nigerians, in Johannesburg and Durban.

“South Africa does not have a track record of defending its national company champions internationally,” Nic Borain, a political analyst, who advises BNP Paribas Cadiz Securities, said by phone.

“On the face of it, this fine seems seriously over the top. Ramaphosa’s words about the issue seem weak as they veer too much on the side of caution,” he added.

South Africa’s telecommunication and finance ministries didn’t respond to agency’s calls and e-mails seeking comment.

Lawmakers plan to summon MTN officials to explain why the company was fined, Nkhensani Kubayi, chairwoman of Parliament’s telecommunications committee, said by phone from Cape Town.

The panel will also ask the South African industry regulator to determine whether MTN is compliant with local rules, with hearings likely to take place next year, she said.

http://thenationonlineng.net/mtn-must-respect-laws-of-host-countries-says-south-africa/
Sen.Ben Bruce shld hid his obama face in shame!

1 Like

Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by rhymz(m): 1:14am On Nov 09, 2015
Demdem:
Shame to that hypocrite called Senator Bruce. Our laws, rules and regulations must be obeyed. Any foreign investor that isn't comfortable with it shouldn't bother to come while those already here operating under impunity should close shop and go home. A new sheriff is now in charge. Era of impunity is over.
some of you just comment without the aids of common sense, the senator was right, the fine is way too much unless the aim is not to deter others from flouting the laws, possibly a revenge or something petty. Before some of you run off to post like little angry children, you should also consider the effect such a fine will have not just on foreign investment but also on the Nigerians who make up more than 90% of their workforce, unless you do not care if they lost their job as a result of this preposterous fine.

Nobody is saying the NCC should not fine them for violation but they must do so with some degree of fairness and moderation, you don't throw the baby and the bathwater away just because you want to have a clean bath.... Think before you comment and mislead others.

5 Likes

Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by charsobodo(m): 1:37am On Nov 09, 2015
yes o MTN should pay up or close shop, they have exploited us enough and to flagrantly float the laws of the land is the height of it, they must be made to face the consequences...

Meanwhile checkout https://hotseo.tumblr.com
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by Emeka71(m): 1:57am On Nov 09, 2015
A system where people are decieving themselves.
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by Rexnegro(m): 2:01am On Nov 09, 2015
menix:
This MTN talk dey vex me walahi, if e possible i go increase the fine for too much complain from there end.

South Africa get mind seize our money meant for weapon without due consultation all to spite Nigeria, if i be Buhari, any cabinet member wey beg on their behalf gets sack letter..

This oyibo pepper called Ben Bruce needs to be recalled i showear....
na pdp member him b na so wat do u expect from him if not to use silverbird TV dey try cause wahala for pmb/vpyo govt...who know sef if mtn don give am brown envelope to talk...mtn should pay or start packing....very stingy telecom firm
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by Rexnegro(m): 2:09am On Nov 09, 2015
macaranta:
Somehow I pity mtn sha...
kai i wish I fit slap u from here for dis ur pity comment sha
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by debbleopto: 2:11am On Nov 09, 2015
fart:
MTN should shut up and pay th money. When south Africans were killing nigerians in south Africa did it not occur that they would pay dearly for that? Also what about all the money MTN steals from us? If I make call for one minute they deduct 1000 naira from my balance. Fools. They must pay every kobo. Let us hear word. No body should feel bad for the company jare.
. Its because of the cheating I refused to join mtn since 2002. mtn not good for hypertensive patients
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by Nobody: 2:14am On Nov 09, 2015
they must pay... i want them.to also fine DSTV.
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by sirisiri34: 2:49am On Nov 09, 2015
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by azzima(m): 3:54am On Nov 09, 2015
If ONLY Biafrans can heed that advice too, there will be peace in our land.
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by Bigdreams(m): 5:30am On Nov 09, 2015
Ok... Watching.... in ..... cool cool

My signature.
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by chaziroh(m): 5:37am On Nov 09, 2015
Too bad for mtn. The just have to pay the fine. The deliberately failed to abide by the rules of their host country just because of the money the will loose from disconnecting their unregistered customers.
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by alexlee50: 6:25am On Nov 09, 2015
Demdem:
Shame to that hypocrite called Senator Bruce. Our laws, rules and regulations must be obeyed. Any foreign investor that isn't comfortable with it shouldn't bother to come while those already here operating under impunity should close shop and go home. A new sheriff is now in charge. Era of impunity is over.
ok naa, I think by the time many go, una get plans to bring new companies come? Since bubu start to travel like globe trotters, how many new investors don come?
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by Demdem(m): 6:51am On Nov 09, 2015
[s]
rhymz:
some of you just comment without the aids of common sense, the senator was right, the fine is way too much unless the aim is not to deter others from flouting the laws, possibly a revenge or something petty. Before some of you run off to post like little angry children, you should also consider the effect such a fine will have not just on foreign investment but also on the Nigerians who make up more than 90% of their workforce, unless you do not care if they lost their job as a result of this preposterous fine.

Nobody is saying the NCC should not fine them for violation but they must do so with some degree of fairness and moderation, you don't throw the baby and the bathwater away just because you want to have a clean bath.... Think before you comment and mislead others.
[/s]

The same repeated senseless thrash being peddled around. Before the law was flouted, MTN was aware and signed for it and knew of the repercussions yet they chose to disobey. That the fine is excessive is debatable and can be amended subsequently but the will be after they have faced this music. U and the likes of Bruce are the kind of peeps drawing this nation back.
Rubbish.

3 Likes

Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by simplisity(m): 6:56am On Nov 09, 2015
They must comply o, if MTN does not wants to stay let it go, Glo, Airtel, and Etisalat will take over.
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by scooby650(m): 7:03am On Nov 09, 2015
adepiero:

This land wey you occupied soo.. I beg wetin Una wan use am do ooo?
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by Orikinla(m): 7:08am On Nov 09, 2015
MTN can make the US$5 billion within 3 months as MTN joins Afrinolly to launch the biggest GSM Market for Nollywood and African Entertainment on Tuesday, November 10, at the 2015 AFRIFF International Film Festival @ Eko Hotel and Suites on Victoria Island, Lagos. See more details on http://totnaija..co.ke/2015/11/afrinolly-to-launch-biggest-mobile.html
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by adepiero: 7:11am On Nov 09, 2015
scooby650:

This land wey you occupied soo.. I beg wetin Una wan use am do ooo?
I wan build nursery and primary school with space for sports and another section I go use am build estate and inside the estate I go build tollgate come link am go London grin
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by maryhaam(f): 7:44am On Nov 09, 2015
rhymz:

you understand its all,fine they need to pay,but they should consider the workforce.
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by estherdim: 7:46am On Nov 09, 2015
thirded

Get All type of Timberland Boot, Nike, Adidas, Emporio Armani, Casio Edifice, Smart watches Et all, visit link at signature below
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by eyinjuege: 7:52am On Nov 09, 2015
Demdem:
Can u imagine......all other telcos including foreigners complied except MTN who chose not to with a whooping 5.2 million subscribers. What do they take us for? They were aware of the penalty of approximately $1000 for each SIM and they signed for it. Yet they still went ahead to flout it.
The fine is legitimate and MTN should urgently pay up or close shop and go. ( of cos, they are going no where even if the fine is double what they are suppose to pay now. grin Greedy arseholes. grin)

It's 62 million subscribers, and $5.2 billion penalty fee @ $1005 dollar per unregistered person.
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by Demdem(m): 7:54am On Nov 09, 2015
eyinjuege:

It's 62 million subscribers, and $5.2 billion penalty fee @ $1005 dollar per unregistered person.

Yeah, i said Approximately $1000
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by eyinjuege: 7:55am On Nov 09, 2015
Demdem:

Yeah, i said Approximately $1000

Yeah my bad. Just reread it now. The no of unregistered subscribers na over 5million
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by ceejay80s(m): 8:43am On Nov 09, 2015
My mtn internet bundle dey zap like say tomorrow no dey, they wan collect the 4.1trillion from we the subscribers. To open nairaland page b4 on my smallest opera Mini is 6kb but now na 84kb
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by mikeapollo: 8:48am On Nov 09, 2015
Demdem:

I hope you will say the same thing when Nigerian companies come under similar sanctions in other countries.
What the South African Deputy President said is the right thing for reasonable people. But here in Nigeria, we think other countries owe us any special duty so they must not sanction Nigerians/Nigerian businesses when they run foul of the laws of the country. That is when we start talking about discrimination, hatred, jealousy and other silly excuses
Re: MTN Must Respect Laws Of Host Countries - South Africa Deputy President by Demdem(m): 8:57am On Nov 09, 2015
mikeapollo:

I hope you will say the same thing when Nigerian companies come under similar sanctions in other countries.

Yes I will. I don't expect Nigeria companies to go outside and start disobeying their rules and regulations. MTN signed and agreed to this so it's right for them to face the music. They are not even claiming ignorance. Wise up please.

What the South African Deputy President said is the right thing for reasonable people.

The deputy President is simply saying........MTN, u signed for the approx $1000 per SIM penalty. U Av flouted the law,now pay up. Simple.

But here in Nigeria, we think other countries owe us any special duty so they must not sanction Nigerians/Nigerian businesses when they run foul of the laws of the country.

I don't know about these Nigerians u are reffering to but what I know is am surely not among those.

[s]
That is when we start talking about discrimination, hatred, jealousy and other silly excuses[/s]

Face topic.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

HOW TO REGISTER YOUR BUSINESS NAME REGISTRATIONS / Guide On How To Make Money On Facebook / Adama J: Investors Call Out CEO Of Ceepass, Viable X, Farm4me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.