Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,962 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:54 AM

The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA (1453 Views)

NLC Names TEN States That Mis-Spent Their Bail Out Funds / Biafra: I Saw This In A South Eastern State Today(photos) / Communique Arising From The Meeting Of South East Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by Scholes007(m): 12:55pm On Nov 10, 2015
Years now,many has this view of south east been economically,industrially and infrastructurally under developed. This is mainly due to the high unexposure of many especially south western part of the country. With this high rate of ignorance about the region(SE).many rely on 'hear say' to know the region and its people,in turn this breeded high negative perception of the people due to what i term evil propaganda against the citizens of the area.
Allow me to deviate a little, the igbo believe that commerce and industries is the only hope for economic emancipation of their people, hence the reason for their quest to be self reliant in the economic,commercial and industrial sectors of the nation. This made their citizens less interested in politics, as they view it as highly corrupt venture with no level playing field in Nigeria today.
Due to their little shortcoming in politics after Nigerian civil war in 1970, other majority ethnic groups who were already viewing them as threat resort to politics of nepotism and ethnicity hence used it to undermine their interest,with fear that if 'they stand,they will secede'. This lead to the highly biased creation of states, the gross hatred & fear of any igbo dominance,'paint the igbo black' and so on. In time this ugly development became imbibed into the fabrics of other ethnic groups, with it's tentacles strangling Nigerian politics today.
Why did i bring this up?, ofcourse it is because this politically induced mis perception also affects the view of most people about the region named "SOUTH EAST"(which is dominated by the igbos) with ripple effect on its sister region "SOUTH SOUTH".
I Find it suprisingly difficult that someone(NIGERIAN) on my home town Uturu in Abia state will be asking questions like
*where are the red mud houses?
*are you sure this is a village?
* i thought everywhere is erosion in isuikwuato? And things of such nature.
Could this be that they are ignorant or erronous perception of the region due to high floating of negative propaganda against the people. This is uncalled for and must stop for peace, harmonious and prosperous nation

1 Like

Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by Abagworo(m): 1:11pm On Nov 10, 2015
Scholes007:
Years now,many has this view of south east been economically,industrially and infrastructurally under developed. This is mainly due to the high unexposure of many especially south western part of the country. With this high rate of ignorance about the region(SE).many rely on 'hear say' to know the region and its people,in turn this breeded high negative perception of the people due to what i term evil propaganda against the citizens of the area...

The truth is that Igbos refused to expose true situation themselves because of political fights. Take Aba for example which because of politics has got only pictures of refuse dumps and bad roads circulating so much that many people believe it is how all parts of the city is. The reason is simply because Theodore Orji was in a political war and his opponents thought that by exposing the bad pictures his political career would be killed but not knowing they were pushing off would-be investors who often rely on pictures before a physical visit.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by Scholes007(m): 1:45pm On Nov 10, 2015
abagworo
this may be part of the reasons but i don't think this started because of t.a orji
Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by Scholes007(m): 10:30pm On Feb 18, 2016
THE MYTH ABOUT SOUTH EAST AND AGRICULTURE
most ignorant nigerians who maynot have been to south east have this belief that south east has acidic and infertile red soil which is not suitable for agriculture. Some even think that the little fertile land available will be carried away by erosion. Contrary to this belief(myth), south east soil is very fertile and viable for any agricultural purpose that pertain to tropical rainforest, freshwater swamp forest and forest savanna.
Some people might have some doubt with this claims,but testimonies of viability of agricultural activities in recent times should at least be able to remove some doubt if not all. The amount of agricultural and agro-allied investment in the region especially Anambra, Ebonyi and Enugu states has a valued estimate of over $2billion in less than 5years.(2011-till date). "Oops", some will say, "here they go again with billions of dollars" others may say scornfully,but the truth remains that this value is for those investment viewed as mega.

This is not to massage some ego or measure d¡ck but it is a call to my igbo brothers and other potential investors to look towards agricultural potentials of this region, for us to have sustainable development.
Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by Herald47: 10:56pm On Feb 18, 2016
When i went to nkwelle in anambra state 2years,i saw some yoruba and togolese expatriates,while i was interacting with them,they were surprised at the rate that area was developing,they began exclaiming 'igbo people get money well well,see the kind fine houses wey them they build even small small boys don make him own money to build house'

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by Scholes007(m): 11:01pm On Feb 18, 2016
Agricultural potentials of the region
variety of agricultural products can be obtained from this region. Most cash cross, food crops and life stock can be grown in commercial quantity in the region. Here i will list the potential products in two main categories which is; cash/food cross & life stock.
major cash/food crops includes:
i. Oil palm(obtainable in all states)
ii. Rice (mostly in enugu,ebonyi and anambra)
iii. Cashew(obtainable in abia, enugu and imo)
iv. Rubber (obtainable in abia and imo states)
iv.cocoa(obtainable in abia and imo states)
v. Cassava (obtainable in every state)
vi. Yam (every state)
vii. Tomato (every state)
plantain (mostly abia, ebonyi and imo states)
maize ( obtainable in all states)...
major life stock includes:
i. Sheep and goats (obtainable in every part)
ii. Poultry (every state)
iii. Pigs (every state)
iv. Cattle (mostly in the northern states ie anambra, enugu and ebonyi)

3 Likes

Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by Scholes007(m): 11:06pm On Feb 18, 2016
Herald47:
When i went to nkwelle in anambra state 2years,i saw some yoruba and togolese expatriates,while i was interacting with them,they were surprised at the rate that area was developing,they began exclaiming 'igbo people get money well well,see the kind fine houses wey them they build even small small boys don make him own money to build house'
thank you my brother, i have been begging most of my brothers on this forum to refute any information that could lead to misleading perception of this great region with facts and less insult. The protection of this region and its potentials is in our hands.
Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by explorer250(m): 11:11pm On Feb 18, 2016
we igbos don't care about anybody perception about south east or any other part of igboland
Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by Scholes007(m): 11:13pm On Feb 18, 2016
The myth of igboland ends south east.
it is always said when lie/any evil is repeated over time it becomes a culture/belief. This can be liken to the devious lie spread in some quarters that igbos are only in south east. Some new atlas (the ones from hungry author) have falling cheaply into this mis leading perception.
Igboland/territory is any place that has ndi igbo as aborigins. Hence igbos are not only in south east but are also in south south region. Some will come with this known theory of ikwere denied their igboness, but that is a very big lie that has been left to grow to the extent of misleading some indigens in rivers state. If you ask, the person to tell you who is ikwere he will be beating around the bush but if the same person is told okechukwu amadi stole he will be quick to tag it igbo without asking where okechukwu is from. This lie cannot be allowed anymore to grow as it has been the root of all mis-fortune of the great igboland.
Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by patrick89(m): 11:16pm On Feb 18, 2016
You're wasting your time! Don't you ever spend your precious time educating those wastful beings! Who cares what they think? All they know is TV and twitter.
Just right hear at back of our compound they're all over the building with their noisy and irritating music,in our front same, I can't wait for them to finish plastering and go.
70percent of buildings here are done by either them or Togolese
Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by joeprince23(m): 11:17pm On Feb 18, 2016
Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by Ofodirinwa: 11:28pm On Feb 18, 2016
My family has a palm plantation in Imo. I laugh when ppl talk about land scarcity or agriculture in Igboland

Every Igbo man has land allocated to him in the east and there's still free land. From birth. I also laugh at the efulefu who waste their allocation on ignorance gallivanting in Kano and Warri not knowing that they're rich if they had sense. If you're a first son you lot is even double.
Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by tanteta(m): 11:28pm On Feb 18, 2016
We all know the truth..... This region is Blessed in many ways. This fact is an open secret.
Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by Scholes007(m): 11:36pm On Feb 18, 2016
the myth of south east has no mineral deposit
This is another lie that have been flying around in some quarters for years now. Sometimes i ask myself do some people even research before believing bullsh¡ts. Can't people remember that there was once when coal was like crude oil in nigeria, can't they remember there was a time when Nigercem was the major cement in the country, are the forgetting that abia and imo state wasn't included in nddc just for fun. Well i will take it that those found to believe this lie are ignorant and needs to be enlightened.
Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by Scholes007(m): 11:43pm On Feb 18, 2016
tanteta:
We all know the truth..... This region is Blessed in many ways. This fact is an open secret.
yes it is an open secret that people are determined to make a closed secret. It is quite dishearting when i come online (especially nairaland) to come and read comment heavily smeared by ignorance. I think this induce hatred against people you know little or nothing about and it must stop for peaceful and harmonious co-existence.
Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by Scholes007(m): 11:57pm On Feb 18, 2016
Mineral deposits in south east.
i. crude oil and gas:
*found in: abia, imo and anambra states.
Used for: a) petroleum and petrol chemicals. b) for electricity production and many others
ii. Lime stone:
*found in: ebonyi state and abia state
used for: cement production.
iii. Coal:
*found in: enugu and ebonyi states
used for: power generation, tar and others
iv. quarry(other ignous rock)
*found in: ebonyi, enugu and abia
used for: road constructions/other constructions
v. Silica and other industrial stone
*found in: abia and imo states
used for: glass production, marble...
Vii. Lead
*found in: ebonyi, abia and enugu states
used for: cable,...
vìii. ...
Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by Bishops10(m): 12:06am On Feb 19, 2016
Proudly Imolite

Shamefully Biafra
Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by Bishops10(m): 12:07am On Feb 19, 2016
Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by Nobody: 12:16am On Feb 19, 2016
waste of time. Some people are programmed to hate,if you like write an epistle from now till next year it won't change the mind of those born to hate, the difference is that we ve been to their place but they ve never been to ours, do you know that most of the people on nairaland have never left their state of origin to their neighbouring states not to talk of crossing the Niger, so when they come up with their theories of what south east looks like I just shake my head and laugh...there's a saying in my place that " a traveller is more knowledgeable than the one with a grey hair" so let them be. I once took a friend of mine from Rivers to Aba, he was totally amazed and was asking me whether this is the aba he's been hearing about. he didnt know that the city was well planned and that there are good and bad areas just like in every other city.
Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by Scholes007(m): 12:33am On Feb 19, 2016
The mythof south east is industrially starved
this lie is/has been one of the disgusting of all the lies. I will not discuss much on this yet
Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by DrinkWater10: 1:31am On Feb 19, 2016
Scholes007:
The myth of south east is industrially starved
OP Weldone
Please can you give updates on developments in Uche Ogah's Masters Energy industry city? Any at all.
Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by Scholes007(m): 7:13am On Feb 19, 2016
DrinkWater10:

OP Weldone
Please can you give updates on developments in Uche Ogah's Masters Energy industry city? Any at all.
there is alot going on there. Continous Work have been on there.
Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by JahJaa(m): 7:32am On Feb 19, 2016
Pls tell them South East Is Not as bad as they are made to believe. Development is fast taking place in most vilages in anambra. Even when i went to enugu for some business meetings i was proud with what i saw. In our church compound there is a lodge where coppers live most of them from the west is very happy cause is enough water, electricity and security for them. Some of them served 3 to 4 years ago they are all around living at different areas in our community, most of them are teaching in private school, doctors at private hospitals though they are all males but they are happy here in the east. One of them is a good friend of mine he is working as a P.T.A teacher in a fed sec sch in Nise anambra. So thats it, South east is better than the bad new they believe
Re: The Myth and Gross Mis-perception Of SOUTH EASTERN NIGERIA by EastanPower(m): 8:22am On Feb 19, 2016
Thanks Op, please tell them ooo.

(1) (Reply)

Firm To Establish Refineries In Ondo, Lagos / Arms Deal: I Got N260m From Jonathan, Not Dasuki – Anenih Tells EFCC / The Governor Of Enugu State Should Resign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.