Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:11 AM

Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake (65477 Views)

Mambila Power: Buhari’s Big Bang Project Set To Take Off By Garba Shehu / Another Big Ministerial Flop In Buhari's Government / 'How Cabals In The Presidency Hijacked Buhari’s Ministerial Appointment' - SDC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by ifedayoifedapo(f): 4:10pm On Nov 11, 2015
the permanent secretaries should be able to handle some things too since the two will have separate perm. sec. let us just pray along. Fashola's oversight functions capability can handle 4 ministries
Super1Star:
OP when will your wailing stop

Fash is more than capable to handle the portfolio. Therefore, stop wailing and face your gala sales biz.
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by 1trillionlikes: 4:10pm On Nov 11, 2015
Lordave:
With the history of poor, erratic and unsteady power supply associated with past governments, even Maitama residents would be anticipating the APC trademark 'Change' to sweep across the ministry of power and somehow or anyhow solve the problem of nonexistent power supply in most parts of the country.
Alas, Buhari, today decided to name former Lagos State governor, Mr Raji Babatunde Fashola as the minister of merged former Ministries of Power, Works and Housing.
From a progressive perspective every sensible Nigerian would agree that this is a very big mistake from our president. The ministry of Work and Housing alone is a deserving ministry for a person of Fashola's calibre and administrative prowess to pilot, likewise Power. Heading the Ministry of Works and Housing in Nigeria is very cumbersome and almost equivalent to the numerous tasks he faced as the Governor of Lagos State were he had commissioners who were accountable to him, let alone Power being added to this workload of a Portfolio.
I'm tempted to ask, did Buhari seek advice and make proper consultation before handing these merged portfolio to Mr Fashola? If he did, what were his findings? Which people supported his merging of these ministries?(they should be named so we can know those who indirectly oppose our progress)
In a nutshell, it was unexpected, unprogressive, nonsensical and most especially, unacceptable merging of this work laden ministries and handing it over to one man considering the immediate change Nigerians are expecting in the power sector. Buhari should separate this ministries and make Mr Fashola a minister to one of them.

It would be inevitable hearing APC faithfuls say, "after all it is merged ministry, and as such presents a herculean task to the government in bringing a reasonable level of change to what we had in the previous administrations who are responsible for the majority of ruins in the ministries.

WE DO NOT WANT EXCUSES!
you have succeeded is saying NONSENSE....
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Super1Star: 4:11pm On Nov 11, 2015
dovetark:

I agree with you, that is why in my subsequent post where I quoted the poster, I said it has now been made a subject of debate.

thank you.
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by tiwiex(m): 4:11pm On Nov 11, 2015
abu12:
[size=16pt]@op but fashola as assistant in power.
Mustapha Baba Shehuri (Bornu) Minister of State, Power.
Just d way Amaechi has assistant in transport,
Sen Hadi Sirika – (Katsina) Minister of State, Aviation
[/size]
Good point. I missed that. He silently let the minister of state handle it. Mot so bad after all. It gives minister of state work to do. Unlike before.
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by mapet: 4:12pm On Nov 11, 2015
Emekamex:
APC zombies cannot argue intelligently without insulting or bringing up "wailing wailers". The op raised a salient point, I expected those defending Buhari to give an accurate reason why we should believe otherwise and not throwing tantrums up and down. So do you guys expect us to support Buhari even when he is making grave mistakes; no leader can perform efficiently without constructive criticism.

Bros,

1. Unfortunately it is difficult to give "accurate reason" to a submission that makes no sense
2. That you want us to react to it, any other way, also calls to question on what premise you expect use to "argue intelligently" with you, if not to question your scale on intelligence
3. We do not expect you to support PMB, we have taken our understand of your limits........i.e. continue wailing grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Bashloko2(m): 4:13pm On Nov 11, 2015
All is well, we only make suggestions and corrections when things are wrong. PMB did the right job, Fashola handled Lagos so handling power will be the most easiest job for him.
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by LORRDDD(m): 4:13pm On Nov 11, 2015
Lordave:
Man, I bet no body has sounded as frustrated as you in the world today.

Keep on cursing around as you think you're the only one who can curse.
I no blame you, perhaps, you haven't sold enough garden egg today.
who are the garden egg eaters,, ETHNIC SHOTS FIRED

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Eziachi: 4:14pm On Nov 11, 2015
Lordave:
With the history of poor, erratic and unsteady power supply associated with past governments, even Maitama residents would be anticipating the APC trademark 'Change' to sweep across the ministry of power and somehow or anyhow solve the problem of nonexistent power supply in most parts of the country.
Alas, Buhari, today decided to name former Lagos State governor, Mr Raji Babatunde Fashola as the minister of merged former Ministries of Power, Works and Housing.
From a progressive perspective every sensible Nigerian would agree that this is a very big mistake from our president. The ministry of Work and Housing alone is a deserving ministry for a person of Fashola's calibre and administrative prowess to pilot, likewise Power. Heading the Ministry of Works and Housing in Nigeria is very cumbersome and almost equivalent to the numerous tasks he faced as the Governor of Lagos State were he had commissioners who were accountable to him, let alone Power being added to this workload of a Portfolio.
I'm tempted to ask, did Buhari seek advice and make proper consultation before handing these merged portfolio to Mr Fashola? If he did, what were his findings? Which people supported his merging of these ministries?(they should be named so we can know those who indirectly oppose our progress)
In a nutshell, it was unexpected, unprogressive, nonsensical and most especially, unacceptable merging of this work laden ministries and handing it over to one man considering the immediate change Nigerians are expecting in the power sector. Buhari should separate this ministries and make Mr Fashola a minister to one of them.

It would be inevitable hearing APC faithfuls say, "after all it is merged ministry, and as such presents a herculean task to the government in bringing a reasonable level of change to what we had in the previous administrations who are responsible for the majority of ruins in the ministries.

WE DO NOT WANT EXCUSES!
So you knew the ministers more than the person it took 7 months to appoint them? You must be some god.
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Acidosis(m): 4:14pm On Nov 11, 2015
Power Issues in Nigeria cannot be fixed in 10years.

Obj and Jonathan have set a landmark by reforming the power sector. Thr call for Power Sector reform in Nigeria came in too late, some countries like Netherlands, Denmark, India among others began the so called IPP journey 30-50 years ago. Ours only began FULLY in the Jonathan administration that paved way for Abuja Electricity Distribution Company, IEDC, BEDC, among others.

Fashola only needs to ride on the effort of Jonathan viz the IPP capacity. He has no excuse to fail.

The era of NEPA is over. The Denmark version of NEPA was terminated some 50 years ago.

A little Research can enlighten all and change our mentality in this country. The level of illiteracy is so high.
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by ogunsbanjul(m): 4:16pm On Nov 11, 2015
If you like it a big mistake or anything. People like you will never see a good decision in whatever our God given president did today.God will Fashola Amaechi and othersto succeed in their resspective assignments in Jesus name

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by homirefacuny(m): 4:16pm On Nov 11, 2015
malton:
You're irredeemably myopic and skew-sighted if you see anything wrong with the merging. Enemies within!

Merging these ministries will make for efficiency and bring into perspective activities of ministries which hitherto cannot be accounted for. There's need to bring them under one umbrella for effective management and control in a bid to reduce cost, both financial and those that cannot be monetised.

Fash performed excellently at state level, I don't see why the assigned portfolio should be too much for him. If anything, it demonstrates the faith Mr president has in him and his abilities.

Dire moments call for drastic measures!
God replenish your wisdom.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Lordave: 4:17pm On Nov 11, 2015
PassingShot:

When those ministries were seperate with separate ministers, did we get the desired results?

If Fashola could perform as a h governor of Lagos with all those ministries under him, let's just take it that he has a mini state in the new FEC. With the right permanent secretaries and advisers, he will do just fine.
Nobody is looking down on Fashola. Power alone is enough for him to win the people's heart the more if he can successfully fix all the mess we have been witnessing.

You say LAgos state? Did he fix power issue in 3000 square kilometres Lagos with just around 20m people?

Power isn't like aviation or agriculture that affects just a percentage of the country, he will be dealing with 170m people and that is enough already, but why adding another burden?

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by dokunbam(m): 4:17pm On Nov 11, 2015
All these side talks will not stop the ship from moving

They must have deliberated on it before they merge it or give the responsibility to Fashola

Am praying and hoping they will not fail us
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by oteneaaron(m): 4:18pm On Nov 11, 2015
Lordave:

WE DO NOT WANT EXCUSES!

One wailer heard.......next!!!!!
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by deeptesting(m): 4:18pm On Nov 11, 2015
Lordave:
I wasn't expecting you to easily comprehend what I meant.

I mean say the merged ministries dey too much for one man, e go slow the process of change and we fit remain like this after Buhari leaves.

It will not slow the process in any way... If you really understand the nature and terrain of Governing Lagos State then you would understand the three ministries cum under one will not in anyway be a herculean task for Mr. Babatune Raji Fashola. Like Lagos state what we need is a visionary leader, one with the political will and a pedestal for high achievement and i think the Minister in person of Raji Fashola possesses all these qulaities.

However, this is a Federal appointment unlike Lagos State where he has direct access to fund and can hire and fire his subordinates who fails to perform, the only obstacle i foresee is the Federal Bureaucracy and proper relationship between the Minister of state and the Federal Minister.

Long Live The Federal Republic Of Nigeria.
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by mapet: 4:18pm On Nov 11, 2015
Acidosis:
Power Issues in Nigeria cannot be fixed in 10years.

Obj and Jonathan have set a landmark by reforming the power sector. Thr call for Power Sector reform in Nigeria came in too late, some countries like Netherlands, Denmark, India among others began the so called IPP journey 30-50 years ago. Ours only began FULLY in the Jonathan administration that paved way for Abuja Electricity Distribution Company, IEDC, BEDC, among others.

Fashola only needs to ride on the effort of Jonathan viz the IPP capacity. He has no excuse to fail.

The era of NEPA is over. The Denmark version of NEPA was terminated some 50 years ago.

Lay off that cheap drugs Bro.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Ibelong2God: 4:19pm On Nov 11, 2015
Lordave:
I wasn't expecting you to easily comprehend what I meant.

I mean say the merged ministries dey too much for one man, e go slow the process of change and we fit remain like this after Buhari leaves.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahhaahahahahahahhahahaahahhahaahahahahahhaahaahhhhaaahahhahahahahahahahah
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Lordave: 4:21pm On Nov 11, 2015
joseph1832:
I believe Fashola to be a man of repute, so, if he can not handle the herculean task given to him by PMB, he should say so and let PMB look for another...

Truthfully speaking, I believe its a mistake to merge the ministry of works and power together, both ministry are very sensitive. I look forward and hope that PMB and Fashola will allay our doubts by showing he can handle what is given him.
Another person who understands what I'm saying.

Very sensitive ministries that directly affect the live of every Nigerian and needs independent attention.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Lordave: 4:22pm On Nov 11, 2015
koxi:
No hard feelings, but ministry of power alone is enough sleepless nights for one person. Let alone works and housing inclusive........for the records shebi fashola na lawyer?
How law and engineering take relate ooooo? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Guk: 4:24pm On Nov 11, 2015
Lordave:

WE DO NOT WANT EXCUSES!

I read your treatise from top to bottom and would therefore like to point out aa few things

(1) There was a Steve Orosanye report during GEJ's regime that recommended merging and collapsing of MDAs which on analysis was applauded by all and sundry. Now, PMB implements it, u are angry......na wa o!

(2) Power: BRF, through PPP, provided constant Power supply to Lagos Island and Alausa using Diesel plant and Gas respectively. Over and over again, APC had mentioned that they will adopt the template of LASG for Fed Govt, so, why can it be wrong to put a man with the implementation experience there?

(3) Housing: Put all the states in Nigeria together, they did not build any where near the number of housing units BRF delivered. We have middle level employees in companies now owning houses in Lagos cos of BRF.

(4) Works: for those who live in Lagos, it's was obvious that BRF was a Project and Implementation delivery Gov....he delivered Water works; initiated transport alleviation projects(Metro rail; Cable Car; Private Taxi Cabs; opened up Lekki and Badagry) so. Works is not a big deal. He has the experience

(5) His style of management has clearly shown that he can manage many more ministries sef as he would have Perm Secretaries and Department Directors and heads of parastatals to work with.

Begin to look out for real change within the next 18months

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by adanny01(m): 4:29pm On Nov 11, 2015
Lordave:

WE DO NOT WANT EXCUSES!

You have no idea.

Ministry of power is a very very small ministry especially with the privatisation of PHCN, infact if not the smallest ministry before now. It does not have so much of work to do than to make policy for other government regulatary bodies and parastal. Few of them are NERC, TCN, NIPP(NDPHC). Disco's and GENCO's are private and controled by NERC.

Tell me what major direct responsibilty that falls on the ministry of power that you would have them in a seperate ministry with minister, perm sec, a very big office allocation and all the over head.

Buhari took the best decision.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by olusola2bello: 4:30pm On Nov 11, 2015
i think we sometimes forget that The Ministers do no necessarily do all d work. Their jobs are like supervisors, to act as a link between the Minsitry and the Government. If u have worked in a ministry before u will know that the Minister is normally assisted by the Perm Sec, Technical Assistants, Advicers and a host of other officials both from the Ministry and the MDAs underneath them.
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by hotdi(m): 4:30pm On Nov 11, 2015
Buhari is not salt that can satisfy everybody. Your opinion is noted. Next pls.
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Emekamex(m): 4:31pm On Nov 11, 2015
mapet:

Bros,

1. Unfortunately it is difficult to give "accurate reason" to a submission that makes no sense
2. That you want us to react to it, any other way, also calls to question on what premise you expect use to "argue intelligently" with you, if not to question your scale on intelligence
3. We do not expect you to support PMB, we have taken our understand of your limits........i.e. continue wailing grin grin grin grin

You made no sense.
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by massive1019(m): 4:34pm On Nov 11, 2015
Dats wat mak evrytn interestin.....2 evry action dere must b equal and opposite reaction. no gud change eva com witout critics.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by holajeedayy: 4:36pm On Nov 11, 2015
ayo2pec:
You dont need a technician to handle any ministry but an administrator like Fashola.

For me this is the best ever.

just look at what u said,u have forgotten what Buhari was told in usa.....so politician that knows how to thief money are the best are u sleeping or not in nigeria to see what NNPC boss did in nnpc,dis u listen to him when talking to senate ,guy na wa for your sense oooo
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Lordave: 4:38pm On Nov 11, 2015
obailala:
The merged ministry for Power, Works and Housing is no doubt a herculean ministry, and as such needs a Hercules to man it; Fashola has just been made the Defacto Prime Minister of Nigeria. Something you need to understand however is that Buhari wasn't joking when he called the ministers "Noise Makers." The ministries have now been repositioned in such a way that the permanent secretaries would be very powerful and would be the ones doing most of the work, even while the ministers would only just report as noise makers to Nigerians and the presidency.
This is thoughtful!

It's hard to believe he made that comment just because he's garrulous.
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by bashydemy(m): 4:39pm On Nov 11, 2015
I know wailers will always wail ni.. OP we don hear you, Fashola will perform beyond ecpectation.
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by RickyTan: 4:40pm On Nov 11, 2015
BRF is a proven man.
My prayer is that he turns Nigeria into a construction site from North to South, East to West.
The past government FAILED us. I hope this is a new dawn, so that Nigerians can live like the rest of the world with steady Power (electricity) and modern infrastructure.

May God Bless US All
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Myself2(m): 4:40pm On Nov 11, 2015
Lordave:

WE DO NOT WANT EXCUSES!
[size=18pt]
You're so on point
The issue of power is the single most pressing need in this country now,so it's a major one that requires it's own ministry,works and housing are equally gigantic in scope and challenge,so why merge the two ministries and appoint a non-professional to handle them both....
Only a daft,backward-thinking man like DULLARDino Muumuuhari can take such a stewpid decision and it's only the lying liars aka brainwashed broomoids that will applaud such a retrogressive move[/size]

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by blackpriest0911: 4:41pm On Nov 11, 2015
Wailers continue wailing
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by 175(m): 4:43pm On Nov 11, 2015
Fashola is the best man for the job! This is the real change! Nigeria wins again!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Photo Of Governor Akeredolu In Hospital With His Wife, Betty / Buhari Departs For The US With His Delegation (Photos) / Osinbajo Mobbed In Ilorin, Kwara. Security Overwhelmed (Photos, Videos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.