Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,375 members, 7,800,750 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:37 AM

Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy (62616 Views)

Ram Goat Rearing And Fattening / Benefits Of Rearing Animals(my Farm And I) / Feasibility for rearing 100 Broilers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by zayons: 10:49pm On Apr 26, 2017
zayons:

our next discussion will be on basic materials, including drugs and skills that every intending goat farmer should have .
just hang around

This list is basic if you want to succeed as goat farmer- small scale or large scale. even if you have access to a vet, you still need this list for your own good. here is the list :

1. rectal thermometer. you will need to take your goat's temperature sometimes. you will not always have a vet to do this for you. have it and monitor the health of your goat
2. Drencher - to administer oral drugs
3. syringes
4. needles
5. Activated charcoal

to be contd.

2 Likes

Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by PretzelPlus(m): 3:11am On Apr 27, 2017
zayons : please can I have a good phone number for you. I have a goat farm as well and I want to ask you some questions.
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by PretzelPlus(m): 3:18am On Apr 27, 2017
Picture of goats and sheeps on my farm.

2 Likes

Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by zayons: 7:16am On Apr 27, 2017
PretzelPlus:
zayons : please can I have a good phone number for you. I have a goat farm as well and I want to ask you some questions.
OK
0816 806 4251

1 Like

Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by tabontabon: 11:34am On May 11, 2017
Pls,can a unused poultry pen be converted to rear/breed WAD goats (zero grazing).

How many months from birth does it take a WAD goat to mature for sales?

What is the average price of a six months old WAD goat

zayons:
OK
0816 806 4251
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by zayons: 8:26pm On May 12, 2017
tabontabon:
Pls,can a unused poultry pen be converted to rear/breed WAD goats (zero grazing).

yes but how is the floor ? you may need to modify the floor and make it suitable for goats
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by zayons: 8:34pm On May 12, 2017
tabontabon:

How many months from birth does it take a WAD goat to mature for sales?

maturity depends to a large extent on management especially nutrition . with proper management and under intensive zero grazing system goats are ready for meat production at 10 months and for breeding at 6/7 months .
again management is critical here .
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by zayons: 8:40pm On May 12, 2017
tabontabon:

What is the average price of a six months old WAD goat

that will depend on many factors. but recently the price of goats had gone up significantly .

the age , current health status of the goat, weight/size, the owner or seller, locality , the buyers skill/knowledge about goat etc are all factors that determine the price.
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by GGfadar(m): 11:55pm On May 12, 2017
U r very correct,
Maturity depends on breed, environmental factors, nutrition, season of birth and presence of males in flock

Maturity in terms of reproduction should b between 7-8 months and maximum of 12 months for some breeds

zayons:

maturity depends to a large extent on management especially nutrition . with proper management and under intensive zero grazing system goats are ready for meat production at 10 months and for breeding at 6/7 months .
again management is critical here .
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by tabontabon: 9:30am On May 13, 2017
The floor is concrete and the pen is 25ft by 48ft approximately.

zayons:

yes but how is the floor ? you may need to modify the floor and make it suitable for goats
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by zayons: 9:41pm On Jun 20, 2017
zayons:

our next discussion will be on basic materials, including drugs and skills that every intending goat farmer should have .
just hang around

cont'd.
1. Antibiotics especially propen and oxytet
2. Epinephrine in case of anaphylactic shock
3. vegetable oil or our own palm oil
4. vit b co
5. Dewormers

these are basic materials . you may need others but you will always need these if you are a serious goat farmer . I don't mean those who rear goats at home on free range . they don't need any basic material since they are really not after profit or doing it as a business.

but for serious goat farmer or intending goat farmer prepare to get them and if possible get the other matetials not listed here . I listed only few basic ones here.

cheers
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by Preprobiotics: 7:23pm On Jun 25, 2017
Molasses and Lactobacillus Serum for Livestock, Poultry and Home Use
Undiluted Organic Molasses for Strong Nutritional Value with many Health Benefits. Lactobachillus a Superb Growth Booster for Livestock, Poultry and Fish Farming, Also an effective Foul ODOUR Removal for Farms, Households, Dust Bins,Sewage, etc.
Call: 08121790440 Price from =N=1,500

Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by TobyKya(m): 6:45pm On Jul 07, 2017
Goat farming is one of those agricultural ventures that can make you a fortune.

Nonetheless, it isn’t without its own challenges, especially in Nigeria. The secret to success is to learn much about the care and business of goat farming. And that's why I visit this thread from time to time. Hope the info will not stop coming.

I have also put together a piece on how to start goat farming in Nigeria.
It's a beginners guide.
You can check it out here: http://www.trustorrun.com/start-goat-farming-beginners/
Have fun.
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by Willie2015: 1:51pm On Aug 18, 2017
TobyKya:
Goat farming is one of those agricultural ventures that can make you a fortune.

Nonetheless, it isn’t without its own challenges, especially in Nigeria. The secret to success is to learn much about the care and business of goat farming. And that's why I visit this thread from time to time. Hope the info will not stop coming.

I have also put together a piece on how to start goat farming in Nigeria.
It's a beginners guide.
You can check it out here: http://www.trustorrun.com/start-goat-farming-beginners/
Have fun.

How do you make fortune in goat farming ?

- Don't see any commercial farms around like piggery, poultry etc
- Even the North depends on the small scale holders to supply their markets
- Don't see anyone ard making good monthly income from breeding goats around
- Exotic goats like Boer & Kahalari are not even available on ground
- We see around guys that made it cool dough from poultry and piggery etc..... u dont get to see wealthy goat farmers around.

My 2cents
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by mhaki(m): 2:06pm On Aug 18, 2017
I'm looking for land to start goat farm somewhere close to Lagos.
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by zayons: 8:32am On Aug 19, 2017
Willie2015:

How do you make fortune in goat farming ?

- Don't see any commercial farms around like piggery, poultry etc
- Even the North depends on the small scale holders to supply their markets
- Don't see anyone ard making good monthly income from breeding goats around
- Exotic goats like Boer & Kahalari are not even available on ground
- We see around guys that made it cool dough from poultry and piggery etc..... u dont get to see wealthy goat farmers around.

My 2cents

(1) that is the more reason why more people should go into goat farming. it is not that the market is not there or profit not to be made. the market is still huge both local and foreign. one of the things that determines the profitability of any venture is the market size.

(2) you may not have seen commercial goat farm but that does not mean there are none. they are there and it is good they are making money quietly.
again assuming there are none , that is an opportunity for you. imagine you having a farm of 5,000 goats. you are richer than a poultry farmer of 50,000 birds. do the maths yourself.

(3) people tend to commonise the issue of goat because it had always been with us. until you take it to commercial level you won't see the potential . for start ups goats are better than cattle.

(4) no serious goat farmer will be making announcement of their profit. what for? if you are waiting for the announcement so as to be convinced then you will wait for long.

(6) exotic goats around ? they are in the country but not necessary for your success. in fact our WAD is one of the best breed for milk production better than many foreign breed. Boer and Kalahari are good for meat not milk . goat milk production is even more profitable than meat but requires more capital.

conclusion
goat farming is still one of the best investment you can consider. goats are like current accounts. your goat bring money almost instantly. the market is always there . and the profit is always there. the problem had always been with meeting the market demand.

with kebbi state govt planning to export 2,000 goats daily to foreign country , there is likelihood of supply shortfall and price increase. although price had increased of recent. more profit for goat owners am sure.
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by zayons: 8:59am On Aug 19, 2017
Aside nutrition one other important skill that all goat farmers should have is taking care of kids. it is extremely important because a huge portion of your profit depends on this.

Simple analysis for a doe
in the worst scenario, one female goat will kid thrice in two years(minimum) producing singleton once and twins twice(twining rate is always high with good management for all goats irrespective of breed. with good breeds, thrice twining and triplets is possible). that means in two years , your one female goat population had increased to seven goats(the first kid would have produced her own one kid if not two).

now these kids must be well managed. it is a skill and I intend to share some thoughts on these .

meanwhile see some of my goat kids from my zero grazing farm. about one week old .

Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by Biotics: 12:45pm On Aug 19, 2017
The Organic Booster and Deodourizer (OBD) made from[b] Lactic Acid Bacteria is a wholesome product[/b] and the most commonly used Probiotic agent that improves growth performance, feed conversion efficiency, nutrient utilization, intestinal microbiota, gut health and regulates immune system in animals especially, Chickens, Turkeys ,Cattle, Horses, Pigs, Sheep, Goats, Dogs, Rabbit, Fishes, etc.

OBD is the Easy Solution to Odourless Farming. It also gives Optimum Production for your Broilers, Turkey, Poultry Birds generally, Pigs, Livestock, Rabbits, Dogs, Horse,, It also Boost Broilers Development and improves Immunity in Poultry Birds, Fish and Animals generally. It is the Solution for Fish Ponds dirty/foul water removal, healthy and rapid Fish Growth.

Your animals will not also fall sick on E-Coli and Salmonella which means less spending on drugs because it improves their immune system.

Therefore TAKE the ADVANTAGE of this wonderful Product and Start FARMING ANYWHERE without disturbing your Neighbours or NEIGHBOURHOOD.

OBD is the Superb Growth Booster for Livestock, Poultry, Piggery and Fish Farming, Also an effective FOUL ODOUR REMOVAL for Farms, Households, Sewage, Dust Bins, etc.

BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES is a SUPERFOOD and has strong NUTRITIONAL VALUE with many HEALTH BENEFITS.

Molasses is high in iron, magnesium, potassium, and calcium, all of which are important to man and animal's health.

The OBD is =N=1,000 per Litre and the Blackstrap Molasses is =N=1,500 per Litre.

Kindly call or Whatsapp 09096429203 to place your order.

Thanking you for your Patronage.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by moyin2009: 10:46pm On Oct 22, 2017
@zayons, I really appreciate your efforts you are a good citizen of the great nation. thanks for been there.
please,I don't mind if I can get some stems of mulberry. thanks I will give you a call soon. my WhatsApp is 08023936468 Emmanuel
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by avonoshi(m): 3:23pm On Nov 16, 2017
I must commend @zayon for the thread. well informed and precise
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by olofin1985: 12:32pm On Jan 31, 2018
IF YOU NEED WEST AFRICA DWARF GOAT FOR YOUR FARMS OR FOR DIFFERENT OCCASIONS OR YOU NEED A TECHNICAL ADVISE ON GOATERY CALL ME TODAY 08029563481.
I CAN ALSO HELP YOU TO ESTABLISH YOUR FARMS FOR FREE OF CHARGE.
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by orlabass(m): 8:15pm On Feb 27, 2018
Anybody with boer goat, in ibadan I want to buy. Pls whatsap 08131034663.
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by zayons: 5:07pm On Mar 04, 2018
zayons:

Aside nutrition one other important skill that all goat farmers should have is taking care of kids. it is extremely important because a huge portion of your profit depends on this.

Simple analysis for a doe
in the worst scenario, one female goat will kid thrice in two years(minimum) producing singleton once and twins twice(twining rate is always high with good management for all goats irrespective of breed. with good breeds, thrice twining and triplets is possible). that means in two years , your one female goat population had increased to seven goats(the first kid would have produced her own one kid if not two).

now these kids must be well managed. it is a skill and I intend to share some thoughts on these .

meanwhile see some of my goat kids from my zero grazing farm. about one week old .

happy new year
I have been very busy and could not update this thread
now let us resume our discussions on goat farming
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by zayons: 5:21pm On Mar 04, 2018
Kid Care in Goat Farming

like I said earlier every serious goat farmer should master the skill of taking care of goat kids from birth to weaning

ideally kids are usually weaned at 3 months but it can even be earlier if you have a well structured breeding program .

in a normal situation labour and delivery should be uneventful. there should be no issue . assisting delivery is also a skill and not part of this discussion

after the kid is delivered it should be given breast milk by the mother withing 24 hours . the best time time is actually within the first 20 mins.

this breast milk is special and very vital for the survival and good health of the kid. the milk is called colostrum .

cont'd

1 Like

Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by zellis001: 6:45pm On Mar 17, 2018
I recently bought 12 goats - 10 does n 2 bucks. After 2 weeks, 1 of the bucks had diarhea and mucus discharge from the nose. After den, 1 by 1 dey began 2 display same symptoms but they are all fine now. A vet dr adminstered some medication on them. Before the medication, all the does were pregnant (they were bought pregnant) wen i bought them but dey started 2 lose their kids. 6 of them have lost their kids and 2 does died after days afta losing their kids. I purchased dem from katsina n i live in kaduna. I dont know if it is the stress of bringing dem here that is causing the abortion storm.

Has any1 experience this before?
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by jp130(m): 7:26am On Mar 18, 2018
Dis is worrisome o. D cost of purchase, logistics n medication go b high. Out of 3 does I bought(2hausa n 1WAD), I lost 2 remaining remaining 1 Hausa wic is preg n may deliver dis week
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by zayons: 7:59pm On Mar 19, 2018
zellis001:
I recently bought 12 goats - 10 does n 2 bucks. After 2 weeks, 1 of the bucks had diarhea and mucus discharge from the nose. After den, 1 by 1 dey began 2 display same symptoms but they are all fine now. A vet dr adminstered some medication on them. Before the medication, all the does were pregnant (they were bought pregnant) wen i bought them but dey started 2 lose their kids. 6 of them have lost their kids and 2 does died after days afta losing their kids. I purchased dem from katsina n i live in kaduna. I dont know if it is the stress of bringing dem here that is causing the abortion storm.

many things can cause stress in goat. sometimes newly transported goat can have stress especially if it is over a long distance and also as a result of change in environment .

many at times stress may lead to sickness such sickness may present with symptoms such as diarrhea, fever, nasal discharge and coughing. there may be abortion along the line. so your experience is not strange .

next time your newly acquired goat should be isolated and specially attended to.
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by zayons: 8:05pm On Mar 19, 2018
jp130:
Dis is worrisome o. D cost of purchase, logistics n medication go b high. Out of 3 does I bought(2hausa n 1WAD), I lost 2 remaining remaining 1 Hausa wic is preg n may deliver dis week

don't be scared . it will not always be like this. you are still learning the ropes. once you gain more experience , such situations will never cone up again
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by dnapstar(m): 12:27pm On Mar 20, 2018
zellis001:

Really sad, sorry for the lose. I wanted to ask how much it cost you to buy and transport them to kaduna. I intend to buy from kastina and transport to Suleja(Niger state)
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by zellis001: 2:46pm On Mar 20, 2018
dnapstar:

Really sad, sorry for the lose. I wanted to ask how much it cost you to buy and transport them to kaduna. I intend to buy from kastina and transport to Suleja(Niger state)

Thanks 4 d concern. I got d bucks 4 7500 minimum and the doe 4 a maximum of 12,000. Some of the does were sold 4 10,000 - 11,000 depending on how far their pregnancy was. The transport cost was 250k cuz the truck was loaded wit goats and sacks of their feed.
Re: Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy by zayons: 4:39am On Mar 21, 2018
zellis001:

Thanks 4 d concern. I got d bucks 4 7500 minimum and the doe 4 a maximum of 12,000. Some of the does were sold 4 10,000 - 11,000 depending on how far their pregnancy was. The transport cost was 250k cuz the truck was loaded wit goats and sacks of their feed.

the transport cost appear to be on the high side. do you mean to say 250k or 25k ? 250k for 12 goats is high for me. that is about 20k per goat transport cost.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

What My Fish Farm & Fishing Occupation Gave Me / Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm / Why Can't Apples Grow In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.