Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,768 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:33 PM

Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers (50327 Views)

Some Ministers Are Squatting In Abuja - Amaechi / Buhari Shocked By States' Inability To Pay Salaries / Some Ministers Will Have No Portfolios, Buhari Insists. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by kahal29: 3:43am On Nov 12, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari did not assign key portfolios to some ministers following security reports, it was learnt yesterday.

He placed priority on expertise and performance in assigning portfolios to ministers, sources told The Nation.

The President was also said to have disappointed some of those who lobbied for “strategic” ministries.

Ministers may be placed under watch and anyone who gets into trouble will be dropped, it was learnt.

All Progressives Congress (APC) National Leader Asiwaju Bola Tinubu yesterday urged them to be creative.

According to sources, until the inauguration time, the list of portfolios was known to only Buhari and members of his “kitchen cabinet”.

The list was kept under wraps in such a tidy manner that even the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation and the President’s aides were unaware.

Six factors, which informed the assignment of portfolios, were security reports, less exposure to politics, priority on expertise and performance, ongoing investigations of some appointees and distaste for lobbying and media profiling by some appointees ; and Buhari’s military background which sent signal to ministers that no one is assured of any position in his cabinet.

Investigation revealed that after the nomination and confirmation of the ministers, Buhari still asked relevant agencies to conduct a more discreet investigation of the would-be ministers.

The outcome of the “surveillance” was presented to the President and his kitchen cabinet in deciding the choice of portfolios.

A source, who spoke in confidence last night, said: “Most of us, including the ministers themselves, were shocked when the portfolios were announced. In fact, some ministers were just unstable. The President and his inner cabinet kept the list secret. They didn’t allow it to leak at all.

“If the portfolios had been made available to any other office or desk, we would have known. So, the President used his military background to send the first message to the ministers that he has no favourite and they should always expect surprises.

“From the way the President assigned portfolios, nothing is settled on any minister. If anybody gets into trouble, he will not spare him or her.”

The source also spoke on security reports on the ministers as accounting for the outlook of the portfolios.

The source added: “There were reports that a minister had already formed a power cult around himself, such that those expected to serve under him had been paying obeisance.

“Another minister was holding discussions with some foreign partners based on assumption that a particular ministry had been conceded to him.

“Some ministers were openly telling friends, associates, party leaders and even key aides to the President that they will be in charge of some ministries.

“With security apparatchik and communication advantage, you know the President has access to more information than anyone else. He picked some of these information and decided to surprise these ministers.

“ He detested that some ministers had air around themselves that some ministries are their birthright.”

Responding to a question, the source said: “You cannot rule out the fact that there are some ministers who did not get what they would have thought to be commensurate portfolios. But that is the working of the government for you.”

The source added that security reports made the President to concede some portfolios to a few ministers – to challenge their competence.

Ministers with surprising portfolios following last-minute decisions by the kitchen cabinet include Adamu Adamu(Education); Adebayo Shittu(Communications); Usani Usani(Niger Delta Affairs); Monsur Dan-Ali(Defence); Geoffrey Onyeama(Foreign Affairs); and Cladius Daramola (Minister of State for Niger Delta), who was said to have been billed for the Education ministry.

Another source also indicated that the President applied expertise and performance target in allotting portfolios to some ministers.

These yardsticks were said to have accounted for the portfolios of Kemi Adeosun (Finance), Babatunde Fashola (Power, Works and Housing), Audu Ogbeh (Agriculture and Rural Development); Abubakar Malami (Kebbi); Suleiman Adamu (Water Resources); Ibe Kachikwu (Petroleum Resources); Udo Udoma (Budget and National Planning); Prof. Isaac Adewole (Health); Amina Mohammed (Environment); Dr.Osagie Ehanire (Health); Lai Mohammed (Information); and Rotimi Amaechi, Hadi Sirika (Transportation)

The second source added: “The thinking of the President is that most of those in this group, with the exception of Amaechi, have no political ambition in the nearest future. They are mostly experts who can deliver on the key areas of governance which can make the change he promised to the nation a reality. What Amaechi has going for him is vitality or energy to serve and knack for quality projects.

“With these experts manning vital ministries, there will be less pressure on them from politicians and hangers on. Their assignments alone will preoccupy them.

“So, their portfolios were based on a performance driven target.

A government source also claimed that some of the ongoing investigations of some ministers and the attitude of some and lobbying by some contributed to the nature of the portfolios given to them.

“For instance, there are two or three ministers with issues. A few others sent emissaries and some erroneously confided in a few people close to the President that they will be in charge of some ministries.

“The President decided to prove them wrong completely.”

Asked to describe the atmosphere after the portfolios were announced, the top government official simply said: “Some ministers were certainly weak.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/portfolios-how-buhari-shocked-some-ministers/

8 Likes

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by Demmocrats(m): 3:44am On Nov 12, 2015
smiley My Sai Buhari is full of surprises.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by Nobody: 4:10am On Nov 12, 2015
This is awesome! Fayemi would be particularly disappointed. Maybe he was the one boasting about that Foreign ministry is his birthright. shocked shocked Baba decided to show him pepper! tongue

73 Likes 1 Share

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by Jofet(m): 4:18am On Nov 12, 2015
Abeg I de find sleep oooooo!!! To all ICAN students burning candle now - GOODLUCK!

21 Likes

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by menix(m): 4:29am On Nov 12, 2015
Johnpaul88:
This is awesome! Fayemi would be particularly disappointed. Maybe he was the one boasting about that Foreign ministry is his birthright. shocked shocked Baba decided to show him pepper! tongue

Nah Fayemi own worst pass, the guy is certainly going to buy Digger nd shovel wey him go dey use find Gold, Myrrh nd other solid minerals..

I discovered Enugu has Black Gold, can someone inform Fayemi..

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by wallex1983(m): 5:14am On Nov 12, 2015
Fayemi has a good ministry in which he can prove himself. It's a 'virgin' ministry in the sense that not much has been done in that ministry. He only needs to do a few meaningful things and he would be celebrated.

My prayers are for Kemi Adeosun who seem to be entering into an oversized shoe, and for Fasola who has entered into a tight shoe.

Nigerians, pls join me to also pray for POWER for Fasola to effectively WORK in that HOUSE.

250 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by Gbawe: 5:33am On Nov 12, 2015
Johnpaul88:

I think it will be the other way round actually i.e Fayemi will be very happy he got mineral resources rather than foreign affairs. Fayemi has gained a very important and critical portfolio under a government that is very serious, even desperate, about diversifying Nigeria's economy and earning power away from oil. Agriculture and effective commercial mining of Nigeria's minerals endowment are two of the fastest way to do this.

Buhari will be too painfully aware he must break the vicious cycle of Nigeria's over-reliance on oil that has now mired us in an economic downturn. For the challenges facing Nigeria today, I don't see how foreign affairs can be deemed as important as mineral resources.

105 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by lorbah001(m): 5:34am On Nov 12, 2015
Fayemi got a fantastic portfolio cuz a lil breakthrough there will amount to massive celebration, REMEMBER we DIVERSIFYING our economy

I feel for KEMI ADEOSUN,its indeed a BIG SHOE, I wish her well!
BRF has got a cumbersome ministry right there, I remember how BOLA IGE's effort under OBJ was boycotted..... I pray our BRF succeed.

I'm rather shocked @dambazau's, buh interior ain't bad, moreover, police is under interior now too

AMEACHI is the winner here believe me, no apologies to those that devised so many means to pull him down...... He's got a considerable amount of parastatals under him mehn

I'm gonna say it again dat d wellness has started since MARCH28

67 Likes 1 Share

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by johnsonjosbles(m): 5:40am On Nov 12, 2015
We now see Buhari is an old man with wisdom! Ministarian position was delayed for a very good reason, 1) he studied the rot in all ministry got facts, sack all the permanent secretries. 2) he scruitnice all nominated ministers with the help of media hilabalooo to chalenge them of task ahead.3) this suprise stuff. He(buhari) now make office of the minister a serious stuff not a joke situation when PDP plays with ministries as source of income for politicians! Now we r geting there

121 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by mannobi(m): 5:45am On Nov 12, 2015
With all these stories, all I can say is congratulations to Tunde Fashola who looks like the engine room of this administration. I am also happy for Isaac ADEWOLE we from Ibadan call him IFA.
Finally to the finance minister, please don't bring World Bank Policies that are detrimental to us like madam Ngozi. Great news is that NIGERIA SHALL RISE AGAIN......

51 Likes

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by donbigboy(m): 5:51am On Nov 12, 2015
Congratulations to the NEW Minsters!

Madam Kemi of FINANCE is certainly going to have the TEST of her life managing that ministry in the era of TSA and falling oil price....

Oga Fashola welcome to politics at the National Level sir.... Hope you will not build a highways for Nigerians with our tax money and toll them as well.... Beside, one of your portfolio I so much like is that of Ministry of POWER which you as an individual criticised the past administration for inability to fix power. Its on record that in one of the APC campaign rallies you told the whole world that ANY government who can't fix power for Nigerians within six (6) months has no business been in Government...

Oga Fasola, welcome on board....

Btw we don't won't your multiple taxation....

Nigerians are watching..... And the gods are also watching....

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by benuejosh: 5:51am On Nov 12, 2015
So help them God.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by olumide81(m): 5:59am On Nov 12, 2015
I am elated no doubt, it thus sounds like this is a square peg in a square hole, lets hit the ground running. God bless Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by handie(m): 6:03am On Nov 12, 2015
Na so! Baba, keep showing them who d boss is. Unlike the past where some ministers are above d law, can refuse to honor a legitimate senate summons and even choose their own portfolio. Buhari making his ministers know that a slip and u're out. I love this old soldier from Daura. I'm convinced I made d right decision on March 28 2015

37 Likes

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by ionsman: 6:07am On Nov 12, 2015
I am very certain these three people were disappointed.....

1. James Ocholi -After all the buzz of being minister of Justice, he was assigned state for labour.

2. Abdulrahman Dambazau - He was nailed on to be defence minister,but he got interior.

3. Kayode Fayemi - No comment...Lol grin

P.S : Am getting some silly mentions which funny enough are from my fellow comrades.

FYI, the topic of the thread was " How Buhari shocked some ministers". I wrote a list of those I felt were shocked to get something different from what was being speculated and different from what they were screened with at the Senate.

What do I see, people trying to talk to me about interior/solid mineral ministries. Did I indicate in my write up that what they got wasn't good?

Na wa for una!

11 Likes

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by handie(m): 6:07am On Nov 12, 2015
Buhari might not take us to the promised land but I have no doubt he'll set us on d path.

45 Likes

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by Gbawe: 6:09am On Nov 12, 2015
johnsonjosbles:
We now see Buhari is an old man with wisdom! Ministarian position was delayed for a very good reason, 1) he studied the rot in all ministry got facts, sack all the permanent secretries. 2) he scruitnice all nominated ministers with the help of media hilabalooo to chalenge them of task ahead.3) this suprise stuff. He(buhari) now make office of the minister a serious stuff not a joke situation when PDP plays with ministries as source of income for politicians! Now we r geting there

You pretty much summed everything up. Buhari had to be measured and thorough because the PDP had virtually bastardized all sectors of government work and the corresponding Ministries attached to them. The PDP sabotaged every Ministry and insisted Ministers conducted their affair in ways were all processes became slush funds for the private use of PDP members and their affiliates. You cannot reverse that sort of deep rot acting rashly and without making yourself completely aware of the problem and its extent. This is why PMB had to take his time. We all now see the man knows precisely what he is doing.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by SonOfEl(m): 6:11am On Nov 12, 2015
Sycophants everywhere counting eggs before they hatch...ah....ah.....let them at be for at least a year before assessing.....na wa for some Fulani arselickers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by handie(m): 6:13am On Nov 12, 2015
Looking @ the portfolios and the different individuals they were assigned to, u'll see that Buhari actually means well for the nation. I believe that the portfolios assigned to Fashola, Fayemi and Amaechi are based on the fact that he has spent time with them, and knows they can get the job done. With Fayemi in d solid minerals ministry, expect the operation of Ajaokuta steel mill before 2019. In Amaechi, I see someone with hunger and desire to succeed to prove his detractors wrong.
[q] “Another minister was holding discussions with
some foreign partners based on assumption
that a particular ministry had been conceded to
him.
[/q] Why do I have the believe that Kayode Fayemi is this minister?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by Nobody: 6:14am On Nov 12, 2015
ionsman:

1. James Ocholi -After all the buzz of being minister of Justice, he was assigned state for labour.

2. Abdulrahman Dambazau - He was nailed on to be defence minister,but he got interior.

I feel for James Ocholi.... Dambazau got an excellent ministry....Under interior u have Police, Immigration et el... Fayemi is in for a real brain tasking ...I wish him and all others all the best....

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by Teryfik(m): 6:19am On Nov 12, 2015
FASHBABA
Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by PassingShot(m): 6:21am On Nov 12, 2015
Gbawe:

I think it will be the other way round actually i.e Fayemi will be very happy he got mineral resources rather than foreign affairs. Fayemi has gained a very important and critical portfolio under a government that is very serious, even desperate, about diversifying Nigeria's economy and earning power away from oil. Agriculture and effective commercial mining of Nigeria's minerals endowment are two of the fastest way to do this.

Buhari will be too painfully aware he must break the vicious cycle of Nigeria's over-reliance on oil that has now mired us in an economic downturn. For the challenges facing Nigeria today, I don't see how foreign affairs can be deemed as important as mineral resources.
True he has a better ministry in Solid Minerals especially considering PMB's resolve to diversify the economy. However he must have been a bit surprised at first for not getting Foreign Affairs.

Now, he has a much tougher job to impress the president and Nigerians within short time and if he fails to convince, trust PMB not to waste time in showing him the door.

I wish him good luck because he, Fashola and Amaechi especially need to perform well above average.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:21am On Nov 12, 2015
Johnpaul88:
Could you tell us where and when Fayemi boasted that Foreign Affairs was his birthright?

9 Likes

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by Nobody: 6:23am On Nov 12, 2015
Fayemi is a square peg in a square hole. Before now, the ministry of agriculture has been one very useless one but the last minister was able to make a name for himself and his ministry. Fayemi have the opportunity too, to rewrite history and put Nigeria on the map as a net exporter of various solid minerals

14 Likes

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by austentero: 6:25am On Nov 12, 2015
johnsonjosbles:

You are right bro

5 Likes

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by PassingShot(m): 6:26am On Nov 12, 2015
ionsman:

They all may have gotten something outside their expectations but Dambazau as an Interior Minister is a Class A minister. Same goes for Fayemi who has his work cut out as the driver of diversification of our economy. It's a make or mar for him.

11 Likes

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by Gbawe: 6:34am On Nov 12, 2015
ionsman:

I don't get you guys and how you keep mentioning Fayemi. Do you guys know the focus and top priorities of the Buhari government? I doubt you do when you think someone who is Minister of solid Minerals is disappointed he did not become Minister of foreign affairs. Fayemi gets the chance to lead a revolution in a critical sector key to assisting Nigeria diversify her economy away from a harmful dependence on income from crude sales. Let me put issues in perspective for you. We are in an economic downturn today because oil crashed from around $110.00 per barrel to around $45.00 today.

That means Nigeria has to run itself with almost a third less than it used to earn from the oil sector that account for around 70-80% of the total earnings of our nation. What do you then think the focus of a serious and responsible President would be if not to ensure, ASAP, we get out of this situation and never be exposed to it again through the creation of a robust and diversified economy where crude earnings in the future will account for a far less percentage of our total earning than it does today to our detriment?

The indolent, myopic and thieving PDP made the Mineral sector moribund and now Fayemi will get the chance to revive it with the support of a serious and sincere President and you guys are talking of foreign affairs? I don't think some of us understand that real leaders, who presented themselves to serve the people and not their pocket, always want the jobs/role that gives them the chance to make a big and real difference plus implement the greatest and most historical reforms.

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by HopeAtHand: 6:38am On Nov 12, 2015
Amaechi must be surely disappointed..he was dreaming thr Niger Delta ministry..a day aftet Amaechi was screened, an announcement was made in Port Harcourt that the Niger Delta ministry wpuld construct two flyover bridges on the East West road at Rumuokoro and Tank.

Those two locations mentioned for the fyovers were initially proposed by Amaechi as governor but failed to commence construction due to shortage of funds arising from his political battles..in essence, he was very certain of ND ministry...i feel for him now.

Kemi Adeosun, well, lets watch and see.

Fashola in addition to being very competent, needs the grace of God as well.The three in one portfolio IMO seems like the Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none situation..Buhari shouldn't unnecessary overlabour Fashola when there are also competent hands..The power situation in the country using PH as yardstick has imoroved so he would just add finer touches..Housing to me should be his primary concern.

Abdulrahman Dambazau...i weep for him..since Buhari won the election, Dambazau has been carrying the air of Minister of Defence around.he was instrumental to the sacking of DSS from manning sensitive locations in Aso rock and replacing them with DMI goons..he would surely have killed for the Defence post..all is not lost, he has the police to console him..better luck next time.

5 Likes

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by yusaasif(m): 6:39am On Nov 12, 2015
Good work Mr. President
Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by HopeAtHand: 6:41am On Nov 12, 2015
Lemme invite some PDP boys who wish Nigeria well.. cool

Tonyebarcanista and Truckpusher..

3 Likes

Re: Portfolios: How Buhari Shocked Some Ministers by palladin: 6:44am On Nov 12, 2015
The guys before me have said it all.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Presidency Speaks On Senate’s Demand For Magu’s Removal As EFCC Boss / Reno Omokri: Tinubu's Lagos Walk Makes Obidient Rallies Look Like Child’s Play / #EndSARS: Traffic Gridlock In Rivers As Pro-Buhari Protesters Take Over

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.