Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:29 AM

10 Myths About Introverts - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 10 Myths About Introverts (6455 Views)

10 Myths About Introverts. / Only Introverts Will Understand These / 10 Myths Of Introvert That Makes Introvert Exceptional From Extrovert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Myths About Introverts by Sultan5(m): 1:53am On Nov 13, 2015
Myth #1 : Introverts don’t like to talk.
This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

Myth #2 : Introverts are shy.
Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Myth #3 : Introverts are rude.
Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

Myth #4 : Introverts don’t like people.
On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Myth #5 : Introverts don’t like to go out in public.
Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Myth #6 : Introverts always want to be alone.
Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Myth #7 : Introverts are weird.
Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Myth #8 : Introverts are aloof nerds.
Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Myth #9 : Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.
Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

Myth #10 : Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.
A world without Introverts would be a world with few scientists, musicians, artists, poets, filmmakers, doctors, mathematicians, writers, and philosophers. That being said, there are still plenty of techniques an Extrovert can learn in order to interact with Introverts. (Yes, I reversed these two terms on purpose to show you how biased our society is.) Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

cc: Lalasticlala‎

[source: http://www.carlkingdom.com/10-myths-about-introverts

15 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by danielicon(m): 2:29am On Nov 13, 2015
Land for sale @2.5 mil slightly negotiable

Rightful property of danielicon
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by palladin: 3:19am On Nov 13, 2015
Nice one op

Btw no let INTROVERT catch you oh.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by momentum85(m): 4:10am On Nov 13, 2015
Introverts are smooth talkers and great leaders but it's better to have a slight extroverted traits which helps to fit-in in every mood/circumstance. If a guy who is an introvert toast a girl with all his heart, make I hear say d girl no fall. grin grin

7 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by RealAdewole(m): 5:16am On Nov 13, 2015
11. INTROVERT is the ftc queen
many pple may seeeee introvert as the ftc queen but she has been dethroned this days
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Rita5(f): 6:33am On Nov 13, 2015
Very insightful.

Oya mods to front page
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Griffon(m): 6:36am On Nov 13, 2015
Op is getting too many facts misconstrued.

Psychology makes it clear to us that an introvert is a person who's energized by being alone and whose energy is drained by being around with other people.

They enjoy thinking and exploring the inner world of the mind. The average introvert has nothing for social gathering and people.

The few introverts that talk too much, seldom parties and have fun are the ones that have sanguine registered as their secondary trait.

So myths 1, 4, 5 and 6 stand as facts.

1 Like

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Sultan5(m): 7:45am On Nov 13, 2015
Griffon:

Psychology makes it clear to us that an introvert is a person who's energized by being alone and whose energy is drained by being around with other people.

They enjoy thinking and exploring the inner world of the mind. The average introvert has nothing for social gathering and people.

The few introverts that talk too much, seldom parties and have fun are the ones that have sanguine registered as their secondary trait.

Sorry to say but you not getting the point. Introverts are drained from social gathering that much is true. But why is that??

Its because they are overwhelmed with the amount of strangers/people they don't know, at that gathering. Introverts are very lively in the gathering of their close friends, especially when the topic is something they are very interested in.

They don't hate being around people, they hate being around people they don't know . A person who hates been around people is anti-social not introvert please!!!

I have an introvert friend so I know what am talking about.

This friend of mine goes out in public, but she doesn't stay for long. Thats why she stopped going to churches with long services. She can go anywhere as long as she has at least 1 close friend there. If she knows no 1 there then she definitely won't go.

As par the no. 6, Introverts like being alone thats true, but over time they get bored. This is a fact, whether your Introvert or Extrovert. The different is, while Extroverts will likely go out and have fun, an introvert will find a close friend to talk to.

Now, introverts need people just as much as any other person. They need that companionship and socialization otherwise they can sink into depression or sadness like anyone else.

Simply defined, introverts are people who focus more on themselves, they turn to themselves (intro means 'inside', vertere means 'to turn'). This means that an introvert gains energy from being alone. That does not mean that introverts want to be alone all the time.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Stillfire: 5:14pm On Nov 13, 2015
You guys make introversion sound like a disease or something that needs to be fixed. grin tongue

They don't hate being around people, they hate being around people they don't know . A person who hates been around people is anti-social not introvert please!!!

True.

As par the no. 6, Introverts like being alone thats true, but over time they get lonely. This is a fact, whether your Introvert or Extrovert. The different is, while Extroverts will likely go out and have fun, an introvert will find a close friend to talk to.

I would replace lonely with 'get bored' with the state of your 'me' time. And then some external stimulation (extroversion -like going to parties) is required to get you back into yearning for your 'me' time again. grin Lonely is a state of not having a companion, a friend, a lover etc.

Simply defined, introverts are people who focus more on themselves, they turn to themselves (intro means 'inside', vertere means 'to turn'). This means that an introvert gains energy from being alone. That does not mean that introverts want to be alone all the time.

Agreed.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by edwife(f): 6:31pm On Nov 13, 2015
Amen,Amen and Amen. cheesy

You just described me; and who says you can't have fun at home? grin

Lonely? Nah..... smiley

3 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Kimoni: 7:03pm On Nov 13, 2015
Hehehehehe

OP, pls tell them

2 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by 5minsmadness: 7:43pm On Nov 13, 2015
danielicon:

N2.5 for this 50"x100"?

Na N800k I get.
U get C of O?

1 Like

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by jikins(m): 7:47am On Nov 14, 2015
grin
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Sultan5(m): 7:53am On Nov 14, 2015
Stillfire:

I would replace lonely with 'get bored' with the state of your 'me' time. And then some external stimulation (extroversion -like going to parties) is required to get you back into yearning for your 'me' time again. grin Lonely is a state of not having a companion, a friend, a lover etc.

My bad, modified!!!
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by JudgementHammer: 9:10am On Nov 14, 2015
Op in addition

-introverts are products of emotional battering and domination

-introverts are vastly creative than extroverts

-introverts have very active nerves and sensitivity. They feel everything deeply.

-introverts are silent analysts and THINKERS. That's what birth their creativity

-introverts have vengeful anger..the type that comes up once in a long while of quietness usually as a result of being taken 4 granted due to their silent nature.

-extreme introverts are rare as well as extreme extroverts. What is common among people is a blend of the two. That is why u could see an individual who is active in some situations and shy in some.

Unfortunately the world believe in extroverts than introverts which isn't fair. Even the crying prophet Jeremiah had to get the encouragement of being known b4 he was concieved in the womb from God, for him to deliver actively. Unlike the extroverted Elijah who calls down fire at will without asking God whether he should do so or not.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Alexsmith20(m): 3:15pm On Nov 14, 2015
wow!! op you just hit the nail on the head..

am an introvert and reading your writeup is just as if am reading myself.
nice writeup.
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by saintneo(m): 3:51pm On Nov 14, 2015
every online addict feels happy to be an introvert (sorry for mentioning you introvert .... grin cheesy after reading this introvert thread.
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 14, 2015
Griffon:
Sultan5:

They don't hate being around people, they hate being around people they don't know[/b] . A person who hates been around people is anti-social not introvert please!!!

Grifon and Sultan5, you both make good points.

At the end of the day, people's introversion will vary, but the truest and strongest introverts are probably drained by people in general (it doesn't matter whether they know they or not), after being around them for a while. Now this does not mean we hate people. The problem here is that you guys have been using the word "hate". It's not that we "hate" being around people. Speaking for myself: It's just that people wear me out easily and I just thrive better when I'm alone. I will say that many people assume I hate them or that I am rude (myth #3), though, because I do not interact with them much. This is something I deal with a lot, but I am used to it.

@Myth #3: Some introverts are both shy and introverted (I am both), which is the worst possible combination ever, and which is why people often assume I hate them and/that I am rude.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by nnamdiosu(m): 7:14pm On Nov 14, 2015
danielicon:

how much last?
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Joel3(m): 8:44pm On Nov 14, 2015
80% of nairalanders are introvert. plus the founder seun.. fact.

another name for introvert is slow poison or snake nature.
most people believe that introvert are wicked, devil and sadist, and there is this thought that introverts are witches or gay. they feel that introvert can kill without anyone knowing or telling anyone. when they offend introvert they fear that introvert will revenge back even if introvert has no intention.

they think and imagine for introvert even when introvert thoughts are far from it. they believed introvert hate people. proud, not loyal, disrespectful and some times weak. but sometimes introvert are not afraid of people claiming to be somebody fearful. when introvert engaged in fight you will know the introvert has reached anger limit. true fact is introvert don't find people trouble. they take things and affairs serious. they only meego with trusted and real serious friends.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by sage10pm(m): 9:09pm On Nov 14, 2015
Sultan5:
This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

A world without Introverts would be a world with few scientists, musicians, artists, poets, filmmakers, doctors, mathematicians, writers, and philosophers. That being said, there are still plenty of techniques an Extrovert can learn in order to interact with Introverts. (Yes, I reversed these two terms on purpose to show you how biased our society is.) Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

.....dis guy no lie abt us sha. well described article here.
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by midayy(f): 4:45pm On Jul 07, 2017
Sultan5:

well said...This defines me
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Nenejeje(f): 6:23pm On Jul 07, 2017
Joel3:
80% of nairalanders are introvert. plus the founder seun.. fact.

another name for introvert is slow poison or snake nature.
most people believe that introvert are wicked, devil and sadist, and there is this thought that introverts are witches or gay. they feel that introvert can kill without anyone knowing or telling anyone. when they offend introvert they fear that introvert will revenge back even if introvert has no intention.

they think and imagine for introvert even when introvert thoughts are far from it. they believed introvert hate people. proud, not loyal, disrespectful and some times weak. but sometimes introvert are not afraid of people claiming to be somebody fearful. when introvert engaged in fight you will know the introvert has reached anger limit. true fact is introvert don't find people trouble. they take things and affairs serious. they only meego with trusted and real serious friends.

you are very correct

that is how my former landlord and his family disrespected me and I had to burst out at them for the first time and they became surprised and scared

I was really angry that day that I almost beat them up something I haven't done in a long while

1 Like

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Nobody: 12:06am On Jul 11, 2017
Wow... I couldn't agree with you more on this OP, these are so "the facts"

Nice post
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Nobody: 12:51am On Feb 08, 2019
Lalasticlala do justice to this thread
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by IamPlato(m): 9:46am On Feb 08, 2019
Who Is Saying Introverts dont Talk? Introverts can Talk o... One Of My Female Friend Gladys who Is An Introvert like Me, once I Get Her In The Mood she Will Keep Talking And Forget That She is Suppose To Even Go Home And Prepare Dinner... I Love Introvert Girls so Much... Extrovert Ladies Sometimes Appear Annoying and Unintelligent

2 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Biglittlelois(f): 11:52am On Feb 08, 2019
All correct except 3, I don't think I'm rude.

1 Like

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Brazzaville(m): 4:04pm On Feb 08, 2019
You gat me. You've just defined me. Thumbs up
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by RSVP: 5:04pm On Feb 08, 2019
So me wink
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Divay22(f): 5:59pm On Feb 08, 2019
smiley smiley smiley
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by mastermaestro(m): 6:32pm On Feb 08, 2019
Divay22:
smiley smiley smiley

What is the smile all about?
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts by Divay22(f): 8:26pm On Feb 08, 2019
mastermaestro:

What is the smile all about?
Nothing smiley smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Busted, Cheating Husband Caught Red Handed By Wife In A Limousine With Video / Before You Say "I Do", My 2 Kobo / I Want To Name My Next Child "fabregas"! Please, What's Your Honest Opinion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.