Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,791 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:21 AM

LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant (14051 Views)

Appointments With Doctor In LASUTH Takes Months: Lady Recounts Graphic Experienc / Dr Linda Ayade Performs Surgeries With Her Medical Team In Cross River (Photos) / FMC Umuahia First Kidney Transplant Surgery Was Successful (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by Nobody: 9:30am On Nov 13, 2015
vivianblog2:
LAGOS — Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, LASUTH, yesterday joined the league of hospitals that offers kidney transplant services following a successful kidney transplant on a 56-year- old man in Lagos.

The life-saving procedure which took two and half hours was the first of its kind in the tertiary institution.

Speaking on the feat, the elated Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Prof. Wale Oke, said the successful kidney transplant was part of the state government’s promises to deliver excellent healthcare services to the people of Lagos State.

Oke revealed that prior to the surgery, several consultations were made to ensure that the patients were well selected to avoid complications after the exercise.

“But thank God today, both the donor and recipient are in sound health,” he said.

The Chief medical Director who assured Lagosians that the hospital would continue to bring such services in-country.

Speaking, leader of the transplant team, a Consultant Nephrologist, Dr. Jacob Awobusuyi, said the initiative was conceived three years ago.

Awobusuyi explained that gaining the confidence of the patients was very tough but after the operation, they were both excited.

“Before the operation, both the 56-year-old recipient and the 26-year-old donor who was the patient’s nephew expressed concern. But after the operation they were both fine,” he said.

source http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/lasuth-performs-first-kidney-transplant/

Cc; lalasticlala

while some ppl are celebrating first head ztansplant some are buzy celebrating kidney transplant, una well done.
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by caevee: 9:32am On Nov 13, 2015
So Kano is ahead of Lagos in this respect, they have done this back in 2006 http://allafrica.com/stories/200610270783.html
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by systemz(m): 9:35am On Nov 13, 2015
alterswerve:
First kidney transplant! In 2015?
So?
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by systemz(m): 9:41am On Nov 13, 2015
wasco24:
stop lying

The 1st head transplant is to be carry out in 2017 in China
Bros u're not current.
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by Nobody: 9:42am On Nov 13, 2015
2015 When teaching hospitals in the west are on the race to carry out successful head transplant we are here celebrating first kidney transplant. I tire for my country
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by tellwisdom: 9:43am On Nov 13, 2015
pretydiva:
dont be a prophet of doom undecided

undecided undecided undecided
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by dollarathe(m): 9:55am On Nov 13, 2015
oluwaphemiee:
In 2015? Naija health system operators should be ashamed of themselves when south africa is doin head transplant we are celebrating kidney transplant una beta start living a whole life
because some pipul av done it bfor us now mean we should not do it ?
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by obynaDmob(m): 9:58am On Nov 13, 2015
We really dont have shame sha undecided
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by 4C2215131: 10:04am On Nov 13, 2015
wasco24:
stop lying

That transplant is a waste of time. A procedure informed by vain glory on the part of the radical Italian Doctor in his quest for immortality.

Sentiments aside, I'm sure a lot of Doctors in the house know his Frankeistein unlike Dr.Victors' won't take a single step. They can pump him fill of immune suppressing drugs all they will, it just won't cut it. He (Doc) might as well remain in China as I'm sure his ass may be in deep shiit once the 36 hr operation is done.

China is the country that can condone such things after all they are the ones supplying the body (a convicted criminal I'm sure). Some country if you ask me, and they have the temerity to refer to themselves as 'The People Republic of China'. I m sure they are referring to their population and not government policies. Love them for their industrious nature though.
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by 4C2215131: 10:09am On Nov 13, 2015
Brugge:
2015 When teaching hospitals in the west are on the race to carry out successful head transplant we are here celebrating first kidney transplant. I tire for my country

Ain't nothing going to be successful bout them transplants; not for a long time. No Frankestein, no Zombie. Think you can just 'glue' some spinal cord together and think the resultant being would be honky-dory, they end up as vegetables-those lucky to survive?

Medicine has sure come a long way, feats have been achieved by the medical profession but with this, it's a tad biting off more they can chew.
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by 4C2215131: 10:12am On Nov 13, 2015
taurusdude:

while some ppl are celebrating first head ztansplant some are buzy celebrating kidney transplant, una well done.

Find it hard to see what kind of life a vegetable can live.

Most beg to be euthanized. Let's see if the chap will be fit in the coming years.
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by Tintinnoty(m): 10:19am On Nov 13, 2015
vivianblog2:
we are moving ... One Nigeria Posted By Vivian Gist

Mam you dam wicked, you create a thread and you will be the first to comment
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by d33types: 10:24am On Nov 13, 2015
A transplant is not deemed successful till about 3months-1yr due to host graft rejection possibility ,that is, the tissue may be rejected by the body as a foreign one..

This is long expected but is better we are starting now than never.. Good news
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by Toosure70: 10:31am On Nov 13, 2015
Fashola work remains
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by tirith(m): 10:35am On Nov 13, 2015
Really sad that this is a big deal for a nation like Nigeria in 2015 especially for a teaching hospital.
Great step though,step by step.
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by Nobody: 10:59am On Nov 13, 2015
This alone would save Nigeria millions of dollars annually from the hands of Indian doctors.

1 Like

Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 13, 2015
The way Nigerians bad mouth our health system is appalling.

90% of comments here are negative and pessimistic about the outcome of the surgery.

I don't know how and when e will start taking credit for the good we do. All the reports here about Nigerian doctors are negative.

Yet, tens of thousands of them troop to our public hospitals to get treatment daily. All their parents are collecting hypertension drugs for free in Lagos hospitals.

I jus tire for una

4 Likes

Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by sternlley(m): 11:22am On Nov 13, 2015
wasco24. [/you're still backwards bro]
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by Codedworld1: 11:22am On Nov 13, 2015
whaoo.amazing.I know the brilliant consultant very well. I wish the government could do more on our health sector.
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by appliedscience(m): 12:07pm On Nov 13, 2015
pls house. can anyone help me on how to get to LUTH from sango ota. i did a good dentist. Pls how is theirs charge like? tanks in anticipation.
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by dipsin999(m): 12:09pm On Nov 13, 2015
vivianblog2:
we are moving ... One Nigeria Posted By Vivian Gist

You are doing a great job.... Vivian Gist
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by Zeus777: 12:26pm On Nov 13, 2015
Toosure70:
Fashola work remains
fashola ke Am sure u don't know what has been happening in Lagos health sector. Fashola that frustrated Lagos residency programme. If not ambode that restarted the programme recently there is no way lasuth would hv attempted this transplant in 2015
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by scarr: 12:34pm On Nov 13, 2015
wasco24:
stop lying

U need to reset ur clock and calendar again, d first has already been done February dis year in South fuckn Africa.

It even made FP dis week
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by ayindejimmy(m): 12:47pm On Nov 13, 2015
S. A had a head transplant in February but decided to play save by waiting till November to announce it.

Nigerians!

They love to make noise.
Can't they wait some months to monitor the man's health recovery b4 going to the press?
Common kidney transplant that Malaysia does like changing diapers.
S
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by Stycon(m): 1:26pm On Nov 13, 2015
Not bad.

Looking forward to more of such; at least, this might help reduce the leakage in our national purse that results from going abroad for such medical treatment. Bravo! #God_Bless_Nigeria
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by Nobody: 1:42pm On Nov 13, 2015
okay.
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by qrymz(m): 5:02pm On Nov 13, 2015
alterswerve:
First kidney transplant! In 2015?

I just hope they didn't forget surgical blade inside the man
Re: LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant by oluwaphemiee(m): 5:37pm On Nov 13, 2015
dollarathe:

because some pipul av done it bfor us now mean we should not do it ?
wat am saying is plain... Naija should wake up and face reality

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Ways Nigerians Relax Their Nerves / How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs In Nigerian Homes: 10 Fascinating Facts / Astrazeneca Vaccine: 8,439 Mild, Adverse Effects Occur - NPHCDA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.