Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,079 members, 7,807,228 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:20 AM

Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. (3752 Views)

Ifeanyi Uba Games Village Nnewi Ongoing Construction Work (Photos) / Pictures Of Massive Construction Work In Ogun State. / First Building On Eko Atlantic City Ready In 24 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by fyneguy: 7:29am On May 21, 2009
Wetin poor man find come Lagos?

Build an estate for the poor? I bet the poor wont get to buy the houses.
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by kelvd4real(m): 8:59am On May 21, 2009
wirinet:

I know how may billions had been sunk to periodically reclaim Bar Beach and they say that they have found a permanent solution ( i keep my fingers crossed).

I just think it is risky to site such a huge project so close to the beach line, it will require billions in the future to maintain just like Ahmadu Bello rd. They should have moved tho project a bit inland, maybe Ikorodu or Epe which is a high land.

I definitely agree with you. I was driving by Ahmadu Bello Way yesterday and what I saw got me thinking. I saw some construction guys trying to pick up stones from the main road and putting them back to block spaces where water has flushed them from. It appears that the water is actually over flowing again and its washing away the stones and other stuff used in the construction work.

It is important that we realise that nature always has a way of balancing its self. If lands a reclaimed from the Atlantic ocean for such project as the Atlantic city, it does not mean a reduction in water volume. so what nature simply does is move the mass volume of water to where it can find space ( the pressure is what causes flooding).

I would have preffer ed if such projects are sited in other high land areas in the state.

All the same the State Government is doing well.
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by uzwu: 11:11am On May 21, 2009
SeanT21:

Why shall everything benefit the poor man??

Hmn Na wa overy funny
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by uzwu: 11:13am On May 21, 2009
SeanT21:

Why shall everything benefit the poor man??

Why won't it?
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by BabaTony: 11:47am On May 22, 2009
Waste of time money and resources of the NIgerian People!!!!!!!!!!!Big White elephant!!!!!!
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by mogentle(m): 12:49pm On May 22, 2009
Must everything be for the poor? People's mentality tend towards poverty too much.
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by SeanT21(f): 5:22am On May 23, 2009
uzwu:

Hmn Na wa overy funny

If U want everything to benefit the poor man than the rich men will have nothing.
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by Horus(m): 7:44pm On Jun 05, 2009
Re: Construction Work On Eko Atlantic City To Commence Soon. by kwamenkria: 8:27am On Jun 10, 2013
[b][b]SAD NEWS JEALOUS NIGERIANS

JOBURG, DURBAN (AmaZulu World is on, plan is to host Olympics world will vote for us), CAPE TOWN (cheeky premier wants to do massive up grades here, create our own dream land, we can beat DUBAI), PRETORIA WILL RECEIVE MAJOR UPGRADES.
THESE PROJECTS WILL BE RUN IN HOUSE NO "CHINESE INVOLVED". SOUTH AFRICA WILL BE USING ITS OWN ARCHITECTS, ENGINEERS, TOWN PLANNERS, LAND SURVEYORS ETC...

Plans to turn Johannesburg into Africa’s ‘New York’

Agence France-Presse
11:48 am | Sunday, June 9th, 2013
19 69 21

Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) members protest against the electronic road tolling system whilst traffic moves slowly on the motorway, in Johannesburg, South Africa, Friday, May 31, 2013. Protesters oppose the electronic tolling system in Gauteng by the government road agency South African National Roads Agency Limited, SANRAL which aims to see Gauteng’s road users billed electronically when using the province’s highways. (AP Photo/Themba Hadebe)

JOHANNESBURG — City authorities in Johannesburg, South Africa’s economic hub, have unveiled an ambitious plan to undo urban inequalities of the apartheid era and turn the continent’s wealthiest city into the “New York of Africa”.

City mayor Parks Tau says the 10-year scheme, which is set to cost some $10 billion (7.5 billion euros), will lead to a “new era” for Johannesburg and its 4.4 million inhabitants.

Plans are on the cards for an extensive new road and railroad network, better houses and revamped buildings to spruce up the city, originally built on a gold rush in the late 19th century.

The inspiration for change is the cosmopolitan New York City in the United States, with its attractive bridges, roads and efficient subway network and parks.

“We are re-inventing the city of Johannesburg,” Tau said. “We are turning this city into a New York of Africa,” he added.

Officials say the project will correct urban planning dating back to white minority rule, which pushed designated black areas to the outskirts of the city, with poor access to transport and other infrastructure and services.

“This is a major step in reversing the inequalities caused by the apartheid regime,” Tau told AFP.

In some cases, commuting between the city centre and northern suburbs currently takes up to nearly two hours.

A network of enhanced public transportation enabling people in outlying areas to make connections by trains, buses and taxis will be established, together with cycle paths.

Alison Todes of the University of Witwatersrand’s School of Architecture argues that the time has come for an efficient transport system that will also help reduce the city’s carbon footprint.

“The city is quite spread out and a lot of people use private cars. Less travel time and less cars on the road will also be good for the environment,” Todes said.

The launch three years ago of a high speed train service linking Johannesburg and the administrative capital Pretoria was a milestone in providing efficient public transport.

But the train serves limited routes and high fares make it inaccessible to the bulk of the working class, who rely on crowded privately-run minibus taxis and ageing state-owned metro trains.

“Our economy is growing, so we saw a need to prioritise investment on infrastructure to boost the economic capacity of the city,” Tau said.

The city will finance the renovations from its own coffers.

Despite its established wealth, boasting the largest concentration of dollar millionaires in the country, parts of Johannesburg are dirt poor.

Clusters of palatial homes protected by gates and electric fences stand side-by-side with sprawling slums that have no running water and sanitation.

Nearly half a million of Johannesburg’s population lives in informal housing. Some have been on a waiting list for state-subsidised houses for 15 years.

Almost a fifth of the total renovation budget will be channelled to low-cost housing schemes dubbed “corridors of freedom”.

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/423311/plans-to-turn-johannesburg-into-africas-new-york#ixzz2VnNOjv9H
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook[/b][/b]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Navy Fights Nigerian Merchant Navy For Supremacy / Association Of Witches And Wizards Ask Jonathan To Return Back To N65 / If Lagos State Had The Resources Of Ghana..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.