Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,892 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:49 PM

Whats Your Worst Experience With Your Mechanic? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Whats Your Worst Experience With Your Mechanic? (1337 Views)

Photos: How To Prevent Being Cheated By Your Mechanic / Have You Ever Fooled Your Mechanic? / Recommend Your Mechanic, Auto Parts Dealer Etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whats Your Worst Experience With Your Mechanic? by Tonyet1(m): 11:29am On May 18, 2009
i use a Nissan Primera (Automatic) and i must confess that for everytime i send it to any mechanic/ Panel beater/ vulcanizer/electrician for every little problem the car developes they always come up with an excuse of the car devceloping a fresh problem

for Instance:

1st experience:

my car break system suddenly became too free, i took it for check up, he did it, the problem persisted, instead of checking it, he suddenly said there was a problem with my disk plate, break pad, and the break itself, i ended up spending almost 12k,

2nd experience:

Recently my fuel nozzle developed a little leakage problem, the 1st person i gave did only God knows what and i paid him N1500, the problem persisted, i gave it to the second and the same stories this time i bought over 40litres of fuel and b4 i got home the tank has gone dry, i lost almost 12k-it was during a fuel scarcity problem in PH city, the third i gave this time finally removed the air valve unknown to me and it caused a serious problem such that the tank began leaking almost everywhere, i finally ended up spending over 10k in just a day

and the experience jus goes on and on, the worst even happended in a rainy day my ignition key broke in the middle of traffic, i took it for fabrication the electrician said i must remove the jey ignition host along so they could use it to set a new one, i obeyed, on doing a new key, the electrician used almost the whole day trying to fix my ignition host back, problem that started by 5pm got solved by about 2am midnite, i was soaked by the heavy rain, guuuushhhhh that was my worst day ever, i sometime i feel maybe it could be that they are very inexperienced, or thirsty for filthy lucre

lets hear you worst experience ever with you mech
Re: Whats Your Worst Experience With Your Mechanic? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Apr 17, 2011
I sent Toyota Camry to my mother and the next thing I heard was the mechanic removed the thermostat in order for the engine not to develop overheating. I spoke to the mechanic and he did not even know what he was talking about. It is always a risk the way Nigerian mechanics apply their expertise on customer's cars. When you give Nigerian mechanics a car for a repair, the next thing you experience is some other problems develop. These mechanics are not just good enough to be called auto mechanics. They put any kind of oil when doing all change. Pathetic!

Be careful with Nigerian mechanics!
Re: Whats Your Worst Experience With Your Mechanic? by Operation(m): 7:55pm On Apr 28, 2011
bought a new car, and took it down to mobil service station in ikoyi lagos. they charged 42,000 for the service, didnt clean it properly and less than 2 days later the engine went boom, i direct result of them damaging the fan which had stopped working. Now im looking at paying close to 300,000 naira for a new engine. (didnt get the money back for the "service" either.
Re: Whats Your Worst Experience With Your Mechanic? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Apr 29, 2011
@Operation

what kind of car was your car? did u take it back to the service centre?
Re: Whats Your Worst Experience With Your Mechanic? by Operation(m): 3:15pm On Apr 29, 2011
2001 a6 2.7t - no i didnt take it back cus it isnt running. I went back a few times. but nothing
Re: Whats Your Worst Experience With Your Mechanic? by webmastern(m): 8:07pm On Apr 29, 2011
I took my car 4 servicing. The useless mechanic overguaged d oil,engine started smoking. I took d car back 2 him n he assured me everytin was gonna b ok. I blamed myself 4 leaving d car wt him n rushed off 2 work. On arrival,lo n behold,he had removed d rings in d engine (engine never opened b4),was fixing 'new' rings!. I felt like fainting. Ended up selling d car 4 300k!(96 civic).
All d fool had 2 do was drain a lil oil out of d engine. Notin more.
Re: Whats Your Worst Experience With Your Mechanic? by Nobody: 3:59am On Apr 30, 2011
Most Nigerian mechanics are abysmal.
Re: Whats Your Worst Experience With Your Mechanic? by Nicols(m): 10:43pm On May 01, 2011
I try to limit the time I go to mechanic workshops so I change oil, oil filter, plugs and handle routine mentanance all by myself.
Well, my fan stopped working sometime ago so l took it to so called rewire who failed to properly selotape the wires after rewiring. This resulted in short circuit of the cables which sparked off and burnt part of my engine while in motion. The whole car would have burnt to ashes if not for fire extinguirher. Now l'm still struggling to put the engine back to work.
Re: Whats Your Worst Experience With Your Mechanic? by Nicols(m): 11:00pm On May 01, 2011
@webmaster,
That's a very painful experience. Believe me, u will save urself a lot of time, money n headaches if u can learn to go under the engine and change the oil by urself. I've come to realise that l can use a good car for years without visiting mechanics especially when l have the owners manual.
Re: Whats Your Worst Experience With Your Mechanic? by Nobody: 12:46am On May 02, 2011
Hmm, really sad the way Nigerian mechanics destroy cars. None of my cars have ever visited a mechanic, so I'm lucky. My parent's cars were also looked after by myself too, so they never got ripped off either.
Re: Whats Your Worst Experience With Your Mechanic? by Trac: 10:04am On May 10, 2011
How about 20w-50 engine oil in the transmission to correct an oil sensor error

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-661922.99999.html

People mess cars in the United States as well but Nigeria has it on an advance level. The dealers are not innocent of this.

The ethical thing to do is not to patronise such people.

(1) (Reply)

Is Cheki Better Than Google Trader In Terms Of Checking Car Prices / FG Bans Importation Of Tokunbo Cars / FRSC To Enforce New Drivers’ Licence, Number Plate, Aug. 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.