Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,136 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

Barbq's - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Barbq's (4000 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Barbq's by AmakaOne(f): 4:22pm On May 18, 2009
In the spirit of sagamite's proposal to have n NL Summer Barbq in London,

I reckon a few barbq recipes will not be amiss.

Grilled Salmon

A simple soy sauce and brown sugar marinade, with hints of lemon and garlic, are the perfect salty-sweet complement to rich salmon fillets.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds salmon fillets
lemon pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
salt to taste

1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Directions:
1. Season salmon fillets with lemon pepper, garlic powder, and salt.
2. In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, brown sugar, water, and vegetable oil until sugar is dissolved. Place fish in a large resealable plastic bag with the soy sauce mixture, seal, and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
3. Preheat grill for medium heat.
4. Lightly oil grill grate. Place salmon on the preheated grill, and discard marinade. Cook salmon for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.

Re: Barbq's by AmakaOne(f): 4:27pm On May 18, 2009
3 teaspoons finely ground roasted peanuts
2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or red pepper, or red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger ½ teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 or 2 pounds of meat (beef, chicken, etc.), cut into bite-size pieces
1 onion peeled and cut into chunks
1 tomato cut into chunks
1 green or red bell pepper, cleaned and cut into chunks (optional)
• Make the ground peanut powder: Remove shells and skins from roasted peanuts, if necessary.
• Grind the peanuts into a fine powder (briefly pound them in a mortar and pestle; crush them with a rolling pin; or use a food processor).
• Be careful not to grind them into a paste. If the peanut powder is oily, wrap it in absorbent paper (paper towel) and squeeze for a minute or two.
• Stir the spices into the powder, mixing well.
• For really spicy hot suya, use more cayenne pepper; for a milder dish, substitute paprika for some (or all) of the cayenne pepper.
• Divide the peanut-spice mix into two parts, putting half in one bowl and half in another.
• Set one bowl aside.
• Dip and roll the meat in the other bowl of the peanut-spice mix, making sure the meat is completely coated.
• Allow meat to marinate for thirty minutes or more. (Get the outdoor grill going or preheat the oven while you are waiting.)
• Place the meat on skewers (alternating with the onion, tomato and sweet pepper, if desired).
• Broil in a hot oven, or grill over hot coals, until meat is done.

Re: Barbq's by LadyT(f): 4:28pm On May 18, 2009
grin

Please cook these items and bring them with you.

Thankyou ma
Re: Barbq's by AmakaOne(f): 4:32pm On May 18, 2009
This is a tasty potato salad with chopped red onion, eggs, and mayonnaise, along with a little mustard and other seasonings.
Ingredients:

* 2 pounds new potatoes, unpeeled
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 3 hard-cooked eggs, peeled, chopped
    * 1 1/2 cups minced celery
    * 1/2 to 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
    * 1/2 cup mayonnaise
    * 1 to 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
    * 1/2 cup chopped sweet pickles, with some juice
    * salt and pepper, to taste
    * dash cayenne pepper
    * fresh chopped parsley, optional
    * paprika

Preparation:
Scub potatoes and cut in 1-inch cubes. Place in a saucepan and cover with water. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and boil potatoes until tender. Drain and let cool. Combine potatoes with chopped egg, celery, onion, mayonnaise, mustard, sweet pickle, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Stir in a little parsley if using, then sprinkle paprika over top.

lol@LadyT

I thot it was a NL bar'bq not Amaka's Cookout grin

1 Like

Re: Barbq's by AmakaOne(f): 4:40pm On May 18, 2009
Ingredients

* 1 tablespoon ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
* 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (one package)
* 2 teaspoons brown sugar
* 1 1/2 cups warm water
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 cup cake flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 cup unsalted butter or spiced ghee
* 1 egg, whisked, for egg wash

Directions

* Combine the cumin and ginger in a small saute pan and toast over low heat until fragrant, about two minutes. Set aside to cool.
* Combine the yeast, brown sugar and warm water in a small bowl, stirring to mix. Let sit until the yeast begins to bubble, 5-10 minutes.
* Combine the flours, toasted spices and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Pour in the yeast mixture and mix on low speed with the paddle attachment until well-combined. With the mixer running, pour in the butter and mix until well-incorporated.
Switch to the dough hook and knead the dough until smooth and elastic, about seven minutes.
* Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with a damp cloth or oiled plastic wrap and let rise in a warm, draft-free spot for 30-45 minutes, until almost doubled in size.
* Punch down the dough and cut it in half. Shape each half into a ball. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or grease it. Place the dough on the baking sheet, cover with a damp cloth or oiled plastic wrap, and let sit in a warm place for another 30 minutes.
* Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Brush the tops of the loaves with the egg wash.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped.

1 Like

Re: Barbq's by AmakaOne(f): 4:50pm On May 18, 2009
This dish is for the memorable moments in life, and it’s best shared with a table full of friends and family.

And it absolutely couldn’t be simpler: you throw a bunch of shrimp in a baking pan and douse it with a heavenly mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire, Tabasco, salt, pepper, and butter.
Then you broil it to perfection and serve on a table covered with newspapers, because it’s super messy.

Everyone just digs from the pan and for some reason this always elicits lots of laughs and good times.

1 Like

Re: Barbq's by AmakaOne(f): 4:56pm On May 18, 2009
What would a naija Barbq be without a few grilled plantains (Boli)?

I know I don't need to explain this one

oh ,  and  for barbq's where people will probably be moving around, ts much easier to grill the plantain ready on a skewer.

Re: Barbq's by AmakaOne(f): 5:38pm On May 18, 2009
This goes really well with grilled plantain.

Ingredients:

A bag of gizzard
Vegetable oil
1 red bell pepper
6 Roma tomatoes
5 Habenero pepper (rodo) ( or desired amount)
One large red onion
2 Maggi cubes
seasoned salt
Curry
Thyme
Bay leaf

1. De-ice the gizzard then season with seasoned salt, Maggi cube, bay leaf and drop one habenero pepper. Cook until tender.

2. Blend the tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, Habenero and Maggi together.

3. Now you could either fry the gizzard or bake them in the oven till they are a nice brown colour.

4. In a separate pan heat the vegetable oil on medium heat, drop a slice of onion for the sizzle test, wait until the onion turns brown then add your blended mixture.

5. Add a bit salt, curry and thyme. And bay leaf.

6. Cook for 40 minutes on medium heat, do not stir to avoid splash, do not cover either or it will take longer to fry.

7. Add your gizzards and allow it to marinate for 10 additional minutes.

6. Add your sliced onions and green pepper for 3 minutes only…do not over cook or the peppers turn brown…Remember the green pepper and onions doubles as a garnishment.

Enjoy.

Re: Barbq's by bolu1(f): 6:17pm On May 26, 2009
Amakaone thanks for hooking us up with these resipes, especially the suya one. You know it is summer time and this is the perfect time for grilling and having fun out side in the sun.
Re: Barbq's by Badriyyah(f): 6:31pm On May 26, 2009
Amaka, Those look lovely!!!! Now i'm hungry, Going to raid the kitchen. hehe
Re: Barbq's by xoxoxo(f): 6:26pm On Jun 26, 2009
yep it's summer time! - time 2 bring out those bbq grills cool
Re: Barbq's by mamagee6(f): 5:19pm On Aug 08, 2009
I want to eat suya, somebody give me suya before I die.
Re: Barbq's by SeanT21(f): 5:54pm On Aug 08, 2009
Damn!!!~~Looking Good~~
Re: Barbq's by xoxoxo(f): 2:34am On Aug 11, 2009
SeanT21:

Damn!!!~~Looking Good~~
if u r referring to the gizzard, yea, i agree with you. . .tis yummy tongue
Re: Barbq's by chiejik(f): 8:18am On Aug 11, 2009
please can anyone tell me how to make semosa i eat it like water but what to be doing it on my own.im seriouse herem,if you dont know it dnt abuse me ok.
Re: Barbq's by Fhemmmy: 4:10pm On Aug 11, 2009
This is the best thread
Re: Barbq's by mamagee6(f): 6:01pm On Aug 11, 2009
It tastes yummy. kiss
Re: Barbq's by Fhemmmy: 7:57pm On Aug 11, 2009
,mama-gee:

It tastes yummy. kiss

u too like food jare

(1) (Reply)

If You Are Not Drinking Garri Like This, You Are Risking Kwashiorkor / Photos : See A Cake Someone Ordered & See What She Got / How To Cook Party Jollof Rice In Just 4 Steps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.