Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,461 members, 7,808,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:44 PM

Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister (11587 Views)

The Faith Of A New Business In This State Of Economy / Chadians, Ghanaians, Others Storm Nigeria For Dollars-the Nation / How To Earn Double Salary In The Face Of Economy Recession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by ikeyman00(m): 7:39pm On May 22, 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nigeria is almost a lost case.  whaat do we do?

sadly the reason most of us invest  and will continue to invest money in ghana is the institutions are safer than naija.  with naija here today gone tomorrow mentality who want to risk invest especially if you are not there yourself.

if you use investment houses like investec and coronation they willl tell you out right your money is safer under your pillows than nigeria institutions.  invest in namibia, ghana and south africa you get better returns than nigeria becos  our guys are always fiddling the systems

they easily ignore the minister becos somebody higher than him would have been settled and they say lets just play the junior ones

soori to say jjyou, thats is raw bullshit

why do some nigerians  also link negativity with the nigerian buziness

do u know how many self made millionaire nigeria from scratch in uk

plz desist from talkin bulls cuz that make me sick

i guess all the companies in us that was brought down was done by the nigeria enron and co in such a regulated field

what are u talking about, or u are one of those that believe that the chinese always play to the book ehuh

recently in UK the roof is coming down cuz the ministers took advantage of the loop hole in the entitlement they are inclined to, was it done by the nigerians

so plz let watch wat we as nigerians says sometimes

the indians and the lebanese are scaning nigerian off millions yet nobody look that direction

yall just keep sounding like a hopless loser each time yall post

these envious africans need to get their act togerther and stop the hate

just look at how the MTN took hold of nigeria market, that if it wasnt for glo nigerians will be feeling the pinch, yes we as nigerians are happy cuz the provided jobs for our bredens back home

but when the nigerian doctors start to multiply in the country, they got jealous,now as the information is coming they dnt give liecense to our people in their country, those ulgy zulu cant stand nigerians in their black cruising in benz

so plz try to be sensible when u are postin plzzzzz and also stick to the subject
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by yommyuk: 2:37am On May 23, 2009
[b]Why Obama is going to Ghana
By Reuben Abati

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/may/22/23.html[/b]
"OL'boy, are you watching CNN now?"

"No. I dey Tarmac dey chop life"

"What are you chopping?"

"Peppersoup. Correct isi ewu and nkwobi"

"Be careful. You may be taking a typhoid concoction."

"No. Oh. This one cures malaria. It is specially prepared. And the thing sweet no be small. Leave me make I chop the life of my head."

"Look, that's not why I called. I think you should go and watch CNN right now. It is a sad day for Nigeria. In fact every Nigerian must hide his or her head in shame."

"What is it again this time? Dis kin country wey no go let person rest. Problem today. Wahala tomorrow. To be a Nigerian na crime?"

"Obama is visiting Africa in July and he is not coming to Nigeria"

"And so? Is he a Nigerian? Let him go to his Kenya. Obama is coming to the land of his fathers. Is that why I should stop enjoying my nkwobi?"

"Did you hear what I said? How many bottles have you taken? Obama is coming to Africa on a presidential visit in July and he is visiting Egypt and Ghana. He and Michelle, his wife, will spend two days in Ghana. I think that is an insult to Nigeria. I mean the Americans are deliberately rubbishing us."

"But you should know why? That is America's own way of sending a strong message that they are unhappy with the situation in Nigeria."

"That is why I am sad."

"That is how the American foreign policy process works. It is based on a reward and sanctions principle, if you like - carrot and stick. America goes out of its way to reward countries that are doing well. It sanctions those that appear to be doing badly and a sanction can be in any form.

Obama flying over Nigeria to go to Ghana is an act of snobbery. It is the most painful form of sanction"

"But what is it that Egypt is doing well?"

"It is a strategic choice. Egypt is a strategic U.S. ally in the Middle East and America's major bilateral partner."

"Nigeria is also strategic. We sell crude oil to the United States. American oil companies are Nigeria's Joint Venture partners. We supported the U.S. African High Command in the Gulf of Guinea. We have a long history of relationship with the United States. We are the most powerful, the most populous, "

"I beg. Leave that matter oh. Nigerians can't fool anybody with that slogan anymore. Don't you get it? You want Obama to come to Nigeria shortly after the shameful electoral process in Ekiti? You want him to visit Abuja and address your National Assembly? The same National Assembly where the lawmakers are being accused of corruption? You want Obama to attend a dinner in Nigeria where nearly all the people he would come across will be persons who organise the snatching of ballot boxes, the distribution of bribe, oil thieves, tax evaders, treasury looters, and aggressive Nigerian women who will be waiting for Michelle to go to the ladies for a second so they can swoop on the U.S. President, and squeeze their numbers into his palm? You think the Americans don't know?"

"You are not serious. You should stand up for your country. We are not worse than Pakistan or Egypt, and even Obama's Kenya."

"Obama is a brand apart from being the U.S. President. His handlers must have advised him that this is not a good time to visit Nigeria. And all those your countrymen and women in the United States are not helping matters. They are always telling the Americans that their country is a useless place."

"You don't even need to blame those ones. The U.S. has an embassy here. They know what is going on. But it is just that I would have loved Obama to visit Nigeria, Nigerians worked very hard for that man's election."

"Una vote for am?"

"But he has more supporters in Nigeria than in Kenya. People bought Obama stickers and pasted on their cars. There is still an Obama billboard in Abuja. Obama photo portraits are being sold on the streets of Lagos. Musicians sang about him. Even market women campaigned for him. Not to talk of the Obama for Africa associations that tried to raise funds for his campaign. I also know many Nigerians in the U.S. who contributed to the Obama fund. I am even sure that if anybody had said Obama lost that election, bare-chested Nigerian women were ready to go onto the streets in protest. Someone said that was part of the calculations."

"You know you are actually talking about Nigerians who were using the Obama name to do business and make quick profit. By the way what happened to your sister's Obama fund campaign? You mean she and other members of the Obama for Africa movement cannot persuade the U.S. President to come to Nigeria first?"

"Not fair. Obama should have visited Nigeria first. If only to come and say thank you to the Nigerian people. The U.S. Embassy will need to explain why we are being snubbed. We may not know how to organize free and fair elections, but we are a great nation."

"Good people too,  Tell them make dem hear."

"I feel sad when I see how Ghana is now upstaging Nigeria in every respect."

"Ghana organizes good elections. And its leaders are better organised and more disciplined. Obama's visit to Ghana is to encourage both the people and government of Ghana to remain the shining Black Star of the West African coast. And a way of telling Nigeria to get its acts together"
"I know".

"Besides, Ghana has discovered oil in commercial quantities. Soon, the United States will buy oil from Ghana and ignore Nigeria and its Niger Delta problems. Also, the U.S. has adopted a new four cardinal-point strategy in Africa. It includes South Africa, Kenya, Ghana and Egypt. Nigeria is not quite part of it."

"I hope our leaders are getting the message"

"They won't. Look, let's take a bet. I won't be surprised if in July, Nigerian leaders travel to Ghana to join the Ghanaians in receiving Obama. Can't you see that many Nigerians are now going to Ghana? Nigerian companies are setting up branches in Ghana, there are Nigerian-owned restaurants and shops in Accra, the population of Nigerian students in Ghanaian universities is very high and it keeps increasing. I know Nigerians who have bought homes in Ghana. Every weekend, they just hop across the border. It is 45 minutes by air. Accra is closer to Lagos than Abuja. So really, should we blame the Americans? Even Nigerians prefer to go to Ghana. In fact, I hear that Nigerians in Ghana are lobbying to be part of the Obama reception activities!"

"There will always be shameless Nigerians. But we need to rebuild this country. There were more foreign dignitaries at Jacob Zuma's inauguration than there were at Yar'Adua's inauguration. Countries like Tanzania and Rwanda have better international recognition than Nigeria."

"Don't worry yourself. In fact, if you ask me, I will recommend that President Yar'Adua should ask the Americans and the Ghanaians to invite him to the dinner for President Obama."

"God forbid. We are a sovereign nation."

"I know,  I am sure somebody must have told Obama that they kidnap people in Nigeria. And he must have been advised not to put anything past those Niger Delta militants. They could organize and kidnap Obama and his wife. Or throw a shoe at him."

"Kidnap who? Throw a shoe at who?"

"Obama. Didn't somebody throw a shoe at George Bush in Baghdad?"

"Now, I am convinced that you are drunk".

"So why are you disturbing my drink with your sadness about Obama not coming to Nigeria? Okay, let me now play the Devil's advocate. Someone should go and tell that Obama that he does not know what he is missing. He should go and ask President Bill Clinton and President Jimmy Carter. Those are friends of Nigeria. When Clinton visited Nigeria, he enjoyed himself so much. Let Obama go to Ghana. He is free to prefer kenke to nkwobi. We are still the happiest people in the world and we thank God for that."

"Who is talking about happiness?"

"And tell President Yar'Adua not to worry. In fact, who are the Americans to tell us how to organize elections? We are a free country. We have the right to go to heaven the way we choose. President Yar'Adua should also organise a foreign trip. Let him fly over the United States and go to Canada, and from there let him go to Venezuela and Cuba on state visit. America too dey make yanga. Faure Gyassingbe Eyadema of Togo was here on a presidential visit, the same week they announced Obama's African trip. That was Nigeria's response to America's snobbery. Is Eyadema also not a President?"

"The United States is the most powerful country in the world. Who is Faure Eyadema?"

"Who talk so? Where were you when Maurice Iwu said we are in a position to teach America certain things about elections? Every country has its own strengths. Obama can go anywhere. Na him leg he dey take travel. That will not stop me from eating isi ewu,  Baby, do you want another drink. Eh, another bottle for my darling here, "

"What's that?"

"I wasn't talking to you."

"Looks like whatever you are doing there is beginning to get to you. May be we should continue this conversation later."

"No. Don't worry. You think I am drunk? Na only bottle fit get drunk. Me, I am a human being. Anything else?"

"I am just sad. We are failing at home. We are losing international goodwill."

"You have said that before. Stop moaning. It's no big deal."

"Our President even wanted to visit the United States, they said no."

"Look, if it is about this Obama visit, forget it. On second thoughts, may be it is even a blessing in disguise. If the man had chosen to visit Nigeria, that would have been an opportunity for Nigerians to loot the treasury. By the time the man leaves, every state treasury will be near-empty. And we could have an Obama visit scandal on our hands. And come to think of it, you know Obama likes to play basketball. Suppose he invites President Yar'Adua while visiting to a game of basketball, one on one, and the man out of politeness agrees. And you know President Yar'Adua doesn't play basketball, he only plays squash. Me, I thank God o."

"Good for the Ghanaians".

"Don't worry, you can watch the visit on AIT, Channels TV etc live."

----------------------------------<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by honeric01(m): 5:11am On May 23, 2009
Yommyyuk

what you posted is not new, so because Obama is not coming to Nigeria makes Nigeria bigger or smaller? we have had American presidents in this country before so what makes obama different?

by the way, the article was written by a Nigerian just trying to sell Guardian newspaper, what he said in the article is not new, so why are you so surprise with it
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by yommyuk: 7:21am On May 23, 2009
honeric01

u r missing d point

check out these links below - these are business intelligence preformance indicators, benchmarks and scorecards that the coporate world normally use to evaluate where to invest -

Compare Nigeria and Ghana TO THE REST OF THE WORLD

http://www.heritage.org/index/ranking.aspx - Index of Economic Freedom measures economic freedom of 183 countries based on trade freedom, business freedom, investment freedom, and property rights.

http://www.transparency.org/regional_pages/africa_middle_east - Transparency International is the global civil society organisation leading the fight against , corruption perceptions index · global corruption barometer

http://hdr.undp.org/en/statistics/ - Human Development Report 2007/2008

http://gcr.weforum.org/gcr/ -
The Global Competitiveness Report series has evolved over the last three decades into the world's most comprehensive and respected assessment of countries' competitiveness. Produced in collaboration with leading academics and a global network of research institutes, The Global Competitiveness Report provides users with a comprehensive assessment of their strengths and weaknesses related to national competitiveness using the Global Competitiveness Index as the main methodology.

In addition to statistical data the index also features data from the Executive Opinion Survey carried out by the World Economic Forum. The 2008 Survey captures the perceptions of over 12,000 business leaders from the featured 134 economies.

The full version of the Report can be consulted online at: www.weforum.org/gcrThe Global Competitiveness Index Analyzer

I know in nigeria we don't value the above. We just nose dive. But if we want to compete we have no choice.

I am not much of a writer but thank God- Internet has now made access to information easily accessible.

Oh I have forgotten, No light for nigeria so information may not be as cheap to come by but a a cost - generating set and fuel

Again I say CRAP
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by rasputinn(m): 9:19am On May 23, 2009
Ghana,Xenophobic of Nigerians,now that's some HATE BULLSHIT
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by rasputinn(m): 9:33am On May 23, 2009
@ Yommy

And you guys will be envious of the business successes of Nigerians(I'm glad it's not all Ghanaians that feel that way as I have a couple of them as very wonderful friends and acquaintances).Obama not coming to Nigeria is actually nothing to us,but a blessing in disguise for some Nigerians,whom you so love to disparage,some smart Nigerian journalist,sensing that this was another opportunity to boost sales,wrote the article you quoted above and I'm sure some Ghanaians bought that edition of the paper in their dozens.
GET USED TO IT,NIGERIANS HAVE  AND WILL ALWAYS MAKE A MARK wherever they are,whether Ghana or America

IMO,the only countryt in Africa that should feel slighted if Obama does not visit them is Kenya
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by londoner: 9:51am On May 23, 2009
I really think people need to see the difference between expansion into other countries and relocating.

What major Nigerian enterprises are doing is expanding into Ghana and beyond, they are not jumping ship from Nigeria. All the big companies who are opening branches in Ghana, STILL have their businesses in Nigeria. Its a false impression that they vare somehow jumping ship.

There may be less challenges experienced in Ghana by way of electricity and lack of direct competition, but they have in no way abandoned Nigeria. That notion is false and does not stand up to scrutiny at all.

It is also wrong for Ghanaians and Nigerian alike to believe that Nigerians are only expanding/investing in Ghana. The companies you see coming to Ghana, are at the same time entering into Ivory Coast, benin, Togo, Zambia, South Africa, Sierra Leone, Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda etc. Business will always venture where there is opportunity, that is universal.

@shesi, I agree that Ghana has worked hard to make itself attractive to foreign investors, but perhaps what Ghana has failed to do is to develop an indegenous class of entrepreneurs who wont be left watching begrudgingly,  while others take full use of those investment opportunities. For me, that is really the crux of the current state of affairs.

This whole thread is just a sad state of affairs, it simply underpins the problem with the African psychy. We can handle investment, or even bombardment if the face is that of a European or an Asian. As soon as we see a Black face (most especially an African one), suddenly we become defensive and reject the so called investment were previously encouraging from others. We see it in Ghana as well as South Africa.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by honeric01(m): 10:03am On May 23, 2009
The prime minister of france is currently in PORT HARCOUT now, even with the sense of insecurity in the Niger Delta, the prime minister of france didn't chicken away from visiting, because she knows that Nigeria is not just a country only known for it corrupt leaders, alot of people know positives things about Nigeria and those that decide to be an advocate of negativity will continue to see bad in Nigeria and lose out.

I HAVE NOT SEEN A COUNTRY AS MUCH AS LUCRATIVE FOR INVESTORS IN AFRICA AS NIGERIA.

quote me wrong.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by JJYOU: 10:15am On May 23, 2009
londoner:

I really think people need to see the difference between expansion into other countries and relocating.

What major Nigerian enterprises are doing is expanding into Ghana and beyond, they are not jumping ship from Nigeria. All the big companies who are opening branches in Ghana, STILL have their businesses in Nigeria. Its a false impression that they vare somehow jumping ship.

There may be less challenges experienced in Ghana by way of electricity and lack of direct competition, but they have in no way abandoned Nigeria. That notion is false and does not stand up to scrutiny at all.

It is also wrong for Ghanaians and Nigerian alike to believe that Nigerians are only expanding/investing in Ghana. The companies you see coming to Ghana, are at the same time entering into Ivory Coast, benin, Togo, Zambia, South Africa, Sierra Leone, Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda etc. Business will always venture where there is opportunity, that is universal.

@shesi, I agree that Ghana has worked hard to make itself attractive to foreign investors, but perhaps what Ghana has failed to do is to develop an indegenous class of entrepreneurs who wont be left watching begrudgingly,  while others take full use of those investment opportunities. For me, that is really the crux of the current state of affairs.

This whole thread is just a sad state of affairs, it simply underpins the problem with the African psychy. We can handle investment, or even bombardment if the face is that of a European or an Asian. As soon as we see a Black face (most especially an African one), suddenly we become defensive and reject the so called investment were previously encouraging from others. We see it in Ghana as well as South Africa.

u remind me of tanzania and uganda asians must go policy.  look what the asians did in europe.
ikeyman00:

soori to say jjyou, thats is raw bullshit

why do some nigerians  also link negativity with the nigerian buziness

do u know how many self made millionaire nigeria from scratch in uk

plz desist from talkin bulls cuz that make me sick

i guess all the companies in us that was brought down was done by the nigeria enron and co in such a regulated field

what are u talking about, or u are one of those that believe that the chinese always play to the book ehuh

recently in UK the roof is coming down cuz the ministers took advantage of the loop hole in the entitlement they are inclined to, was it done by the nigerians

so plz let watch wat we as nigerians says sometimes

the indians and the lebanese are scaning nigerian off millions yet nobody look that direction

yall just keep sounding like a hopless loser each time yall post

these envious africans need to get their act togerther and stop the hate

just look at how the MTN took hold of nigeria market, that if it wasnt for glo nigerians will be feeling the pinch, yes we as nigerians are happy cuz the provided jobs for our bredens back home

but when the nigerian doctors start to multiply in the country, they got jealous,now as the information is coming they dnt give liecense to our people in their country, those ulgy zulu cant stand nigerians in their black cruising in benz

so plz try to be sensible when u are postin plzzzzz and also stick to the subject
what was the subject again young fellow?  you are ranting about nothing.  fact is nigeria is a volitile business enviroment. to much wuru wuru as one of the musicians say.

this day and age you dont have to be in any place to invest and when you go live in a foreign land respect the laws. is that too much to ask from you?

why do you guys think laws are always meant to be written to suit your nigerian mentality?
honeric01:

The prime minister of france is currently in PORT HARCOUT now, even with the sense of insecurity in the Niger Delta, the prime minister of france didn't chicken away from visiting, because she knows that Nigeria is not just a country only known for it corrupt leaders, alot of people know positives things about Nigeria and those that decide to be an advocate of negativity will continue to see bad in Nigeria and lose out.

I HAVE NOT SEEN A COUNTRY AS MUCH AS LUCRATIVE FOR INVESTORS IN AFRICA AS NIGERIA.

quote me wrong.
most people dont have problems with nigeria. it is the insecurity and the ability of a clique to change the business atmosphere willy nilly that is the problem. there are no group of people ganging up somewhere to do nigeria down so relax.

we as a people must learn to accept praise and criticisms. people disagreeing with you should not make them your enemies they could be your best friend and their criticism your best tools for change.

this is 2009 for goodness sake. a country where anyone can become a governor and get away with taking half of the allocated revenue for personal use is what you are trying to justify. please change the subject it is weekend.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by honeric01(m): 10:27am On May 23, 2009
JJYOU:

we as a people must learn to accept praise and criticisms. people disagreeing with you should not make them your enemies they could be your best friend and their criticism your best tools for change.

this is 2009 for goodness sake. a country where anyone can become a governor and get away with taking half of the allocated revenue for personal use is what you are trying to justify. please change the subject it is weekend.

Not when 100% of what is spoken about Nigeria is Negative, does that mean Nigeria is only known for negativity does that mean Nigeria has no positive thing going on for it or that we have never done anything good in any part of this country? which one have you seen people criticizing us mentioned?
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by londoner: 10:46am On May 23, 2009
@jjyou, honeric is right, there is no balance in reporting. It is only the negative that gets circulated. We are not above criticism yes, and we all know they have factual basis, but the repetative story is that ONLY bad comes out of Nigeria.

If not for the fact that you told me the president of Frnca is in Nigeria now I would not know, why? It is not widely reported. When US presidents visit Nigeria, you will not hear it mentioned. Yet, mark my words, with the coming visit of Obama to Ghana, it will spark widespread criticm of Nigeria. rightly so, but it shows up deliberate selective reporting.

Even not long ago, George Soros was in Nigeria, you will never hear the media report it.

It simply does not support the "angle" they have agreed upon where Nigeria is concerned. I am not in any way saying we should not take reponsibility, but there needs to be a bit less bias.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by JJYOU: 10:52am On May 23, 2009
londoner:

@jjyou, honeric is right, there is no balance in reporting. It is only the negative that gets circulated. We are not above criticism yes, and we all know they have factual basis, but the repetative story is that ONLY bad comes out of Nigeria.

If not for the fact that you told me the president of Frnca is in Nigeria now I would not know, why? It is not widely reported. When US presidents visit Nigeria, you will not hear it mentioned. Yet, mark my words, with the coming visit of Obama to Ghana, it will spark widespread criticm of Nigeria. rightly so, but it shows up deliberate selective reporting.

Even not long ago, George Soros was in Nigeria, you will never hear the media report it.

It simply does not support the "angle" they have agreed upon where Nigeria is concerned. I am not in any way saying we should not take reponsibility, but there needs to be a bit less bias.
that is life for you. bad news sells and travel far. you talk about george soros. i had wanted a local paper in that homeland of ours to carry a story of what we were doing in a terms of charity you wont believe i was asked 200k for it as if that money wont do a better work in the environment.

i see your point though. post your good news always
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by londoner: 11:03am On May 23, 2009
jjyou, Yes bad news travels far, but the media select their "golden children".
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by honeric01(m): 11:12am On May 23, 2009
God will help us as we continue to help ourself
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by yeswecan(m): 12:37pm On May 23, 2009
londoner:

you got it right
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by yommyuk: 12:56pm On May 23, 2009
My dear Nigerian brethen,

I am very suprised that nobody is commenting on the links that I posted on this site.
It seems you think it is irrelavant or probably bias towards nigeria.
r u telling me that this info is false? embarassed
If you are of that view. then I REST MY CASE
www.reportbuyer.com/countries/africa - There u go another link for u - however the info will cost u £175

Any would be foreign investor would use this websites to gain access to this kind of  intelligence.
My background is credit management and i deal with a lot of foreign company worldwide.
My first point of call when dealing with a company is finding out which country they are located. Each
country is graded and is dealt with on that basis. It is normal business pratice.

Nigeria has a lot of potential. The market review on Nigeria is that we have the potential and capability to become the richest country in Africa and at least top 20 worldwide.  Currently we are graded
154 out of 191. My brethen that is poor. Capability and potential is one thing and the utilization of these atributes is another.

If I am to match the negatives against the positives happening in Nigeria, My Net result will be a generous "E"

And for your info some of u think I am from ghana. sorry I AM PROPER OMO ONILE.
i can accept some of the views of some of u guys based in nigeria.  You opinions is based on the enviroment u are exposed to. But it is the naijas based in the west that make me wonder. WHAT'S UP GUYS - WAKE UP. undecided

I admiration for ghana is based on the current policies that they are implementing. See them making bold moves -
Over-subscription of the Eurobond issue floated by Ghana in 2007, the first such issue by a West African country, attests to the confidence of investors

Expected to become Africa's seventh oil producer by 2010, Ghana could join the ranks of intermediate-income countries by 2015.

Generally considered Africa's highest achiever in governance and business environment terms, Ghana is ranked 67th out of 180 by Transparency International, ahead of countries like Romania and Morocco. The World Bank cites Ghana as an example for implementation of structural reforms. The December 2008 general elections have nonetheless served as a reminder of just how precarious the political and social consensus is with the confrontation between ethnic and geographic cleavages.

. Ghana too has a long way to go.

An insufficiently diversified economy with gold and cocoa representing about two-thirds of export earnings remains vulnerable to external shocks (weather, world prices).
Deficient transport infrastructure has handicapped various sectors of the economy.
With 70 per cent of energy production deriving from hydroelectricity it has remained vulnerable to precipitation patterns.
Despite substantial progress the limited development of financial intermediation continues to hamper the private sector.
Ethnic cleavages constitute a potential source of conflict.

but in comparism to nigeria they are (can i be generous ) slightly ahead - And that is my personal opinion. wink
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by londoner: 1:58pm On May 23, 2009
,  And yet with all that, they still fear Nigerian dominatation in their economy.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by shesi(m): 2:44pm On May 23, 2009
@honoric

what you have to realise it this; as a nigerian, unless you take an active interest in news from other countries, 95% of the news you hear in your local media will be news CONCERNING nigeria. This does not in any way mean that this is ALL that is happening. Did the papers in Nigeria report it when the government of Ghana cancelled the licences of some Norwegian firms and ordered them to leave due to their bad management practices? NO right? Did your newspapers report it when the same happened to some Malaysians a few years ago? NO again right? The group of Chinese businessmen currently on trial in Ghana for underhand business practices, Did that make the news in Nigeria? NO again.

My point is, when you hear news from Ghana concerning nigerian businesses, don't assume that it is only nigerian businesses being targeted. To say that some law was enacted purely to keep nigerian businesses out of Ghana is just plain ridiculous.  Nigerians are not the only ones expanding into other markets. We have Liberian businessmen doing brisk business in Ghana and they have been there long before the Nigerian banks came. How come they are not being 'targeted'? Are liberians white? We have Somalian, Kenyan, Sudanese, Libyan, South African, businesses in Ghana. Are they all white? There are ghanaian businessmen expanding into other countries too, including nigeria. I gave some examples in one of my previous posts. Hell my own family owns a T-roll factory in Liberia. When we go there, we follow the rules, if we break them, and we are punished, we won't turn around and say they are only punishing us for breaking the rules because we are africans and that foreigners would have gotten away with breaking the same rules. that's bull.

Your statement that Ghana is failing to produce an entepreneurial class in just wrong. Are there more nigerian businesses in Ghana than Ghanaian businesses? What proportion of businesses in Ghana are Nigerian owned, less than 2%.

Friends, don't be throwing the word Xenophobia around willing-nilly. There are impressionable kids like ikeyman00 around. Do you want our children to grow up thinking they are enemies? Xenophobia is a strong word. Do you see any Pakistanis and Indians hanging together? even as kids? NO. Now that's hate! Every Nigerian living in europe or America has at least 1 ghanaian friend. And vice-versa. since when do we hate you?

A lot has been said on this thread about how nigerians are being targeted, this and that.  But there has been no acknowledgement of the possibility that maybe your businessmen in question are indeed at fault. Are they angels? Do they play by the rules at home? Is it so difficult to believe that they may be breaking the rules outside home?
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by londoner: 3:46pm On May 23, 2009
Well I dont think anyone here is suggesting for one minute that Nigerian business in Ghana should be allowed to flout the law. It goes without saying that they should obey the regulations of the host country.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by carago: 6:31pm On May 23, 2009
@ shesi,
man, i've gotta say I respect you a great deal for the way you make your arguments. There comes a point when there's no need to stoop low to some peoples level just to make a point. Its very obvious that ikey, something, whoever he is, is a slowpoke. No need to argue with him. Who ever agrees with his useless talk here is also a slowpoke. So I implore you not to address the morons any more. Its obvious they don't represent the general opinions of all Nigerians cuz I do know a lot of Nigerians, and they are not this dumb.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by ikeyman00(m): 9:30pm On May 23, 2009
[size=16pt]drinking orange juice[/size]
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by igelomo(m): 10:51pm On May 23, 2009
@shesi

I have to say at this point that i have never taken out time to read all posts and comments on nairaland. My point is that i think u must be very intelligent to have posted this comment compared to the other Kofis's and Afonso's earlier.At this juncture, me i go like sey make we come together as Africans and be our brother's keeper. Nigeria has a lot to learn from Ghana.The truth be sey enu o se like Durella puts it.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by honeric01(m): 8:06am On May 24, 2009
shesi:

@honoric

what you have to realise it this; as a nigerian, unless you take an active interest in news from other countries, 95% of the news you hear in your local media will be news CONCERNING nigeria. This does not in any way mean that this is ALL that is happening. Did the papers in Nigeria report it when the government of Ghana cancelled the licences of some Norwegian firms and ordered them to leave due to their bad management practices? NO right? Did your newspapers report it when the same happened to some Malaysians a few years ago? NO again right? The group of Chinese businessmen currently on trial in Ghana for underhand business practices, Did that make the news in Nigeria? NO again.

So shesi, tell me, Where did you see Nigeria or Nigerians talking bad about other African countries through our media houses Joy FM in Accra is the culprit here, they are so good at talking ill about Nigeria thus building hate in the minds of more Ghanaian, Our Nigerian Ambassador to Ghana spoke about it, is name is Senator Obanikoro, you can try searching for that news.

See, i have never on this thread talked down on Ghana, you can check out my comments so far on this thread, i have Ghanaian friends and i like them very much, even more than some tribes in Nigeria so don't get it twisted. We Nigerians (Most) don't really have hate problems towards our fellow Africans, but why does the rest of Africans have towards us, That's what i still want to know.

by the way, some of the comments you made in your last post to me wasn't suppose to be directed to me cos i don't remember saying anything that warranted the comments, maybe you wanted to address someone's posts but end up directly them at me. you can cross-check and make necessary corrections.

Thanks in advance
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by Builder: 10:58am On May 24, 2009
Hmmm, as a proud Nigerian. I feel somewhat sad and disgusted by most of the comments on this thread , why on
earth would you think Ghanaians are scared of your domination over their economy? ehn!!! why? this is a country
with no regular power supply, no running water, a country whose rulers are fraudsters, criminals and thieves a
country whose leaders job description is mis-prority, embezzlement and mismanagement of public fund, a country
whose democratic election is compared to that of a JSS1 food canteen breaktime.

Dont get me wrong i love my country to death but nigerians just think they are God's gift to africa, nigeria to the
best the of my knowlegde was once the giant and food basket of africa, but now, nigeria is relegated to the bottom
of any or all category in africa, the only thing , as far as im concerned that nigeria is proud of is its oil/curse and
what have they got to show for it.

Ghana im sure have its own problem just like any other country, but accusing the other country of jealousy isnt the best way to go about it besides, working together to tackle these problems goes a long way in building a stronger and better continent
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by londoner: 1:14pm On May 25, 2009
@Builder, it was the finance minister from GHANA who said that Ghanaian businessmen feared Nigerian domination in their economy. She said it while in Nigeria.

Ghanaian Minister of Trade and Industry, Mrs. Hannah Tetteh, on Sunday threw an insight into why the alleged xenophobic feelings in her country had remained despite efforts at resolving it.

Ghanaian business men were accused of asking foreigners, including Nigerians to leave, for “dominating” their economy.

Its not about Nigeria and whether our politicians imbessle, or whether we have electricity or not, it stems from what Nigerians are doing IN GHANA.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by honeric01(m): 3:36pm On May 25, 2009
@londerer

Some people don't get to the root of a topic, all they do is join the bandwagon because they already have a premeditated opinion to shew out.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by londoner: 4:05pm On May 25, 2009
@ Honeric, seriously, all that interests some is criticising Nigeria, even if they have to go out of context and even on a detour to get there, lol
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by honeric01(m): 4:33pm On May 25, 2009
@londerer
Yes, it's pathetic, and they still claim they are Nigerians, i don't know what to call them,

THEY ARE VERY GOOD AT DEGRADING AND DOWNGRADING ANYTHING NIGERIAN.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by Litmus: 8:09pm On May 25, 2009
@londoner, Ikyi & honeric01

Do you seriously believe that people who come on the board and proclaim themselves Nigerian really are Nigerian?

You really believe that Nigerians really are that stupid or that arrogant to do what no other nationality on the planet does. Think of all the countries on the planet. Ask yourself, who one of them would be as stupid as to condemn the land of their ancestors, the way some so-called-Nigerians do on numerous discussion boards up and down the net. Have you met any Jewish person old or young with connection to Germany? I have met several. Some were old people, who as young people, endured terrible hardship during the holocaust. Others did not have direct experience but had relatives who died in the camps and had surviving relatives who informed them of what took place. The thing is, not one of these people had a bad word to say about Germany. I once met a couple of Rwandan van drivers/owners who happened to belong to that first wave of asylum seekers and refuges who Britain accepted. I was interested in hearing what they had to say. The experience they described was terrible but I discovered also that they had nothing bad to say about Rwanda only the Military, France and UN.  Try condemning Somalia on a Somali board and you would be surprised the type of abuse that comes your way.  You must know this to be true: There are no people’ on the planet that you can get to criticise their countries or condemn whole swaths of their society, good or bad, the way you get from so-called Nigerians. Never!

For this reason, I have slowly come to recognise that many of the people doing this aren’t Nigerians. I know its difficult to believe because in spite of how the world may what to perceive us (True) Nigerians we’re some of the most straightforward honest people in the world and because we’re not sneaky people, we are often gullible and vulnerable because of it. Real Nigerians cannot imagine going to some other Nationality board, pretend they are that Nationality just so they can cause confusion or criticise with impunity. However, I know from experience several nationalities and one race who are fund of doing that very thing. These are other Africans, Somalians and Ghanaians (esp those Ghanaians that have  lived in Nigeria) and white racists. Always bear that in mind and don’t be despondent. You can sometimes recognise these impostors like this: their profile is often male and yet they insult you, or use language, which is unmanly, rabid, disgusting and undignified. Nigerian men are often very dignified, sure we’re not shy in coming forward or arguing but Nigerian men are very rarely rabid, shouty or screamy unlike say Somali men and sometimes Ghanaian men.

Some of these Trolls and Foreigners come on out board and slowly because they understand more than we do the power of suggestion, they turn us into people unsure of ourselves. By the process of self-fulfilling prophesy try to make us people no longer confident but the very epitome of degradation and niggardliness the racist want us to be. If you look at the world of, Africa-originating-Black-people, right now you will see that apart from maybe two people from Kenya (a Nobel laureate and Obama) Nigerians are doing all the running. It would pay some people, with disturbing agendas to see Nigeria and Nigerians begin to fail.

In Britain, 10years ago a statistics showed that Nigerians where the top achievers educationally followed by people of oriental decent (Chinese/Japanese) then Indians. One of the reasons why Nigerians and the Asians achieved so highly was due to their family structure. However, the trend in Social work now, is to use the Nigerian family discipline, which worked so well in the past, as a weapon against the Nigerian Family Structure.   Therefore, what you get now in the field of Social Work are Nigerian children taken into care in large numbers on the pretext that they are being abused. Whether one wants to read conspiracy into this or the other things, the upshot is that, the policy will lead to delinquency in the Nigerian community in future if not already doing so now. 

I believe that all true Nigerians must start to work hard to counter this negative propaganda against us and to be more vigilant about society. We have many enemies, don’t let them win.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by honeric01(m): 9:25pm On May 25, 2009
@litmus

that's why i just don't waste time exchanging words with some of them, they are a waste of time because they already have something to say before even coming to the forum
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by londoner: 9:48pm On May 25, 2009
@ litmus, most of them are Nigerians. This is the current trend with Nigerians, they love to criticise Nigeria (not without cause) but they wont say much else. Anything positive, these people will be as quiet as a church mouse. The only thing which gets them riled up is criticism.

I believe they are Nigerians, and I see it often.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by honeric01(m): 10:01pm On May 25, 2009
God will help us

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria Inflation rate Drops To 15.99% In October - as food prices ease / 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant / "CARD NOT SMART" What Does This Really Mean !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.