Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,838 members, 7,798,819 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:53 AM

Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism (10314 Views)

Why A Christian Girl Converted To Islam (Photo) / 5 Seriously Difficult Atheist Questions For Christians That Are Mind-twisting / 10 Kinds Of Christians That Put A Smile On God's Face (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by naijapips02: 10:11am On Nov 15, 2015

1 Share

Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by naijapips02: 10:14am On Nov 15, 2015
5 Religious Leaders Who Gave Up the Faith and Became Outspoken Atheists and Agnostics

1) Dan Barker. Religion was a major part of Dan Barker’s life for more than two decades. He became an evangelical Christian in his early teens and entered a career as a preacher who specialized in spreading the Christian faith through music. He wrote popular religious children’s musicals, worked heavily with Christian singer Manuel Bonilla, and accompanied many other famous Christian musicians.

Over the years, however, Barker’s reading caused him to start to doubt the truth not just of Christianity, but claims of God altogether. In 1984, he publicly came out as an atheist. Since then, Barker has become a prominent atheist leader and author, writing two books about his journey and working with the Clergy Project and the Freedom From Religion Foundation. Despite his past--or because of it--Barker shows no reticence in criticizing his former faith. “How happy can you be when you think every action and thought is being monitored by a judgmental ghost?” he asks, while affirming rationalism as the surer path to a happy existence.

2) Jerry DeWitt. For some, leaving religion exacts a high price. Jerry DeWitt lost his faith after 25 years in the Pentecostal ministry in Bible Belt rural America. DeWitt, who was converted at age 17 in Jimmy Swaggart’s church, hung onto his religion as long as he could, but finally could no longer hide his lack of belief.

While he found a welcoming community among atheists, particularly through the Clergy Project (devoted to helping ministers who have lost their faith) and the group Recovering From Religion, DeWitt still faced many practical concerns as a result of his deconversion. As recounted in a profile for the New York Times, DeWitt lost his job, his wife, and much of his connection to his community in his hometown of DeRidder, LA. While he is getting back on his feet with his work at Recovering From Religion and a grant from the Clergy Project, DeWitt’s story shows that for many atheists, the price for being true to your conscience remains high.

3) Teresa MacBain. Teresa MacBain described to NPR the hell that is continuing to serve as a minister after losing your faith in God: “I start having stomachaches, headaches, just knowing that I got to stand up and say things that I no longer believe in and portray myself in a way that's totally false.”

MacBain continued to serve as a minister despite having concluded that she didn’t believe in no small part because she feared the economic devastation that would follow if she didn’t have her job as a minister any longer. Eventually, with moral support from the Clergy Project, she moved on to become an outspoken atheist and the executive director of Humanists of Florida.

MacBain describes a lifetime of squelching doubts, going back to her adolescence, when she noticed the internal contradictions in the Bible. Despite decades of trying to ignore her doubts, her inherent nature as a questioner eventually came out. She described her deconversion to American Atheist Magazine: “I didn’t want to lose my faith. I didn’t want to change or stop believing, but I wanted truth more!”

4) Anthony Pinn. Anthony Pinn is a professor of religious studies at Rice University and an outspoken expert on African-American humanism. As he explained in a recent speech at Skepticon, he began preaching at the ripe old age of 12, and was ordained at age of 18. His doubts started immediately after he started working as a youth pastor in Bed-Stuy in Brooklyn. Now he has a Ph.D. in religious studies from Harvard and a professorship in Houston, and he’s a blunt and outspoken critic of religion, focusing specifically on religion’s inability to address the concerns of the black community.

Depending on your point of view, Pinn’s acerbic wit and no-holds-barred approach to the discussion of belief versus non-belief is either delightful or offensive. In a recent interview with the Root, Pinn summed up his critique of religion by saying, “I think African Americans are worse off because of their allegiance to theism. The belief in God and gods has not been particularly useful or productive for them. It has lessened their appeal to their own creativity and ingenuity, and in most cases has resulted in a kind of bizarre understanding of suffering as a marker of closeness to God and a mark of divine favor. Nothing good can come out of that.”

5) Andrew Johnson. In the Mormon faith, young men must demonstrate their right to inherit the priesthood by going on a missionary trip to spread their faith to the non-believers. For Andrew Johnson, however, going on a missionary trip made him a non-believer. The time away from home made it easier to research literature (including Richard Dawkins' instant classic, The God Delusion) that spoke to his doubts about God.

Johnson has since put that famous Mormon work ethic to the task of helping other ex-Mormon atheists find community and support, creating a club called Atheists of Utah Valley. “I thought I was the only one,” Johnson said, but his work organizing atheists in the atheist-unfriendly Mormon region of Utah has conclusively demonstrated that atheists are turning up, and thriving, in every corner of this country.

These are just a sampling of the stories happening every day in this country as people who aren’t just believers but leaders in their various faith communities are losing their faith and turning to secular humanism to find the answers to life's big questions. The Clergy Project, an organization devoted to helping members of the clergy who no longer believe, has over 200 members, despite its rather recent founding. Now that atheists are organizing and making their presence known more than ever before, the ranks of religious leaders who no longer believe and want to come out is only likely to keep growing.

http://www.alternet.org/belief/5-religious-leaders-who-gave-faith-and-became-outspoken-atheists-and-agnostics

cc winner01
Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by Richirich713: 10:35am On Nov 15, 2015
and after they converted no none care what they thought anymore, for just like all atheists, they will be forgotten.

But jesus will remain the most influential person to ever live.

3 Likes

Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by naijapips02: 10:41am On Nov 15, 2015
Richirich713:
and after they converted no none care what they thought anymore, for just like all atheists, they will be forgotten.

Really?

Do you know Brad Pitt before or after he became an atheist? angry

3 Likes

Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by Richirich713: 10:52am On Nov 15, 2015
naijapips02:

Really?

Do you know Brad Pitt before or after he became an atheist? angry

Honestly I never even knew he was a atheist, It just shows people don't care wat he believe or thinks, they just watch his movies.

2 Likes

Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by naijapips02: 10:59am On Nov 15, 2015
Richirich713:

Honestly I never even knew he was a atheist, It just shows people don't care wat he believe or thinks, they just watch his movies.

Yeah. Religion or the lack of it shouldn't form any pedestal with which to judge our fellow humans. A good man is a good man, whether atheist or muslim.

1 Like

Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by Richirich713: 11:05am On Nov 15, 2015
naijapips02:

Yeah. Religion or the lack of it shouldn't form any pedestal with which to judge our fellow humans. A good man is a good man, whether atheist or muslim.

And then wat should we judge man's actions on?

How do we know what is good and what is not?
Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by naijapips02: 11:06am On Nov 15, 2015
Richirich713:

You would know good when you see it....trust me.

1 Like

Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by Richirich713: 11:12am On Nov 15, 2015
naijapips02:

You would know good when you see it....trust me.

People have different views on what is good nd wat is wrong.

Serial rapists think rape is OK, should we allow them to teach there children the same?

For to their eyes rape is not wrong.
Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by johnydon22(m): 11:14am On Nov 15, 2015
Seriously whats the meaning of this thread?

There is no big deal in people loosing religion or finding religion, it all depends on finding Faith or loosing faith..

upholding faith or discarding it... i wonder why you find it ok to open a thread on people who deconverted from religions as if it is a big deal or there is a race for such feat

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by johnydon22(m): 11:16am On Nov 15, 2015
Richirich713:

Just one question. . Are you trying to tell me that without religion you wouldn't know murdering your child is wrong?

You trying to tell me you cannot distinguish between what you find to be right from wrong in relation to human interaction without religion... am curious

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by Richirich713: 11:19am On Nov 15, 2015
johnydon22:

Just one question. . Are you trying to tell me that without religion you wouldn't know murdering your child is wrong?

Yes to some people it will be no problem.
Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by Richirich713: 11:22am On Nov 15, 2015
There has to be something to judge between right nd wrong.

For then it's just going to be different opinions.

1 Like

Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by naijapips02: 11:23am On Nov 15, 2015
johnydon22:
Seriously whats the meaning of this thread?

in response to winner01's allusive thread on atheist converting to Christianity.
Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by johnydon22(m): 11:24am On Nov 15, 2015
Richirich713:

Yes to some people it will be no problem.

Please my question was directed to you not to some people... Without religion You cannot distinguish between what you find to right or wrong in relation to human interactions?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by Richirich713: 11:27am On Nov 15, 2015
johnydon22:

Please my question was directed to you not to some people... Without religion You cannot distinguish between what you find to right or wrong in relation to human interactions?

No u can distinguished according to ur views but it's only going to be ur opinion.
Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by johnydon22(m): 11:28am On Nov 15, 2015
naijapips02:

in response to winner01's allusive thread on atheist converting to Christianity.

Are you in any form of competition with anybody on who deconverted to this or who converted to that?

The position of being atheistic is not a religious position but rather a position of unbelief in God(s) so equating that position with converting to a certain religion is totally uncool and uncalled for.

This is not a competition, people find FAITH people loose it to subscribe to honest skepticism and intellectual honesty and curiosity people also find Faith even after being atheistic, it is a matter of psychological tilt of the subject..

It is not a competition, so i would say this thread was totally unnecessary..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by naijapips02: 11:29am On Nov 15, 2015
Richirich713:

No u can distinguished according to ur views but it's only going to be ur opinion.

Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by naijapips02: 11:30am On Nov 15, 2015
johnydon22:

Are you in any form of competition with anybody on who deconverted to this or who converted to that?

The position of being atheistic is not a religious position but rather a position of unbelief in God(s) so equating that position with converting to a certain religion is totally uncool and uncalled for.

This is not a competition, people find FAITH people loose it to subscribe to honest skepticism and intellectual honesty and curiosity people also find Faith even after being atheistic, it is a matter of psychological tilt of the subject..

It is not a competition, so i would say this thread was totally unnecessary..

No! i wanted to show him how silly it was to open a thread on who deconverted to what.

1 Like

Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by winner01(m): 11:30am On Nov 15, 2015
You dont leave a place youve never been.
Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by Richirich713: 11:32am On Nov 15, 2015
naijapips02:

have you heard about the 'common good' ?

No I haven't
Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by johnydon22(m): 11:32am On Nov 15, 2015
Richirich713:

No u can distinguished according to ur views

Good now i am glad you have agreed someone can have a moral standard with or without religion which has murdered your assertion of asking how to determine morality without religion... Hope you can correct yourself accordingly..

It is called INDEPENDENT MORAL BASIS in conformity to human social interactions..

but it's only going to be ur opinion.

And the doctrines of moral dictates you now follow as a Christian or so are they not also Opinions of the progenitors of such doctrines?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by naijapips02: 11:32am On Nov 15, 2015
winner01:
You dont leave a place youve never been.

Anthony Pinn. Anthony Pinn is a professor of religious studies at Rice University and an outspoken expert on African-American humanism. As he explained in a recent speech at Skepticon, he began preaching at the ripe old age of 12, and was ordained at age of 18. His doubts started immediately after he started working as a youth pastor in Bed-Stuy in Brooklyn. Now he has a Ph.D. in religious studies from Harvard and a professorship in Houston, and he’s a blunt and outspoken critic of religion, focusing specifically on religion’s inability to address the concerns of the black community.

Depending on your point of view, Pinn’s acerbic wit and no-holds-barred approach to the discussion of belief versus non-belief is either delightful or offensive. In a recent interview with the Root, Pinn summed up his critique of religion by saying, “I think African Americans are worse off because of their allegiance to theism. The belief in God and gods has not been particularly useful or productive for them. It has lessened their appeal to their own creativity and ingenuity, and in most cases has resulted in a kind of bizarre understanding of suffering as a marker of closeness to God and a mark of divine favor. Nothing good can come out of that.”
Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by johnydon22(m): 11:35am On Nov 15, 2015
naijapips02:

have you heard about the 'common good' ?

Common good like morality itself is a societal construct and so differs from society to society in conformity to their mutual interactions or autocratic dictates of an elite class of moral progenitors or leaders..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by Richirich713: 11:40am On Nov 15, 2015
johnydon22:

Good now i am glad you have agreed someone can have a moral standard with or without religion which has murdered your assertion of asking how to determine morality without religion... Hope you can correct yourself accordingly..

It is called INDEPENDENT MORAL BASIS in conformity to human social interactions..

And the doctrines of moral dictates you now follow as a Christian or so are they not also Opinions of the progenitors of such doctrines?

And that's where the problem comes, u believe I'm just following man's opinions cuz to u there's no God.
Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by johnydon22(m): 11:40am On Nov 15, 2015
naijapips02:

No! i wanted to show him how silly it was to open a thread on who deconverted to what.

I myself have been a christian before, even more so than most people on this board. . . There is nothing special about someone loosing faith or finding it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by johnydon22(m): 11:44am On Nov 15, 2015
Richirich713:

And that's where the problem comes, u believe I'm just following man's opinions cuz to u there's no God.

Last i checked here i have not mentioned the actuality of Personal Gods on this thread.

You only believe the dictates of these men because you also believe they are the dictates of God.

It is a circle of moral dance... Bible said (written by man) -----> (You believe bible is word of God) therefore God said -----> Then you obey.

I myself can also draft out my own idea of moral code and say God said it..

Last i checked there is no moral code in the bible that have not been present in older philosophies in different cultures and religions in different timelines.

And there are also many chargers of this word of God that spells abject barbarism in the name of a moral code that you yourself can never bring yourself to carry out... why is that..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by neocortex: 11:49am On Nov 15, 2015
Richirich713:

Only shallow people measures their life achievements by how famous they are.
If your life always seems meaningless when you got to the corner
of your room but reverse is the case when you are with the brethren, then
you need to revisit what you believe.
Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by Richirich713: 11:51am On Nov 15, 2015
johnydon22:
Last i checked here i have not mentioned the actuality of Personal Gods on this thread.

You only believe the dictates of these men because you also believe they are the dictates of God.

It is a circle of moral dance... Bible said (written by man) -----> (You believe bible is word of God) therefore God said -----> Then you obey.

I myself can also draft out my own idea of moral code and say God said it..

Last i checked there is no moral code in the bible that have not been present in older philosophies in different cultures and religions in different timelines.

And there are also many chargers of this word of God that spells abject barbarism that you yourself can never bring yourself to carry out... why is that..

And this is where ur beliefs come in, there's no God, so bible must have been written by men who just said a God said it.

U don't even believe in God, so to u the bible is just lies by men.
Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by johnydon22(m): 12:01pm On Nov 15, 2015
Richirich713:

And this is where ur beliefs come in, there's no God, so bible must have been written by men who just said a God said it.

Hahahahaha are we still going over this? I have not mentioned the existence of personal Gods here you keep bringing them up..

So should we also take it that other moral codes that predates even the old testament are also from the different God concepts of the cultures they are found in?

Like Hammurabi code
Code of Narsim
Maat
Code of Uruk...

There are many ancient moral codes found in every culture and civilization, should we also conclude these codes are the words of the different God(s) of these civilizations?

U don't even believe in God, so to u the bible is just lies by men.
[b]
Not believing in a God is not synonymous to saying the bible is a lie anymore than saying Code of Uruk are lies by men... There are many parts of the bible or the Hammurabi code that i agree with

You see for such code to claim the involvement of a deity, it shows to be much shallow and rooted in preexisting codes and most times is not compatible with a 21st century ethic.. Morality or societal ethics remains a social construct that differs from society to society.

E.G The word of God (bible) said it is ok to burn a wayward daughter of a priest to death (Don't give me it is in the old testament stuff because unless you agree the old testament and new testament yahweh are different deities then i would take you serious on that.. )

So why are you not doing this, why is it you don't like homosexuality just like the old testament asserts but don't agree with it when it comes to burning wayward daughters of priests..

For God to allow such laws show he thinks such law is moral, how come even you do not agree to the moral idea of this God and you most times discard these laws of God that are not in coincide to your own ideas of moral actions
[/b]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by naijapips02: 12:03pm On Nov 15, 2015
johnydon22:

Hahahahaha are we still going over this? I have not mentioned the existence of personal Gods here you keep bringing them up..

So should we also take it that other moral codes that predates even the old testament are also from the different God concepts of the cultures they are found in?

Like Hammurabi code
Code of Narsim
Maat
Code of Uruk...

There are many ancient moral codes found in every culture and civilization, should we also conclude these codes are the words of the different God(s) of these civilizations?

Not believing in a God is not synonymous to saying the bible is a lie anymore than saying Code of Uruk are lies by men.

You see for such code to claim the involvement of a deity, it shows to be much shallow and rooted in preexisting codes and most times is not compatible with a 21st century ethic.. Morality or societal ethics remains a social construct that differs from society to society.

E.G The word of God (bible) said it is ok to burn a wayward daughter of a priest to death (Don't give me it is in the old testament stuff because unless you agree the old testament and new testament yahweh are different deities then i would take you serious on that.. )

So why are you not doing this, why is it you don't like homosexuality just like the old testament asserts but don't agree with it when it comes to burning wayward daughters of priests..

wise words. cool
Re: Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism by Richirich713: 12:23pm On Nov 15, 2015
johnydon22:

Yes God has a lot to do about, cuz my argument was religion should be used to judge people, wat religion?

I no u no I'm christian nd it should be obvious that I believe the my religion came from GOD.

Are u really that slow, that I have to inform I GOD has a lot to do with the argument.

johnydon22:

Like Hammurabi code
Code of Narsim
Maat
Code of Uruk...

Exactly people need moral codes.

johnydon22:

Not believing in a God is not synonymous to saying the bible is a lie anymore than saying Code of Uruk are lies by men.

Yes it is old testament stuff nd NT stuff.

Lol its has to be 2 different Yahweh's, haha

Clearly showing u don't no wat the new testament teaches about the old testament laws.

I don't agree with homo's cuz the NT says it's evil.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Devil Is Powerless Without Your Fear. / Does It Mean That All My Prayers Are Not Being Answered? / Reasons Why Pastors Cannot Be Millionaires By Deji Yesufu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.