Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:12 PM

N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment (16235 Views)

SIM Fine: MTN Pays N165bn Out Of N330bn – NCC / We Have Paid N80 Billion Out Of N300 Billion Fine – MTN Nigeria / N1.04tn Fine: MTN Seeks Out Of Court Settlement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by Adesiji77: 1:08am On Nov 16, 2015
MTN has asked Nigeria for a plan to allow it to stagger the payment of a $5.2bn (N1.04tn) fine as the deadline for the payment expires today (Monday) , a source at the Nigerian Communications Commission said on Sunday.

The source added that the government was considering the request, made at a meeting on Friday between MTN and high-level government officials, and that the decision would be disclosed on Monday.

Authoritative sources told one of our correspondents on Sunday that the Federal Government at a meeting with MTN officials on Friday night rejected pleas by the mobile company to have the fine slashed. It was learnt that the Federal Government insisted that the rule should be followed since the rule that was contravened was clear.

Failing to obtain a reduction, MTN officials were said to have asked to have the payment staggered over a period of two years. By the end of the meeting on Friday, the proposal had not been accepted.

However, it was learnt that there were would be another round of meeting on Sunday night to resolve the knotty issue.

If the Sunday night meeting resolved the issues, the Federal Government may speak on the matter within two days, it was gathered. Since the imbroglio, neither NCC nor the Federal Government has officially spoken on the matter.

The NCC slapped the fine on MTN last month for its failure to cut off 5.2 million unregistered SIM cards.

MTN spokesman Chris Maroleng said, “We are waiting for authorities to come back to us”.

Nigeria has been pushing telecommunication operators to verify the identity of subscribers due to concerns that unregistered SIM cards are being used for criminal activity or even by Boko Haram militants waging an Islamist insurgency in the northeast.

“At the meeting, MTN pleaded passionately for staggered payment since the option of reduction of the fine had been ruled out,” the NCC source told Reuters.

However, a source familiar with the discussions said that an eleventh hour reduction of the fine could still be possible.

“Until the final announcement is made, there may be some room for manoeuvre,” the source familiar with the situation said.

Spokesmen for Presidency and communications ministry declined to comment.

The fine – if fully enforced – amounts to more than the past two years’ profit for the MTN in its biggest market. The new Minister of Cmmunications, Adebayo Shittu, told Reuters on Friday the government did not want the MTN “to die” or shut down operations as a result of the penalty.

The fine is based on $1,000 per outstanding unregistered SIM card, as stipulated by Nigerian telecommunications laws.

Nigeria accounts for 37 per cent of revenues for MTN, which operates in more than 20 countries in Africa and the Middle East. Since the announcement of the fine, its shares have lost nearly 25 per cent of their value.

http://punchng.com/n1-04tn-fine-mtn-pleads-for-staggered-payment/ lalasticlala

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by olumide81(m): 1:13am On Nov 16, 2015
'Staggered payment'...... So that we Nigerians will help them with the payment through excess extortion?

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by Nobody: 5:50am On Nov 16, 2015
Today? Oh wow!

Guys what's your preference, Lepa or Orobo? cheesy
http://gidilink..com.ng/2015/11/lepa-or-orobo.html

1 Share

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by Nobody: 5:57am On Nov 16, 2015
Wait! Wait!! Wait!!!
1.04trillion Naira! Thats 999million + 1.04million if am right 'cause my maths sucks.
MTN deserve it to some extent tho, but on anotherhand, its more like Nigeria vs S.A rivalry to me.
And if we're to think ahead, wheres all those money going to?
Who's pocket or account?
Cos after it has been paid now, it'd be silence everywhere.
I so dread that the rich would get richer with it and the poor MTN users would be used to generate that back.
Smh.
*oddthoughts

2 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by Nobody: 8:22am On Nov 16, 2015
Pay up, suckers.

2 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by looseweight: 8:22am On Nov 16, 2015
Mtn and high tarrif are like bread and butter

Check my signature to loose up to 10kg of fat in any area of your body

2 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by Lovexme(m): 8:22am On Nov 16, 2015
We'll think about it.

1 Like

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by lonelydora: 8:23am On Nov 16, 2015
NO. We no gree. If the case is reversed, will SA agree?

PMB please tell MTN that you don't want to hear about this fine again (just the way Abacha told his then chief of staff he didn't want to hear about Bakassi again. Cameroon wan try?) They should go and pay asap.

When they seized our dollars, didn't they follow all laws?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by Berrylite: 8:23am On Nov 16, 2015
Na the discribers go hear am. I now call with 28k/sec in the note

Manage your diabetes and hypertension using natural supplements. Check my signature below
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by 69MissedCalls(m): 8:24am On Nov 16, 2015
Dstv!! you are next!

2 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by BCISLTD: 8:24am On Nov 16, 2015
angry they deserve to pay more...for all the text messages they keep sending. .

https://www.nairaland.com/2620472/toks-2008-benz-gl450-sale

Buy that

1 Like

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by imma2(m): 8:24am On Nov 16, 2015
This should be the best solution as long as they pay the complete fine
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by kulobyno: 8:24am On Nov 16, 2015
So this wicked ripper company hasn't paid this fine since

1 Like

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by allanphash7(m): 8:24am On Nov 16, 2015
End time pleads in lasisi69 voice

2 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by Nobody: 8:25am On Nov 16, 2015
"I will wage war against doz wu wage war against u" By God..(Its inside d bible)

Iffu see d way 'MTN' waged war against my credit..'. U go pity me' i call customer care reach level;dem dey avoid me..

Awon werey gbogbo !

10 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by wildchild1: 8:25am On Nov 16, 2015
ziqzaq:
Wait! Wait!! Wait!!!
1.04trillion Naira! Thats 999million + 1.04million if am right 'cause my maths sucks.
MTN deserve it to some extent tho, but on anotherhand, its more like Nigeria vs S.A rivalry to me.
Who's pocket or account?
I so dread that the rich would get richer with it and the poor MTN users would be used to generate that back.
Smh.
*oddthoughts
Olodo..it's 999billion + 1.04 billion grin

31 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by Sasuwa(f): 8:25am On Nov 16, 2015
Why waste ur time checking this shit, when u have some
Skills to acquire before youth service NYSC
Delay in our educational system is evident, this is why graduate have to wait for several month after graduation before going for the youth service cops. The term African time is not only evident in our social lives, even in our education system is evident, and this is why even our universities are not left behind. The fact the NYSC 2015 batch C is cancelled is not far fetch from the course of the 2015bv electioneering. But this is not the first time and I don’t think it is going to stop in next few years.
Most graduate are left stranded w

continue reading
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by eshietIntrepid(m): 8:25am On Nov 16, 2015
Today interesting ncc should make sure they pay the money all at once.

I want at the end of the day will hear stuffs like the money is missing or miss management.
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by johnstar(m): 8:25am On Nov 16, 2015
K
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by Warlord3000(m): 8:25am On Nov 16, 2015
ziqzaq:
Wait! Wait!! Wait!!!
Who's pocket or account?
Smh.
*oddthoughts

Your maths Is bad... cheesy

I think you wanted to say 999 BILLION PLUS A BILLION and then more millions In a whole junk cheesy

5 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by 360ng: 8:25am On Nov 16, 2015
pay pls
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by Pidggin(f): 8:26am On Nov 16, 2015
This is day light robbery, the fine is ridiculous

The only reason such a fine will be required of MTN is to ruin the company.

5 Likes

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by donbrowser(m): 8:26am On Nov 16, 2015
If NCC should keep at this, it's a good move but MtN should be closely monitored with their staggered payment plea... The adverse effects might just be on their customers.
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by trustedward(m): 8:26am On Nov 16, 2015
աaɨt օօ,ɨռ as ʍʊċɦ as I աaռt ʍtռ tօ քaʏ tɦat ʍօռɛʏ,tɦɛ զʊɛstɨօռ ɦɛʀɛ ɨs tօ աɦօsɛ քօċҡɛt ɨs DAT աօքɨռɢ aʍօʊt օʄ ʍօռɛʏ ɢօɨռɢ ɨռtօ aռɖ tօ աɦօsɛ ɖɛtʀɨʍɛռt...աɨʟʟ ɨt ɦɛʟք tɦɛ ċօʍʍօռ ʍaռ օʀ ʍaҡɛ tɦɛ ʀɨċɦ ʀɨċɦɛʀ...ɖʊռռօ sɦa...ʝst asҡɨռɢ...

1 Like

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:26am On Nov 16, 2015
God help mtn and Nigeria economy.
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by mrpablo(m): 8:27am On Nov 16, 2015
ziqzaq:
Wait! Wait!! Wait!!!
Who's pocket or account?
Smh.
*oddthoughts
ur math really sucks. Its 999billion + 1.4billion not million

1 Like

Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by oshe11: 8:27am On Nov 16, 2015
I'd rada dey use d fine to giv us(d customer) unlimited download for 3mnths
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by Goldenheart(m): 8:27am On Nov 16, 2015
Make them pay

after all they want to milk the 5. million unregistered subscribers before blocking them
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by yomalex(m): 8:27am On Nov 16, 2015
Okay o
Re: N1.04tn Fine: MTN Pleads For Staggered Payment by adexsimply(m): 8:27am On Nov 16, 2015
ziqzaq:
Wait! Wait!! Wait!!!
Who's pocket or account?
Smh.
*oddthoughts
Your maths really sucks. No be only your maths sef, your .... lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Signs That Shows Your Android Smartphone Is Infected With Malware / Nigerians May Just Save Blackberry From Extinction / Promo: MTN Now Giving Out Free Internet Access To All Their Subscribers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.