Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,979 members, 7,806,857 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:34 AM

Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri (38012 Views)

Operation Python Dance Is An Act Of Terror - Chuks Nwachukwu, Legal Practitioner / Do You Remember This Picture!!!!! It's Happening Again / Reno Omokri With Air Hostesses At Sofitel Heathrow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by Koolmexxi(m): 4:13pm On Nov 16, 2015
It's really becoming embarrassing the fuss dis whole "Why use France as ur dp" is generating... I have not heard or read anywhere it was made compulsory for every fb user to do such. . Some of our mentality is just really laughable. When the #BringBackOurGirls# hashtag was trending, did any of the various countries who joined in the trend complain about missing gals in their own areas not trending or give some silly excuse or reason for not wanting to join the trend. Let's just stop dis embarrassment and kip our opinions to ourselves.

3 Likes

Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by Google63(m): 4:14pm On Nov 16, 2015
belabela:

I think you are getting ahead of yourself.

Where was facebook criticised?

In any case Remo made a good observation - when millions are killed in Nigeria, many of the Nigerians changing their profiles to french flags now can't be bothered. They even come out to mock the north - they say things like " let them kill themselves" now that some people die in france of thesame terror they are changing their profile pictures to french flag. It's called mental slavery.
Why do Nigerians like being critical about everything. We just like showing we are better than others. If I decide to use the flag of Guinea Bissau or Trinidad and Tobago as my profile picture, how does it affect you. I think we'll achieve alot by minding our own business, and removing the log in our eyes before removing specs from someone else's eyes.
Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by timpaker(m): 4:15pm On Nov 16, 2015
And who is he to tell me who or who not to support?

I can choose to put up anyone's flag for all I care.

Having condemned BH barbaric act severally (both past and present) and the result is something i still don't understand, so if i condemn the act in Paris it is because i don't want them to be like Nigeria where we had the chance of stopping this homegrown war but decided to politicize it to score cheap political points while also bashing certain tribe, region and faith.

1 Like

Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 4:15pm On Nov 16, 2015

1 Like

Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by ZYZZA: 4:16pm On Nov 16, 2015
this is also an act of slavery

people would just wake up and talk trash

seen the last picture there did more self

idi0t every where

3 Likes

Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by jhubril(m): 4:17pm On Nov 16, 2015
Let us imagine a situation where the French parliament makes a long list of its new citizens to include everyone who has decorated his or her profile picture with the blue,white and red flag. This,as it appears,may be viewed as a product of dreaming indolence,it is no less,in my view, a litmus test with which to settle the question of patriotism in Nigeria. It strangely excites a controversial question,will there still be a trace of patriotism in Nigerians? Just as a good guess would bring anyone closer to the answer,my instinct would go as far as to say that our dear citizens would make no haste to depopulate this country. #people don't complain when reward is the main issue.
Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by Caliente(m): 4:18pm On Nov 16, 2015
It's funny same French people supported #BBOG massively and it was cool.

1 Like

Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by sochima1989(m): 4:18pm On Nov 16, 2015
whats shameful there when you cant read or better have it hard to understand........lets keep deceiving ourselves.......support human race in any form.......
belabela:

Really?

So a french life matters more than a Nigerian life?

This is one of the most shameful comments ever made on NL

Can we please have a dislike button on nairaland.

Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by Damdeok(m): 4:18pm On Nov 16, 2015
Maybe it lack of undastanding i dnt knw..
Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by Nobody: 4:19pm On Nov 16, 2015
Koolmexxi:
It's really becoming embarrassing the fuss dis whole "Why use France as ur dp" is generating... I have not heard or read anywhere it was made compulsory for every fb user to do such. . Some of our mentality is just really laughable. When the #BringBackOurGirls# hashtag was trending, did any of the various countries who joined in the trend complain about missing gals in their own areas not trending or give some silly excuse or reason for not wanting to join the trend. Let's just stop dis embarrassment and kip our opinions to ourselves.
Ptui! angry
Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by ohenhen1: 4:19pm On Nov 16, 2015
I can't believe Nigerians are using the french flag. I am still disappointed in Buhari for traveling to the US.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by AlphaDibia(m): 4:20pm On Nov 16, 2015
A nigerian is a nyo(lover of money, women and wine), such as myself

wordcat:
Who is a nigerian

1 Like

Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by idupaul: 4:21pm On Nov 16, 2015
Promhize:

In the end, the criticism goes to Facebook. They paved way for the profile picture whatever.

When something occurs frequently enough, it becomes a norm. Whether you chose to agree or not, Boko-Haram attacks for now have almost become a norm and I don't even read articles about such attacks.

Omokri should criticize his bosses, Jonathan and Buhari not Nigerians.

In 80years, homosexuality will be a norm. That's an example.

Exactly!!! When this useless Omokri and his master were plundering the little resources of our country they didn't know they were enslaving their people with poverty ...yeye de smell joor
Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by MsGlobalwonder(f): 4:22pm On Nov 16, 2015
martineverest:
If i can remember correctly,the french and americans initiated 'bring back our girls' (as a support to nigeria when she was in need),while most nigerians(esp southern nigerians) saw the kidnap of chibok girls as a hoax by northern nigerians.they even had the notion 'na dem dey kill and kidnap themselves...wetin concern me.na dem know'...the 'bbog' did pressurize world power in assistin nigeria(of which dia assistance were decline by then govt)....in case u dont know,'pray4paris' is the french version for 'bbog'...if d french supported my country when we needed help,y wont i support dem when dey need 1
no one is talking about the government here! We are talking about individuals! Nigerians that never deem it fit to commiserate with victims of BH attack no matter the amount and extent of rot as long as any of their relatives are not involved. Same people shamelessly put up "PrayForParis" as though they've ever done such about their own countrymen. Which country needs more prayers sef? Do you have an idea of the total amount killed by BH? Smh! Nigerians re just pathetic to say the least. We may have had our independence in 1960 but trust me with this shameful facade displayed (even been shamelessly defended) we are far from being free from slavery and bondage. It's in the subconscious and it's by default! Smh! Meanwhile, check out a little of the amount killed by BH and tell me which country needs a revival most undecided

3 Likes

Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by sochima1989(m): 4:22pm On Nov 16, 2015
very good first line i must say....but must u always find an avenue to showcase your foolish views why tribes must come first and not your country?
conyema12:
This is a clear indication that there is no country in Nigeria. Even when It takes the Head of State time to acknowledge that its people are been attacked, where the opposition are busy politicizing it.

It is very sad cos the Boko haram started with the demolition of churches and maiming of southern Xtians yet the Northern religious and political class could not publicly condem it.

What a country
Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by Nobody: 4:22pm On Nov 16, 2015
MsGlobalwonder:
shame!!! So it's the government's action and/or inaction that determines your show of empathy to your fellow country men! Arghhh! To think you are even being defensive of such despicable act! Emancipate yourself from mental slavery please!! A life in nigeria is the same as that in Syria and that in France! If you haven't been so sympathetic about your own plight and rot, what moral ground and audacity do you have about another? Because they are white? Mtshewww
There is a good reason why black people are progressing because of enviousness. You are an epitome of it. If you can think to sympathize with others as mental slavery then something must be wrong with the way you see yourself. You have carry inferiority with you.
Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by Nobody: 4:22pm On Nov 16, 2015
Including Christianity

1 Like

Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by Nobody: 4:23pm On Nov 16, 2015
ohenhen1:
I can't believe Nigerians are using the french flag. I am still disappointed in Buhari for traveling to the US.
If you can't understand why they are doing that it means you have a brain problem. Sorry, you aren't smart! lipsrsealed
Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by segun359(m): 4:24pm On Nov 16, 2015
D man has a point sha.....

1 Like

Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by Maski87: 4:25pm On Nov 16, 2015
Looser, you do not represent nigeria point of view
Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by mapet: 4:25pm On Nov 16, 2015
If Reno Omokri is irrational and cannot reason beyond his capacity which is below par, then should we also follow suit? When Chibok girls were abducted, the whole world stood for us, just like we're doing for France

1 Like

Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by AlphaDibia(m): 4:26pm On Nov 16, 2015
Standing with France isn't the problem g. The ploblem here is the media and it's coverage of terrorism or lack thereof, depending on where the said terror has occured

Caliente:
Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by Nobody: 4:26pm On Nov 16, 2015
Caliente:
Can you imagine how silly many Nigerians are in their views on this issue? I am really surprised at the lack of civilized and modernity in them. It is appalling to say the least.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by Freddieyankee(m): 4:26pm On Nov 16, 2015
God bless you for helping me speak my mind and for having a great sense of reasoning.

3 Likes

Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by MsGlobalwonder(f): 4:26pm On Nov 16, 2015
kenbee:
I disagree on this! it is an act of solidarity cum condolence
that's the point. What act od "solidarity" and "condolence" have you (or do you) do for BH victims? They are your fellow countrymen oo undecided

2 Likes

Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by aril: 4:27pm On Nov 16, 2015
Samir Bennis is a political analyst. He received a Ph.D. in international relations from the University of Provence in France. He also holds a Master’s degree in political science from the University of Toulouse I, a Master’s degree in Iberian studies ...

"New York – Like everyone, I was saddened by the terrorist attacks that targeted the French capital on Friday night. I was saddened for two reasons: first, because these attacks took place in a country that is close to my heart where I spent one of the most important periods of my personal and professional life, and second, because I was quite sure the authors of these heinous acts were from ISIS, and thus my religion would be blamed by millions of simpleminded people for this tragedy.
While I expected to see an outpouring of solidarity with the French people from all over the world, I was quite surprised to see thousands of Moroccans change their profile picture to the French flag.

In light of the equally deplorable bombing of Beirut just the day before, people who follow the trend should think a moment before changing their profile pictures to support France. Is a Lebanese life worth less than a French life? Should they not have also shown their solidarity with Lebanon after the deadly attacks on Thursday? Where was their solidarity when Tunisia suffered two horrendous terrorist attacks earlier this year? Do people who now change their profile pictures to the French flag do so out of guilt that a band of criminals hiding behind the name of Islam is behind these horrendous, despicable attacks? Do they change their profile pictures just to be labeled as moderate Muslims?

I see no viable explanation for the different reactions, especially given that only 24 hours before the Paris attacks twin bombings rocked Lebanon, resulting in the death of 43 people and leaving more than 200 injured. As I watched events unfold during Thursday and Friday, I saw no expression of sorrow or empathy with the Lebanese people on social media. Neither did I see any American, French, or Spaniard change his or her profile picture in solidarity with the Lebanese people. Lebanon was left to mourn its deaths alone without any international support.
But as soon as the Paris terrorist attacks occurred, many people rushed to change their profile pictures with that of the French flag.

It is surprising to see how people get easily carried away and simply follow the trend set by the big corporations, such as Facebook, that tell them what they should and should not do. Just because some corporation told them to put the French flag, they followed the “order
It is puzzling to see that the same people who now don the French flag, did not do the same when over 1,600 Muslims died in tragic circumstances in Mecca on the Eid Al Adha holiday on September 24. Why did they not change their profile pictures to a picture of Mecca or verses of the Quran to show solidarity with the victims and their families? And why did people in the West not show solidarity with the Mecca victims by changing their profile pictures?

I personally love France, and I love the French people. This country holds a special place in my life and will always remain dear to me. I have lived there and I have unforgettable memories there, and also feel deeply sad for what happened to them. I have always stood up to defend it and to explain to people who have never been to France that, despite the stereotypes about French racism, the country is one of the most welcoming countries on earth. I know this based on my own experience, and the likes of Marine Le Pen and Erik Zemmour will never make me change my opinion about this great country.

But in our rush to show solidarity with the French people, we should not forget that we as Muslims, have the moral duty to stand in solidarity also with the Palestinians, Lebanese, Iraqis, Syrians, Libyans, and Yemenis whose lives are lost every single day. Not a day goes by without us hearing the sad news of bombings in Iraq or Syria or the killing of innocent Palestinians. These people are living in daily fear for their own lives, and they do not have a minute of respite.

People have to be careful not to unconsciously accept that the tragedies that happen in the Arab world are something normal, but when something happens in a Western country it is a disaster with worldwide reverberations.

As much as I feel sorrow for the French people, I feel deep sorrow for the suffering of the Lebanese people, as well as for the Iraqis who are paying for the criminal acts of unscrupulous Western leaders such as George Bush and Tony Blair. Should we forget that Iraq, the cradle of civilization, was reduced to nothing, annihilated because of the greed of the likes of Dick Cheney, Paul Wolfowitz, and the like? Should we just accept as a normal that over 1.5 million Iraqis died and over 3 million were maimed because of the war imposed on them by Western countries?

Are we oblivious of the fact that the Gaza Strip has been under an illegal Israeli siege for the past 8 years, in total disregard of international law and all the relevant United Nations resolutions calling for it to end its immoral siege? Can we accept as something trivial the suffering of the Palestinian people in the West Bank and the inhuman policies adopted by the Israeli government against them?

When we forget to remind the international community that there is an acute need to address all the pressing issues affecting many Arab countries, we do a disservice to ourselves, to our religion, and to other peoples, such as the French people, who aspire, as much as we, to live in peace. Meanwhile, we allow the criminals of the so-called Islamic State to have excuses to use in order to brainwash a tiny minority of so-called Muslims and hijack our faith.

As Muslims, we have the moral duty to condemn the heinous attack perpetrated by the likes of the ISIS criminals and fight their ideology, but also to remind the international community that there is more of a pressing need than ever to stop the suffering of many Muslim countries, and of the Palestinians.

Our memories should be neither short nor selective. We have to show our indefatigable solidarity with the suffering of every people that need our support. Let us not accept a hierarchy between people, nor that the lives of some are worth more than the lives of others.

Muslims are not second-class human beings, and the world has to be reminded of this fact. Whenever a human life is lost, whether it is a Muslim, a Jew, a Christian, or a person of any other religious persuasion, the same level of solidarity should be expressed by all of us.

We are all equal and should be treated as equals. The life of an American, a French, or a Briton has no more value than the life of a Moroccan, a Lebanese, or a Syrian".

www.moroccoworldnews.com/2015/11/172654/why-i-didnt-put-the-french-flag-on-my-profile-picture/

Samir Bennis is the co-founder of and editor-in-chief of Morocco World News. You can follow him on Twitter @Samir

1 Like

Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by Nobody: 4:29pm On Nov 16, 2015
AlphaDibia:
Standing with France isn't the problem g. The ploblem here is the media and it's coverage of terrorism or lack thereof, depending on where the said terror has occured

You should be asking how your country has given to fight terrorism around the world but developed nations have helped with materials to fight Boko Haram. Here you are telling us we shouldn't choose to sympathize with them when they are attacked. I can see why that country is not progressing because people there are just too silly and completely ignorant.
Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by Jiouras(m): 4:29pm On Nov 16, 2015
Promhize:
It's not a shame, it's not hypocritical and it's not slavery either.

Ciara or some American musician made a song about terrorism and Boko-Haram, how may Nigerian/African artist has done that.

Only Ice prince and M.I did in Nigeria
Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by Nobody: 4:29pm On Nov 16, 2015
Rubbish thread.

1 Like

Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by Nobody: 4:32pm On Nov 16, 2015
playahata:
The question is how much premium did Remo and his former boss place on Nigerian lives?!!
And the question u should be asked is how premium is buhari and his APC gang placing on the lives of Nigerians?
Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by Touchey: 4:34pm On Nov 16, 2015
I do what I like
Stop telling me what to do
Re: Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri by sweatlana: 4:35pm On Nov 16, 2015
The black man has slavish mentality if not how many times have u seen French people use the nigerian flag when boko haram strikes?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Fulani Herdsmen Kill Villagers In Taraba! / Governor Oyetola Names Amitolu Shittu, Richard Tinubu Heads Of Amotekun, BOSS / Akpabio Wins Senatorial Race, APC Calls For Cancellation Of Polls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.