Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,880 members, 7,802,845 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings (25110 Views)

11 Factors That Can Destroy Male Fertility / Hospital Seeks The Public's Help In Identifying An Accident Victim (graphic Pics / 6 Diseases That Could Embarrass You In The Public (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by Nobody: 9:06am On Nov 18, 2015
Nurse wey go give injection, the thing go form abscess.
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by IamOpemipo(m): 9:06am On Nov 18, 2015
ChappyChase:
Proudly #NursePikin!!
My mom is a nurse, my younger sister is a Nurse...
*Guys you know what that means?*
Injection flows freely in my house!!!!!

I pirry ya bumbum grin
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by PLANETMARS(m): 9:07am On Nov 18, 2015
ChappyChase:

Seun, Na you release me wey mumu from solitary confinement?
its a joke man no need for insults

1 Like

Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by pet4ril(f): 9:08am On Nov 18, 2015
What a world /government
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by Onegai(f): 9:10am On Nov 18, 2015
heykims:

i understand ur point ma'am and Im pretty sure that nurses ain't d only clinical staff with shortage manpower in d hospital as Im pretty sure it would be even worse for doctors. I still believe nurses' imput to health in term of work hours is much less compared to their counterparts in d health sector. I was even amazed when I heard few weeks back that intern medical lab scientists are now to be placed on CONHESS 10, an upgrade from the 9 they occupied before.
Moreso, Im pretty sure there's also a body that would have also calculated and scrutinized the relativity of each cadre of health professionals in terms of work hours and impact on general health outcome before coming out with the salary scale..

I have to disagree with you. I have a lot of doctors (mostly consultants) in my family and I used to hold nurses in contempt. But when I travelled outside the country to give birth, do you know whom attended to me 80% of the time: NURSES. The OB showed up at the last minute to deliver the baby but the nurses did all the work. AND THAT IS STANDARD PROCEDURE FOR ALL NORMAL BIRTHS.

Nurses may spend fewer hours in the hospital but they do most of the work. There's a reason they're paid well outside the country.
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by ChappyChase: 9:12am On Nov 18, 2015
IamOpemipo:

I pirry ya bumbum grin
Broda da lord has been my strength..
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by ChappyChase: 9:12am On Nov 18, 2015
PLANETMARS:
its a joke man no need for insults
And you think its funny?
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by angiography(m): 9:15am On Nov 18, 2015
LadyFiona:
Your last paragraph is the major factor entirely. Once the internship commence every other thing will fall in line.
The number of working hours for nurses when calculated after every month is still the stipulated government hours. Forinstance , a clinical staff is expected to work from 8-4 hours, multiply it by 21 working days will equal to...8×21=168 hours.

Then nurses often have a week of night duty per month ,8-8... 12 hours shift. which is 12 × 7= 84
Day duty of fourteen days interspersed into morning and afternoon shift of 6 hours with off duty in between ,:
6× 14= 84, totalling 168 hours.
I do not see the reason why it should be argued that nurses work less, they have their duties configured to suit an all-round coverage of the institution and reduce burn out rate. There are nurses that are also on call which is outside of this 168 working hours and they get paid for it.

I won't comment about doctors because they also have their duty scheduled to suit the needs of the hospital irrespective of how low manpower is.
I'm awed by ur remark. #intelligent
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by Onegai(f): 9:16am On Nov 18, 2015
twoondei:
Quick notes.
1. I agree nurses are short staffed esp in govt hospitals.
2. I disagree on the exclusion of nurses from decision making. These days, nurses even make recommendations and insist on certain requests even in teaching hospitals. They are fully carried along, all the way.
3. I agree that doctors train quack nurses, and this is very wrong.

Worthy of note also is the role nurses play in community healthcare. Theyre usually the alpha and omega on their streets and dont know when to refer patients.

A lot of hospitals are even owned and run by nurses, my uncle is a nurse and he runs a very popular facility in town.

Overall, we need a total overhaul of the system.

I've heard of a few private health centres run by nurses too and I'm not crazy a boy that idea. But they are usually in low-income areas which govt has not done a good job in providing basic primary healthcare.

The cure is to insist every govt official, from clerk to president, use Nigeria's healthcarr facilities.

1 Like

Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by PLANETMARS(m): 9:16am On Nov 18, 2015
ChappyChase:
And you think its funny?
oya make we begin insult u b goat
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by PLANETMARS(m): 9:16am On Nov 18, 2015
ChappyChase:
And you think its funny?
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by HaneefahRN(f): 9:18am On Nov 18, 2015
What can I say, but wonderful and insightful write up. U've said it all.
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by PLANETMARS(m): 9:18am On Nov 18, 2015
ChappyChase:
And you think its funny?
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by IamOpemipo(m): 9:24am On Nov 18, 2015
What's the beef about nurses 7days off..
Y'all be sleeping @ ya home @ nite while I stay wide awake for 12 straight hours for 7days. This doesn't even appply to all nurses especially those on call, shout out to d renal,icu and peri nurses on this one..

We nurses work our ass off and should be renumerated accordingly..

1 Like

Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by IamOpemipo(m): 9:24am On Nov 18, 2015
ChappyChase:

Broda da lord has been my strength..

grin
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by peeparty(m): 9:25am On Nov 18, 2015
kennygee:
Nursing is very big abroad.
Yea so true.even teacher's too
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by Nobody: 9:35am On Nov 18, 2015
Nurses need to change their attitude though.

The worst behaved people can be found in the nursing profession. Unfortunately, the younger ones in Nursing schools are trained to thread that part.
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by gretblue: 9:37am On Nov 18, 2015
Nursing quackery could easily be traced to activities of some Drs who open various school of unregistered Nursing schools in their hospitals domain.
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by heykims(m): 9:41am On Nov 18, 2015
Onegai:

I have to disagree with you. I have a lot of doctors (mostly consultants) in my family and I used to hold nurses in contempt. But when I travelled outside the country to give birth, do you know whom attended to me 80% of the time: NURSES. The OB showed up at the last minute to deliver the baby but the nurses did all the work. AND THAT IS STANDARD PROCEDURE FOR ALL NORMAL BIRTHS.

Nurses may spend fewer hours in the hospital but they do most of the work. There's a reason they're paid well outside the country.
I never said nurses don't contribute much in d hospital nd its actually d norm too in most hospitals in Nigeria for nurses to take charge of deliveries, then doctors come in when any complication emerges...
Besides, saying nurses do most of d work in d hospitals is outright wrong nd i wonder u only based ur conclusion on d labour wards or Obstetrics and not other departments in d hospital. Even in d labour ward, nurses are stationed to a particular unit eg labour ward, postnatal ward, gynae, antenatal clinic, postnatal clinic, theatre etc. The doctors operate all this units going to and fro depending on d strength of workpower..

And yes, nurses are appreciated more outside d country but this applies to virtually all health professionals as doctors are even much more appreciated...
Healthcare delivery is a teamwork, and one cadre isn't inferior to d other...

1 Like

Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by GuyFawkes: 10:17am On Nov 18, 2015
Nurses get to their Cadre bar at Chief Matron GL 14, which applied to when nurses mostly went to nursing and midwifery school. Many n nurses in public service now possess BSc Nursing hence the relevant bodies need to address that issue els they'll retire at level 14 also.
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by Nobody: 10:39am On Nov 18, 2015
heykims:
Nice piece I must commend. Sincerely I see it as outrightly unjust for graduate nurses to be exempted from internship whereas other graduates from clinical line are all incorporated.
I however got to know that one of the stumbling block to achieve this are some nurses themselves especially those who weren't privileged to pass through the university but school of nursing. They probably won't have anything to gain from development.
However, I personally consider any degree that can be obtained by part-time arrangement as weak and this is one of weakness I see in d BNSC degree...
As for the renumeration, well i believe nurses are paid lower compared to their clinical colleagues maybe because their work time is less. It still amazes me the off days in d program of nurses. Something like u do day shift for maybe one week, then one day off work, after a month or so of night shift, u take a one-week off work. And this still doesn't affect d annual leave at work...
As for d quackery, sincerely, d doctors are d majorly to be blamed as they train d auxiliary nurses. Nurses are guilt of this act though coz i know many male nurses that pose as doctors outside the hospital walls...

I appreciate your contribution, but i must point out something. Nurses don't work fewer hours. If you calculate the workload, it virtually the same with any other health worker. An average worker in Nigeria works for 8 hours a day or 40hrs a week. A nurse doing shifts works 6hrs a day or 30hr a week. Leaving a deficit of 10hrs. The following week, he/she would be doing night shifts for 4 days. Night shifts run for 12-14hrs at a stretch 6pm to 6am or 8am. That is 48-56hrs a week, which compensates for the deficit of the previous week. That is in an ideal work condition.

Sometimes, you could be in a community where the patient turn out is low. The nurses there make their own arrangements. 2 0r 3 people are left on duty for a week. They reside inside the health center, and will be on duty throughout the week, its a 24/7 shift. Then you take the next week off. The working hours a month is well balanced.

Similar arrangement is made for nurses who are pursuing higher education. Some hospitals place them on permanent night duty. 1 week night 1 week off.
It us erroneous to say that nurses work fewer hours, their schedule is just different.

Again, the part time nursing degree is only meant for those who are already registered nurses. They are nurses looking to acquire more knowledge. Hence the degree is not substandard in anyway.
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by heykims(m): 10:47am On Nov 18, 2015
dicefrost:

I appreciate your contribution, but i must point out something. Nurses don't work fewer hours. If you calculate the workload, it virtually the same with any other health worker. An average worker in Nigeria works for 8 hours a day or 40hrs a week. A nurse doing shifts works 6hrs a day or 30hr a week. Leaving a deficit of 10hrs. The following week, he/she would be doing night shifts for 4 days. Night shifts run for 12-14hrs at a stretch 6pm to 6am or 8am. That is 48-56hrs a week, which compensates for the deficit of the previous week. That is in an ideal work condition.

Sometimes, you could be in a community where the patient turn out is low. The nurses there make their own arrangements. 2 0r 3 people are left on duty for a week. They reside inside the health center, and will be on duty throughout the week, its a 24/7 shift. Then you take the next week off. The working hours a month is well balanced.

Similar arrangement is made for nurses who are pursuing higher education. Some hospitals place them on permanent night duty. 1 week night 1 week off.
It us erroneous to say that nurses work fewer hours, their schedule is just different.
Alright thanks
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by Nobody: 11:57am On Nov 18, 2015
Rubbish there is no place of internship in nursing. 5 years of nursing BSc is useless, when people do it for 3 years in the UK or other African countries. Most of those 5 years are spent on the ward. Internship is only ask for to collect money.
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by Nobody: 1:13pm On Nov 18, 2015
I respect thepeople who went to schools of nusing, you are taught how to be a nurse in theory and practice, not those univeristy nurses who just go and get certificates, they can't even put drip or dress a wound.
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by donodion(m): 1:41pm On Nov 18, 2015
LadyFiona:
The renumeration has to do with the amount and level of education acquired, skills needed at the job and the use of scheme of service of nurses and midwives not the number of hours.
The work hours has been calculated, scrutinized and audited by the relevant bodies. It all boils down to the schedule of duty, number of nurses available, and the nurse patients ratio in Nigerian health system. A ratio of 2 nurses to 20 patients if maintained for 8 official duty hours will increase burn out rate in nurses and nobody wants that. So, nurses had to be exposed to as many patients as possible in less duration of 6 hours max and 12 hours for night duty.

I e been trying to find something out...besides NMCN, does the Nigerian. Nurses have an indemnity organization? E.g in SA, besides SANC, there is DENOSA ( www.denosa.org.za) This indemnity body is at the forefront in defense to rights and conditions of services of nursing personnel's.

Now In the beautiful and well outlined writeup, its a pointer that the nursing and midwife council is outright in deep slumber couples with the fact that Ministry of Health in line with their constitutioline objectives and expectations is failing abysmally.

Also I'm the case of internship, in developed countries, trainees from colleges from year 1 are introduced and allocated to ethical and professional clinical practises. Meaning for e.g Auxiliaries nurses have specified scope of practise and are thus allocated to various private and government hospitals for clinical skills development ( NB under supervision of Professional Nurses) thereby combining theoretical knowledge and clinical exposure. Same goes with year two till their finals as RNs. Isn't this the practise with Nigeria nursing colleges besides Universities undertaking such programs?

* pls do not mind some spellings..I'm still trying to get use to this tablet of a thing.*

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by Sunnybobo3(m): 1:45pm On Nov 18, 2015
LadyFiona:
The renumeration has to do with the amount and level of education acquired, skills needed at the job and the use of scheme of service of nurses and midwives not the number of hours.
The work hours has been calculated, scrutinized and audited by the relevant bodies. It all boils down to the schedule of duty, number of nurses available, and the nurse patients ratio in Nigerian health system. A ratio of 2 nurses to 20 patients if maintained for 8 official duty hours will increase burn out rate in nurses and nobody wants that. So, nurses had to be exposed to as many patients as possible in less duration of 6 hours max and 12 hours for night duty.

In the UK, most nurses working in inpatient areas ie wards do a 12.5 hrs shift be it Long days or nights.
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by angiography(m): 1:54pm On Nov 18, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

In the UK, most nurses working in inpatient areas ie wards do a 12.5 hrs shift be it Long days or nights.
Lol...no matter how much...it can't exceed 48hrs per week. So?
Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by Yahami(m): 2:08pm On Nov 18, 2015
omogin:
CMDs of most public hospitals prevent most of the funds from the ministry of health from being used for what they were appropriated for. The Nurses can have viable associations that can demand what is due them from the system.

Is a nice suggestion, until medical doctors were been ban from holding post of CMD they'll continue sabotage Nurses for their Right. even at the Federal Executive council the Nurses were been sabotage by Buhari lead administration if not how can the Minister of Health be Medical Doctor, Minister of health for state a Medical Doctor and Permanent Secretary to Federal Ministry of health a medical Doctor please my elite in the house tell me how'll the Nurses be recognise in decision making in our health care system, how can we get rid of quakery in Nursing profession while Doctors continue their evil in our health care system and will be protected by the so call minister. If u all believe me that the role of Nursing profession can not be over emphasis in health care system as thus the federal government should carry them along in policy making of the health care system if not, we'll continue battling with all this menance situation in our country.... Let this son's and filter of this country start the campaign against those useless Doctors who engaged in training fake Nurses and Never training Fake Doctors

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Factors Affecting Nursing Practice In The Public Settings by Sunnybobo3(m): 2:11pm On Nov 18, 2015
angiography:

Lol...no matter how much...it can't exceed 48hrs per week. So?

You can exceed 48 hours a week if you sign the opt out form.

I know nurses who do 6 x 12.5hrs shifts every week ie 75hrs a week.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Doctors Relocating To Sierra Leone, Gambia To Earn $4,000 Wages, CMDs / Drunk Naval Officer Shoots 3 People In Lagos / 6 Surprising Signs Your Eyes Reveals About Your Health

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.