Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,838 members, 7,802,686 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:51 PM

Should He Leave His Current Job? Help - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should He Leave His Current Job? Help (14795 Views)

Soldier Wins Over 50million Naira In Betnaija. Will He Leave The Military Or Not / Pls Help Me.should I Drop My Current Job? / In Need Of My Employer's Help That, If Done, Will See Me Leave His Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by 4nobody4every1: 6:31pm On Nov 19, 2015
Phd holder earning 80k, which way naija

2 Likes

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by shilexholly(m): 6:31pm On Nov 19, 2015
Oga think am well o......if ur new job has job protection.... U are welkom to lasgidi den where hold up is a normal tin......
Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by queencyboutik: 6:32pm On Nov 19, 2015
relocate to lagos leave your family there visit them every weekend and public holidays
trust me he will enjoy lashidi cheesy

ladies what are you waiting for upgrade your style today kiss

https://instagram.com/queency_couture/
Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by komek(m): 6:33pm On Nov 19, 2015
See these idio.,,ts above me booking space without meaningful contributions and the stvpid moderator could not do any thing.

@Op, where in Lagos are u gonna stay and where is the location of the office.

The 50k increment is not enof compare to what u will come to meet in Lagos.

Yes, Lagos is full of opportunities but so many pple are after the opportunities too, so it becomes more competitive.

What is the future of this ur present coy,

You don't need to threaten ur boss, just meet him and tell him about salary increment and hear his response...

Good luck to u.

5 Likes

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Otsealu1(f): 6:33pm On Nov 19, 2015
I doubt if strengthening his boss will make any difference because we are in Naija those things are not all that possible. My advice is that he should go check out the environment and see how expensive house rent is there or if possible look for an area where rent is not that expensive that is close to his work place and move his family along. If not he should just stay where he is.
Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by twosquare(m): 6:34pm On Nov 19, 2015
Stay in IB... Even the 50k difference will be spent on t-fare, not yet covering accommodation.. You will be the one losing financially, emotionally (marital issues), accommodation wise.

3 Likes

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Trapnews: 6:35pm On Nov 19, 2015
Same feeling! grin

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by ksstroud: 6:35pm On Nov 19, 2015
Tis all about job satisfaction....
Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Nobody: 6:36pm On Nov 19, 2015
A monthly salary of 130k in Lagos is nothing. I'll rather advice him to stick to his current job but write a letter to his boss, telling him why he should increase his salary. He can do this by telling him how useful and resourceful he is to the company. He should not threaten him.

Life in Lagos is a No for me, even for a 200k monthly pay

80k for that kind of qualification? What the hell is wrong with this country?

5 Likes

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Tonel09(m): 6:37pm On Nov 19, 2015
Expenses in Lagos is too much.... Better stay in ibadan

1 Like

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Ilaje44(m): 6:37pm On Nov 19, 2015
olafunny:
Hi nairalanders,

A brother, who is currently working with a company in ibadan and also stays in ibadan, has got himself in a condition which he needs nairalanders to be of help.

The issue is;

where he's working nw, he's been paid something above 80k sha which is obviously not the worth of the job and his kind of person cuz he has his ph.D. But because of the situation in the country, he decided to stick to the job till he gets another one.
His hustle paid off last week friday when he got another job in Lagos and the pay is above 130k with other monthly allowances. According to him, he loves his current job as it's less stressful and makes him closer to his family. He considers Lagos as a place that is very stressful and will probably cause him to relocate. But the pay is higher.

Now, he's thinking of threatening his current boss with his new job nd pay, maybe the boss might increase his salary and beg him to stay. He is staying with his younger brother in one of the houses his father built before he died. So he doesnt pay house rent with his salary. All that will change when he get to Lagos.

What he wants Nairalanders to do for him is to advice him whether;

-to go for the new job since the pay is high and try to get used to Lagos situation and since he is a ph.D holder, he might higher opportunities from there.

-to stay and continue with his current job since his expenditures are far low.

-to threaten his boss to increase his salary. What if the boss dismisses him? He might end up being in where his mind doesn't.

Thanks in advance.

Threatening his boss for pay rise would be a very foolish thing. If I were the boss, I would simply call his bluff, and if he does not go, I would see to it that his disloyal ass is kicked.

Before he decide to take up the 130k job in Lagos, I hope he does his due diligence, and take into consideration that the cost of living in Lagos is considerably higher than that of Ibadan.

1 Like

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by danduchi(m): 6:38pm On Nov 19, 2015
50k difference in salary plus allowance...that's above 600k per annum plus bonuses... Why are I advising sef, no be him apply for the job for lag... Shey he kw no abt the stress. The dude don decide since sef
Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Nobody: 6:38pm On Nov 19, 2015
hmm
Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Abiagirl777(f): 6:39pm On Nov 19, 2015
That guy needs this

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by profeoo(m): 6:39pm On Nov 19, 2015
130k? PhD?
God what is happening to this country

....dis one no follow for promo at all!!!!
Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by confun: 6:40pm On Nov 19, 2015
Bro, don't try it, u beta stay in ib, lasgidi get wahala plenty o, except u get a job of at least 600k per month, don't come to lag abeg, u go huzzle tire o, traffic everywhere, tension everywhere, Abeg, stay with ur 80k and keep praying for better tinz...my little advise...

4 Likes

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Kx: 6:40pm On Nov 19, 2015
Pay a strong reason but should not be the deciding factor to change jobs.
In your case, the amount of the offer does not justify the consideration of leaving your current job and location.

Advice to youth: be decided on your career path with your first degree and professional certifications before bagging additional degrees.
Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Nobody: 6:40pm On Nov 19, 2015
damton:
Quite frankly it's a very hard choice to make.

But In my own opinion, he should be where there is prospect for career growth while working, because if he leaves in the hopes of changing jobs , he'll be disappointed should it fails to happen. The job market in itself is extremely saturated.

Summarily, he alone understand the nature of his options and the potential for growth and development they offer, which I believe should guide his decision.

However, I don't agree with the idea of threatening your boss for pay increments. if you think you deserve more, you can place your request to him and make him understand .it is either he agrees or disagree.

Again, I believe career growth and development is key

I wonder what every other person posted after seeing this post ? quite frankly I don't think there's another post needed cos this all the op needs
Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by vicuze(m): 6:40pm On Nov 19, 2015
He should think about his rent, transport fair,Lagos traffic and other expenditures he would be facing in Lagos before he decides to take the offer.He should also consider how much he'd be able to save after all these expenses and check if 130k would sustain him.
Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by CHANCEMAN: 6:41pm On Nov 19, 2015
englishmart:
you love your job because it keeps you closer to your family, and. It's stress free right? Has your closeness to your family increased your earnings?
I believe with your PhD, you wouldn't be assigned to do any much of a stressful job. Relocate your family and become the big boy God has destined you to be

Does having a PHD make u a big boy? U know how many PHD holders are on Dangote's payroll.130k in Lagos is nothing compared to 80k in a smaller city like Ibadan. The only reason I will advise him to even consider the Lagos job offer is the prospects attached and the opportunity of being in a bigger market. Rent and transport expenses can wipe of the difference in salary, not to talk of the stress of living in Lagos.
Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by mradjoy(m): 6:42pm On Nov 19, 2015
You have been praying to God for a change, now d change has come you're still contemplating whether to go with d change or remain unchanged. Bro. you're a PhD holder for Christ's sake, common get out of that disillusioned comfort and embrace the true disguised Comfort!

1 Like

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by yyeanqah(m): 6:42pm On Nov 19, 2015
Endtime
Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Nobody: 6:43pm On Nov 19, 2015
Phd holder still seeking advice from an online forum hijacked by teens,what a shame.If you can't make decisions yourself,I wonder how you got your Phd.So pathetic.Don't worry,I'll ask my little girl to advise you.

1 Like

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by abimbawealth(f): 6:43pm On Nov 19, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Nelrulez(m): 6:44pm On Nov 19, 2015
olafunny:
Hi nairalanders,

A brother, who is currently working with a company in ibadan and also stays in ibadan, has got himself in a condition which he needs nairalanders to be of help.

The issue is;

where he's working nw, he's been paid something above 80k sha which is obviously not the worth of the job and his kind of person cuz he has his ph.D. But because of the situation in the country, he decided to stick to the job till he gets another one.
His hustle paid off last week friday when he got another job in Lagos and the pay is above 130k with other monthly allowances. According to him, he loves his current job as it's less stressful and makes him closer to his family. He considers Lagos as a place that is very stressful and will probably cause him to relocate. But the pay is higher.

Now, he's thinking of threatening his current boss with his new job nd pay, maybe the boss might increase his salary and beg him to stay. He is staying with his younger brother in one of the houses his father built before he died. So he doesnt pay house rent with his salary. All that will change when he get to Lagos.

-to go for the new job since the pay is high and try to get used to Lagos situation and since he is a ph.D holder, he might higher opportunities from there.

-to threaten his boss to increase his salary. What if the boss dismisses him? He might end up being in where his mind doesn't.

Thanks in advance.

Personally I think 80k in Ibadan is better than 180k in Lagos but considering the academic qualification of the man, I have to be sincere that he's bin short paid. He shouldn't be scared of facing challenges in life. Let him talk to his boss for a raise and if the man is not ready to do anything, let him go for the other option. From there, better opportunities will come his way. He shouldn't relocate with the family immediately. Let him take his time to study his new environment and find his footing before bringing in responsibilities.
Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Lincoln275(m): 6:45pm On Nov 19, 2015
brother, 50k job in ibadan is like 250k job in lagos , think very well before u decide on dz

2 Likes

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 19, 2015
80k for a Phd holder? Hmm.
Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by yorke1: 6:46pm On Nov 19, 2015
commitcrime:
U don't need advice from NLders Bros.
Go and ask Ifa or fortune tellers

PhD means nothing to nigerian employers nowadays.

My take. 80k in ib is more than 150k in lagos

#Good bye

You said it all!

1 Like

Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by MRLINGTON(m): 6:48pm On Nov 19, 2015
englishmart:
you love your job because it keeps you closer to your family, and. It's stress free right? Has your closeness to your family increased your earnings?
I believe with your PhD, you wouldn't be assigned to do any much of a stressful job. Relocate your family and become the big boy God has destined you to be

may ur days be loooooonnnnnnggggg
Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by busyfishing(m): 6:48pm On Nov 19, 2015
as you ask us..na who we go ask
Re: Should He Leave His Current Job? Help by F22RAPTOR(m): 6:49pm On Nov 19, 2015
olafunny:
Hi nairalanders,

The issue is;

Thanks in advance.

the grass is not always greener on the other side. Lagos is a whole new ball game, if u are not familiar with the terrain, the expenses are extra and the stress are out of this world. The job considering how much you said it is, is not worth it at all. You may open another thread in some months time. Bye

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Path Should I Take? I Am Confused! / BBC Appoints Two Nigerians As Heads Of Language Service For East And West Africa / Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.