Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:56 AM

Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! (23218 Views)

Igbos Abandoned Philip Effiong Who Died A Biafra Rebel, Ojukwu Rewarded - Ekefre / Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Ipob Replies Obong Attah : You Are Clueless,remember Philip Effiong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by lalasticlala(m): 10:18am On Nov 18, 2015
Philip Effiong Turns 90 Today!

Philip Efiong (also spelled Effiong, 18 November 1925 – 6 November 2003) was the first Vice President and the second President of the now defunct Republic of Biafra during the Nigerian Civil War of 1967 to 1970.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Effiong

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by Armaggedon: 10:19am On Nov 18, 2015
Hbd hero

The zoo must fall!

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by INTROVERT(f): 10:20am On Nov 18, 2015

this is coming when the BIAFRA agitation is reaching a crescendo.....

6 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by speedyGonzales: 10:23am On Nov 18, 2015
well, handsome dude! die well!
Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by ishiamu(m): 10:23am On Nov 18, 2015
Who is he? Cos we don't know him here in russia
Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by StOla: 10:28am On Nov 18, 2015
The man who did not run away.

He did what was obvious to every sensible observer - when the war has been won and lost, the vanquished surrender unconditionally.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by Nobody: 10:28am On Nov 18, 2015
I salute General Philip Effiong who was the last president of Biafra. This man stood and faced the armed Nigerian soldiers to hand over the surrender letter. God bless the great General Philip Effiong.

I love the Efik/Ibibio which is why I am celebrating them on my nl profile.

I am not agitating for Biafra or calling for war but if Nigeria breaks tomorrow, the Igbos look forward to having very cordial relationship with our Efik/Ibibio brothere. These guys are the most reliable group of people in the Niger Delta.

God bless the Efik/Ibibio.

@Pazienza, please channel your energy to building an even stronger bond between us and the Efik/Ibibio.

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by GspotAngela(f): 10:33am On Nov 18, 2015
Philip Effiong is the real civil war hero on the biafran side. He didnt run away, he stood his ground and surrendered because he knew the odds were stacked against the biafrans.

However, ojukwu, the initatior of the war, who once boasted that he would fight till the last drop of his blood, eventually ran away to Abidjan after commandeering a plane that was meant to airlift sick biafran children.

Alhaji Shehu Shagari later granted ojukwu amnesty in 1982. In 1983, ojukwu contested in the Senatorial election, he also contested in the 2003 & 2007 presidential elections and he lost woefully on all occasions.

It is highly preposterous that a man who fought against Nigeria, later came back to Nigeria and participated at various elections in the same country that he fought against.

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by seunmsg(m): 10:33am On Nov 18, 2015
A real war hero, unlike the coward that ran away in the middle of a war that he started.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 18, 2015
StOla:

He did what was obvious to every sensible observer - when the war has been won and lost, the vanquished surrender unconditionally.

The Biafran side was vanquished by Britain & USSR...

7 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by devilishM: 10:42am On Nov 18, 2015
A True Biafra Hero, unlike the coward that ran away in the middle of the night. Rest well Sir.

24 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by laudate: 10:43am On Nov 18, 2015
lalasticlala:
Philip Effiong Turns 90 Today!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Effiong

Obong (Major-General) Phillip Asuquo Effiong, Akangkang Ibiono Ibom may you continue to rest in peace, in the bosom of the Most High God. You were an uncommon soldier, a man of principle whose humanity was not in doubt. sad

A man of courage, compassion and integrity who did the best he could, to end the carnage of the civil war, and save further lives from being lost at a time when it mattered most. You took a step many could not have taken - a step that some thought was unpopular, but necessary. Your courage will always be remembered. For this reason, many of us remain thankful, and will always be. We remember you with gratitude. We remember you with warmth. We remember you with love. You will always live on in our hearts. cry

DO NOT STAND AT MY GRAVE AND WEEP | by Mary Elizabeth Frye

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.....

Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there; I did not die

6 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by GspotAngela(f): 10:46am On Nov 18, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

The Biafran side was vanquished by Britain & USSR...
The Biafrans were vanquished by the 1Div, 2Div & 3MCDO of the Nigerian army. Operation Pincer2 was the final nail on the biafran coffin

20 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by Coolabbie: 10:46am On Nov 18, 2015
StOla:

We Ibibios don't run away, it has never been in our gene unlike some.

@Post, Happy birthday Sir.
Even though they left everything for you, You used wisdom to come out victorious.
You surrendered to one Nigeria and we your descendants shall remain in that Nigeria.

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by yhemsy62(m): 10:47am On Nov 18, 2015
Hbd
Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by Nobody: 10:50am On Nov 18, 2015
GspotAngela:
The Biafrans were vanquished by the 1Div, 2Div & 3MCDO of the Nigerian army. Operation Pincer 2 was the final nail on the biafran coffin

3MCDO that lost one-third of the squad before starting operation OAU that it was formed for?

Britain & USSR supplied the heavy armoured vehicles and artillery guns they used which Biafra lacked.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by GspotAngela(f): 11:03am On Nov 18, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

3MCDO that lost one-third of the squad before starting operation OAU that it was formed for?

Britain & USSR supplied the heavy armoured vehicles and artillery guns they used which Biafra lacked.
3MCDO suffered minimal casualty before Operation OAU(Owerri, Aba, Umuahia). It was a mission hinged on Adekunle's over bloated ego after the spectular success his division recorded in chasing the biafran occupiers away from the Niger Delta areas. It was not part of the 3MCDO's initial battle plan. Adekunle ordered the Operation as an October 1st 1968 independence gift to General Gowon

Britain and USSR supported Nigeria, so also did France, Portugal, South Africa, Haiti, Zambia, Gabon, Tanzania, Ivory Coast support Biafra

14 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by kingzizzy: 11:03am On Nov 18, 2015
I recommend that everyone should read Philip Effiongs "Biafra: My story". Philip Effiong was an admirable man. He stood by his boss through thick and thin. It should be noted that had Ojukwu stayed back at the end of the war, he would have been caught and killed for nothing but the Nigerian authorities had no beef with Philip Effiong. It should be noted that Philip Effiong joined the Nigerian Army in Enugu in 1945.

I'm happy that when he died, Biafrans went to Ibinio Obong to give him an unforgettable burial.

13 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by gab264(m): 11:08am On Nov 18, 2015
Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by Nobody: 11:09am On Nov 18, 2015
GspotAngela:
3MCDO suffered minimal casualty before Operation OAU(Owerri, Aba, Umuahia). It was a mission hinged on Adekunle's over bloated ego after the spectular success his division recorded in chasing the biafran occupiers away from the Niger Delta areas.

Britain and USSR supported Nigeria, so also did France, Portugal, South Africa, Haiti, Zambia, Gabon, Ivory Coast support Biafra

The question is what type of support did those guys give to Biafra because the standard gun for the Biafran soldier was the bolt action riffle. BIafra did not have heavy mobile armour or heavy artllery so where was the support? USSR alone gave Nigeria the 120 mm artillery gun as at that time which was about the biggest of that time.

Biafran soldiers were rationing bullets like food at some point for their bolt action riffles so what type of support did we get from those guys really?

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by Nobody: 11:13am On Nov 18, 2015
kingzizzy:
I recommend that everyone should read Philip Effiongs "Biafra: My story". Philip Effiong was an admirable man. He stood by his boss through thick and thin. It should be noted that had Ojukwu stayed back at the end of the war, he would have been caught and killed for nothing but the Nigerian authorities had no beef with Philip Effiong. It should be noted that Philip Effiong joined the Nigerian Army in Enugu in 1945.

I'm happy that when he died, Biafrans went to Ibinio Obong to give him an unforgettable burial.

It is only a foolish General that will allow himself to be captured when there is room for escape. ojukwu did the right thing by escaping capture because he would have been humiliated and killed.

The rule for Generals is to escape capture if you can but where this is not possible, you either commit suicide or die taking your bullets on the chest and not your back.

5 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by GspotAngela(f): 11:14am On Nov 18, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

The question is what type of support did those guys give to Biafra because the standard gun for the Biafran soldier was the bolt action riffle. BIafra did not have heavy mobile armour or heavy artllery so where was the support? USSR alone gave Nigeria the 120 mm artillery gun as at that time which was about the biggest of that time.

Biafran soldiers were rationing bullets like food at some point for their bolt action riffles so what type of support did we get from those guys really?
So whose fault was it ? Ojukwu couldnt equip his army properly, he couldnt feed his civilians adequately and he was boasting before the commencement of hostilities that he has the largest army in black africa and that the other side(Nigeria) would be shocked as to what they would get from him.

16 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by Nobody: 11:16am On Nov 18, 2015
Lalasticlala, this should move to front page.
Let us celebrate this great man.
Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by laudate: 11:16am On Nov 18, 2015
kingzizzy:

Okay, so Ojukwu was afraid of death and that was why he ran away?? shocked Why did Ojukwu abscond after sending so many to give their lives for the Biafran cause, on the battlefield??

EUROBOMBER:
It is only a foolish General that will allow himself to be captured when there is room for escape. ojukwu did the right thing by escaping capture because he would have been humiliated and killed.

The rule for Generals is to escape capture if you can but where this is not possible, you either commit suicide or die taking your bullets on the chest and not your back.

Taa! angry Ojukwu absconded, abandoned his people and ran away. When he returned, he got his father's properties back but did not even bother to put pressure on govt to enable his people who had lost their assets in old Rivers state under the abandoned property saga, get their own properties returned to them.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by ruggedboy01: 11:19am On Nov 18, 2015
[b]Land of rising sun, we love and cherish,
Beloved homeland of our brave heroes;
We must defend our lives or we shall perish,
We shall protect our hearts from all our foes;
But if the price is death for all we hold dear,
Then let us die without a shred of fear.

Hail to Biafra, consecrated nation,
O fatherland, this be our solemn pledge:
Defending thee shall be a dedication,
Spilling our blood we’ll count a privilege;
The waving standard which emboldens the free
Shall always be our flag of liberty.

We shall emerge triumphant from this ordeal,
And through the crucible unscathed we’ll pass;
When we are poised the wounds of battle to heal,
We shall remember those who died in mass;
Then shall our trumpets peal the glorious song
Of victory we scored o’er might and wrong.

Oh God, protect us from the hidden pitfall,
Guide all our movements lest we go astray;
Give us the strength to heed the humanist call:
To give and not to count the cost’ each day;
Bless those who rule to serve with resoluteness,
To make this clime a land of righteousness.[/b]

17 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by IGBOPRINCE: 11:23am On Nov 18, 2015
This is the man who surrendered to nigeria and he is from the present day southsouth..
After the greatest man ever liveth, ojukwu. The first president of biafra. This has shown us that the south south man was once a president of the defunct republic of biafra.

Se/ss should keep the flag of biafra flying.

8 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by brize(m): 11:26am On Nov 18, 2015
philip Effiong and Ojukwu did not die, they went to heaven

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by porshuch: 11:27am On Nov 18, 2015
I remembered the day my father told me the story about Biafra, when he ended the story, I looked into his eyes and told him that the war hero was Philip Effiong

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by Nobody: 11:28am On Nov 18, 2015
laudate:

Okay, so Ojukwu was afraid of death and that was why he ran away?? shocked Why did Ojukwu abscond after sending so many to give their lives for the Biafran cause, on the battlefield??

Taa! angry Ojukwu absconded, abandoned his people and ran away. When he returned, he got his father's properties back but did not even bother to put pressure on govt to enable his people who had lost their assets in old Rivers state under the abandoned property saga, get their own properties returned to them.

property saga is a discussion for another day but the truth is that only a foolsih General will allow himself to be captured or killed when there is room for escpae.

Ojukwu saw that he could escape to Abidjan and he used it.
Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by laudate: 11:32am On Nov 18, 2015
EUROBOMBER:
property saga is a discussion for another day but the truth is that only a foolsih General will allow himself to be captured or killed when there is room for escpae.

Ojukwu saw that he could escape to Abidjan and he used it.

Nah!! undecided Only a cowardly General escapes, abandoning his people to their fate. Effiong had more courage than Ojukwu. He could have been shot, after handing over the instruments of surrender. Afterall, he fought on the side of the rebels and he was part of the Biafran high command.

porshuch:
I remembered the day my father told me the story about Biafra, when he ended the story, I looked into his eyes and told him that the war hero was Philip Effiong

Hehehe.... cheesy

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by kingzizzy: 11:39am On Nov 18, 2015
laudate:

The people who fought for Biafra, the Biafran soldiers such as my father, they did not fight for Ojukwu. People like my father fought for their freedom and they were to prepared to die for it. Those men did not fight for Ojukwu. As for Ojukwu, only a stupid soldier will allow himself to be captured or killed for nothing in a hopeless situation. A soldier who survives today, survives to fight another day.

7 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by donphilopus: 11:43am On Nov 18, 2015
ishiamu:
Who is he? Cos we don't know him here in russia

Bros, so you don't even know the then Second-in-command and later President of what you're agitating for?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari Opens The National Economic Council Retreat Today (Photos) / "Suspension Not Enough", APC Asks Ikpeazu To Sack Chief Of Staff / More Pictures From APC Presidential Rally In Kogi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.