Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,893 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:51 PM

Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering (30941 Views)

How Much Does It Cost To Complete A Masters Degree In Nigerian Universities? / Ufot Ekong Receives His Master Degree In Electrical & Electronic Engineering / Nigerian Quadruplets Graduates Simultaneously with Masters Degree In UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by ASHTAROTH: 4:48pm On Nov 18, 2015
Hello fellow Nairalanders,

I need your advice on this issue. I am about to take a very important and life altering decision in my life, but I am kind of confused as to what to do. I am very sure, that we have mature people here, and I would definitely be given best of advice. This issue cuts across my entire life, please matured advice are kindly welcomed.

I am a guy in my early 20s (would be clocking 21 by December). I have a Diploma in Engineering, and I currently work with a company in Southwest Nigeria. I graduated as the best student of my Department, and that was in early 2012. I did my internship in one of the big names in Nigeria.

Ever since 2012 that I finished the first phase of my polytechnic education, I was unable to satisfactorily secure admission into the schools and course of my choice. Nonetheless I vowed never to settle for HND. Although My Dad pushed against my own will to apply for HND and I was admitted but I refused and turned the offer down. For the University admission application, it’s either I was given the course I have no interest in or not admitted at all. I applied through direct entry, UTME and several many others. One of the many trials even journeyed me to meet the Vice Chancellor of a State University in a supposed southwestern state. The Vice Chancellor questioned me, accusing me of probably cheating in CBT because I scored the highest (story for another day).

I kept on trying but, this year I made a resolution to have a taste/peep into another field. Although I have passion for engineering, but I fell in love with Medicine after I saw two American Television series (Grey’s Anatomy and Night Shift, please don’t think of me weird). I humbled myself and did another UTME exam. I did excellently well, and my performance in Post UTME was good, though below my set standard. I was pressed to change from Medicine and Surgery to Nursing when the admission officer told me of my slim chance of being admitted for MBBS (Indigeneship stuffs). Fortunately I was admitted for Nursing.

In my quest not to put my eggs in one basket I obtained another DE form. Using the DE application I picked two schools in southwestern states. But, I didn’t stop there; I applied as an unsolicited candidate to another school in one of the Northern States. Fortunately I was admitted for my long desired course in Engineering Field in the Northern University. Though I am still awaiting the two Southwestern Universities and the Northern University resumes in 3 months; I don’t want to give these all away. I want to make the best decision base on good career advice.

I have so prayed and it seems God is giving me a blank cheque to write on. At this point, I can't afford to make the wrong decision.

The issues I have now are:

1. The school that admitted me for Nursing has opened portal for Acceptance fee payment which closes in a week. Of which the tradition is if I couldn’t pay on or before the said deadline; my admission would be invalid. Of course this calls for professional and tactical deliberation and decision. Of which I am to accept the admission now (school resumes presumably January), I would be forced to quit my full time job, thus I won't be able to safe enough for my expenses of even 2 years in college.

2. I am so in love with the Northern University, I love the environ, the distance and of course the solitary of my personality I would enjoy (considering my personality), but we all know the security issue in the north though it’s not rampant in this particular state.

3. The living expenses in Nursing admitted school is on the high side. Looking at it my entire savings would be out in less than two years. Speaking of which my Dad is of no financial support since I disobeyed and turned him down. So I have myself to think about Feeding, Tution Fee, Hostel Fee, Hand outs, Internet data and Transportation. However, my savings would see me through four years of the Northern University.

4. BNsc is a 5-year course and ELectrical Engineering (DE) is a 4-year course, considering the age factor.

5. I am torn between my fantasy and passion, but I want to make the right and best decision. It’s a pity I would be forced to make decision this early despite the unpreparedness of the rest two schools to release DE admission lists.

I am sorry for the long write up. Please advice me from experience; career-wise and future-wise.

Thank you very much.

Ashtaroth 'Owo

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by talktonase(m): 5:01pm On Nov 18, 2015
U can run both together...

2 Likes

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by ASHTAROTH: 5:18pm On Nov 18, 2015
talktonase:
U can run both together...

Firstly, fund is a restraint and secondly the distance is far apart. Though nothing is impossible with readily available fund

5 Likes

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by ASHTAROTH: 6:42pm On Nov 18, 2015
Nairalanders kindly advice me.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by ASHTAROTH: 7:23pm On Nov 18, 2015
Richiez, Fynestboi, olawalebabs

Lalasticlala

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Nastydroid(m): 8:11pm On Nov 18, 2015
Go for what you have passion for.You only watched a tv show and you started loving the medical field the love might depreciate later. Just follow your mind

*walks out of thread*

16 Likes

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by baddyoosha: 8:38pm On Nov 18, 2015
TEXT NURSE/ELECT TO 33550 TO KNOW THE BEST DECISION TO MAKE IM SURE MTN GOT THE BEST .

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by mrlaw93(m): 8:39pm On Nov 18, 2015
I jst dnt knw wat to say..

undecided
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by FREEEMANAN(m): 8:39pm On Nov 18, 2015
Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by mrkels(m): 8:39pm On Nov 18, 2015
Why limit yourself?

Go for both of em!!!
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by blesseddivah(f): 8:39pm On Nov 18, 2015
Anything you find your interest in. Go for it

3 Likes

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by ibkgab001: 8:39pm On Nov 18, 2015
None of the above
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by queenstl(f): 8:39pm On Nov 18, 2015
Read More News -------->
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by aspirebig: 8:39pm On Nov 18, 2015
It depends on you.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by timilehin007(m): 8:39pm On Nov 18, 2015
degree in nursing vs degree in elect. eng..omo e no gel together at all. I hope you are not just using this topic to get attention?
degree in nursing ko, y not go for degree in cooking....
oshisko

3 Likes

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Cre8(m): 8:39pm On Nov 18, 2015
Follow your heart.

In need of a graphic designer? 
We are the brand you've been looking for. 

Check out our portfolio to view some of our works -https://www.nairaland.com/1841535/suptol-designs-portfolio

We love to hear from you.

2 Likes

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by kingstylo01(m): 8:39pm On Nov 18, 2015
Go for degree in blogging...

Thank me later

5 Likes

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by salaboiz(m): 8:40pm On Nov 18, 2015
Bros go for Nursing because if u go for electrical engineering, u will end up as a class teacher

23 Likes

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by cocoberry(f): 8:40pm On Nov 18, 2015
Mr Ashtaroth Owo, go with ur passion
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Nobody: 8:41pm On Nov 18, 2015
b

1 Like

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by onosprince(m): 8:41pm On Nov 18, 2015
Go for what you can afford.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by ademoladeji(m): 8:41pm On Nov 18, 2015
Nursing is a nice profession as well as Electrical Engineering.

One of the things to consider is your strength in area of mathematical calculation... When you start solving Lagrende principles, LaPlace transforms, Thevenin, etc, you might find yourself out if you're not strong enof.

There's money in Electrical Engineering much more than Nursing especially in Nigeria.

You're always gonna be No. 3 citizens after d Docs n Pharms....

I'll advice you to think of your strength, the opportunities n pray to God for Direction

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by ihatebuhari(f): 8:41pm On Nov 18, 2015
nursing its a very good course, most male nurse works at oil rigs in Niger Delta with good pay.

even here in London they are OK, for me I think nursing is better

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Optional2(f): 8:42pm On Nov 18, 2015
Ok
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Kangol99(m): 8:42pm On Nov 18, 2015
Choose the one that fits in to your Dream/Goal.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Nobody: 8:42pm On Nov 18, 2015
End time degree
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by yomalex(m): 8:43pm On Nov 18, 2015
Hmm
You are already in the engineering field from where you say you work so why not build on that. Engineering Northern University

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by corisande: 8:43pm On Nov 18, 2015
Your career has a path already! I'll say go for Engineering if the school is not in borno

or you stick with nursing. Both are good courses

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Nastydroid(m): 8:44pm On Nov 18, 2015
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by ab1x: 8:44pm On Nov 18, 2015
Go for nursing. You will not regret doing that.

4 Likes

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by PHATE007(f): 8:44pm On Nov 18, 2015
Hello nairalanders! Am a newbie... So what are d rules?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Cultism: Taraba State University Expels 8 Cultists, Students / Babangida Ahmad, BUK Student Slumps, Dies In Hostel (Photos) / Top 100 Universities In Nigeria 2018: By 4 International Colleges & Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.