Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,217 members, 7,807,744 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:18 PM

Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering (30928 Views)

How Much Does It Cost To Complete A Masters Degree In Nigerian Universities? / Ufot Ekong Receives His Master Degree In Electrical & Electronic Engineering / Nigerian Quadruplets Graduates Simultaneously with Masters Degree In UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by CriticalThought: 8:58pm On Nov 18, 2015
The real question is what do you want to do. As you think about it, consider the following factors

Job outlook
Current salary conditions
Your own passions
How many years to complete the degree
What you intend to do with the degree after school
Interview folks who already have such degree to see if it falls in line with your future plans
Finances

Once you weigh the pros and cons, i am sure you will come to a reasonable decision

1 Like

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by ndujekwu(m): 8:58pm On Nov 18, 2015
Paddy, go for Engineering. That is/was what u have always wanted.

From ur points highlighted, you have a higher chance of financial freedom with B.Engr

1 Like

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Baboo13(m): 8:58pm On Nov 18, 2015
Abeg do nursing o

Medical line lon jawo nsin. Ma lo go

Aimoye engineer to n wase kiri

In summary, go for nursing. Personnels are needed in the medical line more than any other field in Nigera. Bsc Nursing is a highly rated professional degree alongside medicine. getting employment is easier and its a fact

There are so many engineers out there unemployed cos oil and gas mentality

1 Like

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by chimoskyg(m): 8:59pm On Nov 18, 2015
Elect elect
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by frankwells(f): 8:59pm On Nov 18, 2015
#Whayasay
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by BabaIjebuXL(m): 8:59pm On Nov 18, 2015
ASHTAROTH:

Firstly, fund is a restraint and secondly the distance is far apart. Though nothing is impossible with readily available fund

Personally, I think nursing is better.The demand for it is on the raise home and abroad.like I said its a personal option.

1 Like

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by tunwumi: 8:59pm On Nov 18, 2015
Both professions are absolutely fantastic but u will end up in frustration in both in the future the only thing that can sustain u in any is ur genuine passion. U have missed the very first question of carrier which is what do u want to become? What is your purpose in life? If you can answer these questions u will not make the wrong decision. My opinion

ASHTAROTH:
Hello fellow Nairalanders,

I need your advice on this issue. I am about to take a very important and life altering decision in my life, but I am kind of confused as to what to do. I am very sure, that we have mature people here, and I would definitely be given best of advice. This issue cuts across my entire life, please matured advice are kindly welcomed.

I am a guy in my early 20s (would be clocking 21 by December). I have a Diploma in Engineering, and I currently work with a company in Southwest Nigeria. I graduated as the best student of my Department, and that was in early 2012. I did my internship in one of the big names in Nigeria.

Ever since 2012 that I finished the first phase of my polytechnic education, I was unable to satisfactorily secure admission into the schools and course of my choice. Nonetheless I vowed never to settle for HND. Although My Dad pushed against my own will to apply for HND and I was admitted but I refused and turned the offer down. For the University admission application, it’s either I was given the course I have no interest in or not admitted at all. I applied through direct entry, UTME and several many others. One of the many trials even journeyed me to meet the Vice Chancellor of a State University in a supposed southwestern state. The Vice Chancellor questioned me, accusing me of probably cheating in CBT because I scored the highest (story for another day).

I kept on trying but, this year I made a resolution to have a taste/peep into another field. Although I have passion for engineering, but I fell in love with Medicine after I saw two American Television series (Grey’s Anatomy and Night Shift, please don’t think of me weird). I humbled myself and did another UTME exam. I did excellently well, and my performance in Post UTME was good, though below my set standard. I was pressed to change from Medicine and Surgery to Nursing when the admission officer told me of my slim chance of being admitted for MBBS (Indigeneship stuffs). Fortunately I was admitted for Nursing.

In my quest not to put my eggs in one basket I obtained another DE form. Using the DE application I picked two schools in southwestern states. But, I didn’t stop there; I applied as an unsolicited candidate to another school in one of the Northern States. Fortunately I was admitted for my long desired course in Engineering Field in the Northern University. Though I am still awaiting the two Southwestern Universities and the Northern University resumes in 3 months; I don’t want to give these all away. I want to make the best decision base on good career advice.

I have so prayed and it seems God is giving me a blank cheque to write on. At this point, I can't afford to make the wrong decision.

The issues I have now are:

1. The school that admitted me for Nursing has opened portal for Acceptance fee payment which closes in a week. Of which the tradition is if I couldn’t pay on or before the said deadline; my admission would be invalid. Of course this calls for professional and tactical deliberation and decision. Of which I am to accept the admission now (school resumes presumably January), I would be forced to quit my full time job, thus I won't be able to safe enough for my expenses of even 2 years in college.

2. I am so in love with the Northern University, I love the environ, the distance and of course the solitary of my personality I would enjoy (considering my personality), but we all know the security issue in the north though it’s not rampant in this particular state.

3. The living expenses in Nursing admitted school is on the high side. Looking at it my entire savings would be out in less than two years. Speaking of which my Dad is of no financial support since I disobeyed and turned him down. So I have myself to think about Feeding, Tution Fee, Hostel Fee, Hand outs, Internet data and Transportation. However, my savings would see me through four years of the Northern University.

4. BNsc is a 5-year course and ELectrical Engineering (DE) is a 4-year course, considering the age factor.

5. I am torn between my fantasy and passion, but I want to make the right and best decision. It’s a pity I would be forced to make decision this early despite the unpreparedness of the rest two schools to release DE admission lists.

I am sorry for the long write up. Please advice me from experience; career-wise and future-wise.

Thank you very much.

Ashtaroth 'Owo
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by HirstMOG(m): 9:00pm On Nov 18, 2015
If na oyimbo country u de I for advise nursing but since na naija, my brother go for engineering oooooo. For your future sake.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Angel4lif(f): 9:01pm On Nov 18, 2015
If he choose Nursing he cannot Regret it,no one ever regretted been in a medical field,rather is a thing of joy to be counted as one.I am a Nurse and I counted myself as a lucky one.thanks!
Fadman4real:
I think you should go for the engineering course, I don't think nursing is what you really want and what if after two years you find out that you hate it, then you would be starting all over again.

Engineering seems to be your real passion, nursing is just a distraction
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by saint2ace(m): 9:01pm On Nov 18, 2015
A lot of things might come into play here, first ur passion plays an important role in how successful u are at any set task; secondly the environment in terms of acceptability of the course of choice and of course the job opportunities available at the end of this set task.

For me as an individual and I state these are my options and not skewed towards any particular direction is as thus: since u have have a diploma in engineering it's easier to integrate into a parallel course and since it's a passion it makes it even easier.

Secondly if u're looking at securing a job here in Nigeria u would require a course that gives u the best comparative advantage as well as alternative option; once again engineering does it for me.

Finally, maybe because I also have a passion for engineering I kindda think the title engineer sounds pretty cool don't you.

My thoughts anyway, the ultimate decision is urs to make and it should be based on what makes u happier, and of course pleas pray and ask for directions from the LORD on high and let him be ur final guide.

Wishing you the very best life has to offer. Remain Blessed

1 Like

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by flexxyworld(m): 9:01pm On Nov 18, 2015
ihatebuhari:
nursing its a very good course, most male nurse works at oil rigs in Niger Delta with good pay.

even here in London they are OK, for me I think nursing is better

Believe me when I say you really got a bright future behind you @ DP
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by kunzaar83(m): 9:01pm On Nov 18, 2015
ASHTAROTH:

I need your advice on this issue. I am about to take a very important and life altering decision in my life, but I am kind of confused as to what to do. I am very sure, that we have mature people here, and I would definitely be given best of advice. This issue cuts across my entire life, please matured advice are kindly welcomed.

I am a guy in my early 20s (would be clocking 21 by December). I have a Diploma in Engineering, and I currently work with a company in Southwest Nigeria. I graduated as the best student of my Department, and that was in early 2012. I did my internship in one of the big names in Nigeria.

Ever since 2012 that I finished the first phase of my polytechnic education, I was unable to satisfactorily secure admission into the schools and course of my choice. Nonetheless I vowed never to settle for HND. Although My Dad pushed against my own will to apply for HND and I was admitted but I refused and turned the offer down. For the University admission application, it’s either I was given the course I have no interest in or not admitted at all. I applied through direct entry, UTME and several many others. One of the many trials even journeyed me to meet the Vice Chancellor of a State University in a supposed southwestern state. The Vice Chancellor questioned me, accusing me of probably cheating in CBT because I scored the highest (story for another day).

I kept on trying but, this year I made a resolution to have a taste/peep into another field. Although I have passion for engineering, but I fell in love with Medicine after I saw two American Television series (Grey’s Anatomy and Night Shift, please don’t think of me weird). I humbled myself and did another UTME exam. I did excellently well, and my performance in Post UTME was good, though below my set standard. I was pressed to change from Medicine and Surgery to Nursing when the admission officer told me of my slim chance of being admitted for MBBS (Indigeneship stuffs). Fortunately I was admitted for Nursing.

In my quest not to put my eggs in one basket I obtained another DE form. Using the DE application I picked two schools in southwestern states. But, I didn’t stop there; I applied as an unsolicited candidate to another school in one of the Northern States. Fortunately I was admitted for my long desired course in Engineering Field in the Northern University. Though I am still awaiting the two Southwestern Universities and the Northern University resumes in 3 months; I don’t want to give these all away. I want to make the best decision base on good career advice.

I have so prayed and it seems God is giving me a blank cheque to write on. At this point, I can't afford to make the wrong decision.

1. The school that admitted me for Nursing has opened portal for Acceptance fee payment which closes in a week. Of which the tradition is if I couldn’t pay on or before the said deadline; my admission would be invalid. Of course this calls for professional and tactical deliberation and decision. Of which I am to accept the admission now (school resumes presumably January), I would be forced to quit my full time job, thus I won't be able to safe enough for my expenses of even 2 years in college.

2. I am so in love with the Northern University, I love the environ, the distance and of course the solitary of my personality I would enjoy (considering my personality), but we all know the security issue in the north though it’s not rampant in this particular state.

3. The living expenses in Nursing admitted school is on the high side. Looking at it my entire savings would be out in less than two years. Speaking of which my Dad is of no financial support since I disobeyed and turned him down. So I have myself to think about Feeding, Tution Fee, Hostel Fee, Hand outs, Internet data and Transportation. However, my savings would see me through four years of the Northern University.

4. BNsc is a 5-year course and ELectrical Engineering (DE) is a 4-year course, considering the age factor.

5. I am torn between my fantasy and passion, but I want to make the right and best decision. It’s a pity I would be forced to make decision this early despite the unpreparedness of the rest two schools to release DE admission lists.

I am sorry for the long write up. Please advice me from experience; career-wise and future-wise.

Thank you very much.

[b]Ashtaroth 'Owo[/b]kindly go for uя nursing bro, in Nigerian labour 10 ppl with Bsc Nursing will get admision b4 1 engneer gets work, unless if u want to end up teaching Maths or Phisics in Second school, just ask uя self what is it in Nigeria to engneer? Nothing Nothing Nothing....... The small available dominate the whole place
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by damton(m): 9:01pm On Nov 18, 2015
PHATE007:
Hello nairalanders! Am a newbie... So what are d rules?
No rules just act as you like.
This is a jungle no rules apply.
it's a platform for bashing and disses .

Hope have been helpful.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Nobody: 9:02pm On Nov 18, 2015
It is obvious you prefer engineering.

1 Like

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by lanrei(m): 9:03pm On Nov 18, 2015
ihatebuhari:
nursing its a very good course, most male nurse works at oil rigs in Niger Delta with good pay.

even here in London they are OK, for me I think nursing is better

Haba! That surely isn't you on your dp
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by yyeanqah(m): 9:03pm On Nov 18, 2015
Follow yhur mind.....buh take yhur brain witchu
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Nobody: 9:04pm On Nov 18, 2015
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by coronaprof(m): 9:04pm On Nov 18, 2015
ASHTAROTH:

Thank you very much.
! Seek profession guidance see the registrars apof both institutuins to get which ever pays you more. Know what - I mean?
Ashtaroth 'Owo
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Baboo13(m): 9:05pm On Nov 18, 2015
PHATE007:
Hello nairalanders! Am a newbie... So what are d rules?

Fi picture e is

From there a mo next line of action
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by porrigeyam(m): 9:06pm On Nov 18, 2015
See as I dy pity u ...don't go for nursing I repeat don't go for nursing
I was withdrawn from the university this month even when I just spent a year there because I was offering the course I hate right from secondary school physics.. And I have a strong passion for computer science or I.c.t ...and I'm happy I can start again and pursue what I want..... Mr man don't go and do nursing because of season film... Don't go and do what u Will regret later.....stick to your engineering and have peace of mind

3 Likes

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by angiography(m): 9:06pm On Nov 18, 2015
Sounds more like reeling out your academic prowess than a genuine sought of advice

1 Like

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Nobody: 9:06pm On Nov 18, 2015
salaboiz:
Bros go for Nursing because if u go for electrical engineering, u will end up as a class teacher

Look at it from the long-term earnings and hire-appeal side, both are valued high-in-demand jobs overseas.. Elect Eng. pays higher on the long run. why narrow your focus to Nigeria
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Nastydroid(m): 9:07pm On Nov 18, 2015
IYANGBALI:
where is you going?
abeg hold this K for me,i want to eat dinner. wink
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by pus96: 9:07pm On Nov 18, 2015
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Idrismusty97(m): 9:10pm On Nov 18, 2015
You have a diploma in engineering with even work experience. To top it all you came out best in you class meaning you are probably good in calculations. Please don't waste this talent on Nursing, Your love for nursing only suffice when you start watching Grey autonomy. It happens to anyone, I admire Doctors, Astronauts, engineers, lawyers etc But i learnt to separate my passion from infatuation. Go for what you are good at.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Salimmuhammad(m): 9:11pm On Nov 18, 2015
guy from what ive experienced follow ur passion...its better u do what you love and happy doing than ur fantasy..

2 Likes

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by angiography(m): 9:11pm On Nov 18, 2015
Baboo13:
Abeg do nursing o

Medical line lon jawo nsin. Ma lo go

Aimoye engineer to n wase kiri

In summary, go for nursing. Personnels are needed in the medical line more than any other field in Nigera. Bsc Nursing is a highly rated professional degree alongside medicine. getting employment is easier and its a fact

There are so many engineers out there unemployed cos oil and gas mentality
It's really a fact

1 Like

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by miqos02(m): 9:12pm On Nov 18, 2015
elect elect joor
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Sunny4Gold: 9:13pm On Nov 18, 2015
gomegie:

Scam
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by ojubi(m): 9:14pm On Nov 18, 2015
As a male nurse I have stayed unemployed only for 16 days for the past 10 years.
I live in my own house in PH, and I am currently building a 2 story building in my state capital.
As I type this my wife is by my side and very happy (women they like cash). When I was in school of nursing my friends use to make jest of me that I am In a "glorified secondary school"
but today, I work in an oil rig and my friend that did civil engineering has been looking for job here.
Plus I am now in uni doing my first degree, which I will finish next year with a good 2:1.
My brother oops, as it stands now if you do engineering people will respect you while in school, if you do nursing people may laugh at you while in school, but when you graduate and start looking for job, in Nigeria of today nursing is better. Good luck.

3 Likes

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by PHATE007(f): 9:14pm On Nov 18, 2015
speedyGonzales:

as a female, you must post your nudes... very important rule.

smiley
thanks much dearie... But I'll have to take a pass on ur Offer
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Nobody: 9:16pm On Nov 18, 2015
Congrats on your admissions. Always remember the Northern Nigeria is quite unpredictable, either now or later. A bird at hand is worth twice in the bush - opt for the Nursing degree. About finance, you will be surprised how God will bail you out, even before you start the program. All through,trust God to lead you till the end.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I Am Now Depending On Friends For Food And Shelter -nigerian Man Studying Abroad / UNILAG Postgraduate Past Questions And Answers PDF Free Download / Cultism: Taraba State University Expels 8 Cultists, Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.