Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? (9696 Views)

UK: Instead Of Arresting Kanu, Defeat Him Through A Referendum. / POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. / 26 Csos Move To Back IPOB For Referendum On Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by EternalTruths: 5:11pm On Nov 19, 2015
pus96:
Stop talking about Biafra
It is a dream of fool. Like the former army chief , foolishness is not igbo

I would let Biafra go.. But no food. How do you feed 30 million , on water.

For how long

You should first stop preaching about Odua republic before kicking against Biafra

Are you guys cursed.?

You shout Odua but condemn Biafra

Truly you are an ediota angry
Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by EternalTruths: 5:14pm On Nov 19, 2015
biafranking:
can i see the link where spain has refused to recognised the referendum

Leave him to his incorrect view

Once Biafra takes up arms, UN will intervene. They will ask Biafrans what they want of which the Biafrans will reply referendum. cool

1 Like

Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by Jaideyone(m): 8:05pm On Nov 19, 2015
biafranking:
can i see the link where spain has refused to recognised the referendum
this should cure your ignorance
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_self-determination_referendum,_2014
Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by oyatz(m): 7:38am On Mar 30, 2017
Niger Deltans have severally warn you against including them in your proposed Biafra.

McTobe:
The big powers knows only their interest only and nothing more. like I argued before only if they see what they will benefit more from Biafra that their relationship with Nigeria have not offered them. For me China can easily support Biafra and the same goes for Russia with their new posture in international affairs. Saudi Arabia is under US manipulation and they will do US bidding but I don't know yet how US and their allies can forgo their interest in Nigeria. If the Niger Deltans(SS) willingly come into Biafra as I know that there is a likelihood, then Biafra must convince these big MNC oil companies to convince their home countries to support the Biafra course that their interest will be highly protected under the Biafra state and even woe them to establish a military base in Biafra and of course secret deals will be signed. without taking care of these big power interests the achievement of Biafra will remain a mirage

1 Like

Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by oyatz(m): 7:44am On Mar 30, 2017
This is the most intelligent comment so far.

superstar1:

There is no world power that can support secession openly because they also have secessionist cry in their backyards too that they are grappling with.

In US, the Sourthern States want to pull out of the Union, In RUssia, you have Chenchya, in China you have Tibet and Taiwan and even hong Kong; in Britain, we had Scotland; in canada you have Quebec; in Spain you have the Basque Region and the Catalonia.

Which one of them will support secession without fueling hat they are contending with at home?

The road to secession is simple but tortuous and calls for intellectual argument rather than show of brawn that will never lead to any where.

1 Like

Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by khSteel: 8:00am On Mar 30, 2017
carnegiefan:

UN can "force" Nigeria to conduct a referendum if the permanent members agree to that. Any number of things can make them agree... or not.
It is left to the Biafrans to find out what those things are.
Personally I believe that the shortest route to Biafran freedom from Nigeria is for the Biafrans to "convince" the Nigerians that they want out and even if it takes 100 years that they want out. Once the Nigerians get convinced that we hate them enough; D they will ask us to leave.
Right now they hate us, but we haven't returned the favor yet.
Even foreigners notice that Nigerians hate us, but the problem is our people who carry on as if life can go on under the burden of such hate.
Our region is the most neglected in Nigeria in terms of federal infrastructure.
Things that North and West take for granted (eg airports, roads and bridges) are pies in the skies in our region.
And if we complain, we are killed.
It is only if we return the hate that the writing will become clear on the wall.
Maybe then, they would know that we are humans with dignity too, and maybe let us go ('cos frankly they don't like us).

At the bold, I guess IGBOs have finally developed their own HATING skills and some IDIOTS that has been HATING IGBOs for the past 50 years can't handle the same dish they serve IGBOs.

Bunch of HATEFUL Clowns.

1 Like

Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by TRUTHTOPOWER: 8:27am On Mar 30, 2017
AyakaDunukofia:

If no international law takes predcedent over a country's constitution, why is Sudan's president Albashir hiding like a rat for years or why was Slobadan Milosovich of Yugoslavia arrested.

The UN was established after the second world war given that once in a while murderous tyrants and sado-masochists like Buhari appear on the political radar, just like Hitler.

Biafra's won't be the first for Nigeria. The southern Cameroons were granted their right of opinion through the 1961 plebscite in a referendum by Nigeria, and was conducted UNDER UN's Supervision and NOT NIGERIA(no magomago)

The question to ask is not which law is greater: municipal or international law? The question should be: Which conditions make one body of law more obligatory than the other? The precedent in law is that international law overrides municipal laws under humanitarian circumstances. Especially when international boundaries had been settled. If Biafra had been sustained through armed conflict or civil disobedience in 1970s by 1980s the international community would have supported separation. But today when "Biafrans" are represented in government more than over 240 ethnic groups in Nigeria, The agitation for Biafra has no successful precedent under international law.
Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by kingzizzy: 9:51am On Mar 30, 2017
oyatz:
Niger Deltans have severally warn you against including them in your proposed Biafra.

Is this topic about Biafra? It is about referendum.

When it comes to secession, you have to call the people by their real names. Niger Deltans is a colonial name. Lugard did not meet anyone called 'Niger Deltans' when he came to west Africa, so how did this name come about?

Niger Delta is just another colonial name.

Just Ijaws are enough to do their own referendum and become a separate nation. If they do this, you will go and hold them and say you are Niger Delta?

Coming back to topic. Since Nigeria is an illegal colonial fraud of a creation, referendum is the only way out.

While some might say that the constitution does not support referendum, of what use is the constitution if the very country it is written for is both illegal and fraudulent?

A referendum in the case of Nigeria is the only wzy to decolonise those that Lugard forced together at gunpoint.
Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by PFRB: 9:53am On Mar 30, 2017
Jaideyone:
no they can not. there are cases when referendum is conducted but the government of the country won't acknowledge it. there's nothing the UN can do. an example is Catalonia in Spain. the referendum conducted shows Catalonia should be a country but Spain has refused to recognise the referendum

The Catalonia referendum was unilateral. That is what Spain is saying..
Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by bantudra: 10:06am On Mar 30, 2017
i dont know about international wayos going on in politics...i hate politics..

but one thing you biafrans must consider:

nigeria is made up of old african empires...
the kings and elders still exist till today....nothing changed....

if you think you can bypass your kings and elders and place them under foreighn laws,then you are on a looooooong thing...
Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by bantudra: 10:14am On Mar 30, 2017
oyatz:

we are still warning them...they still dont want to listen....uno can not force me to do anything......

the day they try to force nigeria,is the day nigeria will leave uno...........make them try it...

i dont want biafra....simple...
Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by McTobe(m): 10:42am On Mar 30, 2017
oyatz:

who is this one
Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by cbravo3: 8:11am On Apr 19, 2017
Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by jpphilips(m): 7:19am On Aug 16, 2017
Calculia:
Yes. Nigeria is a signatory country to the International Court and international law takes precedent over domestic law.

Thus, no need to amend constitution to hold referendum in the SS AND SE for Biafra.

Please I want to read the draft of such law to see where it concors with your claims.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by jpphilips(m): 7:29am On Aug 16, 2017
AyakaDunukofia:

If no international law takes predcedent over a country's constitution, why is Sudan's president Albashir hiding like a rat for years or why was Slobadan Milosovich of Yugoslavia arrested.

The UN was established after the second world war given that once in a while murderous tyrants and sado-masochists like Buhari appear on the political radar, just like Hitler.

Biafra's won't be the first for Nigeria. The southern Cameroons were granted their right of opinion through the 1961 plebscite in a referendum by Nigeria, and was conducted UNDER UN's Supervision and NOT NIGERIA(no magomago)

Where do you guys get all these lies from?

1 Like

Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:33am On Aug 16, 2017
jpphilips:

Where do you guys get all these lies from?

Kindly correct the lies.
Here to learn

2 Likes

Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by jpphilips(m): 7:38am On Aug 16, 2017
kingzizzy:
I can't comment on referendum as a process since I'm not an international Lawyer but I can comment on the 'right' to a referendum. I believe that any ethnic group in Nigeria can seek referendum based on the fact that Nigeria is just a mere colonial contruct. The argument for a referendum is that the people who populate Nigeria were never consulted before Lugard unilaterally created Nigeria. This renders the 1914 amalgamation illegitimate and thus, a referendum becomes the only legitimate way for the various ethnicities to define their political borders. A clause in the amalgamation document purpotedly claims that after 100 years, any of the ethnic nationalities that make up Nigeria who are no longer happy with the union can opt out. The fact that Nigeria is an illegal fabrication of the White man is at the very heart of why a referendum should be conducted. Referendum is the legitimate way to reverse the illegal amalgamation of 1914 and to decolonize Nigeria. I remember watching on YouTube an interview Asari Dokubo gave where he claimed that the Ijaw people sent a delegation to the colonial office in London in 1923 to ask the British Government why they included the Ijaw people in Nigeria. Dokubo also claimed that the Egba people of South west Nigeria never became part of Nigeria until that same year of 1923. My late grandfather was born an Igbo man in 1902, he told me before he died that he did not know he had been made a Nigerian until 1920. The fact that most people were made Nigerians without their knowledge also renders Nigeria as an act of fraud thus lending credibility to the notion of a referendum. On the whole, the case for a referendum is very strong and if the Nigerian Government eventually does not agree to a referendum, I believe it will later lead to a second civil war

Your illiteracy knows no bound, take heart!

2 Likes

Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by jpphilips(m): 7:43am On Aug 16, 2017
carnegiefan:

I have to agree on the bolded.

For the ICJ at THE HAGUE, their ruling becomes binding on any country that willing go there for any adjudication on a case, usually a trans-national or international case. The Bakassi case adjudication became binding on Nigeria the moment Nigeria agreed AHEAD OF TIME to abide by its ruling.
That is why Cameroun kept persuading Nigeria to go there with them, and Nigeria "mumuishly" went there. The rest is history.

As for the International Criminal Court (ICC), that is binding on all countries that are SIGNATORY to it.
Nigeria is a signatory to ICC, so her leaders are subject to being dragged there for justice on issues of crimes against humanity.
That is why IPOB wear body cameras gathering shooting evidences against unarmed civilians by the Nigeria police and others.
One day "Sai Baba" go hear am.

They are not aware that Nigeria like several countries can pull out from any international agreements or treaties, just like Trump pulled out of the Paris accord,;what do they know?

3 Likes

Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by jpphilips(m): 7:47am On Aug 16, 2017
EternalTruths:

Leave him to his incorrect view

Once Biafra takes up arms, UN will intervene. They will ask Biafrans what they want of which the Biafrans will reply referendum. cool

Pick up arms? grin on the contrary, Biafra will be designated a terrorist organisation, if in doubt ask the PKK

4 Likes

Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by jpphilips(m): 7:57am On Aug 16, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Kindly correct the lies.
Here to learn

The right of opinion granted to the Southern Cameroonians does not in anyway interprete as a referendum or plebiscite, even by drunk standards.
Nigeria recognises only the 1999 constitution, whatever that was provided for in the Macpherson and Richard's are no longer binding, for someone to quote a 1961 event in 2017, is ecclipse of knowledge.

90% of those who posted on this thread have zero knowledge of international politics, there is absolutely nothing to learn here. Dont waste your time.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by kioboy(m): 8:03am On Aug 16, 2017
McTobe:
quote any section of Nigeria constitution that recognizes international criminal court rule to be binding on Nigeria. u don't need to remind me that we are talking international law because I know before commenting, I also said that the decision of ICC is of persuasive authority on Nigeria and not of binding authority on Nigeria quote me any where. Do u know that Nigeria could choose to disregard the ICJ ruling on bakassi Peninsula? By the way who enforces ICC rulings?

so how come we ceded bakasi penisula to Cameroon based on international court judgement?

1 Like

Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by moninuola65: 8:33am On Aug 16, 2017
It's a pity that Biafra is a trap for igbo and will hold them in Nigeria forever.
The founder of biafra had killed biafra before he died.
It could have been better to continue Biafra project if ojukwu died in war!
Ojukwu declared Biafra a violent group and rebel against a sovereign state, which is violated the international law, waged the war, defeated and surrendered....that is the end of Biafra!
No international law can resuscitate the dead Biafra!
If Nnamdi kanu come out to fight for the freedom of igbo nation in peaceful agitation, he get it wrong to to take the dead Biafra for his igbo nation freedom fighting!
Anything Biafra can't free igbo from Nigeria, Biafra had been condemn and killed internationally!
Ojukwu even created party and and the party is still there till today, but is the party had Biafra manifesto? No!
because the party know the Biafra project game had been played and lost!
Igbo must come out of other new idea that will confiance international community!
Not Biafra!
Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:38am On Aug 16, 2017
jpphilips:

The right of opinion granted to the Southern Cameroonians does not in anyway interprete as a referendum or plebiscite, even by drunk standards.
Nigeria recognises only the 1999 constitution, whatever that was provided for in the Macpherson and Richard's are no longer binding, for someone to quote a 1961 event in 2017, is ecclipse of knowledge.

90% of those who posted on this thread have zero knowledge of international politics, there is absolutely nothing to learn here. Dont waste your time.

There is always a lot to learn.
You might know, I might know, but a lot of people don't know and can be misled by the Rubbish being post on this forum.
Posterity will always remember you for trying to do the right thing.
Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by Babacele: 8:51am On Aug 16, 2017
jpphilips:

Your illiteracy knows no bound, take heart!
these guys who are being misled by their rogue elites know nothing ,and this deliberate misinfo constipation of Igbos is the real disaster!
Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by jpphilips(m): 9:28am On Aug 16, 2017
Babacele:
these guys who are being misled by their rogue elites know nothing ,and this deliberate misinfo constipation of Igbos is the real disaster!

Im no longer bothered about them, I think im Beginning to enjoy their entertainment value, when a man believes one lun@tic is right because he got his @rse on a radio, then others must be wrong despite not presenting any proof of his claims, then you must understand that this Biafra issue is an Aphrodisiac.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by Babacele: 9:40am On Aug 16, 2017
jpphilips:

Im no longer bothered about them, I think im Beginning to enjoy their entertainment value, when a man believes one lun@tic is right because he got his @rse on a radio, then others must be wrong despite not presenting any proof of his claims, then you must understand that this Biafra issue is an Aphrodisiac.
a dangerous aphrodisiac that is putting the wellbeing of innocent lives and property who never ate from PDP in damn jeopardy. .....already the Northern mirror of Igbos have started a quiet cold war while stewpid Igbos are expecting bullets and gun reactions. Never knew FG was gona be this fast on the ASUU stuff last night when I posted d sledgehammer thing.

1 Like

Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by kettykin: 9:47am On Aug 16, 2017
McTobe:
For where? No international law takes precedent over any country's constitution. it contravens the Westphalia treaty establishing the modern state structure thus any rule of the UN is only of persuasive and not of binding authority on Nigeria On the issue of a referendum to determine a seceding part's claim to right for self determination the truth of the matter is that a lot of political tricks can be brought to bear on the matter depending on the alliance that the seceding part have in the parliament with one or more factions in the house. I stand to be corrected but I don't think u need to amend any constitution. INEC can be used to settle the matter through referendum but like I said with the right political alliances.

if this is true , how come Nigeria had to bow to ICC rule giving out oil rich penisular with out much fuss, Nifgeria again bowed to UN in 1961 and after independence and conducted a referendum for the Souther Cameroons to leave Nigeria
Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by McTobe(m): 1:10pm On Aug 16, 2017
kettykin:

if this is true , how come Nigeria had to bow to ICC rule giving out oil rich penisular with out much fuss, Nifgeria again bowed to UN in 1961 and after independence and conducted a referendum for the Souther Cameroons to leave Nigeria
the answer is simple, Its because Nigeria policy makers want to or better put the political office holders want to. Nigeria can decide to differ on the judgement or choose not to even attend the court proceedings with different reasons, and as far as i am concerned Nigeria have the clout to do that. but seen from another perspective i will not be surprise if the ruling class of that time did not choose to give away that rich peninsular only to be awarded oil wells in that same peninsular by Cameroun, i came to this agreement when i considered the reasons why Nigeria went to a very costly peace keeping operation in Liberia where Nigeria does not have any national interest but the interest of the Generals at the helms of affair at the time. i keep wondering why a President will cede some of its territory to another country on the ground of some judgement by an International court other than personal interest. countries act rationally in the field of international politics ask yourself in how many occassions have Nigeria acted so rationally? its not that they dont have experts in the Ministry of Foreign Affair or that Nigeria Institute of International Affair NIIA is not there to guide and direct them but the personal interest of the Political class and their friends is what is protected and not Nigeria National interest.
Re: Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? by GoldNiagara(m): 2:23pm On Aug 16, 2017
The question alone shows that the op does not know how the multi lateral organization works.

The highest authority of the united nations is the security council, whose decision can be vetoed by the permanent members of the security council, meaning the permanent members of security council are really the highest authority.

There is what is called state sovereignty and the recent concept of universal jurisdiction.

UN cannot offend the doctrine of sovereignty but can intervene on the principle of universal jurisdiction when there is crime against humanity.

Been a while my international law is rusty.

Now there are laid down procedures for seeking self determination by united nations, despite how smart IBO's want us to believe they have refused to set the procedure running but keep indulging in exactly what will not give them Biafra

I will not volunteer the information that is how we earn our fee.

Long and short op, is that united nations cannot compel a state to conduct a referendum, even security council doesn't have the power.

Research about it and stop looking for solutions among unlearned people.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Malam Ujudud Shariff Dies At 60 / Ondo 2020: Dogara heads PDP Screening Committee for Ondo Primaries / 2023 Presidency: PDP May Lose Again If Northern Candidate Emerges, Says Okupe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.