Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,927 members, 7,806,692 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:59 PM

Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK (33619 Views)

Nigeria's Growing Fulani Conflict Stokes Biafran Cause, Dailymail.uk / Amaechi Accused Of Stealing £500million - Dailymail Uk / Boko Haram Destroys Nigerian Military Base; 107 Troops MIA - Dailymail UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by EasternLion: 9:49am On Nov 19, 2015

Pro-Biafra supporters hold a poster of jailed activist Nnamdi Kanu during a protest in Aba, southeastern Nigeria, calling for his release on November 18, 2015 ©Pius Utomi Ekpei (AFP)
Thousands of protesters took to the streets in southeast Nigeria on Wednesday to demand the release of an activist who operated an illegal radio station calling for a separate state of Biafra.

The demonstration in Aba was the latest by separatist groups on an issue that has again exposed deep and longstanding ethnic fault lines in Africa's most populous nation.

A previous unilateral declaration of an independent Republic of Biafra in 1967 led to a brutal civil war that left more than one million dead in nearly three years of fighting.

In Aba, the commercial hub of Abia state, some 2,000 people carried placards with slogans such as "Biafra or death" and waved the Biafran flag -- a golden rising sun on red, black and green.

Others wore t-shirts and caps with the image of Nnamdi Kanu, the director of Radio Biafra and founder of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) pressure group.

Some sang freedom songs and carried the outlawed Biafran pound currency.

"Getting our leader out of detention is our immediate concern but ultimately we want to be free from Nigeria," IPOB's Abia coordinator, Ikechukwu Ugwuoha, told the crowds.

"We are tired of this forced marriage imposed on us in 1914 by the British colonial authorities. We don't want anything to do with Nigeria again because we have not benefited from Nigeria."

- Criminal conspiracy -

Radio Biafra was taken off air in July this year after the government accused it of being a "seditious pirate radio station" which broadcast "unsavoury hate messages".

Kanu was arrested last month and charged with criminal conspiracy, membership of an unlawful society and criminal intimidation.

A judge in Abuja on Wednesday ordered Nigeria's secret police to produce him in court next Monday.

Tension has been building since Kanu's detention, culminating in demonstrations in major southeastern cities and fears of a crackdown against protesters.

In Port Harcourt last week, police fired shots in the air and teargas to disperse hundreds of pro-Biafra supporters.

The Aba demonstration came after a planned blockade of the Niger Bridge on Tuesday was cancelled because of warnings from security personnel.

The demonstration in Aba was the latest by separatist groups on an issue that has again exposed deep and longstanding ethnic fault lines in Africa's most populous nation ©Pius Utomi Ekpei (AFP)

The bridge crossing the River Niger which links the southeast with the rest of Nigeria was the de facto border during the civil war.

Pro-Biafran sentiment has persisted among the dominant Igbo people in southeast Nigeria because of perceptions they have been punished for breaking away.

But the man who led Biafra during the civil war, Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, warned against a second bid for secession in an interview before his death in 2012.

Nigeria's military ruler at the time of the civil war, Yakubu Gowon, last month said he recognised people's right to protest but the concept of Biafra was "finished".

"I don't think it (the increased pro-Biafran sentiment) is any threat," he told Nigeria's Channels television on October 23.

"If there is anything of this sort, anywhere in any part of the country, just like the problem of Boko Haram, we, Nigeria, should deal with it in a mature way."

- 'No going back' -

On the streets, however, there was defiance. IPOB member Jude Chukwu Akiaba tore apart the green and white Nigerian tricolour, calling the country "dead and buried".

"The Nigerian government has neglected the Igbos for long," the group's women's leader, Uzor Amaka, told AFP. "There are no social amenities like roads, electricity, hospitals and jobs in the east.

"Our people are still being made to suffer for the civil war. So, it is better to call it quits with Nigeria and put our destiny in our hands."

Osmond Lekwauwa said he was ready to die for the cause.

"What's the point of belonging to a nation where you cannot have basic necessities like good roads, water, electricity and jobs?" he asked.

"I left school (university) six years ago and have not been able to secure a paid employment. I have been doing menial jobs to survive. At 32, I cannot even raise a family.

"I will rather die being a Biafran than to remain in Nigeria," he said, urging local political leaders to back their campaign.

"There is no going back on the struggle," he added.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-3323962/Thousands-protest-Nigeria-pro-Biafra-detainee-independence.html

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by ify2016: 9:50am On Nov 19, 2015
No be small thing o... protest everywhere... Me I don dey mind my biz o
LOL...
FTC on first day of joining Nairaland.
I dedicate free shit to everyone wey wan shit for our toilet. just to increase the ministry.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by EasternLion: 9:54am On Nov 19, 2015
Come see oh, we going international! cool cool cool

I can see alot of "Shildren hof ate" saying we are wasting our time.

In Biafraland, we say in the Igbo-speaking part "Onye Kwe Chi Ya Ekwe", which when translated to English means "If you accept/agree, your god also accepts".

We are not wasting our time, remember the line that says "Vox populi", right?

Biafra on my mind cool cool cool cool cool cool

107 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by Baboo13(m): 9:57am On Nov 19, 2015
Hmm this thing is gradually getting international audience. Instead of govt to take action and deal with it effectively, they are playing media gallery, and you're giving them audience. That's how boko haram started

9 Likes

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by AngryNigerian(m): 9:59am On Nov 19, 2015
Now, we have two parties in Nigeria... Those that question unruly govt actions (PDPites) Those that swallow them hook,line & sinker (APCites) ...& then my pple go hungry,& suffer in the midst of plenty; & you say we should be happy #IAmANigerian #IAmVeryAngry

3 Likes

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by EasternLion: 9:59am On Nov 19, 2015
Baboo13:
Hmm this thing is gradually taking getting international audience. Instead of govt to take action and deal with it effectively, they are playing media gallery, and you're giving them audience. That's how boko haram started

Oga, do not compare us with Boko Haram, i take Chukwu Okike Abiama beg you.

125 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by brize(m): 10:01am On Nov 19, 2015
more will still write about us

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by ragiluhivo(m): 10:05am On Nov 19, 2015
Quote of the day

What's the point of belonging to a nation where you cannot have basic necessities like good roads, water, electricity and jobs?

79 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by Baboo13(m): 10:06am On Nov 19, 2015
EasternLion:

Oga, do not compare us with Boko Haram, i take Chukwu Okike Abiama beg you.

Can't you understand a simple post?

1 Like

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by vkeydon(m): 10:08am On Nov 19, 2015
Buhari will soon start experiencing the 10 plagues of Egypt

77 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by EasternLion: 10:12am On Nov 19, 2015
Baboo13:

Can't you understand a simple post?

I did, but it is very demeaning, to put IPOB (agitating for a worldwide recognized legitimate course) AND a group of ragtag madmen (murdering their people and bombing the whole place back to stone age).

103 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by EasternLion: 10:13am On Nov 19, 2015
Lalastic-lala, I see you peeping, this is worthy of FP, right?

Edited: Done.

cool

8 Likes

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by baddyoosha: 10:14am On Nov 19, 2015
WITH ALL THE PROBLEMS IN THE COUNTRY THE SENATE HOUSE HAS NOT GRANTED THE STATES BOTH THE NORTH WEST AND MIDDLE BELTS HAVE ASKED FOR which kind pikin be this kpomo him no chop na beef him wan chop GOD BLESS BIAFRA STATE AND NIGERIA

5 Likes

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by lasisi69(f): 10:14am On Nov 19, 2015
End time protest

8 Likes

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by Nobody: 10:14am On Nov 19, 2015
Endtime
Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by PLANETMARS(m): 10:14am On Nov 19, 2015
For una info una oga kunu abi kanu has been sent into d future he is now a peace loving nigerian.

7 Likes

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by Nobody: 10:14am On Nov 19, 2015
Wasted generations

Jobless wailers

All they are good at is how to make fast and illegal money sad

Are these the trolls that want to face the Nigerian army
Lol!

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by frankwells(f): 10:14am On Nov 19, 2015
#WHAYSAY ENDTIME FOR BIAFRA
Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by Sijo01(f): 10:14am On Nov 19, 2015
Booohari, release their leader for them o.

31 Likes 1 Share

Biafra my left ball

Jobless fuckhěads tongue

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by Nobody: 10:15am On Nov 19, 2015
The world is too busy with other issues right now.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by jenyfah(f): 10:15am On Nov 19, 2015
End time Biafra people

3 Likes

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by Billygee2u: 10:15am On Nov 19, 2015
EasternLion:

Pro-Biafra supporters hold a poster of jailed activist Nnamdi Kanu during a protest in Aba, southeastern Nigeria, calling for his release on November 18, 2015 ©Pius Utomi Ekpei (AFP)
Thousands of protesters took to the streets in southeast Nigeria on Wednesday to demand the release of an activist who operated an illegal radio station calling for a separate state of Biafra.

The demonstration in Aba was the latest by separatist groups on an issue that has again exposed deep and longstanding ethnic fault lines in Africa's most populous nation.

A previous unilateral declaration of an independent Republic of Biafra in 1967 led to a brutal civil war that left more than one million dead in nearly three years of fighting.

In Aba, the commercial hub of Abia state, some 2,000 people carried placards with slogans such as "Biafra or death" and waved the Biafran flag -- a golden rising sun on red, black and green.

Others wore t-shirts and caps with the image of Nnamdi Kanu, the director of Radio Biafra and founder of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) pressure group.

Some sang freedom songs and carried the outlawed Biafran pound currency.

"Getting our leader out of detention is our immediate concern but ultimately we want to be free from Nigeria," IPOB's Abia coordinator, Ikechukwu Ugwuoha, told the crowds.

"We are tired of this forced marriage imposed on us in 1914 by the British colonial authorities. We don't want anything to do with Nigeria again because we have not benefited from Nigeria."

- Criminal conspiracy -

Radio Biafra was taken off air in July this year after the government accused it of being a "seditious pirate radio station" which broadcast "unsavoury hate messages".

Kanu was arrested last month and charged with criminal conspiracy, membership of an unlawful society and criminal intimidation.

A judge in Abuja on Wednesday ordered Nigeria's secret police to produce him in court next Monday.

Tension has been building since Kanu's detention, culminating in demonstrations in major southeastern cities and fears of a crackdown against protesters.

In Port Harcourt last week, police fired shots in the air and teargas to disperse hundreds of pro-Biafra supporters.

The Aba demonstration came after a planned blockade of the Niger Bridge on Tuesday was cancelled because of warnings from security personnel.

The demonstration in Aba was the latest by separatist groups on an issue that has again exposed deep and longstanding ethnic fault lines in Africa's most populous nation ©Pius Utomi Ekpei (AFP)

The bridge crossing the River Niger which links the southeast with the rest of Nigeria was the de facto border during the civil war.

Pro-Biafran sentiment has persisted among the dominant Igbo people in southeast Nigeria because of perceptions they have been punished for breaking away.

But the man who led Biafra during the civil war, Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, warned against a second bid for secession in an interview before his death in 2012.

Nigeria's military ruler at the time of the civil war, Yakubu Gowon, last month said he recognised people's right to protest but the concept of Biafra was "finished".

"I don't think it (the increased pro-Biafran sentiment) is any threat," he told Nigeria's Channels television on October 23.

"If there is anything of this sort, anywhere in any part of the country, just like the problem of Boko Haram, we, Nigeria, should deal with it in a mature way."

- 'No going back' -

On the streets, however, there was defiance. IPOB member Jude Chukwu Akiaba tore apart the green and white Nigerian tricolour, calling the country "dead and buried".

"The Nigerian government has neglected the Igbos for long," the group's women's leader, Uzor Amaka, told AFP. "There are no social amenities like roads, electricity, hospitals and jobs in the east.

"Our people are still being made to suffer for the civil war. So, it is better to call it quits with Nigeria and put our destiny in our hands."

Osmond Lekwauwa said he was ready to die for the cause.

"What's the point of belonging to a nation where you cannot have basic necessities like good roads, water, electricity and jobs?" he asked.

"I left school (university) six years ago and have not been able to secure a paid employment. I have been doing menial jobs to survive. At 32, I cannot even raise a family.

"I will rather die being a Biafran than to remain in Nigeria," he said, urging local political leaders to back their campaign.

"There is no going back on the struggle," he added.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-3323962/Thousands-protest-Nigeria-pro-Biafra-detainee-independence.html

3 Likes

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by Nobody: 10:15am On Nov 19, 2015
Wasted generations

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by frankwells(f): 10:15am On Nov 19, 2015
#WHAYSAY ENDTIME FOR NIGERIA

3 Likes

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by harrysterol(m): 10:15am On Nov 19, 2015
They better go and rest, their case is dead on arrival
Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by estherdim: 10:16am On Nov 19, 2015
Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by Nobody: 10:16am On Nov 19, 2015
D poster under me has notin to say buh d one under him has ears all over d world
Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by Nobody: 10:16am On Nov 19, 2015
angry

Them never see anything, all these ones are still subtle approaches.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by Billygee2u: 10:16am On Nov 19, 2015
Biafra is now popular than Nigeria worldwide

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thousands Protest In Aba For Pro-biafra Detainee, Independence - Dailymail UK by naijapips02: 10:16am On Nov 19, 2015
That's dailymail's reporters' portal. . Not official dailymail.

8 Likes

baddyoosha:
g
Gaari

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Photos Of Peter Obi's Supporters Holding Their First Meeting In Calabar / Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five / Zamfara: Withdraw Femi Fani-Kayode’s Traditional Title - Emir Of Shinkafi Told

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.