Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,657 members, 7,801,913 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:24 AM

Meet Haben Girma, The First Deaf-blind Graduate Of Harvard Law School.(pics) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Meet Haben Girma, The First Deaf-blind Graduate Of Harvard Law School.(pics) (1805 Views)

Female Student Sells Crayfish To Sponsor Herself In School (Pics) / Nwabueze Eucharia, A Graduate Of UNIZIK Paints & Tiles (Pics) / Graduate Of University Of Abuja Frying Akara (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Haben Girma, The First Deaf-blind Graduate Of Harvard Law School.(pics) by ZAMZINE(m): 12:16pm On Nov 20, 2015
Eritrean-American lawyer Haben Girma was the first deaf-blind graduate of Harvard Law School. Today she’s a lawyer at Disability Rights Advocates, a accessible technology campaigner and a keen surfer.

Honored as a White House Champion of Change , and the first Deafblind graduate of Harvard Law School, Haben Girma advocates for the civil rights of persons with disabilities. A celebrated speaker, she provided the introductory remarks for the 25th Anniversary of the ADA at the White House. Her TEDxBaltimore Talk has garnered over 43,000 views.
Haben joined Disability Rights Advocates in 2013 as a Skadden Fellow, and became a Staff Attorney in 2015. She helped achieve a legal victory in National Federation of the Blind v. Scribd, the second case to hold that the ADA applies to e-commerce. She received her J.D. in 2013 from Harvard, and her B.A., magna cum laude, in 2010 from Lewis & Clark College.
“I grew up facing access barriers as a deafblind person, and that inspired me to become a lawyer. And work to remove access barriers facing people with disabilities around the world.
Graduating from Harvard Law School says a lot about what can be done when people have the right attitude.
About 12 years ago, I attended a camp for the blind and met an amazing blind dancer. She taught me my first swing and salsa lessons.
I also do tandem surfing. Surfing feels very liberating and exciting. And I love being able to connect with people and to share tactile, kinaesthetic languages.
We should try to move towards a more inclusive world, so that it’s no longer a big deal for a deafblind person to go to law school.”

Source.... www.habengirma.com/

Re: Meet Haben Girma, The First Deaf-blind Graduate Of Harvard Law School.(pics) by Fynpatra(f): 12:28pm On Nov 20, 2015
Impressing...
She knew she's physically challenged nat academically challenged...
Re: Meet Haben Girma, The First Deaf-blind Graduate Of Harvard Law School.(pics) by Acebrain28(m): 8:39am On Feb 02, 2016
I JUST FELL IN LOVE

(1) (Reply)

Computer Science Vs Mass Communication Degree, Which Best In Nigeria / How I Broke The Chain Of Stagnation In My Career / My Friend Was Almost Violated By Her Boss. Looking For A New Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.