Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,046 members, 7,807,138 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:08 AM

The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) (56791 Views)

Peremobowei Shedrack Erebulu Visits Oboro Gbaraun In Delta State. Photos / The Cost Of Uprooting The Ekiti Sacred Tree In Odo, Oja (Snapshot) / Kiyi, A Community In FCT That Still Kills Twins And Triplets? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by SuPeRq(f): 6:04pm On Nov 20, 2015
Ha
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by pamcode(m): 6:04pm On Nov 20, 2015
Front page madness has destroyed nl fp

1 Like

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by billyG(m): 6:04pm On Nov 20, 2015
That is not an Iguana that is a Comondo lizard or Monitor Lizard.

4 Likes

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by noeloge82(m): 6:05pm On Nov 20, 2015
Every community with its own believe Africa is richly blessed with culture and traditions

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by wengerly(m): 6:09pm On Nov 20, 2015
vazuwo:

Even people who schooled in UK are not getting jobs...I wonder what this your advert is about. Caveat Emptor....

2 Likes

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by Nobody: 6:10pm On Nov 20, 2015
Why are people so ignorant. Those are monitor lizards, not iguanas

4 Likes

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by Abiagirl777(f): 6:14pm On Nov 20, 2015
grin grin

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by 12month: 6:15pm On Nov 20, 2015
Some years back my in-laws mother passed away she's frm d orogun, n she wud be buried there n her house built there.

So we attended d burial, I saw the iguanas living with people in dat town real life n it doesn't harm them.

Infact after d burial ceremony, it was evenin and we had to use our private car to convey visitors first out of the town. I was in dat orogun till around 9pm before d car finally came to pick us. We were so scared.

Funny enuf before d granny passed away in her son's house in lagos, a small iguana was often seen on their walls, n d granny warned it must not be killed.

I still miss her so much like yesterday

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by Trapnews: 6:17pm On Nov 20, 2015
190theclown:
Iguna wen sweet anyhow

Iguna wen i buy 1K5 for Abuja road during my NYSC Days more than 8years ago

The thing sweet anyhow, Nor be small roasting that day

The meat Jell anyhow

Na to enter urohobo land go begin hunt am

No time cheesy

shocked You be herbalist?

1 Share

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by SSpeter(m): 6:18pm On Nov 20, 2015
SMH.....just take a look.....this is what God gave to Africa?........During the days of their supposed ancestors men like Alexander were already conquering the world....Nebuchadnezzer supposed hanging gardens were visible...the Greeks were already debating ethics and democracy.....This people they here the worship Iguana dey shout....culture....nonsense....SMH...sip orijin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by jomoh: 6:20pm On Nov 20, 2015
Oyind17:

I will cheesy

You cannot eat an Iguana.

No one eats Iguana.

The OP is a confusionist. What the OP put there is a monitor Lizard/komodo dragon not an Iguana.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iguana

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monitor_lizard

1. Iguana
2. Monitor Lizard/Komodo dragon

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by Nobody: 6:26pm On Nov 20, 2015
That's not a n Iguana...a monitor lizard maybe, but definitely not an Iguana

1 Like

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by flokii: 6:26pm On Nov 20, 2015
what's sacred here?
all I see is meat...
abeg where those chinese guys. the older d sweeter

1 Like

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by flokii: 6:26pm On Nov 20, 2015
what's sacred here?
all I see is meat...
abeg where those chinese guys. the older d sweeter
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by jomoh: 6:27pm On Nov 20, 2015
ziddy:

Thank you o. I thought I was the only one that saw this.

People don't know the difference between a Komodo dragon/Monitor Lizard and a chameleon/Iguana.

Especially this OP. He comes with articles containing half truths. The last time I challenged him, he turned it to something else.

1 Like

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by Mckandre(m): 6:28pm On Nov 20, 2015
This ain't iguana na, its either monitor lizard or komodo dragon. iguanas are herbivorous and has been domesticated but this ones re very deadly especially the komodos which is quite a giant like crocodile but bigger. it can perform fight of dominance by standing upright on its hinge legs, it tears larger preys into two by spinning it self on the ground , the slimy siliva is considered poisonous. the first is iguana. The second is the komodo

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by Etizz: 6:29pm On Nov 20, 2015
Na true dem oh, if u see waitin do one of my friend skin wen he mistakenly passed through a place d animal was killed, he almost die oh, he has to go to d village for some traditional treatment....
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by Lagaritha(m): 6:30pm On Nov 20, 2015
This is komodo dragon and not iguana.
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by ransomed: 6:33pm On Nov 20, 2015
These animals look like Comoros Dragon and not Iguana. The adaptive radiations of these animals tend towards Comoros dragon. Any Animal Ecologist in the house to adjudge?
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by Jalinco: 6:33pm On Nov 20, 2015
It is only in Nigeria people worship pepper soup material

3 Likes

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by ProudOlodo: 6:34pm On Nov 20, 2015
ziddy:

billyG:
That is not an Iguana that is a Comondo lizard or Monitor Lizard.

Abi o. These things are not iguanas na...I was wondering when we started having Iguanas in Nigeria. They're rather monitor lizards, but not the comodo dragon. The people of Orogun don't have "Sacred Iguanas", they have "Sacred Monitor Lizards"

1 Like

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by kegoodman: 6:37pm On Nov 20, 2015
Guy pls. This is not iguanas ooo,this is commodore and it's very dangerous bcs the saliva is infested with virus and bacteria. Don't even dares,
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by Nobody: 6:37pm On Nov 20, 2015
Op thanks for this post.. Atleast there are some people from Urhobo who re like me and Fratermathy who luvs informing people about our people and culture.. Its just so unfortunate that most of Our Urhobo Sons and Daughter don't know how to speak our language neither do they understand our culture.. Wat a pity.

Lemme call on Our Okpako on this forum Cc: Olorogun chief LKO , Freemanan what you say about this ?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by ogeneochuko: 6:37pm On Nov 20, 2015
I still rep my people abeg orogun for life.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by suwalee(f): 6:42pm On Nov 20, 2015
menix:
The day I saw a video of my female friend who traveled home throwing food to this animal god made me run for my life..

Urhobo I hail una oo...
it's so true I stayed wit dem n I learnt a lot frm orogun ppl

1 Like

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by Anulux(f): 6:44pm On Nov 20, 2015
#pllsss help####

90000 is Divided between Mary,baba and Ali.Ali shares is 3/8 of baba shares and babas shares is twice that of Mary.how much does ali received
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by Truckpusher(m): 6:44pm On Nov 20, 2015
From my own understanding of these sacred animals that you'll almost find across the areas inhabited by Niger Delta indegenous people and other civilization was that it was actually a form of conservation effort by our ancestors to ensure that such animals do not go into extinction due to their limited presence in a particular area but these days civilization has finally caught up with most of them though some communities have managed to preserve them by instilling fear of offending deities if you dare kill or harm them knowingly.

3 Likes

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by Nobody: 6:45pm On Nov 20, 2015
okay...
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by alcuin(m): 6:48pm On Nov 20, 2015
SSpeter:
SMH.....just take a look.....this is what God gave to Africa?........During the days of their supposed ancestors men like Alexander were already conquering the world....Nebuchadnezzer supposed hanging gardens were visible...the Greeks were already debating ethics and democracy.....This people they here the worship Iguana dey shout....culture....nonsense....SMH...sip orijin

Funny. ...but u have NO idea about the history of the world. ,...joins in sipping Orijin
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by menix(m): 6:50pm On Nov 20, 2015
suwalee:
it's so true I stayed wit dem n I learnt a lot frm orogun ppl

So in essence u see the animal god when evil is about to come
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by helen4(f): 6:50pm On Nov 20, 2015
OP. This is very true. My village in Delta State too has this culture and traditions, but ours is cow. Nobody touches ogene's cow. They use it as sacrifice to the first man and woman that protected them during the time of war. I learnt that the man and woman were sacrificed live, plastering them in a sitting position. They still protect people i guess, because my mom had an encounter with one of them that she came home to tell the story. Most communities in Delta State still hold their tradition in high esteem no matter how religious they are.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by clefstone(m): 6:55pm On Nov 20, 2015
They r following the tradition of the Abohs from where they came. Abohs don't kill iguana also

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Some Legendary Nigerian Pictures And Quotes / Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself / South Africa Culture Shock: 2 Scantly Dressed Women, Different Public Reactions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.