Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,858 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:52 PM

How APC Govt Goofed Over N25b Deduction From TSA - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How APC Govt Goofed Over N25b Deduction From TSA (795 Views)

Nigeria Has Realised N2.7trn From TSA – Buhari / DSS Foils Attempt To Hack, Steal N4.5b From TSA / 13 Parastatals, Includng NNPC, Exempted From TSA – Daily Times Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How APC Govt Goofed Over N25b Deduction From TSA by eugyno: 8:37pm On Nov 20, 2015
Between an empty treasury and "erroneous charged" N25 billion:
Most of us know that anything can truly happen in our country. However, we were made to believe during the elections that certain things will never happen again in our country.
Yesterday I had an experience where someone (a black girl) felt so disgusted by the way someone behaved towards me. She came to this country, UK, at the age of 4. I didn't notice what she was highlighting. Depending on what stage of life one begins to integrate into a society there are certain things, particularly mannerism, which you will come to understand. And there are others you won't. The point I 'm trying to highlight is that one could mean something while communicating something entirely different. Also, one cannot understand situations beyond his level of knowledge.
A friend of mine who is a very strong supporter of APC and is presently on 'Facebook leave' once said something about 4 months ago. He said at that time that effective communication may be a huge problem with the present APC government. I added that one of their biggest blunders may turn out to be appointing Lai Mohammed as the Information Minister. As usual I gave my reasons, part of which was that he may find it difficult transforming from an opposition spokesman to a government spokesman. These are two completely different roles.
Now let me address the substantive issue. It is the 'TSA brouhaha.' I have not captioned this piece a scandal in order not to sound alarmist. However, this is a scandal by any measure, and one will understand my reasons as you read. Some people do not see anything scandalous about this, and that is completely fair. My objectives are in putting this piece together are:
1. As a citizen, to hold the government to account;
2. To address certain comments I have read on social media that either appear to excuse this unfortunate situation, or attempt to explain it away along with assurance that things can never get worse than it was under GEJ.
Let me quickly clarify that my objective is not to make anyone agree with me. This is simply my perspective on this issue.
Since Senator Melaye appeared to have opened the 'Pandora's box' one would have expected a clarification from the government. Not only did the government fail to respond immediately, we received all sorts of 'signals' from its spin agents. first we were told that;
1. Nothing wrong took place;
2. The contractual agreement was signed under GEJ.
3. We were told that it wasn't only one 'agency' that earned the income but the provider of the software and a consortium of banks.
http://www.newspunch.org/n25bln-tsa-remita-fraud-how-we-shared-money-consultant-confesses-to-buhari/
One would have expected that in view of 1 - 3 above a government spokesperson will make a public clarification on the following:
1. Who authorised the pilot scheme of the contract;
2. Who authorised the actual contract;
3. Who signed the actual contract on behalf of the country;
4. The date the actual contract was signed on behalf of the country.
5. What date the actual contract took effect;
6. The terms and conditions of the actual contract (to enable us know more about this 1% issue);
7. The contentious fees in the actual contract;
8. The exact amount that was paid to the software company;
9. The owners of the software company;
10. If errors were made, a clear apology - which should demonstrate that the government is truly sincere, and bring the matter to a close.
Today we do not know the precise facts as the government Information Minister, Lai, has barely provided any information. He has been busy calling those who exposed this fraud and those who are still asking questions names. If this is not a poor performance and an indication of things to come from an Information Minister, then I wish to be taught what it is. Previously, I wrote off the other two spokesmen, Femi Adesina and Garba Shehu. In less than 3 months of entering government some of us are beginning to rate the 'ridiculous Reuben Abati' high in relation to their performance.
However, despite 'the haziness' certain facts are clear. We know that:
1. TSA was an idea that came into being under GEJ though we were being told initially that it was part of the new initiatives by the present government in order to fight corruption;
2. Under GEJ a different software was used for the TSA;
3. GEJ's software was 'Government Integrated Financial Management Information System (GIFMIS);'
4. It was a World Bank assisted Project domiciled in the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation
5. Perhaps, this was part of what Dr Okonjo-Iweala brought to the government of Nigeria using her clout;
6. Under GEJ/Dr Okonjo-Iweala no issue of fraud was ever raised in relation to this matter;
7. GEJ's government NEVER signed any deal with SystemSpec, the providers of REMITA.
http://dailyonus.com/how-president-buhari-accountant-general-signed-tsa-agreement-with-remita-report/
Some people have come up with arguments that either defend what has happened, or attempts to explain it away. As I list them below I will either raise my question(s) and/or state my position in relation to their explanations. They include;
1. That the service provider was entitled to a commission:
It is morally wrong to create what could be perceived as a 'conduit' in public purse and call it commission. I will provide further reasons below. Private business is uniquely different from public services.
2. That the contract was signed under GEJ and that the government is legally bound:
President Buhari has reversed many of GEJ's decisions, why not this, if it is true that GEJ signed it? Also, isn't national security and public interest sufficient grounds to repudiate any or every contract?
The simple fact is that this deal stinks!!! The more people try to justify it the more it stinks:
1. Did the President not say time and again that the country is broke?;
2. Did the President not say that fighting corruption is a major part of his goal?;
3. If the payment(s) has been reversed does that not speak so loud that something patently wrong had taken place?;
4. How did the country mop up funds before this scandal - such that we now have to pay such mind bungling amounts ON A CONTINUOUS simply to use a software?
5. What about the software that was successfully used to test the TSA: 'Government Integrated Financial Management Information System (GIFMIS)? Why wasn't it used for the actual implementation? If there were any modifications required couldn't the providers be asked to do that?
6. Why has no one been sacked to this moment in relation to this scandal? Part of my grouse with GEJ was how he 'frolicked' with scandal plagued officials. E.g. going on pilgrimage with Stella Odua;
7. Have we now moved from an era when stealing was done with impunity to an era where stealing will be designed in a way that gives it legitimacy? Apologies to Fela - "authority stealing";
8. More importantly, are there other deals of this nature which we may not know of?;
Even if a contract was signed by GEJ, just as Buhari has reversed many things done under GEJ, coupled with our severely threatened finances (as Buhari has told us) why didn't he cancel this scandalous contract that has resulted in funds being reversed? The grounds could simply have been 'national security.'
This whole saga reminds me of the disaster that took place in Haiti. At that time the issue of their national debt came to the fore and there was this debate on forgiving their debts. And how much was this debt? Less than $500 million.
I recall telling a friend sarcastically that in my country that is what a retired general or politician could give his girlfriend as a gift. Why has that come into this discourse? Please read the following link and 'hear' our Information Minister. He was quoted as saying:
http://thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2015/11/tsa-fraud-allegation-lies-by-scandal-mongers-lai-mohammed/
“More importantly, at the time the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) ordered that all monies that were erroneously charged as ‘revenue’ be returned to the TSA Account late last month, the TSA had less than N800 billion."
The Minister sounds so casual about this. In Lai's world this is not a disaster in this moment of time we are being told that our country is broke. He has waved it aside as an "erroneous" charge. And for what other reason than that 1% of N800 billion is 'chicken change.' In order to put this in proper perspective lets convert N800 billion to dollar assuming that the exchange rate is 200. That comes to $4 billion.
Now look at it this way. An "erroneous charge" of $4 billion is nothing for our Information Minister to worry about. Particularly in this time his government is telling the nation that we are broke. One company and some agents would walk away with something close to $4 billion regularly (is it on a monthly basis?) for deploying a software. Please can someone tell Lai that in the U.S. and the UK, when you have $1 million people refer to it as a fortune. And here we have the Minister of Information of a country that claims to be broke referring to $4 billion as 'erroneous charges.'
He was also quoted to have said:
”But the lies that have been wilfully disseminated by scandalmongers over the TSA cannot and will not fly, because it was precisely to put an end to such impunity that Nigerians voted massively for President Muhammadu Buhari, who has an unblemished reputation for integrity, due process, transparency and the rule of law,” he said while affirming that no one has tampered with TSA Funds."
Please can someone close to Lai advise him that 'lies' went on as a result of his government's incompetence in addressing the citizens on this issue? Also, please don't forget to remind him that questioning government activities is part of our rights as citizens - not rumour mongering.
He was further quoted to have said:
”Those behind the rumour that a single company, Systemspecs, made 25 billion Naira from charging 1 per cent of TSA funds that passed through the company’s software, Remita, may need to return to elementary school to get some lessons in arithmetic.
This is because in order for 1 per cent charge to fetch 25 billion Naira, the funds accruing into the TSA must have reached 2.5 trillion Naira. Yet, the total amount of funds in the TSA to date is still much less than 2 trillion."
This takes one back to the theory of 'chicken change.' Please can someone tell Lai that even if the total amount in this scandal is just N1 trillion and not N2.5 trillion alleged - 1% of N1 trillion is about $1 billion. And that is still mind bungling!!!!!!!!!!! What makes it particularly disturbing is that this is supposed to be ongoing - a CONDUIT.
Now why is this transaction scandalous? There is no country on earth were government procures a software in such scandalous manner - creating a conduit. Government either outrightly buys the software (which will still be 'juicy' for the provider - in whatever country). Or obtains a license for its use at the same rate the license sells in the open market.
How much did Obamacare website with all its applications cost? Lets not forget that REMITA's 1% is an ongoing charge, hence my use of the word - CONDUIT.
So here we are in a country that is broke. So if not for those Lai called 'false alarm raisers' and 'scandal mongers' in about 5 years time a company would have walked away with something close to N1 trillion as commission for simply deploying a software? If this is not scandalous then I obviously don't know what a scandal is. And as Lai suggested I need to return to elementary school.
In a debate we had previously my good friend Damilola, accused GEJ's government of trying to ruin the reputation of a man like Christopher Kolade. This had to do with the SURE-P scheme. I still maintain that Kolade is a man I respect. And what brings Kolade into this issue? He is the chairman of the company involved in this mega deal, SystemSpec. Kolade is partly popular as a Business Ethics/Corporate Governance expert. I am not suggesting in any way that he is culpable. The issue here is more of competence considering his background.
Could such a strategic deal with the government with a potential to yield the company such a mind bungling revenue go on within a company without the involvement of the board of directors? What was his input?
To my friend Dami, 3 things stand out here;
1. GEJ's government was obviously corrupt;
2. We are witnessing a situation that suggests that the present government may not be any different;
3. Kolade is now beginning to feature frequently in 'such situations.' Therefore, it appears not to be particularly a 'GEJ issue' as you alleged.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How APC Govt Goofed Over N25b Deduction From TSA by AngryNigerian(m): 9:01pm On Nov 20, 2015
***yawns***

Your story be like Cyprian Ekwensi or Chinua Achebe novel...

1 Like

Re: How APC Govt Goofed Over N25b Deduction From TSA by speedyGonzales: 9:02pm On Nov 20, 2015
APC TO STEAL NAIJA DRIER THAN PDP BY END OF TERM...
Re: How APC Govt Goofed Over N25b Deduction From TSA by docadams: 9:03pm On Nov 20, 2015
Hmmmmmm
I was following you jeje on this 'cruise' but suddenly discovered you have insane views.

You are in UK abi? Pls remain there for easy access to medication.

2 Likes

Re: How APC Govt Goofed Over N25b Deduction From TSA by AngryNigerian(m): 9:09pm On Nov 20, 2015
***yawns***

Your story be like John Grisham novel...

...na now I fit finish am anyway

Pls ooo, is there actually any hope of redemption for this country
Re: How APC Govt Goofed Over N25b Deduction From TSA by Dannyset(m): 9:18pm On Nov 20, 2015
It is actually true that you can't understand situations beyond your level of knowledge. It is crystal clear from your article.
Re: How APC Govt Goofed Over N25b Deduction From TSA by Nobody: 10:04pm On Nov 20, 2015
Liar mohhamed employed alot of ndi iberibe from Southwest to always defend him on nairaland.

APC! CHAINS!
APC! CHAINS!

CHAIN ZOOGERIANS! APC.

Buhari is a scam.
APC is a scam.
Lia mohammed, amaechi, osinbanjo, all his ministers, pa's, sa's are scammers.

1 Like

Re: How APC Govt Goofed Over N25b Deduction From TSA by mazeltov(m): 10:08pm On Nov 20, 2015
Honestly I'm a lazy reader but your article caught my attention and as a concerned citizen, I have to comment.
After reading it, I was able to pick out three points and they are 1. The 1% charges. 2. Who made deal with Remita. 3. How Lai Mohammed fall our hands and that's the summary of the article.

Yes you are right and have the right to nail Apc for not providing adequate information to calm the ignorance of the citizens after all they are the ruling party so they have access to information. As a ruling party, you must go at any extent to put your followers on the right path by releasing first hand information and not propaganda or half baked truth. In this aspect, Apc led administration has failed its duties under the wing of minister of information. They only succeded in recommending Elemantary school for Fayose and that has not extensively address the burning problems. We are all looking up to Apc. Not everybody can invoke freedom of information to access for government information so we expect Apc to come down to the level of we villagers and carry us along but they have failed in this part. I still don't want to believe that Apc is an upgraded version of Pdp.

[b]Pdp on the other hand are just set of confused minds hallucinating under their umbrela - raising dust to throw people into state of confusion. Pdp as an opposition party has also failed to provide adequate information to supress the ignorance of Nigerians as regards to this TSA. Pdp only focus its wide-eyed attention on 1% benefits and the owners of Remita. All what Pdp is trying to do is to let Nigerians think that Remita belongs to Tinubu (Tinubu don suffer) and the 1 percent goes to Apc account. Pdp as an opposition has also failed to perform its duties by throwing more light about this TSA if Apc has been lying to us. If Pdp knows that Apc is trying to milk our financial resources with this TSA, I was expecting them to come out and publicise every information they know about it instead of asking Apc to tell us the owners of Remita and the deal. Let's be honest, Pdp can't claim ignorant about this TSA issues. Fayose also need to learn a lot about actiong as an opposition leader. You don't draw people's attention to something when you have no genuine information as back up.[/b]

When Apc lied against Pdp that it was Jonathan that made deal with Remita company, I was expecting Pdp to come and bounce off that information .
Re: How APC Govt Goofed Over N25b Deduction From TSA by bestads(m): 4:59am On Nov 21, 2015
docadams:
Hmmmmmm
I was following you jeje on this 'cruise' but suddenly discovered you have insane views.

You are in UK abi? Pls remain there for easy access to medication.

Oni Ranu please read comprehend well, your blackberry and facebook short hand short messages have blurred your ability to comprehend long articles

(1) (Reply)

Biafra Is Dead, We Are Ready To Support Buhari –Ohaneze Ndigbo / People Emulating Buhari: Transport, Work And Housing Combined [see Photo] / Kogi:IGALAS Should Desist From Attacking Tinubu And Yoruba For Their Failures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.